Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Being a Photographer > Off Topic

Off Topic Feel like venting or just passing a joke? If so, do it here. Please keep it clean. Minors do visit this site.

Let's see some wristwatches!
Old 05-05-2012   #1
bjornkeizers

Let's see some wristwatches!

Ten years or so ago, I started collecting watches. I love everything both technical, mechanical and, artsy designed and geeky in nature, and watches feed into that love just nicely.

There are a few great watch forums, such as Watchuseek.com and pmwf.com . And as I've seen over the years, most watch collectors have a certain passion for photography as well.

So, let's see if the reverse is true. Judging from a poll I saw elsewhere on the forum, I expect there are quite a few people here that own some nice mechanical, vintage and/or other high end pieces.

I own about 80 watches, so I'm not going to post them all.

From the mechanical and vintage section of the watch box, 1971 Seiko 6139, 1972 Omega Dynamic and Double Rhomb handwinder.

Designer and modern: a LIP Mach 2000. 70's design by Roger Tallon, who also designed the high speed TGV Train.

I'm proud to say; Lip actually liked my photo's so much, they use them on their website to sell the watch in question. No, they didn't ask me. Nor do I receive any compensation... I don't really get my photo's published, so I don't think I'll start a riot over it.

Another one of my favorites: Omega Speedmaster X33. These are actually quite rare since only a small number were ever sold to the public. It wasn't a crowd pleaser: very high cost, 'cheap' feel due to light titanium and it was a quartz digital.

Guess who their biggest customer was and is? NASA. The Omega X33 is the actual watch that astronauts get issued. Whenever you see images from the Space Shuttle or ISS, there's an X33 somewhere in the pic. They have several great functions for space travel, namely several long timers, high resistance to G-forces and an alarm loud enough to wake the dead (i.e. hear it over the roar of the Space Shuttle engines!)

My 'daily driver' is more down to earth, namely a Breitling Airwolf. Very nicely built, a bit flashy for my taste and combines all the functions I need.

Pentax Auto 110 - Polaroid 1000 Land Camera & CPII - Fuji Instax Mini 7S - Ricoh FF70 - Olympus XA1, XA2, Mju II - Bronica ETRS - Holga 120 - Diana 120 - Lomo Fisheye 110

Old 05-05-2012   #2
dave lackey

Hey, thanks for starting this thread...my trusty old watch has died. My old vintage Bulova died too after running only 2 years since getting it running.

I really miss a good watch. Maybe someone can post really nice AFFORDABLE watches that meet the following preferences?

1. Mechanical...to match my cameras.
2. Leather or metal band...depends on the watch, I suppose.
3. As close to a Rolex as we can get for very little money....

Dave

Old 05-05-2012   #3
dave lackey

Bjorn, those are nice watches. Since I just walked in with the grandkids, I will review them in detail when I have more time..

Dave

Old 05-06-2012   #4
bjornkeizers

Thanks Dave. There are actually more then a few watches that fit those criteria you mentioned.

If you want something that really looks like a Rolex, your best bet is probably Steinhart. http://www.steinhartwatches.de/en/

They specialize in what are known as 'homages'; they mimic well known Rolex models that are usually long out of production. They are based in Switzerland and use Swiss movements that are quite reliable. They are also capable dive watches, just like the real Rolex. They cost about 500 euros and you can find them cheaper in the US.

Go to the site, click 'collection', 'dive watches', then browse the list on the left. The Ocean 1 black looks most like the classic Submariner.

If you want just a really kick-ass dive watch with vague Rolex-like touches, you can go even cheaper and buy any number of excellent Seikos. Produced in Japan with good, workhorse movements. They lack the polish of Rolex, but you'll be hard pressed to buy anything better and more reliable. I'd recommend the SKX009 or SKX007. They cost about 150 euros.

Pentax Auto 110 - Polaroid 1000 Land Camera & CPII - Fuji Instax Mini 7S - Ricoh FF70 - Olympus XA1, XA2, Mju II - Bronica ETRS - Holga 120 - Diana 120 - Lomo Fisheye 110

Old 05-07-2012   #5
Frontman

Here's mine, being admired by an unlikely fan,

Old 05-07-2012   #6
shadowfox
Darkroom printing lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjornkeizers View Post
Designer and modern: a LIP Mach 2000. 70's design by Roger Tallon, who also designed the high speed TGV Train.

I'm proud to say; Lip actually liked my photo's so much, they use them on their website to sell the watch in question. No, they didn't ask me. Nor do I receive any compensation... I don't really get my photo's published, so I don't think I'll start a riot over it.
Bjorn,
You don't have to start a riot over it.
But a polite and clear letter to Lip asking that your name be displayed as the credit for the photograph is a good thing to do.

This is a matter of whether you respect your own work, which is clearly good enough for others to appreciate.

Old 05-07-2012   #7
dave lackey

Excellent advice from Will. To the company, it is just goodwill, to you it is the right thing to do and for the profession of photography, it is important even to those of us who just struggle to sell anything.

Great photos btw. You need to be given credit.

Dave

Old 05-08-2012   #8
Efra1

Hi bjornkeizers congratulations, you have a good collection.
I have the X-33 , is my only one quarz watach, the other are all mechanical, but the X-33 is the more versatile.

Old 05-09-2012   #9
bjornkeizers

Thanks guys; guess I'll fire off a letter to Lip's parent company and we'll see where we end up.

Efra,

Good to meet another down-to-earth X33 owner What other mechanicals do you own then? One of my personal favorites is another Omega, namely the 2531.80.00 Seamaster Professional 'James Bond' version. This is the watch type worn by Pierce Brosnan as Bond.

Old 05-09-2012   #10
dave lackey

I swear, the more I look at your product photos of these watches, the more I am impressed!

Dave

Old 05-09-2012   #11
robklurfield
eclipse

blog: http://hemi-sphericalaberration.blogspot.com/

google +: gplus.to/robklurfield

"I'm sure it wouldn't interest anybody
outside of a small circle of friends." - Phil Ochs

"His photos are saturated with obviousness, mental inertia, clichés and bad jokes." -http://www.500letters.org/form_15.php

I point. I shoot. sometimes, I focus first.

Old 05-09-2012   #12
robklurfield
eclipse

"His photos are saturated with obviousness, mental inertia, clichés and bad jokes." -http://www.500letters.org/form_15.php

Old 05-09-2012   #13
robklurfield
eclipse

Old 05-09-2012   #14
robklurfield
eclipse

Old 05-09-2012   #15
dave lackey

Excellent Rob! Discriminating RFF members for sure....

Dave

Old 05-09-2012   #16
robklurfield
eclipse

Old 05-10-2012   #17
Efra1

bjornkeizers, if I founf time I´ll post some pics of them.
I have the Rolex Explorer 2 Black Dial, Rolex Submariner, Panerai 183 Black Seal, IWC 3377 PilotCrono, the X-33 and one of my fav the Speedmaster Double Zaphire...
In some boxes I also hace many Hamiltons and a lot of Russian movements, and a small collection of Seikon Chronos from the 70¨s

Old 05-10-2012   #18
bjornkeizers

Good to see I was right - Photography fans indeed have excellent taste in watches! Very classy selections Rob & Efra.

Brands like Patek and IWC are understated elegance at its finest. Plus, you can wear one without looking too flashy. They fly under the radar, unlike Rolex, Breitling or Omega which are known as 'rich guy watches'. Few people would recognize something like a classy IWC pilot chronograph.

I personally enjoy wearing just about every type and brand of watch. I own expensive ones and cheap ones, known brands to home-builts. And I really have a soft spot for the Casio G-Shock. These are really great Japanese watches introduced in the early 80's. They are shock proof, water resistant to 20 bar, they last forever on batteries... and they have all the functions you need at a price of well below $150 or so. Plus, there's a color for every occasion. Also great for when all your mechanical watches are stopped and you don't feel like winding them

Old 05-11-2012   #19
David Hughes
David Hughes

Will this do? Found in a flea market...

Regards, David

Old 05-11-2012   #20
ped
Small brown dog

Great, I love watches. It's quite interesting to photograph them because there are so many possibilities for arrangement and they are tricky in their own 'reflective' way.

I'll post a pic or two later

ped

Old 05-11-2012   #21
dave lackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hughes View Post
Will this do? Found in a flea market...

Regards, David
Yes! How much do you want for it?

Dave

Old 05-11-2012   #22
David Hughes
David Hughes

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave lackey View Post
Yes! How much do you want for it?
Hi,

You mean it might be worth something?

This one keeps better time.

But the photo is somewhat distorted as I took it from the side to get rid of the reflections...

Regards, David

Old 05-20-2012   #23
135format

My currently in use watch is an Enicar Sherpa Ultradive which have had and used for 40 years. Cost £20 new in a sale when bought. I rekon its worth £400 now so has probably kept pace with inflation.

Old 05-21-2012   #24
135format

I gotta ask, has anyone ever actually used the tachymeter on a watch bezel to calculate your speed over distance?

Old 05-21-2012   #25
-doomed-
film is exciting

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave lackey View Post
Hey, thanks for starting this thread...my trusty old watch has died. My old vintage Bulova died too after running only 2 years since getting it running.

I really miss a good watch. Maybe someone can post really nice AFFORDABLE watches that meet the following preferences?

1. Mechanical...to match my cameras.
2. Leather or metal band...depends on the watch, I suppose.
3. As close to a Rolex as we can get for very little money....
Im a big fan of what Orient and Seiko puts out, tough, well built and affordable. Though I also like some of my Fossil watches quite a bit as well.

Old 05-22-2012   #26
-doomed-
film is exciting

Snapped a shot of my Orient.

Mako II aka Big Mako.

Old 05-22-2012   #27
ped
Small brown dog

Mondaine 42mm by chiscocks, on Flickr

Longines Legend Diver by chiscocks, on Flickr

Chronotac Explorer by chiscocks, on Flickr

A few of my faves. The Longines is the one I wear every day.

Old 05-22-2012   #28
-doomed-
film is exciting

@ Ped, that Longines legend diver is an awesome looking watch.

Old 05-22-2012   #29
mathomas

A few from my collection:

vostok amphibia 1967 reissue by mike thomas, on Flickr

lum-tec super combat b1 by mike thomas, on Flickr

steinhart "vintage" nav-b chrono ii black dlc by mike thomas, on Flickr

seiko 6159-6002 by mike thomas, on Flickr

Old 05-22-2012   #30
ped
Small brown dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by -doomed- View Post
@ Ped, that Longines legend diver is an awesome looking watch.
Thanks, it's quite subtle and I live the compressor case. You can always spot a watch fan as they'll comment but it's not huge and 'in your face'.

Old 05-23-2012   #31
David Hughes
David Hughes

Interesting, I had one of the fat waterproof etc Omegas and didn't like it as it was seldom waterproof and getting it sorted out was a pita. (They say Omega in the UK have changed since then.) I also had a Govt. issue black faced one with the broad arrow on it and it was another pita due to erratic time keeping. (They said that some had soft hair springs and they got caught up from time to time and then freed themselves... I don't know if that it true.) Luckily we had burglars and I used some of the insurance money to buy these two.

They actually keep good time but skipping the 31st is fiddly and you can move the hands by mistake. And after a while you don't bother too much.

Regards, David

PS The Omega I bought in the market has made up for the first two several times over.

Old 05-23-2012   #32
bjornkeizers

Wow some nice additions gentlemen! I see we as a group prefer the slightly obscure, understated watches to the flashy stuff that's in stores these days. Also good to see that there are more then a few automatics / handwinders around. That's definitely a sign of a watch lover rather then a watch wearer.

I usually don't show past watches, but it seems appropriate for the moment. Had this Epos 3366 for a while. Nice and big watch with a lovely decorated ETA 6497-2 movement in it. Handwound, of course. I rather enjoyed taking it off and putting it down with the back facing me. In fact, the back was what sold me on it... As such, it didn't really get the wear that it deserved, so I let it go.

And the front:

Old 05-30-2012   #33
gilpen123
Gil

"Imagination is more important than knowledge"

Old 05-30-2012   #34
mrtoml

Sony: A7Rii, RX100M4, X100, FE 50/1.8, FE 85/1.8, FE 24-105mm G, FE 70-300mm G, Samyang FE 35/2.8.
Fuji: XPro1, XT2, 18-55mm kit lens, XF 27/2.8.
Nikon: FG, EM, D3300, D7100; Nikon manual lenses: 50/1.8, 50E, 28E, 75-150E, 36-75/3.3-4.5, 35/2, 85/2; Nikon AF: 17-55mm and 55-200mm DX kit zooms.
Instant: Lomo Instant Wide, Fuji Instax 300, Polaroid Spectra Elite, Polaroid Impulse AF.
Others: Olympus XA, XA2, Ricoh GR Digital II, Shen Hao 4x5.

https://altdigitalphoto.smugmug.com

Old 09-12-2012   #35
-doomed-
film is exciting

Latest acquisition:
It was between an M8 or this, I made the right decision.

Old 10-26-2012   #36
ray_g
>

And I thought cameras were an expensive hobby...

Old 01-17-2013   #37
dedmonds

Old 01-18-2013   #38
David Hughes
David Hughes

Amazing what you can find wandering about whilst your wife is wondering about duck eggs on a stall...

It's a bit bashed and battered but has the correct buckle to the tatty strap. I ought to replace the winder button but haven't got around to it because the only person I know who can do it only looks into his daughter's shop for a day or two each week to do all the odd repair jobs and I've not caught him there yet. The proportions look wrong in this photo but the thing is only about 3/4 of an inch across the face.

Regards, David

Old 01-18-2013   #39
Paps Guattro

2010 Deep Sea Sea Dweller on rubber
1978 Submariner on canvas Nato

Old 02-12-2013   #40
dedmonds