Old 03-31-2018   #41
lawrence

They will need to change their name to FujiDigi or something...

Old 03-31-2018   #42
Nokton48

Like Cal I will need to check my 120 Acros inventory. This is two minutes at f11 in a 6x9cm Plaubel Makiflex.
Black 150mm Schneider Symmar-S barrel mount lens.

Ohio State University Library of Geology, Columbus Ohio

Makiflex Acros 150 SymmarS by Nokton48, on Flickr

Old 03-31-2018   #43
Roger Hicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by FujiLove View Post
Not good news. But looks exactly the same as T-Max 100, Delta 100 and FP4+ to me, so I’m not going to stress about it.
Wow. All four look fairly different to me, but with Acros easily the worst (or at least, the most finicky and slowest).

Cheers,

R.

Old 03-31-2018   #44
Larry Cloetta

Quote:
looks exactly the same as T-Max 100, Delta 100 and FP4+ to me,
Let's get rid of two of those then.

Old 03-31-2018   #45
Brian Legge

Those are fighting words. Acros at 50 in Rodinal has been my go to any time I have enough light. The tonality and fine grain gave me the look I wanted. It also had a nicer, low curl base than the Kodak film I shot in 35mm.

Add me to the list of people debating a huge Acros purchase vs figuring out how to get similar results from Delta 100.

Old 03-31-2018   #46
KM-25

I really only use it in 120 and find Tmax 100 just as good for the most part. I'll order another 100 rolls and be done with it, use it only for long exposure stuff.

At least we have Kodak and Ilford kicking out the goods.

Old 03-31-2018   #47
Roger Hicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Legge View Post
Those are fighting words. Acros at 50 in Rodinal has been my go to any time I have enough light. The tonality and fine grain gave me the look I wanted. It also had a nicer, low curl base than the Kodak film I shot in 35mm.

Add me to the list of people debating a huge Acros purchase vs figuring out how to get similar results from Delta 100.
Dear Brian,

As I said: slow and finicky. I've seen stunning results from it, and had a couple of successes myself, but I never thought it was worth the effort.

Sure, that's just me, but my point was that whether you like it or not, it is very different from Delta 100, TMX and FP4.

Cheers,

R.

Old 03-31-2018   #48
Roger Hicks

Quote:
Roger, I’m sure YOU can pick each one out in a final mounted print, but how many other people can do the same? Not me, that’s for sure.

I concede that the Fuji film is great for night shooting with its relative lack of reciprocity failure though.
Not with anything like 100% accuracy, but generally, yes, I see differences; and when it comes to my own prints I see quite a lot of difference.

Cheers,

R.

Old 03-31-2018   #49
Larry Cloetta

Quote:
Roger, I’m sure YOU can pick each one out in a final mounted print, but how many other people can do the same? Not me, that’s for sure.
Given subject matter which contains the “right” colors, which can happpen any time, I am sure you and everyone else would immediately notice that ACROS does not look like Tmax 100, not really. ACROS has reduced red sensitivity, and Tmax films have “normal” pan red sensitivity, and reduced blue sensitivity. It’s not night and day, but they are not interchangeable either.
The whole ACROS “orthopanchromatic” thing, on which one can find a variety of inconclusive meandering threads on the interweb.
Whether or not one likes that particular charactistic of ACROS is another matter entirely, but it does respond to light in a different way, differences which will be baked into the cake no matter how you develop it, or anything else.
But, yes, there are other high resolution, fine grained films out there.

Old 03-31-2018   #50
valdas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Cloetta View Post
The whole ACROS “orthopanchromatic” thing, on which one can find a variety of inconclusive meandering threads on the interweb.
Whether or not one likes that particular charactistic of ACROS is another matter entirely, but it does respond to light in a different way, differences which will be baked into the cake no matter how you develop it, or anything else.
But, yes, there are other high resolution, fine grained films out there.
As far as “orthopanchromatic” goes, we have Adox Silvermax, Adox CMS 20 and probably some more if you want reduced red sensitivity... And I still have around 100 rolls of Efke R50 in my freezer...

Old 03-31-2018   #51
filmtwit
Desperate but not serious

5 packs via Freestyle are still at a good price. Just sayin' . . .

The Flickr Stream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/filmtwit/

The Blog (Boring Sidney, Boring)
http://jeffthomasallen.blogspot.com/

Old 03-31-2018   #52
znapper

Shoot it at 400, develop for 10 minutes in hc-110 b.

More bite, less grain than any 400-film.

Old 03-31-2018   #53
rfaspen

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmtwit View Post
5 packs via Freestyle are still at a good price. Just sayin' . . .
Thanks.

I never kept too much Acros in the freezer. Not because I didn't like it just fine. I did like Neopan more, but I didn't have much of that either.

Why? Prices for Fuji BW films in my neck of the woods were always a bit high, and I was always a bit poor, and there were always some alternatives with lower prices.

The reciprocity (or lack of) feature of Acros is the reason why I will grab some now. But not too much. I still need to keep my budget in mind.

Old 03-31-2018   #54
css9450

The shipping department at B&H will be running overtime after the Passover holiday...

Old 03-31-2018   #55
Rayt

Quote:
Originally Posted by css9450 View Post
The shipping department at B&H will be running overtime after the Passover holiday...
Couldn’t wait so ordered from Freestyle!

Old 03-31-2018   #56
michaelwj
----------------

So it’s a shame the Fuji is cutting another film, but given their history what surprises me is that anyone is surprised when they announce they are cutting another one. Soon they will have cut all their film except the Instax range.
When (if) Ferriana get their slide production up in 135 and 120 I won’t use any Fuji products, their intentions are clear, they have no future in film.

I would be more shocked if Ilford started cutting films or if Kodak started cutting film again. But I struggle to be shocked when Fuji cut another film.

Old 04-01-2018   #57
Fotohuis

It is a logical step for a big multinational leaving the analogue film market. Comparing to Ilford or Kodak Fuji had a relative small part in the B&W film market. Of course a pity another film will be lost and especially a modern type with a good reciprocity failure, fine grain and in production from 35mm till sheet film without manufacturer problems. It is clear that the type of analogue photography is in a niche market and there will be no place for big multinationals anymore.

Old 04-01-2018   #58
jsrockit

It would've been better if this news came out today...

Rip: Acros
Old 04-01-2018   #59
richardHaw
junk scavenger

Rip: Acros

yes, they're killing it this October

sad news, i hope its some april fools joke
http://www.richardhaw.com

Old 04-02-2018   #60
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKR View Post
Hi John & Cal;

I use a lot in 135. It's my tripod film.. no reciprocity failure. The other film I use is HP5. I have some Acros left in the frig. I guess i'll move to Ilford for all my film. Too bad, after their "we're committed to film" Ads of a couple of years ago .. just Ad hype.
PKR,

For tripod night shooting it is unbeatable.

For 135 I'm considering using exclusively Kodak 5222. This is the last of the true thick silver rich emulsions left. I get 400 ISO in Diafine 4+4.

For 120 I'm Ilford also (FP4 and HP5), but I'm also using Berger Pancro 400, Rollie 400S, and am looking forward to P30 in 120.

Cal

Old 04-02-2018   #61
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Quote:
Nice, quality film, one of my favorites. Ah well. Just bought as much as I could afford. Maybe it will last as long as I do.
I used to think that if they ever quit making ACROS that would be the end, I would quit shooting film entirely, and slink back to digital (“It’s sharper!” they screamed), but, now that the time has come, I think I will just putter on, screwing up some other emulsion.
Larry,

I'm with you: a film die-hard. As long as there is film I'll be shooting it. Limited selection of films adds a creative challenge.

Cal

Old 04-03-2018   #62
css9450

Must be somewhat of a buying splurge these past few days. B&H is out of 35mm, and Freestyle is out of 120. Should be just temporary though it sounds like.

Old 04-03-2018   #63
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

I have 30 rolls of Acros 120 in my fridge. This film is now old. I filled the freezer back when Adorama had a price of $3.89 a roll. At that time B&H was selling Acros for $4.59.

Also I remember loading the truck when rebranded Acros was sold at $1.89 a roll in 135 because it was close-dated. I used the last of this 135 Last year.

I hope to use all this old film and restock with fresh film soon.

Cal

Old 04-03-2018   #64
ACullen

I’ve used Acros only in 120 and liked what I’ve seen. Developed in Rodinal only so far. I’ve placed a modest order for low light use. I’m otherwise happy with Delta 100 or FP4. Both different of course but equally valid. If P30 becomes available in 120 I’ll certainly try it. It’s a shame that Fuji are doing this but it’s their business.

Old 04-03-2018   #65
borge

So is this confirmed yet? Or is it still just a loose rumor?

I love Acros 100 @ 400 developed either in HC-110B or Xtol.
That said, the film emulsion itself is the only one that has ever given me problems. It seems like the film itself is very thick, stiff and brittle. It's the only film that has ever cracked/snapped inside of my camera. And it's always the worst one to develop. And it gives the chemicals a distinct magenta cast immediately after one use.

I love the look, but I hate the material it's made of, and how it pollutes my chemicals.

Old 04-03-2018   #66
BLKRCAT
99% Film

Doesn't surprise me. I've predicted this every time Fuji cuts a film which is why I refuse to shoot their films. I don't want to shoot and fall in love with a film that has a grey and unpredictable future. Granted, all films arguably have an unpredictable future but Fuji I have the absolute least faith in.

With so many companies coming out with new films and overall the market seems to be growing again I speculate that there's an agenda over at fuji that's independent from the market.

Old 04-03-2018   #67
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLKRCAT View Post
With so many companies coming out with new films and overall the market seems to be growing again I speculate that there's an agenda over at fuji that's independent from the market.
It could be that the other companies focus on film and have a much smaller operation with much lower expectations though...

Old 04-03-2018   #68
Larry Cloetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calzone View Post
I have 30 rolls of Acros 120 in my fridge. This film is now old. I filled the freezer back when Adorama had a price of $3.89 a roll. At that time B&H was selling Acros for $4.59.

Also I remember loading the truck when rebranded Acros was sold at $1.89 a roll in 135 because it was close-dated. I used the last of this 135 Last year.

I hope to use all this old film and restock with fresh film soon.

Cal
If I was reading dates correctly, the Japanese dealer information was released after B and H and Adorama had already closed for the holiday. Rumor or not, I ordered everything I could while the old prices were still listed on the B and H site, thinking that they would honor those prices.
When 4x5 ACROS was discontinued, the pricing went way up fairly quickly if I recall correctly. Same thing with 400x.
Will be interesting/discouraging to see what happens with this now, but I’m not sure I’d wait till later to buy, if wanting some.
Though that’s much conjecture on my part.

Old 04-03-2018   #69
jonmanjiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonmanjiro View Post
Just found the full page elsewhere:

Quote:
Originally Posted by borge View Post
So is this confirmed yet? Or is it still just a loose rumor?
100% confirmed. The above Japanese language notification is what Fujifilm sent to film resellers in Japan. Last shipments from the factory expected in October 2018, and the shipped film will have an expiry date of October 2019.

Old 04-03-2018   #70
Larry Cloetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLKRCAT View Post
I don't want to shoot and fall in love with a film that has a grey and unpredictable future.
It’s better to have loved and lost, than never to have loved at all.

Old 04-03-2018   #71
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Quote:
If I was reading dates correctly, the Japanese dealer information was released after B and H and Adorama had already closed for the holiday. Rumor or not, I ordered everything I could while the old prices were still listed on the B and H site, thinking that they would honor those prices.
When 4x5 ACROS was discontinued, the pricing went way up fairly quickly if I recall correctly.
Will be interesting/discouraging to see what happens with this now, but I’m not sure I’d wait till later to buy, if wanting some.
Though that’s much conjecture on my part.
Larry,

Thanks for the inside info.

Seems like it would be smart to lock in the prices like you did, as back orders, even if you have to wait.

BTW it is helpful to use Acros as much as possible now to avoid having later remorse. One of the reasons why I try to shoot as much film as possible because one day I will be mucho glad to not have the remorse of not have exploited the opportunity when I had the chance. Basically not waste an opportunity.

Cal

Old 04-03-2018   #72
WJJ3

Quote:
100% confirmed. The above Japanese language notification is what Fujifilm sent to film resellers in Japan. Last shipments from the factory expected in October 2018, and the shipped film will have an expiry date of October 2019.
Sad news! It's really disappointing Fuji is giving up. Won't be long 'till they are just a lame cosmetics company!

Flickr

Old 04-03-2018   #73
Nokton48

I still have Neopan 120 in my deep freeze. I don't use much Acros, but I'll buy some to stock up on it. Only have six rolls on hand right now.

Old 04-03-2018   #74
Larry Cloetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJJ3 View Post
Sad news! It's really disappointing Fuji is giving up. Won't be long 'till they are just a lame cosmetics company!
If women had no access to cosmetics, that would be a worse world than us not having access to film.
Just kidding. (Not really.)

Old 04-03-2018   #75
borge

Quote:
Thanks. That's sad. I prefer Acros 100 @ 400 over any of the 400 speed emulsions (TX400, Delta 400, HP5+). Oh well. I guess Fuji will bounce back with some re-issues of popular films after they realize that their X-series digital cameras won't take over the world.

Old 04-03-2018   #76
taemo

I read an online article on why they think Fuji killed Acros and it was because they teared down their equipment in the late 2000s after making the last batches of Acros 100.
They though the batches would last them long enough however they did not expect the film 'renaissance' stage we are experiencing now.

Time for me to buy 10-20 rolls and store them in the freezer.
Not a deal breaker for me though as I also like Delta 100 and FP4+.

Old 04-03-2018   #77
BLKRCAT
99% Film

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
It could be that the other companies focus on film and have a much smaller operation with much lower expectations though...
It's true. 100%. But take Kodak for instance. They would have had the same size operation and same expectations as fuji. They had a bit of a late start at reforming but they did. The fact that they are bringing back both tmax 3200 as well as ektachrome really shows their commitment to their customers.

Fuji on the other hand, never took note from Kodak. With Acros, Neopan 400 and a good chunk of E6 that only leaves them with what?, some color reversal? It's only a matter of time before that's slashed too. Kodak has really made a good name for themselves with their portra line. It's tough competition out there.

By this time next year I could see fuji cutting the last of what's remaining.

Old 04-03-2018   #78
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Quote:
If women had no access to cosmetics, that would be a worse world than us not having access to film.
Just kidding. (Not really.)
Larry,

My gal is a fashion blogger with over 478K followers, and she gets "gifted" mucho high end cosmetics, clothing and shoes. I am literally getting squeezed out of my apartment. LOL. Many packages just get piled up unopened.

Too much of a good thing, and presently unsustainable. Not kidding.

All I need is a few films and I'm happy. Acros though is special for night photography.

Cal

Old 04-03-2018   #79
Larry Cloetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calzone View Post
Larry,

My gal is a fashion blogger with over 478K followers, and she gets "gifted" mucho high end cosmetics, clothing and shoes. I am literally getting squeezed out of my apartment. LOL. Many packages just get piled up unopened.

Too much of a good thing, and presently unsustainable. Not kidding.

All I need is a few films and I'm happy. Acros though is special for night photography.

Cal
Cal,

That’s funny, but that’s how marketing works these days, in part. Would be interesting to know if camera bloggers get the same level of swag, or disclose it. Though not sure how many camera bloggers have 478k followers, which would be the key to freebies.

Larry

Old 04-03-2018   #80
BLKRCAT
99% Film

They do.

10 characters.