Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Sony Alpha / NEX Mirrorless > Sony Alpha Mirrorless - All Models

This Guy Sliced Off the Viewfinder of His Sony Full Frame Camera
Old 10-12-2017   #1
nightfly

Thought people might enjoy this:

https://petapixel.com/2017/10/12/guy...-frame-camera/

Old 10-12-2017   #2
Ronald M

Beautiful workmanship.

Being cheap guy, I would have just sold it.

Old 10-12-2017   #3
davidnewtonguitars
Family Snaps

This story makes me happy.

Old 10-13-2017   #4
jsrockit

Not really understanding the reason why... but ok.

Old 10-13-2017   #5
Out to Lunch

Quote:
Which reminds me about a story of a woman slicing off a part of her husband -it was not his nose. At least in that case, I understood why she did it.

Old 10-13-2017   #6
nukecoke
⚛Yashica

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
Not really understanding the reason why... but ok.
In the original post he said that he didn't like the design of the EVF bump.

flickr(abandoned)

About Film Cameras

Old 10-13-2017   #7
rcubed
Canadian

I remember when I bought a A6500 as a 'travel camera' to compliment my A7ii and realized that it was just as big without the "Prism bump".
This pretty much makes it the same size as the A6500 but with a FF sensor.

Old 10-13-2017   #8
MaxElmar

HEY! Now there's room to put a rangefinder/viewfinder on top! Now THAT really would be impressive. I saw a Canon 7 RF assembly on the bay the other day...

Still Photographically Uncool
https://www.flickr.com/photos/xenotar/

Old 10-13-2017   #9
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

I'm also not OK with A7 VF, but not to point of vandalizing it. I just don't have it.
What surprising me is how well camera is made. Even after vandalizing it doesn't block itself on the boot.

Old 10-13-2017   #10
BillBingham2

I wonder if anyone has thought of covering the A7 finder bump with the top of a Nikon FTn meter prism?

That would be so retro........hip......ok, maybe not.

B2 (;->

Old 10-13-2017   #11
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukecoke View Post
In the original post he said that he didn't like the design of the EVF bump.
Right... I understood that. But I would just deal with it or buy a different camera.

Old 10-13-2017   #12
DougFord
on the good foot

...now graft the Sony EVF hump onto an M9.

the walk

Old 10-13-2017   #13
Archlich

Quote:
Right... I understood that. But I would just deal with it or buy a different camera.
Remember we have quite a handful of projects taking the MP's meter out here at RFF...same thing.

Old 10-13-2017   #14
Emile de Leon

He shoulda just taken off the rear screen too..and he woulda had a Leica MD...

Old 10-13-2017   #15
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archlich View Post
Remember we have quite a handful of projects taking the MP's meter out here at RFF...same thing.
Not really the same... taking the meter out of a MP is because they wanted their MP to be more like a classic meter less Leica, M3/M2/M4... Leicas are purist cameras. However, taking a useful option such as a VF off of a camera seems a bit weird to me... but then again, there aren't any FF mirrorless cameras without a VF right now to buy. It's his loot, but as someone who just photographs... I would have used it as is.

Old 10-13-2017   #16
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Quote:
Not really the same... taking the meter out of a MP is because they wanted their MP to be more like a classic meter less Leica, M3/M2/M4... Leicas are purist cameras. However, taking a useful option such as a VF off of a camera seems a bit weird to me... but then again, there aren't any FF mirrorless cameras without a VF right now to buy. It's his loot, but as someone who just photographs... I would have used it as is.

A bit like buying a V12 and cutting four cylinders off it because you prefer V8s. lol

Old 10-13-2017   #17
peterm1

Cool! I think I will slice off the lens mount on mine........................it keeps taking crappy photos.

Old 10-13-2017   #18
Chris101
summicronia

I wonder if anyone has removed the sensor and associated electronics, then replaced that with a film advance system? It'd have to be a DSLR or other camera with a real shutter of course.

:P

Last edited by Chris101 : 10-13-2017 at 17:57. Reason: grammar!

Old 10-13-2017   #19
peterm1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris101 View Post
I wonder if anyone has removed the sensor and associated electronics, then replaced that with a film advance system? It'd have to be a DSLR or other camera with a real shutter of course.

:P
No but I see that some camera firms are cashing in on the Hipster love of retro by producing a new digital camera that pretends to be film - even to the point of needing a digital film cartridge. Seems silly to me but Hipsters will love it for a while and it will become a cult classic when it dies. Oh and I see the advertising material announces that the lens has real glass. Wow. :^)

https://www.engadget.com/2017/10/11/...x-film-camera/

https://petapixel.com/2017/10/10/yas...ux-film-rolls/

Old 10-13-2017   #20
Chris101
summicronia

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterm1 View Post
No but I see that some camera firms are cashing in on the Hipster love of retro by producing a new digital camera that pretends to be film - even to the point of needing a digital film cartridge. Seems silly to me but Hipsters will love it for a while and it will become a cult classic when it dies. Oh and I see the advertising material announces that the lens has real glass. Wow. :^)

https://www.engadget.com/2017/10/11/...x-film-camera/

https://petapixel.com/2017/10/10/yas...ux-film-rolls/
Wow. Do you get the winsome millennial girl photographer with it?

Old 10-13-2017   #21
Huss

While I would prefer the regular A7, I admire the dood's skills to be able to perform this.
Way out of my league!

Old 10-13-2017   #22
Steve M.

"Which reminds me about a story of a woman slicing off a part of her husband -it was not his nose"......

I do not doubt it for a second. Right now I am dealing w/ a 3rd wife who is hopping mad at me (and get this, I have seen her the grand total of one time in the last 37 years), another ex wife who wants (more) money, and a current On Again-Off Again girl friend who, after threatening to call the cops on me last month for simply returning her apartment key after a little, ahem, misunderstanding, now wants to invite me over for a home cooked meal.

What IS it about women anyway? Mummar Gaddafi understood them a lot better than I ever will. When once asked why he had female bodyguards instead of male guards (very unusual for a Muslim leader), he replied "because women are more vicious. A man may hesitate for a split second if he is unsure of the threat, especially if it comes from another woman, while a woman will not hesitate to fire". Still, I sure do love them! They will probably put that on my gravestone on the day I am not quick enough to outwit the last one, and I do mean the last one :]..... If they can find enough pieces to bury I guess. Old Chinese curse: may you have an interesting life.

Old 10-14-2017   #23
ruby.monkey

If it's the Bobbitt case to which Peter refers... well, if one wishes to keep one's member attached, perhaps physically and sexually abusing one's wife isn't the best way to live life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M. View Post
"Which reminds me about a story of a woman slicing off a part of her husband -it was not his nose"......

What IS it about women anyway? Mummar Gaddafi understood them a lot better than I ever will. When once asked why he had female bodyguards instead of male guards (very unusual for a Muslim leader), he replied "because women are more vicious. A man may hesitate for a split second if he is unsure of the threat, especially if it comes from another woman, while a woman will not hesitate to fire". Still, I sure do love them! They will probably put that on my gravestone on the day I am not quick enough to outwit the last one, and I do mean the last one :]..... If they can find enough pieces to bury I guess. Old Chinese curse: may you have an interesting life.

Old 10-14-2017   #24
lxmike
Barnack fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Wijninga View Post
Which reminds me about a story of a woman slicing off a part of her husband -it was not his nose. At least in that case, I understood why she did it.
I remember that story too, did she not throw the body part out the car window too

Glass currently in regular use: Voigtlander 15mm 4.5 Helliar, 35mm Summaron.

Soon to arrive: a boat load of HP5

Old 10-16-2017   #25
JoeLopez

Quote:
There is no fun in that. He should just be like every one else I suppose...

Other gear: Minolta X-570, Nikon F3/T, N90s & D750, Fuji X100T
Nikkor 50mm f1.8, 28mm f2.8 E, Voigtlander 40mm f/2.0 Ultron SL, Minolta 45mm f2 & 50mm f1.7

My Flickr | My ebay | Instagram

Old 10-16-2017   #26
css9450

Quote:
Not really the same... taking the meter out of a MP is because they wanted their MP to be more like a classic meter less Leica, M3/M2/M4... Leicas are purist cameras.
Seems like it would have been simpler by just making it a point to not look at the meter display. Maybe its a very bright and intrusive display? Might be possible to remove the top cover and cover it with a sharpie.

Old 10-16-2017   #27
Archlich

Quote:
The meter is useful as well. On the other hand this guy said he's after the "classic EVIL form" (or something like that. He used a Chinese word originally invented by Sony as a marketing slogan to define the NEX cameras)...which is best represented by, in the land of Sony, a NEX.

So both are trimming off perfectly functional parts pursuing a certain form (from the past). To me it's the same thing.