Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > SLRs - the unRF

SLRs - the unRF For those of you who must talk about SLRs, if only to confirm they are not RF.

Some shots from my D600 - This camera is amazing.
Old 11-05-2012   #1
canetsbe

Some shots from my D600 - This camera is amazing.

Hey guys,

I've never really been much of a digital guy, and even when I was, it was either a Canon (had a 5D back in the day) or Leica (used to have an M8 and still have my X1). I realize this post may fall on many deaf ears here at RFF, but I recently jumped on the D600 on the reports of how incredible the sensor is, and out of necessity for some assignment work. I bought it with a 50 1.8 Af-D and 24 2.8 Af, and was really quite bummed at first due to the fact that LR4 hadn't been updated to support RAW. Thus I was shooting jpeg but was pretty astounded when I saw my first images- this camera is no slouch even in jpeg mode. When I finally got RAW support my mind was blown once again! SO MUCH depth and tonal range. I must admit I am smitten.

The photos I'm showing are a mix of jpeg and RAW conversions all having been run through various filters in Alien Skin Exposure 3. I hope you like them as much as I do, and can add your thoughts / photos from your own experiences with the D600 if you have any! I plan on writing a review on this camera for my website in the future and will keep you all in the loop on that if you're interested. For now, you can see more of my images in the San Francisco Arts Commission flickr photostream or on my website at colebransonphotography.com - the two most recent blog posts.

Here goes!

CAnetsberger_2BlocksofArtSF_-8 by arts.commission, on Flickr

CAnetsberger_2BlocksofArtSF_-10 by arts.commission, on Flickr

CAnetsberger_2BlocksofArtSF_-16 by arts.commission, on Flickr

CAnetsberger_2BlocksofArtSF_-18 by arts.commission, on Flickr

CAnetsberger_2BlocksofArtSF_-45 by arts.commission, on Flickr

CAnetsberger_2BlocksofArtSF_-46 by arts.commission, on Flickr

Old 11-05-2012   #2
thegf

nice pictures. that first one is especially good.

as i put away money (read: sell things i no longer use), i am trying to decide between this and the d800. i have also considered getting a voigtlander 40mm pancake too. have you had a chance to try the d800? how do they compare?

Old 11-05-2012   #3
Spicy

As the old automotive addage goes, "there's no replacement for displacement." Same goes for film/sensor real-estate.

Nice shots. Hopefully with FF sensors finally becoming more accessible to us average folk, people will start clamoring for a FF ILC. And with any luck, something not similar to that wretched R&D abortion of a camera, the Nikon 1...

Old 11-05-2012   #4
ray_g
>

Thanks for posting this. There really have not been a lot of good reviews and sample images re the D600. Have you had the chance to try some legacy MF Nikkors on it?

Old 11-05-2012   #5
canetsbe

Thanks for the responses guys:

@thegf: I have not tried the D800. It seems like an incredibly powerful camera. Too powerful for my computer to want to process / store 36mp files. And I'm on a 27" iMac. I've heard the D600 doesn't compromise on too many features that one would miss from the D800 but with a more manageable 24mp sensor. AF, build, and MP count are the major differences, though the D600 seems plenty tough.

@Spicy: Agreed. FF is really the way to go. I think in digital terms, full frame is the new medium format, if that makes sense. I think in five years we may see a plethora of small FF mirrorless cameras.

@ray_g: You're welcome! Glad you enjoyed the post. I just wanted to share the merits of this camera, which is first and foremost incredible image quality. I am new to Nikon so I don't own any older lenses. If I get a chance to use some legacy glass I will be sure to let you know.

Old 11-05-2012   #6
GaryLH

Thanks for sharing. I would also be interested in how well it does w/ the legacy ais lenses if u happen to have any. How is the focusing screen? Bright enough to use vs green dot mode on ais lenses?

Gary

Old 11-05-2012   #7
steveniphoto

is that last shot of SF city hall?

Old 11-05-2012   #8
thirtyfivefifty
Noctilust survivor

Great shots!

Old 11-05-2012   #9
Corto

Super cool, Thanks for sharing!

Old 11-05-2012   #10
28mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveniphoto View Post
is that last shot of SF city hall?
Yup, good eye.

Old 11-06-2012   #11
canetsbe

Thanks everyone.

@Gary: The finder is very good. If I get a chance to shoot with some ais glass I will let you all know.

Old 11-06-2012   #12
PatrickT
New Rangefinder User

Nice shots! You have me intrigued...

You mentioned that you owned a 5D (the original I presume). Can you compare your experience with the 5D to the D600 (from an image quality standpoint)? Also, how is the shutter noise?

I find the IQ of the 5D to be incredible, but could use a little more high ISO oomf

Old 11-06-2012   #13
Dave Jenkins
Loose Canon

Are we talking Canon or Nikon here?

My newest book, Backroads and Byways of Georgia is available now wherever books are sold.
Georgia: A Backroads Portrait http://blur.by/1gg1SMt is awaiting publication.
My best-selling book (28,000+ copies) is Rock City Barns: A Passing Era.
My web site: davidbjenkins.com

Old 11-06-2012   #14
David_Manning

My 5D mark II's jpegs are pretty bad, I think. White Balance is not great, the saturation levels make things look "plasticky." But the RAW images...wow. They are especially malleable in post because of the 14-bit capture. I just wish the camera was a bit more compact

Old 11-06-2012   #15
canetsbe

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickT View Post
Nice shots! You have me intrigued...

You mentioned that you owned a 5D (the original I presume). Can you compare your experience with the 5D to the D600 (from an image quality standpoint)? Also, how is the shutter noise?

I find the IQ of the 5D to be incredible, but could use a little more high ISO oomf
I did own the original and found it to be very good as well, but it's not really in the league of the D600. ISO 1600 on the 5D is looking like ISO 6400-12800 on the D600 in terms of noise (and is probably the usable ceiling for those cameras, respectively). Considering the D600 has wayyyyy more resolution, it's pretty astounding. The D600 also seems to have a wider dynamic range than the 5D. IQ is a step up overall. The AF system is also much better on the D600, even with screw-type AF lenses.

I think the shutter noise is pretty quiet for an SLR. Quieter than I remember the 5D being, but I'm sure Canon's shutters have gotten quieter over the years also. It also has a discrete shutter function that sort of spreads out the mirror flip and shutter release, and allows you to control when it re-cocks by holding the shutter button down. Not that useful but it's there if you need it.

Old 11-06-2012   #16
GaryLH

Quote:
Originally Posted by canetsbe View Post
Thanks everyone.

@Gary: The finder is very good. If I get a chance to shoot with some ais glass I will let you all know.
Thanks
Gary

Old 11-06-2012   #17
canetsbe

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryLH View Post
Thanks for sharing. I would also be interested in how well it does w/ the legacy ais lenses if u happen to have any. How is the focusing screen? Bright enough to use vs green dot mode on ais lenses?

Gary
I also forgot to mention that there are menu options to include a composition grid and / or a horizon level in the finder! I leave the grid on 24/7.

Old 11-06-2012   #18
boomguy57

We have the D800s at work and WOW, they are pretty powerful. The files are ridiculously big, but there is a noticeable difference between the D800 and the D700/D300 we had previously. I think that for the price, the D600 is a solid computer, er...camera

"Only a Sith deals in absolutes." - Obi-Wan Kenobi

Old 11-06-2012   #19
GaryLH

I tend to leave the grid active as well 24/7, but not the horizontal balance... It depends on the camera and how distracting it is..

Gary

Old 11-06-2012   #20
Michalm

Well in US d600 is really affordable at cost of 2000usd and it would be hard to resist not to buy one . It looks like first dslr that would suit me with resolution similar to film, good dynamic range but it is still quite big and i'm in Europe and price is not affordable here yet. Besides it has some issues with oil or dust or something. P.S very nice samples.

Old 11-07-2012   #21
canetsbe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michalm View Post
Well in US d600 is really affordable at cost of 2000usd and it would be hard to resist not to buy one . It looks like first dslr that would suit me with resolution similar to film, good dynamic range but it is still quite big and i'm in Europe and price is not affordable here yet. Besides it has some issues with oil or dust or something. P.S very nice samples.
I have experienced a little bit of sensor dust, but noting really out of the ordinary for a DSLR in my opinion. I just use a rocket blower when I start noticing dust; problem solved.

Old 11-07-2012   #22
Chinasaur

+1 on loving the pictures! Beautiful colors

As a Minolta/Sony user it's depressing to see Sony price it's a99 at $2,800 when the D600 is at $2,000; and to know that Sony makes the sensors in Nikon cameras. Both have 24MP sensors.

The D600 is a great deal if you use Nikon lenses and want to go full frame.
Hexar RF, Yashica CCN, Yashica CC, Yashica GX & Yashica Minister, Olympus PEN EE-3, Olympus 35 DC, Canon A-1, Sony a850, Sony a700, Nikon D70, and a crapload of cheap ass Russian lenses I don't know what to do with since I can't ask Brian to shim them cause he don't do that anymore and so now I'm stuck with a whole crapload of cheap ass Russian lenses I don't know what to do with....
"Shut up and just shoot the damn thing..."

Old 11-08-2012   #23
chardmartinez958
-

great shots..thank you for sharing this and for the reviews you had, now i decided to buy a D600

Old 11-08-2012   #24
canetsbe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinasaur View Post
+1 on loving the pictures! Beautiful colors

As a Minolta/Sony user it's depressing to see Sony price it's a99 at $2,800 when the D600 is at $2,000; and to know that Sony makes the sensors in Nikon cameras. Both have 24MP sensors.

The D600 is a great deal if you use Nikon lenses and want to go full frame.
I totally agree. The D600 is a no-brainer if you want a camera with maximum image quality and don't need the insane AF capabilities or way too much resolution.

Chad: glad I could help you decide, and I hope you enjoy the camera!

Old 11-08-2012   #25
kxl
Social Documentary

Beautiful shots. I especially like the first one. I love my D700 but I may pick up a D600 as a second DSLR body.

"... I thought the only way to give us an incentive, to bring hope, is to show the pictures of the pristine planet - to see the innocence. ― Sebastiao Salgado

Old 11-08-2012   #26
craygc

For those wanting examples of AI-s glass on these cameras you can knock yourself out on this thread on FredMiranda. Its already at page 2182 as I type. I started the link at page 2000 which is where the D600/D800 examples start showing up. It adds about 10 new pages a day.

Some of this legacy glass is amazing on these cameras, although focusing the faster lenses at apertures wider than f/2.8 is a guessing game through the viewfinder, and will remain so until someone delivers a split prism focus screen.

Old 11-08-2012   #27
Jamie Pillers
Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by craygc View Post
...although focusing the faster lenses at apertures wider than f/2.8 is a guessing game through the viewfinder, and will remain so until someone delivers a split prism focus screen.
KatzEye probably already has the split prism focus screen on the drawing board... they're pretty fast catching up with the Nikon models. I've used these screens on my D90, D200, and now the D7000. Superb screens.

Fuji X-H1; X-Pro1; XF10; Polaroid 250 (waiting for an 'art' project)

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Old 11-09-2012   #28
craygc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Pillers View Post
KatzEye probably already has the split prism focus screen on the drawing board... they're pretty fast catching up with the Nikon models. I've used these screens on my D90, D200, and now the D7000. Superb screens.
From commentary I've seen to date Katzeye Optics are still on the fence about producing this one. It's not straight forward and isn't really user inter changeable...

Old 11-09-2012   #29
crispy12

Great images, I especially like the dancers. Looking forward to handling a copy.