Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Fuji X Series > Fuji X Series

Old 01-05-2012   #41
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisN View Post
No 35mm-equivalent field of view lens? Fail!
Buy the X100 then...

X-Tate :)
Old 01-05-2012   #42
Photon42
burn the box

Arrow X-Tate :)

Some excerpts in English (my quotes in parenthesis). Neither English nor French are my MT, so please be kind:

------------------
Fuji has confirmed beginning of January the rumors around the new camera system. It will take until march, however, until we'll see it filling the dealer's shelves (if they don't get all ordered beforehand ) Price environ €1'300 (note: prob. then also US$ 1'300) with 35mm. Lenses around €600 (per lens, I suspect ...). The camera doesn't play in the same league as other hybrid (mirrorless) cameras. Fuji addresses the experienced photographer and makes little compromises with choice of material and design.

The sensor features Fuji's X-Trans technology and has APS-C size with a 1.5x factor compared to 35mm. They haven't yet given the sensor resolution, but it is stated as "equally or not to say superior to 24x36 senors" (that is a quote of a quote ...). The sensor technology (six filters per pixel? - not sure about the word "photosite") is such that it does not require anymore a moiré filter, which is known to reduce resolution.

Lenses with be all metal fix focus lenses, starting with a 2/18, 1.4/35 and 2.4/60 Macro (all focal lengths not converted to 35mm equiv's).

The Finder will be taken from the X100 (more or less), allowing to switch between optical and electronic view. The optical view finder will adjust to the selected focal length automatically (such as, I guess the electronic one ). It looks like the new Fuji seems to have an external autofocus (but I'm not so sure here they are correct with this).

In addition, a leather pouch and a flash will become available.
------------------

Good news, indeed.

Ivo

Old 01-05-2012   #43
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vobluda View Post
I only hope that it will have at least AF or MF, not like x100 with no F at all.
Huh? WTF?

Old 01-05-2012   #44
raid
Dad Photographer

So the consensus is that the stated focal lengths are in the units for the sensor size, so that a 35mm lens is actually a 50mm lens with this camera or do they actually mean a 35mm focal length as we get on a full sensor?

If the 35mm focal length is being avoided in this camera, then the X100 is being protected. It seems to me that the X100 is a better deal.

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 01-05-2012   #45
Vobluda

Just my comment on how desperate is the x100 focusing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
Huh? WTF?

Old 01-05-2012   #46
NazgulKing

Any knowledge of the Flange distance?

Old 01-05-2012   #47
StaaleS

I _think_ it says 17.7 mm flange distance, if I have translatedotgoogledotcom'd it right...

Old 01-05-2012   #48
dreilly
Chillin' in Geneva

Quote:
Originally Posted by exiled4979 View Post
it's almost impossible to imagine where would you need a pro-dslr-lever autofocus in RF-like camera as an artist! The only possible use would be in sports, and X100, or "serious artist" is a bit out of place shooting skiing, football or F1 racing
If the artist is doing documentary people photography and the people aren't static, I certainly can. Slow autofocus is one thing, but autofocus that fails or focuses on the wrong thing or hunts interminably is a real downer. The RF patch might be a bit slower than some AF systems, but it's consistent and easy to master. I have no experience with the X100, but the reports of poor AF performance have kept me far away. That and the fact that I played with one in a store in Kyoto and I was seriously underwhelmed by both the viewfinder and the build.

Regardless. This new camera looks interesting indeed. The thing that would keep me from early adopting it is waiting to hear about the AF performance.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/xenar/collections/

No place is boring, if you've had a good night's sleep and have a pocket full of unexposed film. ~Robert Adams, Darkroom & Creative Camera Techniques, May 1995 (I suppose that should now read: "and have a full battery and an empty memory card." Though that sounds so dull.

Old 01-05-2012   #49
rxmd
May contain traces of nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaaleS View Post
I _think_ it says 17.7 mm flange distance, if I have translatedotgoogledotcom'd it right...
That would be short enough that you can build an M-mount adapter without the small throat of the Fuji bayonet getting in the way.

Old 01-05-2012   #50
Gabriel M.A.
My Red Dot Glows For You

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbunny View Post
That pic in the lower right corner is a limited addition X100 in black?

Zat ees corret!

Fellow RFF member: I respect your bandwidth by not posting images larger than 800px on the longest side, and by removing image in a quote.
Together we can combat bandwidth waste (and image scrolling).

My Flickr | (one of) My Portfolio

Old 01-05-2012   #51
NazgulKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxmd View Post
That would be short enough that you can build an M-mount adapter without the small throat of the Fuji bayonet getting in the way.
Not least, Fuji's color rendition has been typically nicer than Sony's OOC Jpegs. This camera might be on my list of cameras to look at.

Old 01-05-2012   #52
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vobluda View Post
Just my comment on how desperate is the x100 focusing.
Been using the X100 for 10 months... no focus issues here. Seems people either don't know how to use the camera or never have used the camera.

Old 01-05-2012   #53
paulfish4570

i have no problem at all focusing my x100. i would imagine the same for the x-1.

Old 01-05-2012   #54
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by raid View Post
So the consensus is that the stated focal lengths are in the units for the sensor size, so that a 35mm lens is actually a 50mm lens with this camera or do they actually mean a 35mm focal length as we get on a full sensor?
Focal length on lens x 1.5 = real focal length.

Quote:
If the 35mm focal length is being avoided in this camera, then the X100 is being protected. It seems to me that the X100 is a better deal.
Better deal only if you want a 35mm equiv.

Old 01-05-2012   #55
NazgulKing

In all likelihood, Fuji will simply approach this camera the same way Leica does theirs. Just produce a wide range of primes, slowly but surely...

Old 01-05-2012   #56
dogbunny
Registered Boozer

Quote:
Been using the X100 for 10 months... no focus issues here. Seems people either don't know how to use the camera or never have used the camera.

You should know by now that the people who know the most about the short-comings of a particular camera are those who do not own it.

Old 01-05-2012   #57
Archlich

Images are coming out:

http://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/firs...he-fuji-x-pro/

1300 Euros seem nice for a kit.

Old 01-05-2012   #58
raid
Dad Photographer

Quote:

Yes, this is true. If the 35mm focal length is what you want, then the X100 is a good deal.

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 01-05-2012   #59
jsrockit

Haven't seen anything about a US price yet... I'm hoping Fuji does the whole 1300 euros equals $1300 US thing...instead of a true exchange rate. Sorry eurozoners.

Old 01-05-2012   #60
semordnilap

I have a nex-5n plus evf. I don't think of it as an rf, but as a tiny slr. As that, it's great with adapted lenses because you can have program the controls to do what you need...

The fuji vf could be more like an rf, if you can manually focus with the optical image. I hope! Don't know if it's possible to implement focus peaking projected onto an optical image? That would be pretty sweet...

Anyway it looks like an interesting camera. I for one am happy with the diversity of new camera ideas/designs, and I'm looking forward to the coming years!!!

flickr

Old 01-05-2012   #61
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by semordnilap View Post
The fuji vf could be more like an rf, if you can manually focus with the optical image. I hope! Don't know if it's possible to implement focus peaking projected onto an optical image? That would be pretty sweet...
I wouldn't count on the Fuji having a great MF mode. These are AF cameras with MF as a secondary option.

Old 01-05-2012   #62
Photon42
burn the box

Quote:

The real focal length is the real focal length the lens actually has. You are stating a conversion into 35mm equiv's with the same field of view, which is what we frequently use.

I'm actually not sure the lens offerings are complete with three lenses. My take is they - as Raid is guessing - are indeed protecting the X100 up to a certain point in time (when sales go down and their stock is sold). I cannot believe they offer a camera with this capabilities without a 35mm equiv in the long run.

Another link maybe: Fujifilm Introduces First Compact System Camera

Ivo

Old 01-05-2012   #63
Photon42
burn the box

Quote:
I wouldn't count on the Fuji having a great MF mode. These are AF cameras with MF as a secondary option.
Which would be ok for me if the AF works well in terms of hitting properly and being really fast. If I then have the option to configure something like a fix f8/3m thing reasonably well, it would be enough for me.

Old 01-05-2012   #64
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photon42 View Post
The real focal length is the real focal length the lens actually has. You are stating a conversion into 35mm equiv's with the same field of view, which is what we use frequently use.
True, I should have said effective focal length based on 35mm equiv. However, I believe my point still got across.

Old 01-05-2012   #65
hipsterdufus
Photographer?

This is the first digital I've been excited about for awhile... The lens lineup hits the sweet spot and it would cover all of my shooting range.

Old 01-05-2012   #66
semordnilap

Quote:
I agree... I will be surprised if the MF mode is decent. But that's the whole fun of new camera announcements... Speculation!

Anyway, I don't really care for AF...

flickr

Old 01-05-2012   #67
Photon42
burn the box

Quote:
Haven't seen anything about a US price yet... I'm hoping Fuji does the whole 1300 euros equals $1300 US thing...instead of a true exchange rate. Sorry eurozoners.
It has always been like that or worse here (not sitting in the €-Zone, actually). But then the US$ price is usually given w/o any VAT applied, whereas the price in € normally includes (approx 19%) VAT.

I've recently noted that pricing in Switzerland on electronic camera related stuff quite came down again to reflect the more recent exchange rates to the US$. Some retailers here actually offer competitive pricing compared to e.g. B&H offerings for certain products. Especially accessories however still are often quite overpriced.

Old 01-05-2012   #68
Photon42
burn the box

Quote:
True, I should have said effective focal length based on 35mm equiv. However, I believe my point still got across.
Sure

--
ten characters

Old 01-05-2012   #69
emraphoto

I am completely befuddled by the 'x100 poor af performance' business? am I using the same camera as these folks? The cameras I use are my bread and butter and poor af performance on the x100 would most certainly be an issue for me. Strange part is it isn't?

Well, on the run for the 6th day in a row on unfolding labor story here in Canada (with x100 in tow).

Old 01-05-2012   #70
emraphoto

Hell, if they put out a black x100 the new X1 whatever will be of little interest to me!

Old 01-05-2012   #71
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by emraphoto View Post
I am completely befuddled by the 'x100 poor af performance' business? am I using the same camera as these folks?
Apparently, we have the only two good X100s fuji made...

Old 01-05-2012   #72
dazedgonebye

Any thoughts on the possibility that they mean 18mm, 35mm and 60mm as 35mm film equivalents?
60mm is the odd man out in that trio, but as a macro, not without precedence.

"And I know now that the cure for my childhood was not to be looked after, as I once believed; it was to look after someone else." ~Philip Norman

Photography Blog
Flickr
Twitter

Old 01-05-2012   #73
exiled4979

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreilly View Post
If the artist is doing documentary people photography and the people aren't static, I certainly can. Slow autofocus is one thing, but autofocus that fails or focuses on the wrong thing or hunts interminably is a real downer. The RF patch might be a bit slower than some AF systems, but it's consistent and easy to master. I have no experience with the X100, but the reports of poor AF performance have kept me far away. That and the fact that I played with one in a store in Kyoto and I was seriously underwhelmed by both the viewfinder and the build.

Regardless. This new camera looks interesting indeed. The thing that would keep me from early adopting it is waiting to hear about the AF performance.
True, I agree that static and moving people are two different things, but, we're not talking about running people (well, mostly), and it's not like AF in X100 takes 10 seconds to focus on something. I've owned it for a while, did pretty much everything with it and focusing speed in real life is more than enough. It still takes me about 5x longer to compose and take care of all details, than it takes camera to focus.

There is point to AF being slow if you're shooting from hip and just snapping away, or you expect pro-dslr lever AF, but even this is highly questionable. I did couple of hip shots in London, very busy, walking one way, subject walking in the opposite direction and it still managed to focus in time.

I agree it may not work every time perfectly, but, after like a week or so, you learn where to actually place the patch to focus on particular dot, same as with any other camera, even with dSLRs. I wasted like 5 rolls of film doing very shallow DoF portraits with Canon EOS 1n and 50 1.2, until I learned that it focuses on bottom line of the AF point...

my comment was directed to real artists who would need pro level dSLR AF, can't think of many of those... and I don't mean to offend sport-shooters as not being artists

Old 01-05-2012   #74
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazedgonebye View Post
Any thoughts on the possibility that they mean 18mm, 35mm and 60mm as 35mm film equivalents?
Well, the Fuji X100 has a 23mm lens, but a 34.5mm effective focal length (based on 35mm).

Old 01-05-2012   #75
exiled4979

Quote:
that's just mean

Old 01-05-2012   #76
jsrockit

I plan to use both. X100 w/ 35mm and X-Pro1 w/ 28mm & 50mm.

Old 01-05-2012   #77
paulfish4570

i cannot imagine NOT keeping the x100. it is so stinking convenient to get such high iso photos in such a compact, lightweight kit.

Old 01-05-2012   #78
Photon42
burn the box

Quote:
Check my translation of the article. It is all there.

Old 01-05-2012   #79
dazedgonebye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photon42 View Post
Check my translation of the article. It is all there.
I'm going to ignore that because it's not what I want to believe.

"And I know now that the cure for my childhood was not to be looked after, as I once believed; it was to look after someone else." ~Philip Norman

Photography Blog
Flickr
Twitter

Old 01-05-2012   #80
Photon42
burn the box

Quote:
I'm going to ignore that because it's not what I want to believe.
Oh ... can't help then I also find it slightly unfortunate they skipped this focal length in the beginning. Looks a bit to me like a management decision. Still believe they come out with a 35mm later. Not uncommon tactics.