Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Image Processing: Darkroom / Lightroom / Film > Scanners / Scanner Software

Old 01-12-2020   #881
nbagno

Quote:
Originally Posted by philbard View Post
Ned,

Try trashing the preferences files for both CQ Scan and CQ
Hey Phil,

I've already wiped out the OS and installed everything fresh, the same issue. Was wondering if it's a known problem. I can't click on anything in that dialog box without crashing CQ

Old 01-12-2020   #882
nbagno

Just tried in OSX 10.5.8 and it does not crash when clicking in the unsharp mask dialog box. My goal is to get this thing scanning reliably in 10.5.8. As of now, 10.2.8 connects at first try 80% of the time, if it fails a quick restart and it will connect. 10.3, 10.4, 10.5 are way pickier. I have multiple SCSI cards and multiple G4 computers and have been testing various combos for the past week. Still waiting on a cable for my ATTO SCSI card. Anyway, there's some issue with OS 10.2.8 and my setup :-\ It's always something.

Scanmate 11000 bulb assembly replacement
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #883
nbagno

Scanmate 11000 bulb assembly replacement

In case you need to re-do your bulb sockets and wires, here is a parts list that will work for the SM11000, at least mine. I've seen pictures of another scanner, I think a 5000 that used two connectors, mine has one, four circut connector.

1) MOLEX 19-09-1046 2.36mm Diameter Standard .093" Pin and Socket Receptacle Housing with Positive Latch, UL 94V-0, 4 Circuits (you donít need this if you only want to replace the bulb sockets).
2) Molex 02-09-1104 2.36mm Diameter, Standard .093" Pin and Socket Crimp Terminal, Series 1189, Female, with Tin (Sn) Plated Brass Contact
3) Westinghouse 11108 socket (or similar)
a) Optional - Molex crimp tool. I prefer to manually crimp the connector over the wire insulation and then solder the wire to the connector (after tinning the wire)
b) Optional - .093: pin extraction tool, in case you screw up.

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #884
nbagno

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbagno View Post
I couldn't read the manufacturer, but the person I bought it from who has posted in this thread in the past took his apart and helped me out. Looks like this may be it. But yes, it looks to be a standard belt, 4mm wide. Thanks for your response.

https://us.misumi-ec.com/vona2/detai...D&Tab=codeList
Update on the belt. The one in the link above is a perfect fit. In case you need to do this it's pretty straight forward. The service manual does not go over this, I believe it suggests an entire assembly replacement.

- Remove the front cover as shown in the service manual, don't forget to disconnect the ribbon cable.

- Remove the metal end covers

- This is where it's a little tricky if you don't know "the trick". The motor/door assembly is held in place with Allen screws on the side (black). That's it. However, the assembly is a tight fit so it will feel like there is something else holding it in there. There isn't. What you will notice is that one of the metal crossbars is tucked under the lip in the housing so you need to wiggle the assembly past that. It's a little difficult to remove the assembly because there are rubber grommets on the sides pressing against the housing cover. The Allen screws actually go through the grommets. Make sure and disconnect the two cables connecting the front switch panel and careful of the door cover switch rod.

- Once out, you can see belts on the side and how the door attaches to the belts using a clamp. In order to remove the belts, you unscrew the two clamp screws where it attaches to the flat bar that the door plexiglass attaches, and on each side, pop off the metal washers on the side that keeps the belts in the guide.

- On reassembly, I suggest using some lube on the side grommets that you popped off, and on the other grommets to help the assembly slide back in like butter.

Here's a shot of the assembly removed from the housing. Note I removed the noise padding around the motor because I was sure there was something else holding in the assemble as noted above.

Here's my jacked up belt. You can see the grommets that make it difficult to remove the assembly from the housing. Put some lube on them to make it easy to slide back in.

Like new (link to google drive short door opening/closing video) https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Qf...ueOsTnAF7Hrf6z

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #885
monkeyfist

Quote:
Just tried in OSX 10.5.8 and it does not crash when clicking in the unsharp mask dialog box. My goal is to get this thing scanning reliably in 10.5.8. As of now, 10.2.8 connects at first try 80% of the time, if it fails a quick restart and it will connect. 10.3, 10.4, 10.5 are way pickier. I have multiple SCSI cards and multiple G4 computers and have been testing various combos for the past week. Still waiting on a cable for my ATTO SCSI card. Anyway, there's some issue with OS 10.2.8 and my setup :-\ It's always something.
It runs perfectly on 64bit win10, there is no need to use old machines for this.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #886
nbagno

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyfist View Post
It runs perfectly on 64bit win10, there is no need to use old machines for this.
I have a mac dongle, but when I try to run in windows using run as date I still get a crosshatch pattern on the scan. Maybe not doing in right.

I do notice that 16-bit raw seems to output 8-bit files as shown in photoshop. On the windows side, 16 bit raw shows up as 16 bit in photoshop

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #887
Netsoft2k

Make sure you run both CQScan and CQ with runasdate and admin mode. That should fix it.

Pali

scanview 5000
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #888
dr5chrome2

scanview 5000

Hello - anyone outthere looking to sell a 5000? ..or a 5000 for parts? Message me or reply. [PS . ill post our problems in a later post. best regards, dave w

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #889
nbagno

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr5chrome2 View Post
Hello - anyone outthere looking to sell a 5000? ..or a 5000 for parts? Message me or reply. [PS . ill post our problems in a later post. best regards, dave w
Dave, I'm the one you just bought the multi-pro from.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #890
dr5chrome2

ohh.. no kidding. You have a scanview 5000 also? dw

Quote:
Dave, I'm the one you just bought the multi-pro from.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #891
nbagno

Quote:
ohh.. no kidding. You have a scanview 5000 also? dw
I have an Scanmate 11000 and a Howtek HR8000

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #892
nbagno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netsoft2k View Post
Make sure you run both CQScan and CQ with runasdate and admin mode. That should fix it.

Pali
That did it thanks. Now I need to decide if I'm going to run it under the mac or PC. I just upgraded my G4 with dual processors and SATA drives. Be a shame to put it to rest now.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #893
dr5chrome2

very good. Just sold our howtek. Opted to keep the scanview, then 2 weeks after it developed a serious issue, like a blink. Curious why you use the multi-pro if you have 2 drum machines? dw

PS - anyone out there familiar with this problem?

Quote:
I have an Scanmate 11000 and a Howtek HR8000
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Scan-5.jpg (32.8 KB, 12 views)

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #894
nbagno

Quote:
very good. Just sold our howtek. Opted to keep the scanview, then 2 weeks after it developed a serious issue, like a blink. Curious why you use the multi-pro if you have 2 drum machines? dw
I use the multipro's because I shoot 100% film, so if I have multiple rolls of MF, I don't want to spend all day scanning so have multiple multi pros running. If I have something really special I'll drum scan it. And, I just like scanners. Have a Pakon F135 for 35mm rolls, and a bunch of other over the years.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #895
Netsoft2k

Quote:

PS - anyone out there familiar with this problem?

Looks like you need an aperture tuning since some channels seems to be being blocked. Try quick scans at different apertures and see if it’s just one of two that are doing this. Also looks like you need a proper clean/calibration for light path badly.

Pali

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #896
dr5chrome2

thanks for the reply! The problem seems hit and miss. Seems to be worse when the scanner is cold. I did an odd test the past few days where i managed to do all the calibrations through the software. would get a few good scans, then it would go right back. Several have suggested it was the PMT, but the PMTs wouldn't be intermittent, correct? The light path is fiber optic. Its position is correct. how do you clean that?

What is the procedure 'aperture tuning'?

thanks, dw

Quote:
Looks like you need an aperture tuning since some channels seems to be being blocked. Try quick scans at different apertures and see if it's just one of two that are doing this. Also looks like you need a proper clean/calibration for light path badly.

Pali

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #897
Netsoft2k

It is definitely NOT a PMT since you are getting data in all three channels.

When was the last time the scanner was cleaned (including electronics board), oiled, and manually calibrated? I am almost positive yours just need proper service and everything should be back up and running perfectly but if you haven't done this before, it will not be an easy process to figure out quickly. There is a service manual for these that walks through most of the processes and I would recommend the following:

1. Just overall cleaning with electronic spray and some microfiber cloth.
2. Light tube adjustment (this is a manual adjustment using a multimeter).
3. Aperture plate cleaning and aperture motor oil <--- very sensitive process.
4. Mirrors cleaning <--- very sensitive process.
5. All fiber optics cleaning with a microfiber cloth and canned air pressure to clear up dust from housings/channels.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #898
dr5chrome2

Thanks very much again. Ive done board/contact clean+spray.

I do have a service manual I found on-line. Ill try to follow that.

There isnt anyone I know that will service this scanner, and it hasnt been serviced since I have owned [9yrs?]. I do keep it clean and lubed. Covered when not in use. Im fairly mechanical [have the scanner mostly apart]. The aperture part makes me nervous.

thanks again. regards. dw

Quote:
It is definitely NOT a PMT since you are getting data in all three channels.

When was the last time the scanner was cleaned (including electronics board), oiled, and manually calibrated? I am almost positive yours just need proper service and everything should be back up and running perfectly but if you haven't done this before, it will not be an easy process to figure out quickly. There is a service manual for these that walks through most of the processes and I would recommend the following:

1. Just overall cleaning with electronic spray and some microfiber cloth.
2. Light tube adjustment (this is a manual adjustment using a multimeter).
5. All fiber optics cleaning with a microfiber cloth and canned air pressure to clear up dust from housings/channels.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #899
Netsoft2k

Quote:
Thanks very much again. Ive done board/contact clean+spray.

I do have a service manual I found on-line. Ill try to follow that.

There isnt anyone I know that will service this scanner, and it hasnt been serviced since I have owned [9yrs?]. I do keep it clean and lubed. Covered when not in use. Im fairly mechanical [have the scanner mostly apart]. The aperture part makes me nervous.

thanks again. regards. dw

Where are you located? I know a few folks who know these scanners and might be able to offer some help.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #900
dr5chrome2

..same place your shipping to..35mi west of Des Moines IA [Stuart]

Quote:
Where are you located? I know a few folks who know these scanners and might be able to offer some help.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #901
nbagno

Quote:
..same place your shipping to..35mi west of Des Moines IA [Stuart]
That wasn't me that asked where you live

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #902
dr5chrome2

ohhh woops , sorry.. didnt have my glasses on

dw

Quote:
That wasn't me that asked where you live

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #903
dr5chrome2

So here's what I have after a few days of pulling hair. after some successful scans yesterday, and after the scanner was on all day, i shut it off for the evening. This morning I turned it back on, did a scan/preview. It was right back to the mess I posted before. I did what i tried that worked before, calibrate both the white and focus. This seems to be the ticket to normal. Any ideas as to why it goes from a total mess to working? ..and why after startup from being off a new calibration corrects it? What in the system is causing this? [where should i look 1st to service]. best regards, dw

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #904
Netsoft2k

My guess is that the aperture plate is dirty and sometimes when it changes to the right aperture, it&rsquo;s not being blocked by dust but other times it is.

Just a guess. Based on the scan, it seems optical disturbance not electrical. Good news is that your scanner is most likely just fine but it probably needs cleaning.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #905
dr5chrome2

Hello all again. I have a so-called service manual/guide for the 5000. the document I have says nothing about how to clean the:

It does explain the light tube adjustment [Im still trying to make sense of this]. I learn best by visual example.

Is there another document that explains procedures better? I dont have any of the "special" tools that are explained - I do have the usual - multimeter, allens, sprays, compressed air, ect.. I dont know how to access the service program.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Regards.. dw

Old 1 Week Ago   #906
dr5chrome2

Hello all- Guess no one has some sort of instruction on lube and aperture..

Another Q if I could ask - Ive read over this thread and it states that the R1617 PMT is the replacement. Are there other brand PMT that can be used besides the Hamamatsu ?

regards, dw

Hello
Old 5 Days Ago   #907
dr5chrome2

Hello

Can anyone tell me why my preview is skewed with a black line - this my SM5000. Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200211_182443_resized.jpg (124.4 KB, 4 views)

Old 3 Days Ago   #908
tsiklonaut

Quote:
Can anyone tell me why my preview is skewed with a black line - this my SM5000. Thanks
Drum zero line. Mount it correctly then it should stay out of the scan zone.

Running CQ in Win 10?
Old 3 Days Ago   #909
tsiklonaut

Running CQ in Win 10?

Windows 10 ScanMate users, what SCSI card and cable setup you have to make ColorQuartet work completely stable? Any PC issues, i.e. drivers or Win 10 problematic build numbers I should be aware of?

I've been running an old mac OS9 machine flawlessly, but think I should try Windows 10 machine for better network compatibility in the future.