Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Leicas and other Leica Mount Cameras > Leica Monochrom - All M Models

View Poll Results: Leica M9M, aka Monochrom v.1: What's the sensor, original or the replacement
My Monochrom still has the original sensor 5 16.13%
My Monochrom has the replacement sensor 26 83.87%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

M9M sensor replacement poll....
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #1
james.liam

M9M sensor replacement poll....

Vote whether your Monochrom v.I still has the original sensor or sports the replacement.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #2
james.liam

I'm surprised there's even one. Corrosion can be subtle.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #3
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by james.liam View Post
I'm surprised there's even one. Corrosion can be subtle.
James,

You are correct. I only discovered it when I printed. Funny thing is that only on some images and not others, but always the same location.

I had the sensor replaced. I got on a list and was sent an e-mail to send in my MM. My turnaround was I think 12 weeks once I sent in the camera.

Truth be told, I could of lived with the corrosion because it had a minimal effect. Only slight traces, and only on some images.

Cal

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #4
james.liam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calzone View Post
James,

You are correct. I only discovered it when I printed. Funny thing is that only on some images and not others, but always the same location.

I had the sensor replaced. I got on a list and was sent an e-mail to send in my MM. My turnaround was I think 12 weeks once I sent in the camera.

Truth be told, I could of lived with the corrosion because it had a minimal effect. Only slight traces, and only on some images.

Cal
It tended to be most visible when the lens was stopped down

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #5
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Quote:
It tended to be most visible when the lens was stopped down
James,

Interesting.

My main lens is a 28 Cron version 1 for about 85% of my images shot with the MM, most stopped down to F5.6.

Still the corrosion was very sporatic. On some shots, not in others, but if present in the same location.

What you say kinda correlates though. Most of my shooting was stopped down.

Cal

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #6
james.liam

Quote:
James,

Interesting.

My main lens is a 28 Cron version 1 for about 85% of my images shot with the MM, most stopped down to F5.6.

Still the corrosion was very sporatic. On some shots, not in others, but if present in the same location.

What you say kinda correlates though. Most of my shooting was stopped down.

Cal
Leica advised stopping down to /16 or smaller & shoot against the sky to consistently see the corrosion.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #7
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Quote:
Leica advised stopping down to /16 or smaller & shoot against the sky to consistently see the corrosion.
James,

I remember this test, but it failed to indicate I had a problem. I discovered that I likely had a trace of corrosion by looking at prints.

I used a 27 inch EIZO to view my results of the test and saw no corrosion. Also I own an expensive Visible Dust sensor cleaning system. Included is this magnifier with a ring of LED's to inspect a sensor for dirt, dust and defect.

Using the magnifier I saw no imperfections, but when I sent my MM to Leica they confirmed I had corrosion.

Cal

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #8
icebear

Replacement sensor here as well...
Shooting against the sky, fully stopped down, focussed at infinity and inspecting the file with ramped up contrast made the diagnosis pretty obvious. Still love this camera.

my gallery:http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...d=6650&showall

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #9
james.liam

Quote:
Originally Posted by icebear View Post
Replacement sensor here as well...
Shooting against the sky, fully stopped down, focussed at infinity and inspecting the file with ramped up contrast made the diagnosis pretty obvious. Still love this camera.
Klaus, remember to cast your vote

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #10
sepiareverb
genius and moron

My Monochrom got a replacement sensor but before the sensor was improved. I hope to hell the current owner replaced it, as he talked me out of a couple of hundred bucks to do it./

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #11
james.liam

Quote:
Originally Posted by sepiareverb View Post
My Monochrom got a replacement sensor but before the sensor was improved. I hope to hell the current owner replaced it, as he talked me out of a couple of hundred bucks to do it./
check the firmware.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #12
jszokoli

My Monochrom had its sensor replaced by Leica NJ even though I never saw any visible effects.

Joe

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #13
james.liam

Quote:
Originally Posted by jszokoli View Post
My Monochrom had its sensor replaced by Leica NJ even though I never saw any visible effects.

Joe
They examine it carefully and corrosion could have begun to should at edges inapparent to you. They made the point that they weren't replacing sensors if no corrosion was evident.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #14
james.liam

After one day, we are at 88% on the Monochrom, not far off from the 92% of the full spectrum sensors.

From this small N, would appear all were/are destined to fail.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #15
james.liam

Looking like a small minority left with the original.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #16
filmtwit
Desperate but not serious

I got mine knowing it had 2 scratches on the sensor and then finding out it had minor corrosion going on. Turn around was I think 4-5 months, I was pretty happy with the senson and camera, but ended up selling it for a M246 about 6 months later.

The Flickr Stream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/filmtwit/

The Blog (Boring Sidney, Boring)
http://jeffthomasallen.blogspot.com/

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #17
DwF

I voted yesterday...a yes for replaced and did it just following the announcement so it was done in early 2018. It was in New Jersey for 7 mos.

David

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #18
CVickery

I have the original sensor. I sent my MM to Leica NJ just before my the time for the free fix was up...they cleaned it and sent it back; no issue with corrosion. Now that I'll need to pay for the sensor replacement, it will need to get pretty bad before I send it back.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #19
james.liam

Quote:
Originally Posted by CVickery View Post
I have the original sensor. I sent my MM to Leica NJ just before my the time for the free fix was up...they cleaned it and sent it back; no issue with corrosion. Now that I'll need to pay for the sensor replacement, it will need to get pretty bad before I send it back.
That may not happen at a slow pace once it gets started.
But perhaps yours may be one that never "turns".

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #20
james.liam

Day #3 and we at at 91% replaced sensors. Slightly lower than the 95% for the M9.
Unclear if that's statistically significant.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #21
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

BTW my turnaround time was only 12 weeks because I used a waiting list so I could continue using my camera. Leica sent me an e-mail and a prepaid shipping label.

Cal

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #22
james.liam

Quote:
BTW my turnaround time was only 12 weeks because I used a waiting list so I could continue using my camera. Leica sent me an e-mail and a prepaid shipping label.

Cal
Ditto. I live perhaps blocks from you, Cal, and I drove to Leica NJ, dropped it off and got a rare chrome loaner. Took about 16 weeks. I forget because I had the loaner all the time.

Consider This
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #23
Dektol Dan

Consider This

My take on the threads was that it was humidity that broke the chemical bond. It could be my memory is corroded.

Some issues that are wrongly assumed to be corrosion, are not.

If the 'corrosion' that first appears at different f stops and ISO, something commonly described, it is NOT corrosion. The sensor may have a dead pixel that appears as corrosion in the image, but is not.

The dead pixel blocks all the following pixels read linearly. The sensor has to be reprogrammed by Leica in Germany to skip the dead pixel which otherwise kills all the following pixels that are read thereafter. That is often easily mistaken for corrosion.

My camera had this issue from new but not discovered until many months of use later. I did research on this and did sent it back to have it reset. It's fine now.

I did not send it for repair with a complaint about corrosion, but I can easily see why MANY M9 owners would assume that corrosion is what they had!

I posted to a thread addressing the issue I am referring to some 5 years ago.

Just ask yourself, what are the chances of having a single dead pixel on a monitor or TV? I would say the same chances are possible for a camera's sensor. What percentage of sensors replaced are not corrosion? Who knows?

I still wouldn't assume my sensor will fail here in Arizona. Maybe I'm just lucky!

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #24
james.liam

You might very well be, Dan. But Leica examined each camera as they arrived to confirm the corrosion and did not replace those that didn't. On both threads we ar running in excess of 90% replaced. Doesn't bode well for those who still have the old sensor.

Hoping for the Best
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #25
Dektol Dan

Hoping for the Best

I'm suspect that there is no specific test that could be run to determine where a dead pixel might be as it is something of a crap shoot. Just think of all combinations of ISO and aperture! That would be in the thousands!

It would be easier time wise just to replace the sensor. Mine failed at f8 at 800 ISO. Who remembers their settings from picture to picture? I checked for the settings after I had read about the dead pixel issue. How many on this thread have ever heard of it? I told Leica where to look and they verified it.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #26
james.liam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dektol Dan View Post
I'm suspect that there is no specific test that could be run to determine where a dead pixel might be as it is something of a crap shoot. Just think of all combinations of ISO and aperture! That would be in the thousands!

It would be easier time wise just to replace the sensor. Mine failed at f8 at 800 ISO. Who remembers their settings from picture to picture? I checked for the settings after I had read about the dead pixel issue. How many on this thread have ever heard of it? I told Leica where to look and they verified it.
It has a particular appearance, that differs greatly from a dead pixel. I've got to dig up the image I found it on back in 2017.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #27
james.liam

Day #4, with 24 people reporting we're holding steady at a 92% replacement rate.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #28
Nigel Meaby

Sold mine a couple of weeks ago. It already had a replacement sensor ( latest version) when I bought it used.

So How Many Good Original M9s ?
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #29
Dektol Dan

So How Many Good Original M9s ?

I searched and I could not find any good production run numbers for the M9/M 2009 to 2015. From looking at serial numbers I'm guessing 15 thousand but that could be far off. Using the crazy small polling samples (less than 100) posted here that would be 1200 good original M9 sensor cameras are out there.

I would not be surprised if a quarter or more of production were okay. I bought mine in 2015, it may have been made in 2014 but the sensor issues were well known when I bought it. It could be the last production years had better sensors. Who knows?

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #30
james.liam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dektol Dan View Post
I searched and I could not find any good production run numbers for the M9/M 2009 to 2015. From looking at serial numbers I'm guessing 15 thousand but that could be far off. Using the crazy small polling samples (less than 100) posted here that would be 1200 good original M9 sensor cameras are out there.

I would not be surprised if a quarter or more of production were okay. I bought mine in 2015, it may have been made in 2014 but the sensor issues were well known when I bought it. It could be the last production years had better sensors. Who knows?
The Wiki at Leica users forum mentions about 9500 MM v.1's produced from 2012-14, and they're usually pretty accurate.

If so, we have 27 respondents as a sampling of the 9500 made.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #31
Richard G

Mine was replaced at almost five years. Subtly affected. Noticed when photographing a vase of flowers against a plain wall on a tripod and using a small aperture. That was in November: the new sensor.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #32
raid
Dad Photographer

Quote:
The Wiki at Leica users forum mentions about 9500 MM v.1's produced from 2012-14, and they're usually pretty accurate.

If so, we have 27 respondents as a sampling of the 9500 made.
There are owners of MM cameras who do not visit RFF and there are RFF members with MM cameras who may not have posted in this thread.

http://raid.smugmug.com/