Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Gearhead Delights > Photo Accessories / Bags/ Meters / Tripods etc

Photo Accessories / Bags/ Meters / Tripods etc A place to discuss the delights of photo accessories, including bags, meters, tripods, filters, straps, camera cases, lens hoods, anything non digital that can make your gearhead life a little bit more enjoyable.

Decent M to Sony Adapter
Old 08-20-2019   #1
TR3B

Decent M to Sony Adapter

First off, I'm hoping for an inexpensive solution. I have a Fotodiox PRO LM-Nex adapter that I'm using on my A7II. In fact, is this the correct adapter for going from Leica M mount to Sony A7 mount, whatever that mount is called? I'm using it with older Leica 50's, 35 and 28mm lens. All experience both vertical and horizontal play between the lens and adapter mounts. it is enough that it is a less than ideal experience. Once I've grabbed focus, the lens will then move a bit on the mount, requiring a recheck of focus. Same applies when trying to change aperture on the fly.

Can anyone recommend a good quality adapter that does not have play between the lens and adapter or is this somewhat normal to a degree. My shooting style and needs are not impacted by smeared corners or other issues associated with M lens on Sony sensors, so I really would like to find a way to bring these two pieces together successfully.
Any input would be helpful.

Last edited by TR3B : 08-20-2019 at 16:24. Reason: correction

Old 08-20-2019   #2
Yokosuka_Mike
The Beat Goes On

Voigtlander VM/E Close Focus Adapter

IMO - it's the best!

Mike

Old 08-20-2019   #3
peterm1

The most consistently good adapters I have been buying and using recently are the K&F Concept ones. I do not have one for a Leica M (I still have an older adapter which predates the K and F ones coming on the market). It is OK but I will update it - the K and F ones tend to be a little bit dearer than the unbranded ones but nowhere near so expensive as Metabones, Fotodiox etc ones which tend to be at the top of the range.

Whether or not you buy a K and F Concept adapter, the thing to look for with M adapters is this.......if you look inside the adapter you should find a small metal leaf spring which acts to bear against the lens' mount to hold it steady and firm when mounted on the adapter - thereby reducing or eliminating play. The better adapters have this feature. The cheaper adapters tend not to- they just have a slit in the metal of the adapter ring and this slit acts as a kind of cheap spring substitute. If this comes loose (as mine did) you can temporarily remedy it by inserting a blade to lever it open to make the slit a little wider which increases pressure on the lens mount when the lens is installed in the adapter. But I am convinced that a proper spring works better (and for longer) and if you select an M adapter of any brand which has this feature it will serve you better in the long run. My cheap one works OK and holds the lens steady now that I have levered the slit open more.

The spring (on a K&F Concept branded adapter)

The slit on a cheaper unbranded adapter

Old 08-20-2019   #4
Tim Gray

For some reason, when I bought my A7rII, I got a Novoflex adapter. It's been nice, but I usually buy Voigtlander adapters as those are always good. Nothing wrong with the Novoflex, but I see now that for a bit more, you can get the close focus one that Mike mentioned, or one without that feature for less than the Novoflex at CameraQuest.

I'd buy Voigtlander if it were me.

Proper Fit
Old 08-20-2019   #5
TR3B

Proper Fit

The biggest issue is wobble. I want something that is secure to the adapter. I am fearful of losing my old Summilux to a poor fit.
Any cheap adapter will do, as long as it is secured.
Anyone have experience with the adapter I have?

Old 08-20-2019   #6
Larry H-L

Brian Smith covers many Sony adapters here:

https://briansmith.com/gear/sony-lens-adapters/

Old 08-20-2019   #7
sevres_babylone

I had wobble problems with the cheaper one I used before. But no such problem since I got a used Novoflex, even when using it with the large heavy Serenar 85mm ltm with an ltm to m adapter in addition to the Novoflex.

Old 08-20-2019   #8
Godfrey
somewhat colored

When I used the Sony A7, I used Novoflex Leica R to Sony and Leica M to Sony mounts exclusively. They worked perfectly and fit better than any of the others I tried.

G