Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > SLRs - the unRF

SLRs - the unRF For those of you who must talk about SLRs, if only to confirm they are not RF.

The problem with rangefinders is that >
Old 10-09-2019   #1
Smaug

The problem with rangefinders is that >

> they don't make enough NOISE during the shot to give the photographer a sense of accomplishment.

I've been shooting mostly my fixed lens rangefinders lately, with the leaf shutters built into the lenses.

Yesterday, I took delivery a Nikon FG. Today, I went out and shot a roll with it. After having gotten used the fixed lens rangefinders, this thing felt loud and shakey! It's like: CHUCK-CHUCK! instead of *click*.

No WONDER folks like Pentax 67s so much!
My Cameras: Yashica Electro 35 GS and CC, Rollei 35, Nikon FG, FM and L35AF3, Canon FTb, Minolta Freedom II, Olympus OM1N, Stylus (mju) and OM-D E-M10 III

Old 10-09-2019   #2
dourbalistar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smaug View Post
No WONDER folks like Pentax 67s so much!
Name plate says Pentax, but the shutter says canon!

flickr

Old 10-09-2019   #3
Huss

I dunno, the Fuji GW690III makes a nice loud SPROING!! when you take a pic.

Old 10-10-2019   #4
Fjäll

Half of the people probably stopped reading for a moment when I took a portrait in a public library once with my Pentax 6x7. Probably one of the best sounding shutters I know of nonetheless. I definitely prefer my leaf shutters though.

Old 10-10-2019   #5
Abbazz
6x9 and be there!

I love when the Pentax 6x7 goes KUH-PLONK and everybody turn their head... It generates a nice tactile sensation too, with the recoil generated by the gigantic mirror and the massive shutter curtains traveling at full velocity!

My Rollei 35 or Panasonic GM5 don't provide a much satisfactory experience in comparison...

Cheers!

Abbazz

The 6x9 Photography Online Resource

Old 10-10-2019   #6
Gregm61

But I would bet both your Rollei and Panasonic provide a much more vibration-reducing environment for your images.

Old 10-10-2019   #7
css9450

My Komaflex has both a leaf shutter and a reflex mirror. Its loud for such a tiny camera! And quite complicated mechanically. Its only real issue is that at its maximum speed (1/500th) it'll consistently do a blurred or double image; I think due to mirror bounce or something.

Old 10-10-2019   #8
CharlesDAMorgan

I find my Rolleicord to have the least butch shutter sound, with the 'flexes not far behind. The Leica III and the Zorkis I have make a sound that reminds me of cocking the bolt on a Lee Enfield .303 (I'm sure a Mauser or soviet equivalent equally likely).

Of SLRs I find most rather loud and dissonant, with a special place in hell for the 67 I owned, an absurd amount of energy released to ruin exposures with shake. However, for mechanical pleasure the Leicaflex SL2 is rather joyous.

But the summum bonum, the apotheosis of shutters, is that of the Leica M2 or 3 I own (I'm sure other Ms are equally wonderful) and it comes closest to the sound of the virgin's sigh, which is the release of a champagne cork done properly. Add in that wonderful film advance and the whole thing is a private joy.

Leica M2, Nikon D700, Bronica RF645, Leica CL, Summicron 40mm, Rolleicord Va, Hasselblad 500 CM Zeiss Planar all gone.

Old 10-10-2019   #9
Larry Cloetta

Whenever I want to feel like a professional instead of a sneak, I pull out my Nikon F2 and let it rip. Some kind of perfect mechanical ledgerdemain going on inside that thing, not a snick, not a thwack, not a click. There is just no onomatopoeia which can describe that sound using written letters. Lovely if you are in the mood. Besides, sometimes it's just too quiet in here! Wake up everybody, you're on Not-Candid Camera!

“It is about time we take photography seriously and treat it as a hobby.” Elliot Erwitt

Old 10-10-2019   #10
rumbliegeos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Cloetta View Post
Whenever I want to feel like a professional instead of a sneak, I pull out my Nikon F2 and let it rip. Some kind of perfect mechanical ledgerdemain going on inside that thing, not a snick, not a thwack, not a click. There is just no onomatopoeia which can describe that sound using written letters. Lovely if you are in the mood. Besides, sometimes it's just too quiet in here! Wake up everybody, you're on Not-Candid Camera!

As an F2 and M2 user I agree completely with the preceding two posters. I think of the F2 shutter sound at the higher speeds as a bark, and the M2 as a quiet little “ssnickkk”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 10-10-2019   #11
Timmyjoe

I find the most annoying sounding shutter of all my cameras is the one on my Nikon FM2N. It's loud, but not extremely so, but man it sounds like a crappy piece of tin, and gives me the sensation that I'm shooting a piece of junk that may fail at any moment. And I've had this camera since new in 1996. Has sounded like this since the beginning.

I love the way my rangefinder shutters sound.

Best,
-Tim

Old 10-10-2019   #12
css9450

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumbliegeos View Post
I think of the F2 shutter sound at the higher speeds as a bark....

Now add on the distinctive sound on an MD-2 motordrive... Now THAT's 1970s photojournalism in action!

Old 10-10-2019   #13
Larry Cloetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by css9450 View Post
Now add on the distinctive sound on an MD-2 motordrive... Now THAT's 1970s photojournalism in action!
That’s a bridge too far, even for me, because I just don’t look grown up enough to be manning that thing.

“It is about time we take photography seriously and treat it as a hobby.” Elliot Erwitt

Old 10-10-2019   #14
mpaniagua

Dunno, Kiev 88 shutter sounds "industrial". Load and metallic.

Old 10-10-2019   #15
Pentode

One of the (many) reasons I stopped using a Bronica S2a many years ago was the KA-PLOCK!! of the shutter. That thing felt like it was trying to jump out of my hands and make a getaway.

Old 10-10-2019   #16
Pentode

Sorry- double posted.

Old 10-10-2019   #17
johnf04

The problem with rangefinders is.....you can take a photograph with the lens cap on.

Old 10-10-2019   #18
Barry Kirsten

I'm loving this thread. Probably the greatest photographic cringe factor for me is shutter noise and I avoid it like the plague. Where possible in an SLR I use mirror lockup mainly to reduce mirror vibration, because the mirror has to do its thing anyway. In any small camera the standard I look for in shutter noise is something that compares with the sound of my LF lenses leaf shutters. I'm ever the optimist.

Old 10-10-2019   #19
charjohncarter

I have a Petri 7s (fixed shutter) that has the quietest shutter. But cocking the shutter sounds like my Pentax 6x7.

Old 10-10-2019   #20
Abbazz
6x9 and be there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregm61 View Post
But I would bet both your Rollei and Panasonic provide a much more vibration-reducing environment for your images.
Contrary to the commonly accepted Internet truth, I have never felt that the big Pentax was particularly subject to vibration induced image blur. The camera has a very comfortable grip and I can reliably shoot at 1/30s handheld with the 105mm, while 1/30s with the GM5 (no in-body image stabilization) and a 25mm lens is more like gambling.

Maybe it's because the hands holding firmly the large camera act as an energy dissipator. Or maybe because the vibrations are mostly induced by the mirror going up before the shutter starts firing and have therefore no ill effect on image sharpness.

Cheers!

Abbazz

The 6x9 Photography Online Resource

Old 10-10-2019   #21
seany65

My Ferrania Elioflex mk1 has a shutter so quiet that you never know if you've fired it until you go to wind on and you hear the loud klunk of the double-exposure prevention mechanism.

Last edited by seany65 : 10-12-2019 at 15:07. Reason: added: prevention

Old 10-10-2019   #22
giganova

I sometimes take my Mamiya RZ67 out at parties to entertain them with the shutter noise ... absolutely gorgeous sound that covers so many frequencies.

Old 10-10-2019   #23
peterm1

The problem with rangefinders is that..........they are all Nikon F SLRs in disguise (apparently)

https://www.rangefinderforum.com/for...hlight=nikon+f

Old 10-10-2019   #24
james.liam

The Leica R8/9 have shutter sounds that declare their presence but unobtrusively and without vibrations; quickly and efficiently. A pleasing noise.

Got to wholeheartedly agree with Timmyjoe on the FM2n. Sloppy KERPLONK. Unbecoming of an otherwise solid machine.

Old 10-10-2019   #25
kxl
Social Documentary

The problem with rangefinders is that......... they don't take good pictures. At least mine don't. Every RF camera that I've owned for 30+ years has been bad.

"... I thought the only way to give us an incentive, to bring hope, is to show the pictures of the pristine planet - to see the innocence.” ― Sebastiao Salgado

Old 10-12-2019   #26
CharlesDAMorgan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyjoe View Post
I find the most annoying sounding shutter of all my cameras is the one on my Nikon FM2N. It's loud, but not extremely so, but man it sounds like a crappy piece of tin, and gives me the sensation that I'm shooting a piece of junk that may fail at any moment. And I've had this camera since new in 1996. Has sounded like this since the beginning.

I love the way my rangefinder shutters sound.

Best,
-Tim
I took my FM2n out yesterday to finish the roll. What has always struck me about Nikon gear is how well it is made, how good a job Nikon engineers did to make cameras that were ergonomic and functional, that could be relied on to do the job. I suspect optimising the sounds featured low down their list of things to get right. It is just a metallic click that does its job.

Leica M2, Nikon D700, Bronica RF645, Leica CL, Summicron 40mm, Rolleicord Va, Hasselblad 500 CM Zeiss Planar all gone.

Old 10-12-2019   #27
Ambro51

I hate a camera with a shutter So quiet that it leaves me unsure it fired. As far as Noise, I vw got a Bell and Howell Foton, which is loud for a single shot....the thing can fire off 17 equally noisy shots at 6 frames per second!

Old 10-12-2019   #28
George Mann

The sound most cameras make don't bother me. Only the ones I can't hear (did it work?)!

Old 10-12-2019   #29
james.liam

The problem with rangefinders....long lenses are a bitch to use. And by long, 90mm and above.

Old 10-12-2019   #30
davidnewtonguitars
Family Snaps

The M2 is almost noiseless, but I can feel the shutter actuate through the button. I like that.

Old 10-12-2019   #31
Richard G

Ahem. "K-Kla—Shoomp." (500C/M)

Old 10-12-2019   #32
Archlich

The leaf shutter, rangefinder Plaubel Makina 67 makes a noticeable thump. I believe there're many rangefinder cameras that are pretty loud out there. The Robot Royal for example.

Now that it's 2019, I see even less point in this argument. None would better an electronic shutter in this regard.

Old 10-13-2019   #33
Out to Lunch

There are no problems with rangefinders. They are what they is. If you have a problem with rangefinders. Deal with it.

An electronically control actuation lacks a certain "je ne sais quoi"
Old 10-13-2019   #34
Solinar
Analog Preferred

An electronically control actuation lacks a certain "je ne sais quoi"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archlich View Post
The leaf shutter, rangefinder Plaubel Makina 67 makes a noticeable thump. I believe there're many rangefinder cameras that are pretty loud out there. The Robot Royal for example.

Now that it's 2019, I see even less point in this argument. None would better an electronic shutter in this regard.
This past week I was using an old late 1950'ies Voigtlander fixed-lens 35mm rangefinder in a quiet interior room with a marble staircase and granite floors. The lighting was rather dim. I don't know if anyone else was able to hear it, but at 1/15th of a second, the shutter actuated with such a satisfying "schnick" - that had a touch of spring and gear driven whir from the slow speed escapement.

I don't think sound of the shutter actuation at 1/15th of second on my nearly all electric Olympus XA would be nearly as pleasurable.

35mm Gear Bessa R, Leica II, - IIIg, - M2
Just for fun 35mm Gear a Kodak Retina IIa, a Rollei 35 S, plus a Voigtlander Vito II and Vito BR
Modern Medium Format Fuji GW 690III
Vintage MF Folders a Voigtländer Perkeo II and Bessa II, 2 of them - a ZI Mess Ikonta 524/2 - plus an Agfa Super Isolette & a Record III
Digital a D300 and a D700 with some primes - still going over a decade later

"Who spilled the Dektol on the bathroom carpet?"

Old 10-13-2019   #35
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Out to Lunch View Post
There are no problems with rangefinders. They are what they is. If you have a problem with rangefinders. Deal with it.
They can't. They are SLRians.

Quote:
"no shutter sound"
Whut? M8 and any Bessa will give you shutter sound. HCB called Leica shutter sound as the "kiss". I'd rather hear kiss as sound of my accomplishment than stove's exhaust flapper on windy day.

Quote:
"could take photo with cap on the lens"
enjoy your yellow, red filter on SLR.

Quote:
"long lenses are not good on RF"
HCB has no problem with 90 on M3. And SLR wide ones sucks. Show me SLR 21 as small as CV CS 21 f4. Or as small 90/4 as LTM Elmar.

Old 10-13-2019   #36
ChrisPlatt
Thread Killer

The electronic shutter of my Bronica RF645 sounded like an asthmatic rodent.

Chris

Old 10-13-2019   #37
Deardorff38

there is no problem w rangefinder cameras!

Old 10-13-2019   #38
raid
Dad Photographer

There may exist instead some problems with RF camera users!

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 10-13-2019   #39
Phil_F_NM
Camera hacker

All the shipboard US Navy photographers mates used Pentax 67s for aerial shots from helicopters since the late 80s. Hanging out a helo door a thousand feet from the water is one of those places where the 67 doesn't sound loud at all...

I loved the sound of the Bronica S2a, like racking a Mossberg 12ga!

The quietest shutter I never heard was my old Hexar on silent mode. I had to watch the framelines reset to make sure it fired.

As for the OP, just keep living, all those shutters will keep getting quieter and quieter... I can't hear my Retina IIa out of my right ear at all these days, and my left probably isn't far behind.
Phil Forrest

Old 10-14-2019   #40
markjwyatt

I like the lack of noise on my Contax iia. The problems with rangefinders include (already mentioned)- lens cap, but i have trained myself well, and my Voigtlander lens actually unscrewed a ways on me a couple of times (SC Skopar 21mm f4). I think I have it safely snug now, but I lost most of a roll a couple of weeks ago, because I did not catch it until after I shot the roll (I took the yellow filter off and saw it). I love the lens, so I just need to keep checking it to be sure. If I had an SLR, I would have found the problem immediately.

pumpkin harvest by Mark Wyatt, on Flickr