Fuji film stock coming to an end?
Old 04-13-2019   #1
james.liam
Registered User
 
james.liam is offline
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Nieuw Amsterdam
Posts: 299
Fuji film stock coming to an end?

I was told by a reliable sort I know for >10 years working at one of the two notable New York City-based camera equipment suppliers, that the film we see coming from Fuji are stores from deep freeze (after an enormous production run years ago) and that they have rid themselves of the machinery to make new stock. He further told me the decision was made long ago and based on expectations of film's imminent demise.

I pressed him on whether he was joking and he said he was dead-serious.

Anyone else here this?
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-13-2019   #2
Hogarth Ferguson
Registered User
 
Hogarth Ferguson's Avatar
 
Hogarth Ferguson is offline
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 647
Yes, this is a rumor that has been going around for some time, and until it is actual proof that isnt' "some guy at some store" it is speculation at best.



The more threads like this just further the rumor instead of providing any proof.
__________________
My Website
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-13-2019   #3
CMur12
Registered User
 
CMur12 is offline
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Moses Lake, Washington, USA
Age: 67
Posts: 1,057
James, there have been several recent threads here about the future of film.


The most recent thread is titled, "Year End Results for Kodak," which includes a lot of bickering, but probably encapsulates fairly well what we know as members of this forum. One member claims to have spoken to film companies at Photokina, who are reported (Fuji included) to deny what your friend told you:


https://www.rangefinderforum.com/for...hreadid=168035


- Murray
__________________
Still shooting film: Medium Format with assorted TLRs; 35mm with manual-focus Minolta SLRs and a Canonet.
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2019   #4
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey
 
Keith's Avatar
 
Keith is offline
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Australia
Posts: 18,626
And lets not forget that there are facts ... and then there are the 'alternative facts!'
__________________
---------------------------
flickr
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2019   #5
Prest_400
Multiformat
 
Prest_400's Avatar
 
Prest_400 is offline
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Sweden/Spain
Posts: 915
The speculation lies in about two tracks: One is that they are still doing their batches of C41 and E6 and the price increase of 30% was to reach sustainable levels of income. The other one is that the increase is to milk the last remaining off still film following the discontinued argumentation.


Fuji shouldn't have a problem of production very much under capacity as they have Instax that surely is making their coating operations work. Getting rid of the finishing machinery? That could be like Peel apart, and then use the space for more Instax?



Or they are just doing business as usual.





In any case, speculation is all we can do from here.
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2019   #6
Sarcophilus Harrisii
Brett Rogers
 
Sarcophilus Harrisii is online now
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by james.liam View Post
I was told by a reliable sort I know for >10 years working at one of the two notable New York City-based camera equipment suppliers, that the film we see coming from Fuji are stores from deep freeze (after an enormous production run years ago) and that they have rid themselves of the machinery to make new stock. He further told me the decision was made long ago and based on expectations of film's imminent demise.

I pressed him on whether he was joking and he said he was dead-serious.

Anyone else here this?
You could write to Fuji and ask them, anything else is neither constructive or helpful—as is starting this thread...
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2019   #7
DanskDynamit
Registered User
 
DanskDynamit's Avatar
 
DanskDynamit is offline
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 428
I hope it's true and they finally leave the film industry for good.
__________________
DanskDynamit
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2019   #8
Sarcophilus Harrisii
Brett Rogers
 
Sarcophilus Harrisii is online now
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanskDynamit View Post
I hope it's true and they finally leave the film industry for good.
That's a particularly dense observation.
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2019   #9
Archlich
Registered User
 
Archlich is offline
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,307
They've got 2000+ people at the Ashigara site producing film materials for various industrial & civilian use, "light sensitive ones" included, since 1934. Recent reports hasn't stated otherwise...
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2019   #10
Larry Cloetta
Registered User
 
Larry Cloetta is offline
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Jackson, WY
Age: 69
Posts: 1,614
Will this dead horse never get a moment’s rest?
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2019   #11
james.liam
Registered User
 
james.liam is offline
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Nieuw Amsterdam
Posts: 299
Thanks guys, some of you have shown so much grace in your answers above!
I'll enquire elsewhere next time when I have a question.
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2019   #12
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot
 
Ko.Fe.'s Avatar
 
Ko.Fe. is offline
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: MiltON.ONtario
Posts: 7,503
The only reputable source would be direct source with evidence (a.k.a. Pictures).

Some guy, somewhere in NY isn't source at all. Especially in the camera store. They need to sell and to do this they will tell anything.
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2019   #13
ptpdprinter
Registered User
 
ptpdprinter is offline
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 1,689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko.Fe. View Post
The only reputable source would be direct source with evidence (a.k.a. Pictures).
So now we have to have pictures to believe anything. What exactly do you want pictures of?
__________________
ambientlightcollection.com
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2019   #14
jsrockit
Moderator
 
jsrockit's Avatar
 
jsrockit is offline
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Santiago, Chile
Age: 46
Posts: 20,008
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptpdprinter View Post
So now we have to have pictures to believe anything. What exactly do you want pictures of?
Of a Fuji employee holding the last roll of film labelled "last roll of film" of course!
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2019   #15
ptpdprinter
Registered User
 
ptpdprinter is offline
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 1,689
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
Of a Fuji employee holding the last roll of film labelled "last roll of film" of course!
I didn't see a photo of a Fuji employee holding up the last roll of Acros so they must not have discontinued it, but damned if I can find any.
__________________
ambientlightcollection.com
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2019   #16
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot
 
Ko.Fe.'s Avatar
 
Ko.Fe. is offline
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: MiltON.ONtario
Posts: 7,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
Of a Fuji employee holding the last roll of film labelled "last roll of film" of course!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptpdprinter View Post
So now we have to have pictures to believe anything. What exactly do you want pictures of?
Read OP first before starting trolling.

So many lame comments like yours on forums simply because folks like you are lazy to read OP.
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2019   #17
ptpdprinter
Registered User
 
ptpdprinter is offline
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 1,689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko.Fe. View Post
Read OP first before starting trolling.

So many lame comments like yours on forums simply because folks like you are lazy to read OP.
I read the OP. What does that rumor have to do with your requirement for pictures as proof of the discontinuation of film production?
__________________
ambientlightcollection.com
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2019   #18
jsrockit
Moderator
 
jsrockit's Avatar
 
jsrockit is offline
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Santiago, Chile
Age: 46
Posts: 20,008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko.Fe. View Post
Read OP first before starting trolling.

So many lame comments like yours on forums simply because folks like you are lazy to read OP.
Relax. Please think of the type of evidence you would like in photographic form to prove this... what would it be?
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2019   #19
B-9
Devin Bro
 
B-9's Avatar
 
B-9 is offline
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,278
This fatalistic attitude towards films survival must be coming from new film users?

I happen to be in the opposite camp. I see film sales slowly rising. Heck, my sale of films has been both active and profitable.

I strongly doubt the rumor, that we are seeing frozen stock, Fuji just recently discontinued Xtra 200/400 in 24exp rolls. They released a new Tri-pack of 36exp rolls (more bang for your buck over the 4x24). That indicates the direct opposite.

@OP James, I’ll be the one to apologize, RFF is a great resource, but topics like this have been a real sore spot for other members! Just fair warning.
__________________
Made in Michigan

RangefinderGuy @ Instagram
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2019   #20
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot
 
Ko.Fe.'s Avatar
 
Ko.Fe. is offline
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: MiltON.ONtario
Posts: 7,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptpdprinter View Post
I read the OP. What does that rumor have to do with your requirement for pictures as proof of the discontinuation of film production?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
Relax. Please think of the type of evidence you would like in photographic form to prove this... what would it be?
Well, maybe you are just not able to read OP and understand what is written in it. "Nobody's perfect".

If here is huge amount of film in the freezer, it should be pictures of it.
Tens of thousands if not hundreds of thousands rolls in the freezer.

If here is act of getting rid of film production lines here should be very obvious pictures of it.
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2019   #21
jsrockit
Moderator
 
jsrockit's Avatar
 
jsrockit is offline
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Santiago, Chile
Age: 46
Posts: 20,008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko.Fe. View Post
Well, maybe you are just not able to read OP and understand what is written in it. "Nobody's perfect".
Well, it is open for interpretation. Why would a guy that doesn`t work for Fuji have this photo? Why would Fuji release this photo? Perhaps it was just a figure of speech?

Quote:
If here is huge amount of film in the freezer, it should be pictures of it.Tens of thousands if not hundreds of thousands rolls in the freezer.

If here is act of getting rid of film production lines here should be very obvious pictures of it.
To Fuji, if they are truly getting out of this business, don`t you think they have more important things to work on than proving this to the internet?
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2019   #22
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot
 
Ko.Fe.'s Avatar
 
Ko.Fe. is offline
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: MiltON.ONtario
Posts: 7,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
Well, it is open for interpretation. Why would a guy that doesn`t work for Fuji have this photo? Why would Fuji release this photo? Perhaps it was just a figure of speech?



To Fuji, if they are truly getting out of this business, don`t you think they have more important things to work on than proving this to the internet?
Sorry, I'm not following your logic. What Fuji as business has to do with it?

Everyone who has access to Fuji could take picture of giant freezer or ripped out coaters and make it available. While remaining anonymous.
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2019   #23
jsrockit
Moderator
 
jsrockit's Avatar
 
jsrockit is offline
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Santiago, Chile
Age: 46
Posts: 20,008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko.Fe. View Post
Sorry, I'm not following your logic. What Fuji as business has to do with it?

Everyone who has access to Fuji could take picture of giant freezer or ripped out coaters and make it available. While remaining anonymous.
I think you are assuming that those people care to show to the world. It probably is just a job to many of the people who work there. I`m with you on one thing though... I don`t think the guy in NYC knows much. He`s probably going with word of mouth info.
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2019   #24
ptpdprinter
Registered User
 
ptpdprinter is offline
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 1,689
Fujifilm films (other than Instax) readily available in the US appear to be limited to the following:

Fujichrome Velvia 50
Fujichrome Velvia 100
Fujichrome Provia 100F
Fujicolor 200
Fujicolor Pro 400H
Fujicolor Superia X-TRA 400

Fuji used to make a lot of other films. I am not aware of any pictures of their discontinuation so maybe all of those old films are really still in production too.
__________________
ambientlightcollection.com
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2019   #25
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot
 
Ko.Fe.'s Avatar
 
Ko.Fe. is offline
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: MiltON.ONtario
Posts: 7,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
I think you are assuming that those people care to show to the world. It probably is just a job to many of the people who work there. I`m with you on one thing though... I don`t think the guy in NYC knows much. He`s probably going with word of mouth info.
If they are willing to tell the world according to rumor in OP, why couldn't they care to show?
Then Rogers Cable rebuild their broadcasting rooms and only one rack left with equipment I helped to install and was looking after for years, I took picture of it.
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2019   #26
jsrockit
Moderator
 
jsrockit's Avatar
 
jsrockit is offline
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Santiago, Chile
Age: 46
Posts: 20,008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko.Fe. View Post
If they are willing to tell the world according to rumor in OP, why couldn't they care to show?
They might not have the photo?
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2019   #27
Corran
Registered User
 
Corran is offline
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 1,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogarth Ferguson View Post
Yes, this is a rumor that has been going around for some time, and until it is actual proof that isnt' "some guy at some store" it is speculation at best.



The more threads like this just further the rumor instead of providing any proof.
First reply is all that was needed.
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2019   #28
tunalegs
Pretended Artist
 
tunalegs's Avatar
 
tunalegs is offline
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,584
Anybody have a clue why Fuji would want to hide discontinuation of film? Wouldn't saying "this is the last we have" be a good way to get it all out the door?


Remember when Holga cameras were "discontinued" and the manufacturer claimed they threw away all the tooling? Then a year later, magically, the tooling was "discovered" and new cameras were made?
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2019   #29
littleearth
Registered User
 
littleearth is offline
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 170
At WPPI Fuji North America said they sold more 400H in 2018 than the year before. They are still producing film, for how long I don't know.
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2019   #30
jbharrill1
Registered User
 
jbharrill1 is offline
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: NC
Posts: 115
boyyyyyyyyy, you sure opened up a can of worms.

"Pics or it didn't happen!!!"! Actually I guess I should say "Pics or it isn't going to be happening!!!!'
__________________
www.baxterharrill.com
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2019   #31
ptpdprinter
Registered User
 
ptpdprinter is offline
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 1,689
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleearth View Post
At WPPI Fuji North America said they sold more 400H in 2018 than the year before. They are still producing film, for how long I don't know.
Funny they should single out 400H. It's their least expensive film at $2.99/roll.
__________________
ambientlightcollection.com
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2019   #32
Moto-Uno
Moto-Uno
 
Moto-Uno's Avatar
 
Moto-Uno is offline
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: The Wet Coast
Posts: 1,657
^ You're definitely not referencing Canada with that pricing , Peter
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2019   #33
Prest_400
Multiformat
 
Prest_400's Avatar
 
Prest_400 is offline
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Sweden/Spain
Posts: 915
They rationalised the lines, if it still makes sense to do occasional runs of still film they will keep on doing it then.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ptpdprinter View Post
Funny they should single out 400H. It's their least expensive film at $2.99/roll.
You got mixed up with Superia (Xtra) 400. In the US is very cheap in its 4x36exp multipack, but in EU not really. Interesting distribution difference.


Pro 400H is the film they talk about, it's all the rage in wedding and editorial and if you follow one of the labs that cater to that market (there is another thread around here about it and I mention) 400H is a staple. Airy and pastel colors shot below box speed.
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2019   #34
ptpdprinter
Registered User
 
ptpdprinter is offline
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 1,689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-Uno View Post
^ You're definitely not referencing Canada with that pricing , Peter
Pricing in Canada is unbelievable. Must be a real damper on the film renaissance.
__________________
ambientlightcollection.com
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2019   #35
Ted Striker
Registered User
 
Ted Striker's Avatar
 
Ted Striker is offline
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 850
30% price increase in all Fuji films tomorrow. Order yours today.
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2019   #36
traveler_101
American abroad
 
traveler_101 is offline
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Oslo, Norway
Posts: 1,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanskDynamit View Post
I hope it's true and they finally leave the film industry for good.
I would interpret this as follows: the sooner the big firms get out the more likely smaller sustainable firms can take over. I see the point here given the limited size of the film market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-9 View Post
This fatalistic attitude towards films survival must be coming from new film users?

I happen to be in the opposite camp. I see film sales slowly rising. Heck, my sale of films has been both active and profitable. . . .
As I recall, sales have increased from 20 million rolls in 2009 to 26 million today. But in 1999 900 million rolls sold. One argument is that the large scale firms have equipment and facilities completely out of scale with current and future demand. Returns are not sufficient to invest in new equipment, facilities and training for new employees and so sooner or later they will drop out of film production. I see this as a plausible argument, but Kodak and Fuji and Foma are inn fact still making film and there are some who argue that industrial uses of film will come to the rescue. We shall see.
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2019   #37
aizan
Registered User
 
aizan's Avatar
 
aizan is offline
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Torrance, CA
Age: 37
Posts: 4,630
Considering the volume that their equipment was designed to produce, I would not be surprised in the slightest if Fuji made a lot of film then put it into deep freeze. Make a lot, put it in the freezer, sell it off at today's slower pace, then make more when you run low on stock. I'll panic when they announce that they aren't going to make any more.
__________________
Ugly Cameras
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2019   #38
Ted Striker
Registered User
 
Ted Striker's Avatar
 
Ted Striker is offline
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 850
E6 film hardly sells today. B & H has both expired Provia and Velvia for sale. Fuji's going to need some BIG freezers to keep this stuff fresh.
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2019   #39
Saul
fighting inertia
 
Saul's Avatar
 
Saul is offline
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Baltimore MD
Posts: 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcophilus Harrisii View Post
That's a particularly dense observation.
This come-back is a bullseye!
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2019   #40
Faintandfuzzy
Registered User
 
Faintandfuzzy's Avatar
 
Faintandfuzzy is offline
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptpdprinter View Post
Funny they should single out 400H. It's their least expensive film at $2.99/roll.
Where is Pro 400H $2.99 a roll?
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:27.


vBulletin skin developed by: eXtremepixels
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

All content on this site is Copyright Protected and owned by its respective owner. You may link to content on this site but you may not reproduce any of it in whole or part without written consent from its owner.