Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > TLR Forum - Twin Lens Reflex

TLR Forum - Twin Lens Reflex another alternative to the dreaded SLR way of seeing, this forum for all format TLR cameras

Old 05-13-2010   #41
Mudman

With the Walz version of the Rolleinar

Old 05-25-2010   #42
jbielikowski
call me Jan

Rolleinar 2 with bay I just arrived... and now I know 3.5 C does not have bay I, Tessar was misleading. Nevertheless 15mins and some cardboard made it fit.

Old 05-25-2010   #43
Wayno

Aha, so it is bay 2. I was pretty sure that you're camera would originally have been fitted with a Planar or Xenotar. It sounds like you've used a bit of ingenuity to make the bay 1 Rolleinar fit.

Old 10-27-2010   #44
MISH

my rollinar set #1 bay 1 does not have one that is thicker than the other both are the same ...did they ever come from Rollei like this or did someone put two of the taking filters together (it did come in a nice Rollie case)

Old 10-28-2010   #45
Thomas78

There are two different versions available.
The older version consist of two rolleinar, one for each lens and a "rolleiparkeil" (a prism) for parallax compensation, so there are three pieces.

The more modern version has a rolleinar for the taking lens and a combination of the prism and a rolleinar in one piece, the "Heidosmat-Rolleinar" for the viewing lens.

Old 03-09-2011   #46
froyd

According to the Rolleinar DOF char, at 19 3/4" it seems like I would need f11 to have 3" focus zone (enough fot tip of the nose to back of eye socket). Are all those gorgeous rolleinar portraits I see on the web really shot at f11 of greater?

Old 03-12-2011   #47
Costo Kim

rolleinar I on rolleiflex 2.8c plarar

201004-203-rollei28c-400tx-00 by Costo, on Flickr

Old 03-12-2011   #48
Spavinaw

For those using Rolleinars or similar devices, heed Wayno's words, "What you see on the ground glass is not exactly what you get on film". I was doing a product shot with colored paper background. Everything looked good in the finder when I took the shot, but when the film was developed I found that the taking lens lens was looking slightly above the background paper. Bummer as it was a slide. Remember this, parallax is only corrected at the point of focus. This is true with any parallax correcting finder, not just TLR's. However, there is a cure for this. A Paramender or similar device is a short pole that mounts between a TLR and a tripod. The length of the pole can be changed a distance just equal to the distance between the centers of the taking lens and viewing lens. First compose the picture with the camera in the lower position. Then raise the camera to the upper position. Now the taking lens is exactly where the viewing lens was, and it will take exactly what the viewing lens saw!

Old 03-14-2011   #49
Towermax

I just got an interesting Bay 1 set on eBay--there's a Rolleiparkeil and two Carl Zeiss Jena Proxar 1. I'm guessing the Zeiss Jena Proxars will be fairly decent, though probably not up to Rollei standards.

Also included were two Bay 1 Rollei Dutos, 0 and 1. I seem to recall that the Duto is some kind of soft focus filter? Do they perform well? How are they best used?

How to line up prismas of the Rolleinars?
Old 04-17-2011   #50
ki_

How to line up prismas of the Rolleinars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhligfd View Post
Now you can also add two diopters such as the 1 and 2 to get object distances [ů]

The prismas on the viewing lens will line up and there is much fun to be had here. Enjoy!
That sounds very interesting, but how do I line up the prismas? There is no bayonet mount on them (I own the two part Rolleinar 1 and the three part Rolleinar 2 both RII).
Are there any adapters? Or can you replace the front ring of the parkeil/rolleinar?

Old 04-18-2011   #51
JPD
J. Patric DahlÚn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towermax View Post
I just got an interesting Bay 1 set on eBay--there's a Rolleiparkeil and two Carl Zeiss Jena Proxar 1. I'm guessing the Zeiss Jena Proxars will be fairly decent, though probably not up to Rollei standards.
Carl Zeiss made them for Rollei, and the quality is excellent.

Quote:
Also included were two Bay 1 Rollei Dutos, 0 and 1. I seem to recall that the Duto is some kind of soft focus filter? Do they perform well? How are they best used?
The Duto filters (Invented by the hungarian photographer Jen÷ Dulovitz and marketed with his business partner Mikos Toth (DUlovitz-TOth)) are indeed soft filters. The softening effect depends on the aperture, and work best at 3,5 - 5,6.
Duto 1 is the stronger one. They were later called Rolleisoft. Very good for portraits, romantic landscapes and still lifes.

Last edited by JPD : 04-18-2011 at 17:03.

Old 04-18-2011   #52
Vics

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCT View Post
If I'm not mistaken, Richard Avedon did most of his portrait work with a Rolleiflex and a Rolleinar.

JT
That's correct. I used to have a video of him teaching a master class with just that.

My Flickr

Old 04-18-2011   #53
Vics

Quote:
Originally Posted by MISH View Post
my rollinar set #1 bay 1 does not have one that is thicker than the other both are the same ...did they ever come from Rollei like this or did someone put two of the taking filters together (it did come in a nice Rollie case)
That's the way mine are, too.

My Flickr

Old 04-18-2011   #54
Vics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas78 View Post
There are two different versions available.
The older version consist of two rolleinar, one for each lens and a "rolleiparkeil" (a prism) for parallax compensation, so there are three pieces.

The more modern version has a rolleinar for the taking lens and a combination of the prism and a rolleinar in one piece, the "Heidosmat-Rolleinar" for the viewing lens.
Thanks a lot for that post, Thomas78! That completely clears up my confusion about my Bay1 set. I have two Rolleinar 1, two 2, a Rolleiparkiel and the more modern pair for the Rolleinar 3. I guess the rolleiparkiel is for use with both 1 and 2?

My Flickr

Old 04-18-2011   #55
raid
Dad Photographer

This makes sense; I have I,II,III each in two pieces

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...n.php?cid=7007

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 04-20-2011   #56
JPD
J. Patric DahlÚn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vics View Post
I guess the rolleiparkiel is for use with both 1 and 2?
No, the Rolleiparkeil 1 is for the Proxar/Rolleipar/Rolleinar 1 and Rolleiparkeil 2 is for the 2.

The "keil" (wedge-prism) gives a little different perspective in the two versions.

(Rolleipar, the "par" is german for "pair", because it comes in sets of two, one for the viewing and one for the taking lens. The Rolleiparkeil is then the third accessory).

The advantage with the three-piece set is that the two plain close-up lenses can be used together when using the plate adapter. Then you can focus directly on the film plane. (You can also use a Paramender, like the one for the Mamiya TLR's, and use the close-up lenses on the viewing lens first for focusing, and then put them on the taking lens and move the camera up with the Paramender).

Old 04-20-2011   #57
Vics

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
No, the Rolleiparkeil 1 is for the Proxar/Rolleipar/Rolleinar 1 and Rolleiparkeil 2 is for the 2.

The "keil" (wedge-prism) gives a little different perspective in the two versions.

(Rolleipar, the "par" is german for "pair", because it comes in sets of two, one for the viewing and one for the taking lens. The Rolleiparkeil is then the third accessory).

The advantage with the three-piece set is that the two plain close-up lenses can be used together when using the plate adapter. Then you can focus directly on the film plane. (You can also use a Paramender, like the one for the Mamiya TLR's, and use the close-up lenses on the viewing lens first for focusing, and then put them on the taking lens and move the camera up with the Paramender).
Thanks for that info. I guess I'm in the market for a Bay 1 Rolleiparkeil 1. Anyone out there wat to sell theirs? I also need bay 2 nos.1 and 2 Rolleinars.

My Flickr

Old 04-23-2011   #58
joachim
Convicted Ektachome user

Quote:

Not quite. Pair is "Paar" in German (double a). As you wrote "Keil" is for wedge, so this is a "Keil" which compensates the parallax ("Parallaxe" in German).

I have a three piece set (+1) and a two piece set (+2). I prefer the two piece since that is coated, while my three piece set is not. In particular for the finder contrast that matters (4 uncoated glass-air surfaces).

Old 04-23-2011   #59
JPD
J. Patric DahlÚn

Quote:
Originally Posted by joachim View Post
Not quite. Pair is "Paar" in German (double a). As you wrote "Keil" is for wedge, so this is a "Keil" which compensates the parallax ("Parallaxe" in German).
Thank you for correcting me! I thought "Par" was a contraction from "Paar", but you're right. I also forgot that the Rolleipar was the early name for the Rolleiparkeil and NOT for the Rolleinar.

Old 04-23-2011   #60
marduk

Just in case: I'm selling a bay I Rolleinar 1 (two lens coated version). I just doesn't suit my style of photography. I'm keeping though a bay II Rolleinar 2 which I'll try to use more.

Old 04-23-2011   #61
ZeissFan

I wouldn't be too concerned with quality. This wasn't the usual third-party knockoff crap. Remember, the Rolleiflex was used by both amateurs and pros, often in studios, and for the pros, they couldn't afford to put something on their lens that would degrade the image.

Old 04-23-2011   #62
ZeissFan

Quote:
This would be a wrong assumption. Carl Zeiss has always prided itself on producing top-quality products and has production standards that are second to none. Leica is on equal footing when it comes to attempting to produce the highest-quality optics possible.

If anything, Rollei's standard slipped, particularly in the 1980s when it comes to its line of 35mm SLRs and the Rollei B35/C35/35LED and the somewhat sketchy Rollei XF 35. Even the Rollei 35 models were cheapened when Rollei decided to use a synthetic gear -- which was easily damaged -- in the film advance.

Old 04-23-2011   #63
f16sunshine

Anyone using Rolleinar .35 or .7 ?

Old 04-23-2011   #64
Uncle Bill

Location: Oakville (somewhere west of Toronto) Ontario, Canada
I just picked up a Bay I Rolleinar 1 for my Rolleicord. I can't wait to try it out.

Old 04-23-2011   #65
JPD
J. Patric DahlÚn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeissFan View Post
I wouldn't be too concerned with quality. This wasn't the usual third-party knockoff crap. Remember, the Rolleiflex was used by both amateurs and pros, often in studios, and for the pros, they couldn't afford to put something on their lens that would degrade the image.
The Zeiss Proxars aren't third party accessories at all. They are the original close-up lenses for Rollei. No one would call the Zeiss Tessar lens on a Rolleiflex a third party lens.

http://www.rockycameras.com/ekmps/sh...99-19182-p.jpg

http://www.janboettcher.de/images/PROXARE.JPG

This is one of my Rolleiflex Standards with Proxars and Rolleiparkeil:

http://static.photo.net/attachments/...o-30684684.jpg

Old 04-24-2011   #66
nksyoon

Rolleinar 2 portrait

My Website
My Blurb Books

Old 04-24-2011   #67
Lilserenity

I picked up a Rolleinar 1 this week myself after posting about getting a higher + closer view point with my TLR, an Autocord (which I like very much indeed) but sadly the aperture has jammed on it over the past couple of days, not sure why, just went to use it one day and the aperture arm is not moving, so it's off to Karl Bryan as I had been planning but had wanted to shoot the one roll of 160NC in the camera and then send it off having got some Rolleinar 1 results in the bag.

Anyway, great little accessory, makes the camera much more versatile for those close in portraits where you don't want to crop and lose detail.

Managed to snag mine in great condition for ú25 which seemed a pretty good deal. In the future I may look for a Rolleinar 2 but in no hurry now.

Vicky

Old 04-25-2011   #68
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by f16sunshine View Post
I use a Rolleinar 0.35 on my Tele Rolleiflex. Works great and I like the ergonomics of the hinge/swing.

Sanders stacks a Rolleinar 1 onto a 0.35 on his Tele Rolleiflex for his wonderful head shots. I need to get a bay 3 Rolleinar 1 still. Seems to be a magic combo with that 135/4.0 Sonnar.

Cal

Old 04-25-2011   #69
Towermax

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeissFan View Post
This would be a wrong assumption. Carl Zeiss has always prided itself on producing top-quality products and has production standards that are second to none. Leica is on equal footing when it comes to attempting to produce the highest-quality optics possible.
Thanks for the reply, Mike. I own several Zeiss cameras and lenses, as well as a Zeiss Tessar and Sonnar for my Exakta--and I'm in full agreement with you.

My error was in assuming that these were less expensive East German substitutes for the Rollei close-up lenses. I've heard/read that postwar Zeiss Jena lenses have excellent design, but that manufacturing often left something to be desired. Certainly, my CZJ lenses for Werra and Exakta, while very nice, don't appear to be manufactured to the same standard as my Zeiss-Ikon lenses.

JPD's post stating that these are "the original close-up lenses for Rollei" makes it clear that these Proxars were OEM, not third-party. I'm looking forward to trying them out.

Old 04-25-2011   #70
Towermax

Quote:
The Zeiss Proxars aren't third party accessories at all. They are the original close-up lenses for Rollei. No one would call the Zeiss Tessar lens on a Rolleiflex a third party lens.
Thanks for the info in this and the preceding posts. Do you know when the Proxars were first offered for sale? Are they pre- or post-war?

Old 04-26-2011   #71
JPD
J. Patric DahlÚn

Quote:
Do you know when the Proxars were first offered for sale? Are they pre- or post-war?
1929 - 1949. With bayonet mount 1937 - 49. After that they were renamed "Rolleinar".

Carl Zeiss still makes (?) the Hasselblad close-up lenses under the name "Proxar".

Proxar lenses were also used on plate/large format cameras to shorten the focal length as a cheap wide angle accessory. Zeiss also made Distar lenses with negative power, that made the focal length longer.

Old 04-26-2011   #72
joachim
Convicted Ektachome user

Quote:

Proxar lenses were also used on plate/large format cameras to shorten the focal length as a cheap wide angle accessory. Zeiss also made Distar lenses with negative power, that made the focal length longer.
I find that it obvious in the finder that the Xenar on my 'cord gets wider when I use a Rolleinar.

Using a +1, the focal length changes from about 75mm to about 70 mm and about 65 mm for the +2. This is not dramatic, but noticeable.

Old 04-27-2011   #73
furcafe

I use both, but w/the Tele-Rolleiflex, as they were intended (to get within "normal" ranges of closeness w/that model for environmental/head & shoulder portraits, etc.). Per Calzone's post, you can use the stronger Rolleinars w/the Tele-Rolleiflex, too, if you want to get really tight.

Quote:
Five a Second. Chicago's Bell & Howell Co. (cameras) announced that it would put on sale this fall the world's most expensive still camera. Its "Foton" will take five 35-mm. pictures a second, sell for $700. Bell & Howell, which has found that "families of both low and high incomes now spend over $550" for movie equipment, hopes to sell 20,000 Fotons a year.
--Facts And Figures, Time magazine, Monday, October 4, 1948
My Photoblog

My Flickr stream

My RFF Gallery

My Instagram

Old 04-27-2011   #74
f16sunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by furcafe View Post
I use both, but w/the Tele-Rolleiflex, as they were intended (to get within "normal" ranges of closeness w/that model for environmental/head & shoulder portraits, etc.). Per Calzone's post, you can use the stronger Rolleinars w/the Tele-Rolleiflex, too, if you want to get really tight.
Ok great to know. I have both with the tele Rolleiflex I bought from another rff member. The .35 seems natural but the .7 is confusing me when I mess about with it. Like there is a gap in the focus range or maybe a gap between my ears (more likely)

Old 04-28-2011   #75
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Quote:
Ok great to know. I have both with the tele Rolleiflex I bought from another rff member. The .35 seems natural but the .7 is confusing me when I mess about with it. Like there is a gap in the focus range or maybe a gap between my ears (more likely)
Check out Sander's work. He does some great head shots using Rolleinars and a Tele Rolleiflex.

Cal

Old 04-28-2011   #76
jibanes

Where does the focus ring has to be when using a rolleinar?

Old 04-28-2011   #77
t.s.k.
Hooked on philm

^^ Huh?

Do you mean what is the focusing range with the rolleinars?
Look here

Well here's mine. I finally got around to scanning a few negs.

Tele Rollei + stacked 0.35 and #1 rolleinars
[email protected]

You can observe a lot by just watching.
-- Yogi Berra

Old 05-02-2011   #78
ianstamatic

sometimes they are just great to get in a little closer.

Rollinar 1 bay3 on 2.8e planar

My site

My Blog
My Instagram

Rollei 2.8E, II and Vb, Autocord, Ricoh Diacord +225, Ikoflex
Leica M3 x2 + CL, Contax G1 +28 +45 +90, Rollei 35s, Nikon F3, Lynx 14, Oly OM1, 35RC, 35SP,Konica EE, S2
Fuji gs645 folder +645W, Agfa Isolette's J,I, III, Iskra x2, Welta Waltur x2, Zenobia x3, Super Ikonta 532/16, ZI Nettar
Mamiya RZ Pro x2 bods, 50, 65, 110, 180, 240
Crown Graphic, Toyo 45a : 75 + 90 + 120 +135 +150 + 203 + 210 + 240
PhotoTherm SSK-8R, Aztec Drum Scanner

Old 05-07-2011   #79
Uncle Bill

Location: Oakville (somewhere west of Toronto) Ontario, Canada

Daffodils and Tulips by Bill Smith1, on Flickr

Rolleinar 1 on my Rolleicord IV with Ektar 100.

Old 08-02-2011   #80
Themckane

So I just picked up a Rolleinar 1 for my rolleicord V. question: Do you see a difference when looking thru the view finder? I did not see a difference

thanks