Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > Half Frames / Subminiatures

Half Frames / Subminiatures This forum is for all half frame 35mm cameras, including the very popular Olympus Pens and their SLR cousins, the Pen F and Pen FT, as well as all smaller than half frame subminiature film cameras.

Minox B with inscription
Old 12-21-2016   #1
hoffman
hoffman

Minox B with inscription

I have recently acquired a Minox B camera which according to the serial number was made in 1963- 1964. There is a small inscription on the back near the flash connection which appeared to have been inscribed with some form of tool.

The numbers inscribed are SC 993096. The colour of the writing is in black
The camera comes with a flash and it has the same numbers inscribed on the back of the flash. The camera and the lightmeter appear to work fine. The speed dial is a little stiff but no other problems. It has the original box and papers. I purchased the camera for 45 in the UK

I have 2 questions could it have government significance and if not does it devalue the camera as a collector's piece with an inscription although the rest of the camera is in good condition with no rubbing or dents.

All help appreciated.

Brian

Old 12-21-2016   #2
KoNickon
Nick Merritt

The inscription doesn't give any sort of clue as to its significance -- some sort of individual identification number perhaps? Members here from the EU might recognize the format and be able to weigh in.

But unless it's something denoting a special presentation camera (and I would think there'd be packaging consistent with that), the engraving would definitely detract from its value, yes. If it's well done -- professionally engraved, like on a trophy -- that would minimize the loss of value. But if it's clearly a do it yourself job, then that would not be good for the value.

Use the camera! Don't worry about its value. It sounds like it's working well.

Old 12-22-2016   #3
TheHub

I don't mean to rain on your parade, but the Minox B is the most prevalent of the Minoxes and therefore perhaps not the most valuable to collectors (unless it's gold.) That being said, if it is in working condition, by all means use it!

If you are searching for film, Blue Moon Camera & Machine in the United States sells, processes and prints Minox film.

Or, purchase/make a film slitter and enter the world of subminiature photography. It isn't easy, but the rewards are worth it (speaking as a full-time Minox user.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img067.jpg (24.2 KB, 10 views)

Old 12-22-2016   #4
hoffman
hoffman

Thanks guys for the help. I will mention it appears to be a not too well inscription done at home. The only reason I asked if it could have government significance is that the CIA had in the past inscribed by hand numbers on their cameras.

Old 12-22-2016   #5
jesse1dog
Light Catcher

Some years ago it was suggested that valuable items (!) were inscribed with a security code to deter employee theft. The Authority that I worked for insisted on this as it was a condition of insurance cover. It could the case with your Minox that for Home Insurance cover a similar stipulation was made.
So if the camera works - just use it.

'A photograph shows a slice of life that is already history; just a piece of a jig-saw that you will never see completed!'

Lumix LF1 LX7 and some others not in use!.

My Gallery