Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Leicas and other Leica Mount Cameras > Leica M10, 240 family, M-P, M60

Old 05-06-2016   #41
mikyor1

5000 for a rangefinder camera with a digital sensor but no lcd.

have people gone dumb?

Old 05-06-2016   #42
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikyor1 View Post
5000 for a rangefinder camera with a digital sensor but no lcd.

have people gone dumb?
Commenting (negatively) on a camera that one isn't going to buy...

have people gone...

Old 05-08-2016   #43
maitani

saw one yesterday, pretty nice camera, anybody has an idea on battery life?
i could imagine the battery lasts forever?

Old 05-08-2016   #44
Highway 61
Revisited

Quote:
Originally Posted by maitani View Post
Batteries are designed to be drained then charged regularly. From a certain point of inactivity onwards, this shortens the battery life as well as too many charging cycles. Hard to say.

When I owned my D700 I didn't use the screen because I was shooting NEF only and the battery had an exceptional life between two charges. But this peculiar Nikon battery was probably the best one ever made.

Old 05-08-2016   #45
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
Originally Posted by maitani View Post
I would imagine the M-D's battery life per charge is similar to my M-P the way I use it (LCD off most of the time except when making settings, using the rangefinder, and minimal use of the LCD for review purposes). I can regularly see 600-800 exposures with the M-P per charge, and occasionally upwards of 1000 exposures if I'm shooting a lot in a day's session.

If using the M-P more occasionally, the number of exposures drops because the camera while sitting, even when off, is consuming some power to keep the clock up to date, etc. The same will be true of the M-D.

G

Old 05-14-2016   #46
Graeme Roy

Hi all, new to the forum here...lurked a long while but figured I'd say hi. Long-time Leica owner, 30 years or so. I've shot lots with other brands over the years, most recently spent a lot of time with the Sony cameras. But I had the opportunity to pickup an M240 at a good price a while back so I'm in the Leica digital family now!
For me it it was a bit of a homecoming. Took a little to get used to, but I was super happy my first day out with it I was able to make a few photos I liked. As we all know, the connection between photographer and camera is a difficult to explain phenomena. You connect with some, with others not-so-much.
Moving back into the manual world of rangefinder focussing and the more nuanced exposure makes one think again...what are you trying to achieve with this photo? It's a concerted effort, a mission, to create with such a camera. It slows one down and puts a premium on thoughtfulness, experience and skill. For me, it is where I want to be, where I need to be.
As for this screen-less camera, ha, well, to each his own! It is neither dumb nor clever, it simply is. Is it right for you is all that matters. I for one do little 'chimping' with my screen when I am shooting. Because of my style I may occasionally check exposures, but other than that convenience I just leave it off.
With unlimited resources I'd maybe even give it a whirl, but in the real and expensive world we live in, I'm happy where I am with the 240.
Anyways, nice to meet you all. Cheers, Graeme

Old 05-14-2016   #47
Ken Ford
Refuses to suffer fools

Welcome to the madhouse, Graeme!

Leica: M-P Typ 240 - M6 - Leicavit M - RapidWinder - Motor M - 21 Super-Elmar - 28 Ultron - 35 Summicron ASPH - 40 Summicron - 75 APO-Summicron ASPH - 75 Summarit-M - 75 Color-Heliar - 90 Elmar-C
Nikon RF: S2 - S3 2000 - 35/2.5 - 50/2 - 50/1.4 Millennium - 105/2.5 - 135/3.4
X-Pro2, X-M1, X100s, NEX-7, dp0 Quattro, N1V1, N1V2, oodles of other stuff

Old 05-14-2016   #48
meeker

I'm a little disappointed Leica didn't take the opportunity to make it thinner without the LCD and I'm still scratching my head as to why it costs more than the standard 262. I realize it would have been more tooling for Leica, but they tool up for other specific digital bodies all the time. Imagine a digital Leica as thin or thinner than the old m6, and without a wheel, which seems to add clutter for not much utility; a USB port under the battery flap to do updates/setup via an app would have been much cleaner. Certainly this feels more like a stripped down m262 than a ground up minimal m.

The standard 262 is still seriously tempting me, btw :-)

My flickr

Old 05-14-2016   #49
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeker View Post
I'm a little disappointed Leica didn't take the opportunity to make it thinner without the LCD and I'm still scratching my head as to why it costs more than the standard 262. I realize it would have been more tooling for Leica, but they tool up for other specific digital bodies all the time. Imagine a digital Leica as thin or thinner than the old m6, and without a wheel, which seems to add clutter for not much utility; a USB port under the battery flap to do updates/setup via an app would have been much cleaner. Certainly this feels more like a stripped down m262 than a ground up minimal m.
The LCD sits outside the back of the body, is barely double the thickness of the leatherette, and weighs about 10 grams. You can't make the body much thinner because of the lens mount/sensor geometry, thickness of the sensor assembly, and the geometry of the rangefinder mechanism. They could change the shape of the body and put the lens mount on a pedestal to thin the sides of the body down, but that would also mean re-engineering the rangefinder, top-cover, a new (thinner) battery, etc, all of which would change the styling and cost a fortune in development.

The M-D262 price is a matter of the costs of development for retooling the body, reworking the firmware, and redesigning the production line balanced against the smaller expected buying audience. The M-D typ 262 is not going to appeal to as large a community of users as the M typ 262 due to its more minimal feature set; Leica is quite aware of that. It's a more specialized camera for those that prefer less. The costs of manufacture plus the additional costs of development weigh in to push the price up in order to have a profitable result for the company.

G

Old 05-14-2016   #50
meeker

Very interesting, thanks. I see making it thinner isn't really an option - as a film M owner I was surprised how chunky the digital Ms felt in comparison, at least in brief handling. I guess it's what you are used to and I suspect I'd adjust with either flavor of 262.

My flickr

Low Funds Here
Old 05-14-2016   #51
Dektol Dan

Low Funds Here

I would buy the MD in heart beat if I had the money, but I would be happy with the 262.

I have a half case for my Monochrom that covers the screen, that way I don't scratch it like the buckle rash found on my guitars.

Who needs the screen viewer anyway? And forever why would a pro need one? I agree that jpegs cut the post process fiddle factor if there are time constraints, but I would never sell an image I created before reviewing it at a larger size, that's what iPads are for.

Old 05-14-2016   #52
Pioneer

I'll wait for the used ones to hit the shelves.

I like my M262 but I still can't remember to charge the darned battery.

It is almost as good as a fast horse!
Dan

Pioneer's Wagon
Old 05-15-2016   #53
Dektol Dan

Pioneer's Wagon

I'm with you! Slide over! That's what the screen is for!

Old 05-15-2016   #54
Godfrey
somewhat colored

It's a little sick because I'd lose my shirt on the deal, but I could actually see trading the M-P for one of these. I like the concept that much!

G

Old 05-15-2016   #55
MCTuomey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme Roy View Post
Anyways, nice to meet you all. Cheers, Graeme
Likewise, Graeme. And congrats on your return to M shooting.

The photographer chances upon a scene that fascinates him. He longs to be a part of it ... recording the scene and including within it his vicarious representative, the participating observer. --- Geoff Dyer

Gear: more than enough, film and digital

My Flickr

Old 05-15-2016   #56
f.hayek

M-D leaves me puzzled. If I were to buy this iteration of M (I'm not), it'd be the 262, the quintessential M. I need video like I need six toes.

Rear LCD? What's the bother? Spares you the wasted afternoon wondering whether the event you just shot is a bust. The part of film days I liked least.

Old 05-15-2016   #57
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

I've always thought that the M-D would be the perfect choice for any aspiring vegan.

Vegan Beer
Old 05-16-2016   #58
Dektol Dan

Vegan Beer

I no longer drink Guiness Stout (my ale of choice for 30+ years). Last November '15 a mad, lost, confused Irishman In Power at Guiness decided to stop using isinglass (sturgeon bladder) to filter left over yeast for the sake of vegan drinkers.

Now the creamy bottom end is harsh bitterness. Please complain as I did. If there are enough complaints maybe we'll get back what was so wonderful for 200 years.

An MD for vegans? Just maybe....

Old 05-16-2016   #59
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dektol Dan View Post
I no longer drink Guiness Stout (my ale of choice for 30+ years). Last November '15 a mad, lost, confused Irishman In Power at Guiness decided to stop using isinglass (sturgeon bladder) to filter left over yeast for the sake of vegan drinkers.

Now the creamy bottom end is harsh bitterness. Please complain as I did. If there are enough complaints maybe we'll get back what was so wonderful for 200 years.

An MD for vegans? Just maybe....
Guess it's time to switch to Murphy's, eh?

Old 05-16-2016   #60
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
It's a little sick because I'd lose my shirt on the deal, but I could actually see trading the M-P for one of these. I like the concept that much!

G
Do it!

Old 05-17-2016   #61
willie_901

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dektol Dan View Post
...And forever why would a pro need one?
Even pros make errors. Clients expect pros to be perfect.

Before digital, pros used Polaroid film backs to confirm things were right and consult with clients. Then they switched to negative/transparency film backs for the keepers.

On some gigs I used a real-time WiFi App to operate the camera and preview images. Clients loved seeing what the camera saw in real time ('Live View'). Some even walked through the scene and rearranged items while viewing the results in real-time on an iPad. This saved everyone a lot of time.

If your skill and experience level makes real-time image review redundant, than I truly admire the high level of competence you have achieved.

williamchuttonjr.com

Old 05-27-2016   #62
Vince Lupo

Red face

Just put a deposit down on one....I have no control. I know, it's sad.

flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/direction-one-inc/sets/

'Mapping the West' - Named as one of the Best Photo Exhibits of 2016 by the Washington City Paper: https://www.flickr.com/photos/direction-one-inc/sets/72157635064297991/

Old 05-29-2016   #63
Ken Ford
Refuses to suffer fools

One thing they could have done with the M-D that would have made it the perfect body for me - if they had included the EVF port from the M240. No LCD but being able to use an EVF for live view only when I wanted it would have been the best of both worlds.

Leica: M-P Typ 240 - M6 - Leicavit M - RapidWinder - Motor M - 21 Super-Elmar - 28 Ultron - 35 Summicron ASPH - 40 Summicron - 75 APO-Summicron ASPH - 75 Summarit-M - 75 Color-Heliar - 90 Elmar-C
Nikon RF: S2 - S3 2000 - 35/2.5 - 50/2 - 50/1.4 Millennium - 105/2.5 - 135/3.4
X-Pro2, X-M1, X100s, NEX-7, dp0 Quattro, N1V1, N1V2, oodles of other stuff

Old 05-30-2016   #64
willie_901

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince Lupo View Post
Congratulations!

williamchuttonjr.com

Old 05-30-2016   #65
Vince Lupo

Quote:
Originally Posted by willie_901 View Post
Congratulations!
Many thanks - we'll see how it goes and I'll report back

'Mapping the West' - Named as one of the Best Photo Exhibits of 2016 by the Washington City Paper: https://www.flickr.com/photos/direction-one-inc/sets/72157635064297991/

Old 05-30-2016   #66
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince Lupo View Post
I look forward to reading about your using it!
I'm very tempted still.

G

Old 05-30-2016   #67
35photo

I use my M9 like a film camera almost every time I go out shooting with it... Why? because looking at that screen while in the street is a distraction, I could miss the next shot.. You have to keep looking, especially when you're on the street, things happen really fast...

Old 06-04-2016   #68
adamjbonn

Hi all,

Lurked for a while, so this might be as well be my first post...

I don't own, or indeed have ever shot with M.

If I was in the market for one, I would very much consider the M-D

It has the "cool" features of the MP (no front branding and engraved top plate)
It has the brass the construction that the 262 "lacks" (if such is important to you)
The has the quieter shutter that the 240 lacks

And most importantly if you can truly live without a LCD and you're happy with that solution.... Then you shouldn't be desperate to upgrade the next time Leica release a new M or current M derivative, because you already have the one that has everything you need...

My 2 pennies worth anyway!
The largest X-Pro1 opinion piece on the 'net! http://adambonn.com/my-love-affair-w...jifilm-x-pro1/

Old 06-04-2016   #69
faris

In a few posts here, I read that the M-D is not for this or that market.

Could someone please explain which market is Leica aiming for with the M-D?

Just curious.

Old 06-04-2016   #70
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
Originally Posted by faris View Post
In a few posts here, I read that the M-D is not for this or that market.

Could someone please explain which market is Leica aiming for with the M-D?

Just curious.
Those who want this kind of camera: a high quality digital camera with the minimum number of differences between it and its film ancestors.

It's a small audience, which is why the M-D typ 262 is a bit more expensive than its M typ 262 sibling.

G

Old 06-04-2016   #71
faris

Thanks Godfrey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
The Apple Camera Connection Kit was never capable of working with iPhones before the iPhone 5 series (it worked fine with iPad 2 and later). I don't trust third party readers, and there's no point to them since the Apple one works so well and is only $29. :-)

G

Old 06-08-2016   #72
Vince Lupo

Mmmmmm-D!

Old 06-08-2016   #73
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Very nice iM-Deed. ;-)

G

Old 06-08-2016   #74
jsrockit

Vince, that's Beautiful ...

Old 06-08-2016   #75
Vince Lupo

I better not fondle it too much -- my wife might get suspicious

Old 06-08-2016   #76
Vince Lupo

Funny but I just took a couple of shots with it, and I reflexively looked at the back of the camera.

Old 06-08-2016   #77
Emile de Leon

It's cool to see that iso dial on the back again..ala M6..!

Old 06-08-2016   #78
Vince Lupo

Only thing I don't like is the darned neckstrap. I'm sorry, but Leica neckstraps of late have been pretty poopie, at least for me. Or maybe I'm just too used to a thin Gordy's

Old 06-08-2016   #79
Vince Lupo

Just have to say that - although I know it really isn't when compared to other digital M's - the body feels thinner. Maybe it's just the absence of buttons and a screen on the back, but it has a nice feel to it. Personally I wouldn't feel the need for the body to be thinner - the camera is really quite beautiful to hold, and ergonomically it seems 'just right' to me.

Maybe after a few weeks I'll write up a separate post on my thoughts about the camera, along with some photos.

BTW this is the first digital Leica I've owned in which I've peeled off the plastic covering on the baseplate

Old 06-08-2016   #80
Vince Lupo

Leica Monochrom 246 instruction book on the left, Leica M-D instruction book on the right. Both German and English are contained within each manual, so divide each in half for the actual size of the instruction manual.