Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > Lomography

Lomography Dedicated to discuss all Lomography Products

50/1.5 Jupiter J-3 LTM back in production at Lomo
Old 01-21-2016   #1
WJJ3

50/1.5 Jupiter J-3 LTM back in production at Lomo

Interesting news from Lomography:

ADMIN EDIT: CameraQuest has the 50/1.5 J3+ IN STOCK

Flickr

Old 01-21-2016   #2
valdas

500 GBP? I pass...

Old 01-21-2016   #3
k__43
Registered Film User

It's a good and interesting lens and focuses now to 0.7!
You get a used Nokton and almost a Zeiss Sonnar-C for that price. Hopefully they get the specs right with this batch .. no shimming required and all

599€ incl. shipping in Germany is ok when you are in for a "new" lens tho
You could get a J3 for less but the pain to find one that is no dog or doesn't need CLA done is worth the difference for some.

Black version for 100€ less and I'd might bite

Old 01-21-2016   #4
Sid836

599€ is way too much for an "Art Lens". "Art Lens" is Lomography's way of defining lenses with low performance. At that price I'd rather get two, or even three real J-3s even if they require shimming. Or even better a Leica lens with more of a character.

k__43, it is not a negligible difference between the copy and the original. You can always get a perfect J-3 from a well reputed seller and in many cases a new old stock one.

Old 01-21-2016   #5
santino
eXpect me

I pass too.. "rich russian heritage" regarding the J3 made me smile... Isn't it a Czj Sonnar knock off

Old 01-21-2016   #6
k__43
Registered Film User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikos72 View Post
599€ is way too much for an "Art Lens". "Art Lens" is Lomography's way of defining lenses with low performance. At that price I'd rather get two, or even three real J-3s even if they require shimming. Or even better a Leica lens with more of a character.

k__43, it is not a negligible difference between the copy and the original. You can always get a perfect J-3 from a well reputed seller and in many cases a new old stock one.

What makes you think it performs other than an original J3?

If it is adjusted to western standards it should even be better than the average original.
A friend of mine shimmed the old one to meet infinity and also had to change the focal width to meet 1m too. back in the days they adjusted the zorki to match the lens and not the lens to match the standard.

One that isn't scratched or so goes at approx. 200€ with import tax and shipping and you probably have to go thru all the stress with shimming etc. (and changing the close focus stop)

Old 01-21-2016   #7
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

That's about what I paid for my used but as new C Sonnar ... I'll also pass thanks!

Old 01-21-2016   #8
k__43
Registered Film User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
That's about what I paid for my used but as new C Sonnar ... I'll also pass thanks!
Yeah I also paid less for my C-Sonnar (it came in a bundle) but this is "new" with warranty and all. Let's see what this will be on the second hand market.
Also a C-Sonnar doesn't focus down to 0.7m.

Old 01-21-2016   #9
mabelsound

Might be tempting if performance has actually been improved. I bet the barkeep will be selling it on CQ and will have a few thoughts...

Old 01-21-2016   #10
fer_fdi

I find it way too expensive... $450 would seem fair to me.
I don't think performance was improved, from the pictures they are displaying.

Old 01-21-2016   #11
raid
Dad Photographer

This is three times what I paid for my last Rigid Summicron after getting it adjusted and cleaned by DAG
I pass.

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...n.php?cid=7007

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 01-21-2016   #12
WJJ3

lot of dissatisfaction with price...

I think this price is fine. I would hope the people building them are making a livable wage.

one point that is not being brought up is that this lens is screw mount, and will mount on a lot more cameras than the M mount lenses people are comparing. You gotta give lomo credit for bringing a new screw mount lens to market

Flickr

Old 01-21-2016   #13
raid
Dad Photographer

I have several J-3 lenses, and I enjoy using them. Most (very clean) J-3 lenses cost these days about $200-$275 on ebay., and there are some Jupiter 3 lenses offered for much less. I don't see any reason for buying a J-3 for $695. I paid less than $600 for a like new CV 50mm 1.1.

Old 01-21-2016   #14
Ronald_H
Don't call me Ron

Let's see how it performs when someone we trust shoots with it.

I don't expect it to be better than my Summicron DR, which I got for 250 Euros (including glasses, front and rear caps and yellow filter) a few years ago That lens finally gave me an idea why Leica people are Leica people.

My Flickr

My regular website: www.lookupinwonder.nl

Old 01-21-2016   #15
zauhar

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJJ3 View Post
lot of dissatisfaction with price...

I think this price is fine. I would hope the people building them are making a livable wage.

one point that is not being brought up is that this lens is screw mount, and will mount on a lot more cameras than the M mount lenses people are comparing. You gotta give lomo credit for bringing a new screw mount lens to market
I very much like the sample images, although I think they are close in character to my Canon 50/1.4, which you can buy for a lot less.

That said, this is a brand new lens - I have no Russian lenses, but the consensus of the RFF crowd seems to be that they are wonderful, if you get a good copy. If these guys have consistent quality control, then I don't see why the price is so much out of line.

Randy
Canon 7/50mm f1.4
Leica IIIf/Summitar/Collapsible Summicron
Yashica Electro 35

Old 01-21-2016   #16
k__43
Registered Film User

another thing that I see is that the lens seems purble/blue not brown/yellow .. is this MC?

also prices on ebay climbed from what I'm seeing now (mostly because of the weak euro for me). a J3 from russia in nice cosmetic condition (no word about accuracy) is at least 250€ +shipping 19% import tax on top means 300€ for a single coated old J3 with non-standard focal width (ask Dante Stella) that might still need shimming.

If they fixed that inherent problem I find 599€ okish .. although I bet that the Lomo-guys keep most of that to themselfs which is a shame.

I know that's no competition to crazy second hand deals many of us made in the last years but this is a from-the-shop brand new lens.

As I said I'm not going to buy one since it's not black mainly and the strong competitors on the second hand market, yet I find it quite compelling

Old 01-21-2016   #17
Sid836

Quote:
Originally Posted by k__43 View Post
Yeah I also paid less for my C-Sonnar (it came in a bundle) but this is "new" with warranty and all. Let's see what this will be on the second hand market.
Also a C-Sonnar doesn't focus down to 0.7m.
Is your rangefinder accurate down to 0.7? If min distance is your stance on this then one could get a macro lens and an SLR for one fifth of the price of that lens.
It has a price not on par with its quality and even its collector's value. It is so ridiculously over priced that not even lompgraphy fans can digest.

Old 01-21-2016   #18
Jan Pedersen

The link does not work so perhaps the Lomo people also realized that the price is out of reality.

Old 01-21-2016   #19
Sid836

Check it out here http://shop.lomography.com/en/jupiter-3-plus

For a whopping 599€ one should expect it to be 100% "The results are phenomenal—expect crystal-clear sharpness, natural colors and a beautiful, dreamy bokeh. Don’t miss out on this premium lens—limited quantities are available on a first-come, first served basis."

But it has been proven that their products are not like that. For optical awesomeness would you trust them? (especially when proven awesomeness comes from others for a lot less). And also since we are speaking of J-3s list me the reasons why one would get the original J-3 and why should one buy this that looks like a J-3 but it's not.

Old 01-21-2016   #20
Roger Hicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikos72 View Post
599€ is way too much for an "Art Lens". . . .
Why?

It's a perfectly reasonable price if it gives you effects you can't get any other way.

On the other hand it's a crazy price if you can get ten good originals for the same money. It's nothing to do with "art lens", though I agree with you about Lomo's definition of the term. It's everything to do with people with more money than knowledge.

Cheers,

R.

Last edited by Roger Hicks : 01-21-2016 at 05:36. Reason: R nor E! (Worn keyboard)

Old 01-21-2016   #21
mabelsound

Just want to push back on the naysaying a little. I like what Lomography is up to. They're moving into more premium optics; the Russar reissue is another example. It seems like they're trying to get away from the "lo-fi" branding and more into "photography with character" and I think that's great. They've now got their "art" lenses and their "experimental" lenses.

Old 01-21-2016   #22
Dante_Stella
Rex canum cattorumque

The price is not crazy for a new lens, but it is if the performance is no better than the 50/1.4 Nikkors, 50/1.5 Canons, and even 50/1.5 ZMs out there. Well, for that price, you could even get a mint Opton Sonnar plus Amedeo's most deluxe adapter. I'm dubious about the rear groups being triple-cemented like the original Sonnars, but if they pull it off competently at that price, cool.

It's a handsome piece, except for having the words "Lomography" and "Art Lens" plastered all over the front ring. Because if you have to keep reminding people that your pictures are "fine art," there is a big possibility you are really just shooting pr0n.

Those sample pictures are not exactly mind-blowing - it looks like the focus just flat-out missed in places (lack of practice by the shooter).

And for the people drooling over multicoating, it's meaningless. I've compared the 1937 uncoated version to the 1961 coated version to the ZM to the Sonnetar - and the coatings (or lack thereof) add nothing in 90% of your cases - the lenses simply have too few air-glass surfaces. Coatings do help in sidelight (the failure mode of the uncoated ones). And when you place a light source incorrectly, you get rainbow circle flare no matter what version you are using. Multicoating will not magically change things, but it is good marketing.

D

Old 01-21-2016   #23
Ko.Fe.
Me. Write ESL. Ko.

Why new lens should cost as some old lens?
How much was LTM 50 1.5 CV, how much is new 50 1.5 VM, or Zeiss or Lux.
If you compare prices of NEW lenses, the J-3 new price is right.
And why it is compared with some old Cron here. The difference between f2 and f1.5 is huge.
Old J-3 has absolutely working, without IQ deterioration (Leica glow) maximum aperture. I assume new one has it as well.
So show me which NEW, working at 1.5 lens I could buy for less than new J-3 price in RF department.

Old 01-21-2016   #24
bobby_novatron
Photon Collector

The links are not working, it says the site is no longer available. Very strange!

This one works:

http://shop.lomography.com/en/jupiter-3-plus

Anyway, I will just keep using my 1960's J-3 ... and save the $600.

Old 01-21-2016   #25
raid
Dad Photographer

I had same experience as bobby.

Old 01-21-2016   #26
Jan Pedersen

This link should work �� http://leicarumors.com/2016/01/21/lo...ens-l39m.aspx/

Old 01-21-2016   #27
brbo

I wonder how many would complain about a price if Nikon decided to do a new production run of Nikkor-S.C 50/1.5 in LTM.

If I didn't have post-WW2 West Zeiss Sonnar 1,5/50 with Amedeo adapter I would be all over this new J-3.

Old 01-21-2016   #28
xayraa33
rangefinder user and fancier

I think this is a great idea. The J-3 is a much loved and very useful fast lens, a lot better and more useful than the resurrected Meyer Trioplan and at half the price.

Old 01-21-2016   #29
uhoh7

Website says 650USD.

Finding a really nice J3 is not that easy, and the good ones are over 200 bucks used. Most come from the former USSR which is a nightmare.

The CV 50/1.5 is 800USD.

Why cry about the price before we have a clue about the build or performance?

If the lens is made in small numbers with good quality control, 650 is not outrageous, contrary to all the posting here.

Old 01-21-2016   #30
Jan Pedersen

After getting access to the link i could see myself jump at one when they become available.
I have a very clean sample from early 53 but have not managed to get it shimmed well enough.
If the new J-3 focus accurately on an M it would like to try one.

Old 01-21-2016   #31
xayraa33
rangefinder user and fancier

The new version is built of chrome plated brass, much better than the old aluminium ones with their stiff old helical grease, and it will not need shimming to match the Leica standard.

Plus you are getting a new lens with a warranty.

Old 01-21-2016   #32
Ko.Fe.
Me. Write ESL. Ko.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhoh7 View Post
...Most come from the former USSR which is a nightmare.

I guess, it really depends where YOU are.

I'm in Canada and shipping from Russia and Ukraine is fast and cheap, with full tracking capabilities. I just have the case resolved last night, they shipped me from Moscow it left and never showed up here until I opened the case and seller contacted Russian Pochta and they contacted Canada Post and my parcel was lost at Canadian side for 30+ days and now it is one the move to me.

While ebay shipping from USA is often expensive and shipping is very slow. Like ridiculously slow. Plus this USA ebay scam with shipping costs abroad. Third world practice, really.

Old 01-21-2016   #33
padam

Imho they should maker a cheaper, lighter black version.
Possibly one for the e-mount that focuses closer and no rangefinder coupling.

But I guess they've figured out this is the best option, economy-wise.

Old 01-21-2016   #34
David Hughes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko.Fe. View Post
I guess, it really depends where YOU are.

I'm in Canada and shipping from Russia and Ukraine is fast and cheap, with full tracking capabilities. I just have the case resolved last night, they shipped me from Moscow it left and never showed up here until I opened the case and seller contacted Russian Pochta and they contacted Canada Post and my parcel was lost at Canadian side for 30+ days and now it is one the move to me.

While ebay shipping from USA is often expensive and shipping is very slow. Like ridiculously slow. Plus this USA ebay scam with shipping costs abroad. Third world practice, really.
Hi,

I'll second that and add that I've had an excellent service and splendid bargains from all but one (many years ago and long gone) of the Russian sellers. And they don't do the dreadful flat rate box trick that a lot of USA sellers try for even an instruction manual.

Regards, David

Last edited by David Hughes : 01-21-2016 at 08:35. Reason: Finger trouble...

Old 01-21-2016   #35
BLKRCAT
99% Film

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko.Fe. View Post
Why new lens should cost as some old lens?
How much was LTM 50 1.5 CV, how much is new 50 1.5 VM, or Zeiss or Lux.
If you compare prices of NEW lenses, the J-3 new price is right.
And why it is compared with some old Cron here. The difference between f2 and f1.5 is huge.
Old J-3 has absolutely working, without IQ deterioration (Leica glow) maximum aperture. I assume new one has it as well.
So show me which NEW, working at 1.5 lens I could buy for less than new J-3 price in RF department.
Agreed.

Why people compare new lens price to used gear is beyond me but nothing new with lomo. This is what to expect when you are one of the few companies actually making new gear in 2016.

Also keep in mind that this new lens would come with a warranty. Something that should be considered of value when buying russian/lomo.

Old 01-21-2016   #36
Dante_Stella
Rex canum cattorumque

Quote:
Originally Posted by brbo View Post
If I didn't have post-WW2 West Zeiss Sonnar 1,5/50 with Amedeo adapter I would be all over this new J-3.
I have one of those configurations too, and it is probably the best of all of the [let's not say how many] Sonnar types I currently own.

The workmanship on the Opton (later Carl Zeiss) western lenses is jewel-like, right down to the aperture blades. These lenses make 1950s Leica lenses look like Soviet tractors. And with the new Amedeo helicoid adapters (with the lever), you can now focus down to 0.6 (and quite accurately...).

Dante

Old 01-21-2016   #37
tbhv55

Quote:

Well said!

Quote:
Well said again!

Old 01-21-2016   #38
Huss

wow this is fantastic and competes with all the other brand new LTM lenses from the other mfgs.
Oh wait, noone else makes one.
How dare Lomo sell a new warranteed LTM lens (w M adapter) for much less money than anyone else's NEW LTM or M mount lens of equivalent speed.

Old 01-21-2016   #39
bobby_novatron
Photon Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante_Stella View Post
The workmanship on the Opton (later Carl Zeiss) western lenses is jewel-like, right down to the aperture blades. These lenses make 1950s Leica lenses look like Soviet tractors. And with the new Amedeo helicoid adapters (with the lever), you can now focus down to 0.6 (and quite accurately...).

Dante
+1 on the Opton, that's a great lens.

Old 01-21-2016   #40
raid
Dad Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante_Stella View Post
I have one of those configurations too, and it is probably the best of all of the [let's not say how many] Sonnar types I currently own.

Dante
This is a strong point, Dante. I have one "Opton" lens, and I have Amedeo's old adapter and not the one with the lever.