Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Sony Alpha 7 / NEX Mirrorless > Techart Autofocus Adapter

Techart Autofocus Adapter All about the Techart Autofocus Leica M to Sony Adapter.

Techchart AF adapter for M-mount
Old 01-07-2016   #1
YYV_146

Techchart AF adapter for M-mount

Yes, the title is spelled correctly...

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/hot-w...focus-adapter/

More information (Chinese):
http://forum.xitek.com/thread-1535183-1-1-2.html

Notes (from xitek, the SAR translations have a few errors):

1. Requires PDAF E-mount bodies (A7, A7II, A7rII, A7SII, A6000). Works best with the A7rII and A7II
2. Maximum lens weight is 1kg if you hold the lens. Maximum weight without hand-holding is 300g
3. Comes with an app for lens information in EXIF - although I'm not sure how they deal with aperture
4. Supports tracking (but presumably no eye AF)

Sony A7rII Kolari mod

Noctilux ASPH, 35lux FLE, 50 APO ASPH, 75 APO cron, 21lux, Sony/Minolta 135mm STF

500px

Old 01-07-2016   #2
Corran

How silly.

Probably can't focus through the whole range for longer lenses. It says 4.5mm travel, so you could figure out the focus range for a given lens based on that. Of course you can focus closer manually and let it do the final adjustments.

Worse, if you've got a newer lens with elements that move independently based on focus distance to maximize performance, this throws that all out the window.

Well, whatever floats peoples boats I guess.

Old 01-07-2016   #3
YYV_146

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corran View Post
How silly.

Probably can't focus through the whole range for longer lenses. It says 4.5mm travel, so you could figure out the focus range for a given lens based on that. Of course you can focus closer manually and let it do the final adjustments.

Worse, if you've got a newer lens with elements that move independently based on focus distance to maximize performance, this throws that all out the window.

Well, whatever floats peoples boats I guess.
Right, but how many M mount lenses (of all brands) are FLE? Most still use traditional focus methods. As for the focus range, some rough calculations suggest that most lenses can get auto between 2m and close to infinity - which is sufficient for, say, street photography.

I know I'll get one. I use AF occasionally - and this would allow me to sell some of my E-mount lenses.

Sony A7rII Kolari mod

Noctilux ASPH, 35lux FLE, 50 APO ASPH, 75 APO cron, 21lux, Sony/Minolta 135mm STF

500px

Old 01-07-2016   #4
CK Dexter Haven

Silly? Pretty freakin fantastic.
If they can develop it so that it's accurate, and then quick, it might push me into the Sony from the 5D range. An autofocus Jupiter-3! Noctilux AF.... If it focuses as quickly as something like a Contax G2, I'm in.

Old 01-07-2016   #5
ferider

4.5mm travel means 60cm min. focus for a 50mm lens, and even shorter for a wider lens.

That's pretty cool. Might have to get an A7* as second M body after all ....

Roland.

PS: even a 75mm should focus down to 1.3m, a 90 down to 1.9m.

Old 01-07-2016   #6
f16sunshine

Man that's cool!

Old 01-07-2016   #7
YYV_146

Quote:
Originally Posted by CK Dexter Haven View Post
Silly? Pretty freakin fantastic.
If they can develop it so that it's accurate, and then quick, it might push me into the Sony from the 5D range. An autofocus Jupiter-3! Noctilux AF.... If it focuses as quickly as something like a Contax G2, I'm in.
Accuracy won't be an issue - the focus is on-sensor, so it will be as accurate as native E-mount lenses with PDAF. Speed is probably going to be an issue, though...and the designer mentioned that battery life may drop sharply with heavy lenses.

Still fascinating, of course.

Sony A7rII Kolari mod

500px

Old 01-08-2016   #8
Harry Caul

The idea of using z-shift sensor movement to autofocus manual lenses has been discussed many times in the past. So I guess I'm surprised this thread doesn't have a million posts by now!

To me this would be most interesting if they had a limited movement range "focus refine" setting. Meaning you pre focus to get close, then this adapter uses the camera face/eye detect to nail it.

Regardless, this is a pretty cool product!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEwpHChOkC0

Old 01-08-2016   #9
dcsang
Canadian & Not A Dentist

This should be pretty interesting... may be completely useless or something that will be ultimately very useful. Time will tell once it's tested

Cheers,
Dave

I have an idea what I'm looking for but it only becomes real once I see it - Constantine Manos

ITS THE MAGIC I SEE IN THE Light, Texture, & Tone
that Intoxicates Me - Helen Hill

My Flickr - it's where I post my RF and P&S shtuff

Old 01-08-2016   #10
sevo
Fokutorendaburando

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYV_146 View Post
1. Requires PDAF E-mount bodies
The adapter cannot avoid hunting for focus, as it can neither know the focal length of the mounted lens, nor whether its own helical is set to some offset. What benefit is there in limiting the adapter to PDAF?

Old 01-08-2016   #11
YYV_146

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevo View Post
The adapter cannot avoid hunting for focus, as it can neither know the focal length of the mounted lens, nor whether its own helical is set to some offset. What benefit is there in limiting the adapter to PDAF?
I couldn't find any information about that from the original post. Maybe it's just software issues that will be worked out in the final product.

To be specific, the designer mentions that AF might not work "properly" with non-PDAF bodies. Perhaps the adapter takes advantage of the dual AF of the newer E-mount cameras, and relies on both to function...but may also work slowly with CDAF?

Sony A7rII Kolari mod

500px

Old 01-08-2016   #12
YYV_146

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Caul View Post
The idea of using z-shift sensor movement to autofocus manual lenses has been discussed many times in the past. So I guess I'm surprised this thread doesn't have a million posts by now!

To me this would be most interesting if they had a limited movement range "focus refine" setting. Meaning you pre focus to get close, then this adapter uses the camera face/eye detect to nail it.

Regardless, this is a pretty cool product!
Eye AF is limited to native lenses on A7 series cameras - this is well documented and with no apparent work-around. Face detection should work - I've used face detection with adapted AF Canon lenses.

Sony A7rII Kolari mod

500px

Old 01-08-2016   #13
Pherdinand
the snow must go on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Caul View Post

isn't that the idea anyway? You still have the focus helical on that lens so you CAN also manual-focus -maybe not in the correct range but within SOME range-

Old 01-08-2016   #14
MIkhail

Can I get that in M mount?
/sarcazm.

Old 01-08-2016   #15
Harry Caul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pherdinand View Post
isn't that the idea anyway? You still have the focus helical on that lens so you CAN also manual-focus -maybe not in the correct range but within SOME range-
From my understanding the focus range would be quite large for something like a 35 or 50mm lens. I just wouldn't want to get close to perfect focus manually and then have it hunt all over the range when I hit the shutter.

Old 01-08-2016   #16
Pherdinand
the snow must go on

im not sure how the focusing mechanism on these cameras work. Does it see that from a defocused image the movement is in the "wrong" direction (i.e. if it gets even more defocused he will switch direction immediately) or does it need to hit the end stop before it reverses?

What other issue i see here is the manual aperture. If you close down the aperture the focus speed/accuracy/chance will also degrade a lot.

Old 01-08-2016   #17
MikeL
Go Fish

Quote:
What other issue i see here is the manual aperture. If you close down the aperture the focus speed/accuracy/chance will also degrade a lot.
yeah, FLE shouldn't matter since it is working off the sensor and not changing the aperture. But it seems like accuracy would get squishier with stopping down. But maybe it wouldn't matter if it gets you in the range of acceptible sharpness.

Old 01-08-2016   #18
YYV_146

Quote:
im not sure how the focusing mechanism on these cameras work. Does it see that from a defocused image the movement is in the "wrong" direction (i.e. if it gets even more defocused he will switch direction immediately) or does it need to hit the end stop before it reverses?

That's basically how CDAF works. If the A7S native lens CDAF is any indication, it will hunt in low light but when the light is good lock-on is achieved fairly quickly. The advantage is that focus is very accurate, but usually not as fast as PDAF.

Sony A7rII Kolari mod

500px

Old 01-08-2016   #19
bmattock

Interesting. Reminds me of the old SMC Pentax-F 1.7x AF Adapter, which supposedly permitted non-AF Pentax lenses to autofocus on Pentax AF bodies. With, however, the 1.7 multiplier and loss of lens speed. Seems like this works in a similar fashion, only without glass in-between, taking advantage of the space available with the Sony 7. Cool.

Old 01-08-2016   #20
splitimageview

The Techart adapter for Contax G lenses works very well. The 45/2 and 90/2.8 on an A7R-II feels native-fast...

The entire mass of a G lens is not being moved, however...

I weighed a 50/2 Summitar (209 grams.) A 40/2 M-Rokkor or Summicron-C would be good options at about 125g.

I'm not sure what the 1kg reference means, "if you hold the lens." How is that supposed to work?

Old 01-08-2016   #21
CK Dexter Haven

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkhail View Post
Can I get that in M mount?
/sarcazm.
HAHAHAHAHAA!!
I don't get it.....

Old 01-20-2016   #22
kyte

I mistakenly posted info in a new thread when I should have posted this one. now corrected. Other thread deleted....

I found these youtube videos of a "Techart AFM" M to EF adapter being tested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAadGCEwbVI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Yl-UgqmmNw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96TJIfTyazg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-dGdRf8NiY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5wImaixMow

I have no connection with this company.

Old 02-10-2016   #23
splitimageview

apparently they beefed up the motor with more torque, to handle heavier lenses (700g)
looks pretty quick with a light one:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=17nPM6D5aeA

Old 04-16-2016   #24
splitimageview

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/foru...d.php?t=155498