Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Digital Cameras > CSC : Digital Compact System Cameras -

CSC : Digital Compact System Cameras - This new category of digital Compact System Cameras with interchangeable lenses was mislabeled for a time as "Mirrorless Cameras" by those forgetting about "Mirrorless" Rangefinder cameras.  Such confusion is easily understandable, since interchangeable rangefinder cameras were only recently introduced in 1932.  hmm.    CSC or Compact System Camera is probably the best category description to date, although I am fond of the old RFF desigation of  CEVIL  indicating Compact Electronic Viewfidner Interchangeable Lens.   This forum is here at RFF because via adapters these cameras offer an inexpensive way to use rangefinder lenses on digital cameras -- in addition of just about every 35mm SLR lens you can think of.  All  offer the photo enthusiast an incredible array of adopted lenses which was not possible before these new digital formats.   This group continues to grow in popularity and new camera models! 

Would u believe Canon gonna get serious on mirrorless?
Old 09-17-2015   #1
GaryLH

Would u believe Canon gonna get serious on mirrorless?

http://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/masa...d-really-like/

Hopefully something w/ a good evf..this time....

Of course.. I hope Nikon follows suite..

Gary

Old 09-17-2015   #2
back alley
IMAGES

if they can keep the body & lenses small and make the camera more user friendly and capable they could have a winner.
i miss my little m1 and those excellent small lenses.

xt 20/xe 2/xe 1
16/23/23/27/35/50/56/55-200

Old 09-17-2015   #3
Kate-the-Great

Quote:
Masaya Maeda (Canon) says: “we will come out with a mirrorless camera that you would really like”.
We'll see about that. It could be very easy for them to break the entire system by making the M4 too large- I fear they're going to try and copy the SLR form factor and build something that's barely smaller than the Rebel SL1. The biggest strength of the M1 was it's tiny size- if they could make an M4 that's roughly the same dimensions, just a little taller to accomidate a built-in EVF, they'd have a winner I think.
Fuji X-E1 ~ Canon Serenar 28mm f/3.5
Canon 5D "Classic" ~ Canon 40mm f/2.8
And various lenses...
Nikkor-S 35mm 2.8 ~ Nikkor-S 50mm 1.4 ~ Micro-Nikkor 55mm 3.5 ~ Zoom-Nikkor 43-86mm 3.5 ~ Industar-61 53mm 2.8

Old 09-17-2015   #4
GaryLH

The Sony a6000, Panasonic GM5, LX100, and Fuji xe2 are examples of the form factors that I would hope a Canon Mirrorless w/ evf will have..

Gary

Old 09-17-2015   #5
Godfrey
somewhat colored

I hope they do something good, even if I know I will not be interested in acquiring one. I'm pretty set with my Leica, Nikon, and Olympus gear.

G

Old 09-17-2015   #6
CameraQuest
Head Bartender

If Canon indeed makes a big good splash in the mirrrorless wars,
Nikon can't be far behind.

Old 09-17-2015   #7
GaryLH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
I hope they do something good, even if I know I will not be interested in acquiring one. I'm pretty set with my Leica, Nikon, and Olympus gear.

G
Same here..in terms of the gear I have. Just waiting for a sale on Sigma dp0 and seeing what happens w/ the next gen x-pro from Fuji.

As a gear head...I like to keep track of what others are doing..

Gary

Old 09-17-2015   #8
aizan

who wants to bet that it'll be generally unimpressive?

Old 09-17-2015   #9
DougFord
on the good foot

'More effort' presumably means a bigger budget. Their top engineers with the funds and the technological resources to get the job done? Or just a slight increase in budget combined with a cynical attitude to a market segment that deserves little respect.
It would be cool if Canon could meet or exceed the responsiveness found in current designs of Sony/Panasonic/Olympus mirrorless cameras.

the walk

Old 09-17-2015   #10
uhoh7

Quote:
Originally Posted by aizan View Post
who wants to bet that it'll be generally unimpressive?
around here that bar is high LOL

To impress the RF crowd, it will have to be FF, smaller than Sony A7, and shoot M lenses like a 240.

Oh yeah, and cost less than a grand

Old 09-17-2015   #11
GaryLH

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhoh7 View Post
around here that bar is high LOL

To impress the RF crowd, it will have to be FF, smaller than Sony A7, and shoot M lenses like a 240.

Oh yeah, and cost less than a grand
Lol

U forgot it must be drf, not even something like the ovf/evf of the Fuji xp1 will do.

Gary

Old 09-17-2015   #12
uhoh7

I stumbled across this:

Old 09-17-2015   #13
gavinlg

Canon could easily do it if they didn't want to sabotage their SLR line. The issue is that they are too proud as a company. It would need to be full frame at this point to pull people away from their sony A's, Fuji x's and Olympus E's.

Old 09-18-2015   #14
lynnb

I agree with Gavin they probably wouldn't want to sabotage DSLR sales. I think a professional grade APS-C is far more likely as it would give an alternative high end mirrorless body for buyers of the 7DII.

My private wish is they release a pro mirrorless body in APS-H. This way they could use the 120Mp APS-H sensor they developed in 2010. The APS-H would be a better compromise for FF lens owners but would also enable a more compact range of lenses to be developed. Canon's FF lenses mostly aren't small enough to mount comfortably on a small mirrorless body, with a few exceptions like the EF40mm f2.8 STM pancake (a bargain of a lens, and quite small).

However this is very unlikely given that would mean 3 separate lens lines. So my money is on APS-C. In that case I hope they produce a range of compact primes for an APS-C mirrorless.

Old 09-18-2015   #15
nongfuspring

I think they'd be better off making a compact FF DSLR, the main disadvantage for DSLRs has always been size. The lenses are there already and so are the consumers.

Old 09-18-2015   #16
lynnb

Quote:
Originally Posted by nongfuspring View Post
I think they'd be better off making a compact FF DSLR, the main disadvantage for DSLRs has always been size. The lenses are there already and so are the consumers.
I've recently bought a 6D; it's surprisingly compact. Not A7II compact, but still pretty good for a FF SLR.

Old 09-18-2015   #17
jsrockit

I've gone the opposite way now and prefer the larger size of DSLRs. If I'm going to have to use larger lenses (which you pretty much have to unless you are using m4/3 or Leica), then I might as well have a body size that is proportional.

Old 09-18-2015   #18
nongfuspring

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnb View Post
I've recently bought a 6D; it's surprisingly compact. Not A7II compact, but still pretty good for a FF SLR.
The issue is that DSLRs are being measured up against mirrorless now, not just other SLRs. The A7r II has shown that many of the areas where DSLRs traditionally had an advantage have been narrowed considerably if not negated entirely, so that extra bulk is making less sense as a tradeoff. Canon really needs to do something like what Olympus did with the OM1 if they're to stay competitive against the likes of Sony.

Old 09-18-2015   #19
fireblade
Vincenzo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnb View Post
Yes, very tempting, JB's has them for 1699 less the 300 cashback.
1399 for FF....i really don't want to walk into a JB store.

"No place is boring, if you've had a good night's sleep and have a pocket full of unexposed film."

Old 09-18-2015   #20
froyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
I've gone the opposite way now and prefer the larger size of DSLRs. If I'm going to have to use larger lenses (which you pretty much have to unless you are using m4/3 or Leica), then I might as well have a body size that is proportional.
I agree with you, tiny body and large lenses look awkawrd to handle (though I admit, I never tried).

Lens size is the reason I value rangefinders. There are SLR bodies not much bigger than Ms, but once you add a couple typical lenses, the size difference because pretty obvious.

Having a small camera body is certainly not enough for me. I liketo consider tthe system as a whole and many digital mirrorless cameras have either SLR-sized lenses or small pancakes with no distance scales or DOF markings. The one good thing I can say about those systems is that they are typically light.

Old 10-13-2015   #21
sevo
Fokutorendaburando

Well, so much for Canon getting serious - the M10 is a cut (or two) below the M3: http://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/ca..._-Announcement

Given that, Nikon won't have much motivation to come out of their closet anywhere soon either, as Canon is the only competitor they seem to regard as such...

Old 10-13-2015   #22
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by nongfuspring View Post
The issue is that DSLRs are being measured up against mirrorless now, not just other SLRs. The A7r II has shown that many of the areas where DSLRs traditionally had an advantage have been narrowed considerably if not negated entirely, so that extra bulk is making less sense as a tradeoff.
Negated entirely in what way?

Old 10-13-2015   #23
Sarcophilus Harrisii
Brett Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhoh7 View Post
I stumbled across this:
If the Sogno was any good, it must partly have been because its electrical system wasn't Italian. It didn't have one. I loved my Ducatis more than most, but regularly gave thanks for the fact that by the late 1970s, the electrical bits that really mattered were designed by Germans. It saved many a push. If this ever transpired, I'm not at all certain it would be a camera to take out in the rain. Or, even if rain was forecast...

Old 10-13-2015   #24
Hsg
who dares wins

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/268...1-inch-sensors

Old 10-13-2015   #25
jsrockit

That's not the camera they are talking about...

Old 10-13-2015   #26
BlackXList

If the 22mm lens wasn't so damn glacial to focus I'd be quite happy with the original M.

That G5X looks ridiculous that knob on the front right where my finger would be is an instant no.