Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Leicas and other Leica Mount Cameras > Leica M10, 240 family, M-P, M60

Help! M 240 LiveView Stopped Working. Any suggestions?
Old 09-12-2015   #1
bobby_novatron
Photon Collector

Help! M 240 LiveView Stopped Working. Any suggestions?

Background: I use Live View to check critical focus about 70% of the time. I've always found it easy to use, never any problems.

I was out shooting this afternoon using Live View, same as always. I did a couple lens-swaps during my walkabout, but no issues. The camera worked fine.

I packed up the camera for a family function with a single lens, and drove to the function.

When I got to my aunt's house, I got out the camera to take some photos. When I tried to use Live View, I could hear the shutter 'click' but the screen turned black. No Live View on the rear screen.

I shot the rest of the function using just the rangefinder -- and fortunately the camera behaved itself and I got some decent images. Playback worked fine. Every function on the camera seemed to work fine -- except Live View.

I've searched online for others with a similar problem but couldn't find any relevant info. Here's what I've tried so far:

1. Swapped batteries. No effect.
2. Reset camera to factory settings. Nothing.
3. Double-checked that the LiveView button isn't jammed or malfunctioning.
4. Tried mounting multiple lenses. No effect.
5. Dove into the menu system to make sure Live View wasn't disabled.
6. Tried to engage SENSOR CLEANING -- with no lens mounted, I can visually watch the shutter open and close. The shutter opens for a fraction of a second then stays shut. So whatever is affecting LiveView is also affecting the SENSOR CLEANING function.

The installed firmware is the latest one 2.0.2.5, I don't know if that has anything to do with it.

If anyone has any input, I'd appreciate some help. Otherwise it looks like I might be in for an expensive repair to Leica NJ.

Old 09-12-2015   #2
Dante_Stella
Rex canum cattorumque

Have you upgraded the firmware? It might be a software glitch.

D

Old 09-12-2015   #3
bobby_novatron
Photon Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante_Stella View Post
Have you upgraded the firmware? It might be a software glitch.

D
Is there a later version than 2.0.2.5 that I don't know about?

Old 09-12-2015   #4
jaapv
RFF Sponsoring Member.

I don't think this is anything to do with software/SD cards/batteries as this is a problem that has not been reported in the forums before. I think that you need to send the camera in. Look at the upside: it will be adjusted properly so you won't have to check critical focus by liveview any more afterwards.

jaapvphotography

Old 09-14-2015   #5
LCT

How did you set "Light Metering Mode"?

Old 11-16-2015   #6
Manuel Patino

I don't know if this will work in your case, but I have experienced the DVF (I have the Olympus brand unit) go black and not come back on after trying many different things. However, I found one thing that made it come back on. It was cycling the "info" button while on picture taking mode... Maybe this will work for you?

Old 11-16-2015   #7
bobby_novatron
Photon Collector

Thanks for the tip, I ended up sending the camera in to Leica NJ, they're taking a look at my camera at the moment.

The problem seemed to be intermittent, I could never get it to occur with any regularity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I don't know if this will work in your case, but I have experienced the DVF (I have the Olympus brand unit) go black and not come back on after trying many different things. However, I found one thing that made it come back on. It was cycling the "info" button while on picture taking mode... Maybe this will work for you?

Old 10-19-2016   #8
JHutchins

Was this ever resolved? Anyone else have this problem and fix it without sending it in? The live view on my M240 just stopped working (no, metering is not set to classic mode/live view disabled) -- wondering whether I can fix it (I expect not) and what the damage will be when I send it in.