Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Photography General Interest

Photography General Interest Neat Photo stuff NOT particularly about Rangefinders.

Old 01-08-2012   #41
healyzh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Riches View Post
Don Chatterson in Seattle Wash. He really knew the Leica .
Camera world the old one in downtown Portland Or.
The old Citizens on 7th in Portland Or
Is that the Citizen's before they moved around the block to where they are now? I made it in there once before they moved.

Personally I really miss Suburban Photo in Beaverton, Oregon. Three generations of my family considered that to be our main store to go to. It closed because the owner wanted to retire.

I'm really surprised that the store my Grandparents took me to in the mid-80's, when I bought my first camera (a Nikon FM2, that I still use) is still around. About three years ago, I bought my first Hasselblad and my first Rangefinder in there.

My fflickr photostream

My Zane's Photography website

Old 01-08-2012   #42
hendriphile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post
Here's a shot of a Canon demo taken at Adray Photo back in 1974 (or so). I do remember that the pic was taken with a just-introduced FD 24mm F1.4 lens wide-open at F1.4, on my FTb. Talk about a trip down memory lane.

Jim B
OMG that polyester plaid coat! Those polyester shirts! Those polyester ties! Brings back the bad old days

My contribution below is Backyard Photography, THE brick n' mortar store in Yuma, AZ, which closed in 2010 (M3, Summaron f2.8 wide open, 1/8 sec at night), RIP

Old 01-08-2012   #43
Mike Riches

[quote=healyzh;1783649]Is that the Citizen's before they moved around the block to where they are now? I made it in there once before they moved.

Personally I really miss Suburban Photo in Beaverton, Oregon. Three generations of my family considered that to be our main store to go to. It closed because the owner wanted to retire.

I'm really surprised that the store my Grandparents took me to in the mid-80's, when I bought my first camera (a Nikon FM2, that I still use) is still around. About three years ago, I bought my first Hasselblad and my first Rangefinder in there.[/QUOTE

Old 01-08-2012   #44
Mike Riches

Yes thats the one , sad to see them downsize and move .Lots of photo togs had lots of good time there .
Suburban was good to . I didn't go there much , did buy my Gitzo there , I still use it .
There always Blue Moon .

Old 01-09-2012   #45
Mackinaw
Think Different

Well, maybe not an old camera store, but here's a shot my Dad took back in 1933 at the camera counter in Hudson's department store in Detroit. Back in those days, Hudson's was in the same class as New York's Macy's and Chicago's Marshall Fields. Note the folders and movie cameras.

Jim B.

http://snowcountryphotography.com

My RFF Gallery:

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/phot...user=1453&sl=m

Old 01-09-2012   #46
rover

I remember when I was growing up and first started developing film and first had darkroom equipment we got all of our supplies at a department store, Caldor.

Caldor is long gone, and discontinued their photography department prior to closing it's stores, but way back around 1980 they had a full department with chemicals, equipment, everything you could imagine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caldor

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...23/ai_3212502/

Millennium M6TTL with Voigtlander 35/1.2 Nokton

rover's world at flickr

Old 01-09-2012   #47
bob338

Oak Park Camera-- Oak Park, Il. One of the first camera stores I bought anything from. Pretty nice staff, huge selection(for a teenager, at least,) priced pretty reasonably.

Kenmore Camera-- San Diego, CA. This was a very strange store over by the old Arena. You could spend an hour digging through the crap piled up in this place. Once in a while, I found something pretty cool. Weird hours, though. The old man who owned the place was a character, you never knew what was gonna come out of his mouth!

There was a cool store in Hollywood, somewhere off the Boulevard, that was fun to look around in. I think it was Lloyd's or Morgan Cameras or something like that. I haven't been in years, but I'm pretty sure it's closed. They had tons of old displays and cameras everywhere, not because they were necessarily cool, but because they just hadn't moved anything around in 30 years.

Wish I could remember all the cool camera stores we used to stop in while on tour. We seemed to find somewhere to buy film or lenses in every city we stopped in.

Bob

Old 01-09-2012   #48
oftheherd

Wow Makinaw! What a neat photo. I did note the folders. And imagine, they were all new!

Old 01-09-2012   #49
Livesteamer

Trendon Photo in Libertyville Illinois. A tiny store but in 1971 I was fifteen, saving for a Nikormat and they hired me part time to clean the store. Mostly mopping and emptying the trash, washing windows. After about a month there they handed me a soft paint brush and told me to go dust the Leica's so that's where I handled my first Leica.

Later they sold me a used Nikon S with four Nikon cassettes for $100, my first rangefinder and I put a lot of film thru those cassettes in my F.

Thanks for the experience. Had my first beer there too!

Joe

Old 01-09-2012   #50
Livesteamer

Jim Kuehl was not a store but a dealer in Iowa. In 2001 and 2002 I had some disposable income and bought a bunch of Leica M stuff from him both new and used. The first item was a used Noctilux for $1,500 that he charged on my credit card. The next month I ordered a Tri Elmar and was about to give him my credit card number when he said "Let me just send it to you and if you like it send me a check to cover the invoice." And he did. I bought two Leica M's and several new lenses that way.

A wonderful Gentleman to deal with. Thank You Jim Kuehl.

Joe

Old 01-09-2012   #51
Speedfreak
-

Quote:
Here's a shot of a Canon demo taken at Adray Photo back in 1974 (or so). I do remember that the pic was taken with a just-introduced FD 24mm F1.4 lens wide-open at F1.4, on my FTb. Talk about a trip down memory lane.

Jim B
Is that a younger Tom A in the center?

Old 01-09-2012   #52
Travis L.
Registered Userino

I'll second Jim Kuehl. I bought my first 35 Summicron from him, and lots of other stuff over the years. What a great guy.

I can still hear him answer the phone... Jiiiimmmm Kuehl.

Old 01-09-2012   #53
Paulbe

I agree--Jim Kuehl was great.
What happened to him? He was SO nice!
And Don Chatterton--is he still around?
His Shutterbug ads had many listings that said "just back from DAG..."
Never knew what that meant until a few years ago...

Old 01-09-2012   #54
bobkonos

Optechs in Seattle. Opened around 1981 by a couple (he worked at Boeing as I did). Small store on the fourth floor of a cool office building downtown. saw my first Nikon rangefinder there, a chrome dial S2 with 50mm 1.4. Clyeds and a small shop on Aurora near our house were also my haunts then, 1979-1983.

My b&w Flickr

My color Flickr

Mechanical cameras and lenses

Old 01-09-2012   #55
bobkonos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulbe View Post
Don is still around. Lives on Fox Island WA. No longer dealing in Leica, but I visited him a lot when we lived in Seattle, 1979-1983. His living room was Leica central.

My b&w Flickr

My color Flickr

Old 01-09-2012   #56
bobkonos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulbe View Post
As for Jim Keuhl, I just found several listed in Yellow Pages for Iowa. Start dialing and good luck.

My b&w Flickr

My color Flickr

Old 01-09-2012   #57
bobkonos

Just thought of one more: A Photographer's Source, which carried photography books and had a monthly ad in Shutterbug Ads. Remember them? One owner's name was Harvey____. I ordered a lot of great Hove Leica books from them, as well as others. The best source at the time (1980s) for photography books.

My b&w Flickr

My color Flickr

Old 01-10-2012   #58
JoeV
Thin Air, Bright Sun

Camera Works, in Albuquerque's university district, was the best camera store in town, staffed and owned by real photo enthusiasts, and catered to everyone from the professional with digital SLR to hobbyist with B/W darkroom to the Holga-wielding film students at UNM.

Alas, it's been gone now for a few years, and I still miss it.

-Joe

Inventor of the Light Pipe Array
My Blog
My latest book

Old 01-10-2012   #59
Vince Lupo

Gallery Cameras on Yonge St. in Toronto. The premier Leica dealer in T.O, and in had the most 'un-camera-like' atmosphere -- low lighting, jazz music in the background, coffee always hot (and in real mugs), and on Saturdays they'd have trays of baked goodies. Keith Matson, Chris Stone and John Thompson were the best, and I miss that store dearly.

flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/direction-one-inc/sets/

'Mapping the West' - Named as one of the Best Photo Exhibits of 2016 by the Washington City Paper: https://www.flickr.com/photos/direction-one-inc/sets/72157635064297991/

Old 01-10-2012   #60
newsgrunt

Yep, Keith went on to eventually work for Leica but lost track of him after he left New Jersey.

Old 01-10-2012   #61
Vince Lupo

And Chris went to work for Lisle-Kelco...don't know where John went.

flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/direction-one-inc/sets/

'Mapping the West' - Named as one of the Best Photo Exhibits of 2016 by the Washington City Paper: https://www.flickr.com/photos/direction-one-inc/sets/72157635064297991/

Old 01-10-2012   #62
Pablito
coco frío

All the NYC places, but also a little hole in the wall on 6th Ave called Photobug run by a family well connected to the photo industry. A few glass cases of really nice used stuff.

Old 01-10-2012   #63
newsgrunt

Keith and Chris both worked for Lisle Kelco iirc. We know how this turned out.

Old 01-10-2012   #64
zauhar

Quote:
Well, maybe not an old camera store, but here's a shot my Dad took back in 1933 at the camera counter in Hudson's department store in Detroit. Back in those days, Hudson's was in the same class as New York's Macy's and Chicago's Marshall Fields. Note the folders and movie cameras.

Jim B.
Dear God - my Mother (may she rest in peace) worked at that store!

THANKS for posting that!

Randy
Canon 7/50mm f1.4
Leica IIIf/Summitar/Collapsible Summicron
Yashica Electro 35

Old 05-01-2012   #65
zpuskas

Quote:
Jim Kuehl was not a store but a dealer in Iowa. In 2001 and 2002 I had some disposable income and bought a bunch of Leica M stuff from him both new and used. The first item was a used Noctilux for $1,500 that he charged on my credit card. The next month I ordered a Tri Elmar and was about to give him my credit card number when he said "Let me just send it to you and if you like it send me a check to cover the invoice." And he did. I bought two Leica M's and several new lenses that way.
I bought my M6 and a used 35mm Summilux lens from Jim around the same time. Bought a Summilux about 8 months later. Very good person to deal with; honest.

Old 05-01-2012   #66
julianphotoart
No likey digital-phooey

In Toronto: ALT CAMERA EXCHANGE. What a great place that used to be; noyhing like the behemoth Henry's that took it over.

In L.A.: STUDIO CITY CAMERA EXCHANGE.

Old 05-01-2012   #67
dannynono
Survey sez....

Travis, Fairborn Camera was the shop my dad would head to whenever he needed something new for his Minoltas. It's probably a stretch, but in your first pic one of the faces in the background kinda looks like my dad. I'd be surprised if you hadn't run into him during your early years there.

I'm straining to recall the name of the photo store that was here in Fall Church until early '02 - the owner had a serious collection of pristine black-bodied rangefinders from the 50s-70s. The shop I do recall more clearly, and fondly, was Newberry Camera in Arlington. Mr. Newberry ran a small repair shop, selling used and consignment cameras. A very kind man who shared some great stories with anyone who happened to stop in.

condensed gallery: smugmug
non-condensed: flickr

Old 05-01-2012   #68
nikon_sam
Shooter of Film...

In the early 80's I would shop at a store in Pomona, CA called "The Good Guys"...I'm sure they sold more than just cameras and photography related gear but that's all I remember seeing there...
I bought my two black body Pentax MX's, two MX Winders, a Vivitar VI enlarger and then the Colorhead for the enlarger...most likely picked up paper and chemistry there too...
I don't remember when they closed...but it was a long time ago...

Claremont Camera was another local store that had a bunch of gear...they had a lot of salesmen too but even with that you had to wait to get to the counter...
I continued shopping there until they barely had anything left on the shelves...then one day I drove up to the store and they were closed...even now when I drive past I look at where they used to be...

Koenig Camera in Covina, CA was another shop that had it all or at least a lot of stuff that I needed...I think they still have a store but nothing like it used to be...

I never thought to photograph any of these places...I guess I figured they would always be around...
pf

Old 05-01-2012   #69
I Love Film
-

My father used to own a little local camera and film store up in the Bronx in the early 1950's.

A Polaroid rep brought in one of their early cameras and my father snapped a photo of one of his regular customers.

Old 05-01-2012   #70
sprokitt

Quote:
Originally Posted by red snapper View Post
Digital killed photography.
I don't know about 'killed' but it sure did change it.
There are many things I miss about film. First and foremost, I miss the high quality gear that was being made in the late 60's through early 90s. Sometimes I pull out my old Nikon F just to remember what a 'REAL camera' feels like.

I also miss that you actually had to work at it a little harder with film. The anticipation of waiting to develop your film made me try a little harder.

While I did like doing darkroom work, I don't miss hours on end in a dark room full of chemistry. I worked for several years as a darkroom tech and that put a damper in my love of darkroom.

I wouldn't say digital killed photography, but it most certainly killed some aspects of it.

Old 05-01-2012   #71
sprokitt

My Camera Store Votes:

Cary Camera - Cary, NC. My first camera store job from about 1987-1989 One of my best friends from high school got me a part time job there when he left for an out of town college. Luckily, I went to school in the same town. Even more luckily, my girlfriend at the time lived about 1 mile from the store. It was a tiny little store but I had a great time there.

Sam Bass Camera - Raleigh, NC. 1989-1991. My 2nd camera store job. A much bigger store with a very large pro customer base. At the time the founder (Sam) had sold the store but still worked there. I learned a lot, met a lot of great people, and more or less paid my way through engineering school with this job. They eventually sold the store to Ritz or Wolf or somebody. The store is still there but the last time I went by not too many people who knew anything about photography worked there.

University Camera, Durham, NC. 1991-1994. I started working at this store when I graduated and started my MS degree. What a great store. The place was packed every weekend. Most saturday's there was a line 4-5 people deep at the counter. Loved it. Regrettably, the owner decided to quit paying taxes and one day the IRS put a lock on the door.

Southeastern Camera / Peace Camera - Raleigh, NC. 1994-2001. Tony and Todd from University setup a new shop and I was one of the guys. I worked pretty much every weekend through those years. It was just like University. We had SOOOO much used gear and it would be so busy on the weekends. I sure do miss those days. I think Southeastern and Peace split up but are still around. Great places. I miss working there, all the gear, and all the cool people.

I will post some photos if I can find them....and scan them...

Digital killed the photo store
Old 05-01-2012   #72
kena

Digital killed the photo store

Quote:
Originally Posted by red snapper View Post
Digital killed photography.
I remember back around late 1999 why wife gave me my first digital camera for my birthday. It was a Toshiba PDRM-04. It was a little point and shoot but was quite a little novelty at the time. What I remember most though was what she said that the salesman told her " this whole digital thing is just a fad and will be gone in a few years" That store was a little place called The Shutterbug in Northridge CA. Long story short it closed probably about 6 years later. It's a shame because they also were a good local lab and had a good selection of used gear and a few shelves of Leica goodies.

Old 05-01-2012   #73
lmd91343
There's my Proctor-Silex!

Quote:
Originally Posted by julianphotoart View Post
In L.A.: STUDIO CITY CAMERA EXCHANGE.
X2 - the best one

Rangefinders used:
Canon IV Sb2; 7s x2; B&H 7; FED 2.f modified for Canon 0.95
Canonet QL17 GIII; Kodak Retina II; Moskva 5; Zeiss SI folder; Medalist II

Rangefinders lenses used:
Canon/Seranar 50/0.95; 50/1.8; 50/1.9; 85/2.0; 100/3.5; 135/4
FSU I50; J3

Old 05-02-2012   #74
Travis L.
Registered Userino

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannynono
Travis, Fairborn Camera was the shop my dad would head to whenever he needed something new for his Minoltas. It's probably a stretch, but in your first pic one of the faces in the background kinda looks like my dad. I'd be surprised if you hadn't run into him during your early years there.
What was your dads name?
If I don't remember him I'm sure one of the other guys will. I'm still in contact with all of them.
That shot was probably taken in 2001-2002.

Old 05-02-2012   #75
I Love Film
-

Who remembers Marvin Tanner?

While not technically "a store", for decades he was a fixture at flea markets, camera shows, swap meets, etc etc. He had tons of cameras, lenses and ephemera at his booths and tables. He had an encyclopedic knowledge of hardware.

He specialized in Leica and other high end cameras. If you did not know what you were doing or didn't know what something was worth, god help you, but if you were intelligent and informed, you could get the rarest, most interesting stuff from him.

Around 15 years ago, he emigrated from New York to Australia. He died soon thereafter, a real shame and a loss to camera collectors everywhere.

(this photo was taken at the old Canal Street flea market in downtown NYC. in this photo, he was equipped with hat, Rolex and plenty of cameras)

Old 05-02-2012   #76
KenD
Film Shooter

Spiratone... several pages each month in the back of Pop Photo and Modern Photo... and the place to go for wild and wonderful gadgets when you were in the Apple!

Old 05-03-2012   #77
hometext

ohh thanks for share your experience.

Old 05-03-2012   #78
Texsport

Aubin Photo Studio & Camera Shop
Hibbing, Minnesota

In business for over 100 years
Cameras, accessories, and photo archives of northern Minnesota(many panoramic). Many archive negatives never developed!

Hours spent here were always magical.

Texsport

This discussion is a perfect illustration of what I constantly tell my wife - you can never have enough cameras, lenses, guns, or golf clubs - oh, and diamonds, according to her! - Texsport

"That girl can make a dog break his chain!" - Justified - 2015.

Old 05-03-2012   #79
nosmok

The closest decent camera store to my house when I started shooting was Ferranti-Dege in Harvard Square. I bought a Contaflex Prima there (already had the lenses from my grandpa's Contina Outfit) and an RB Graflex. Nobody was very nice to me, but I still have a lot of prints and negatives they processed and they were damn good at that.

--nosmok

Old 05-03-2012   #80
mbdiesel

Dorn's camera in Red Bank, NJ. Everything was overpriced but they used to have used stuff on consignment. I miss walking thought the place. Bought my first used medium format yashicamat LM and my first enlarger from them.

The only local place left is Le Camera in Middletown, NJ. Way overpriced. I now buy anything used from KEH exclusively.