Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > TLR Forum - Twin Lens Reflex

TLR Forum - Twin Lens Reflex another alternative to the dreaded SLR way of seeing, this forum for all format TLR cameras

Higher Magnification loupe for Rollei
Old 12-25-2016   #1
mob81

Higher Magnification loupe for Rollei

Does anyone knows if the loupe on the rollei can be changed to higher magnification? I searched on the internet without useful result. Appreciate your input on where it can be done

My Flickr

My Blog

Old 12-25-2016   #2
Roger Hicks

Dear Mohammed,

Have you considered asking a good, old-fashioned optician? They can do all kinds of things. My wife even had a pair of prescription motorcycle goggles made. It will probably cost far less than you expect.

Cheers,

R.

Old 12-25-2016   #3
Greyscale

The focus magnifiers on the 2.8C and 2.8D could be adjusted for greater magnification, I think that those might have been the only models with that feature. Rollei offered accessory diopters for the 2.8FX cameras, but I don't know if they will work with other models.

https://rolleiflex.us/blogs/news-tec...rollei-cameras

My RFF Gallery

Old 12-25-2016   #4
sepiareverb
genius and moron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post
...a good, old-fashioned optician?...
+1 Roger. I've had very good results with a local optician, who said he enjoyed something out of the ordinary.

My machinist said he is always glad to see me come in as well, because I "always have something different" for him.

Old 12-25-2016   #5
ChrisLivsey

On the other hand a reputable, and certainly expensive, optician was unable to make or have made a replacement eyepiece lens for one of my Alpas. They don't come up in "for parts" condition often.

https://www.instagram.com/chris.livsey/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/red_eyes_man/

Old 12-25-2016   #6
Roger Hicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisLivsey View Post
On the other hand a reputable, and certainly expensive, optician was unable to make or have made a replacement eyepiece lens for one of my Alpas. They don't come up in "for parts" condition often.
Dear Chris,

Did you try asking someone else? Describing him as "and certainly expensive" leads me to suspect that he may be the sort of person who avoids taking on anything where he won't make a lot of money for doing very little.

Cheers,

R.

Old 12-25-2016   #7
mob81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post
Dear Mohammed,

Have you considered asking a good, old-fashioned optician? They can do all kinds of things. My wife even had a pair of prescription motorcycle goggles made. It will probably cost far less than you expect.

Cheers,

R.
Thank you Roger. I'll look for one and give him the rollei WLF if he can.

My Flickr

My Blog

Old 12-25-2016   #8
Dan Daniel

You can go to a drugstore that sells reading glasses and try different strengths to see if it will work for you. Simply remove the Rollei glass and lay the reading glass on the opening. Make note of the diopter strength that looks best.

Old 12-25-2016   #9
JHutchins

There's a lot of variation in the world of opticians. I bought a pair of old persol sunglasses on eBay thinking they looked good but on me and really everyone I knew they looked just stupid. But the lenses were quite nice. I had another pair of frames that I liked quite a bit but they had lenses I hated. And I thought -- these lenses and the persol ones are both round and the Persols are a bit bigger, maybe an optician can fit the Persol lenses to the frames I like. Took them to an optician near my office and he said "no way. Can't be done. If they were plastic you could do it but these lenses are glass so you can't." Which seemed like bull**** to me -- I mean glasses used to always be glass. So I walked around the city looking at other places and picked one with a really old guy working. He said of course he could do it. I told him another optician said it couldn't be done because they were glass and he replies "you can't put them on the machine, but they can be cut down manually. There's some risk they'll break but not much, I've done it a million times. But are you sure you want to? These are Persols -- they're really nice frames." I said "yrs but they look positively idiotic on me and on everyone I like enough to give them to." He replied "Well put them on" so I did. He immediately said "Ten dollars, they'll be ready tomorrow"

Old 12-25-2016   #10
Steve M.

What Dan said. Easy, cheap, and it will give you exactly the same results as an expensive optician. Just bring your camera in w/ you and open it up and try out different pairs of glasses while focusing it. If you ask me, you probably just need a better focus screen w/ maybe a fresnel and/or a new mirror rather than a different magnifier. Could be your magnifier is bent out of alignment too. I had several TLRs that needed a little tweaking on that.

Old 12-25-2016   #11
twopointeight

I once had a Hasselblad stovepipe finder with an adjustable diopter adapted to a Rolleiflex TLR. Use the bottom piece from a Rollei flip-up finder and with a bead of clear caulking connect it to the stovepipe. A good camera technician could do it easily.

Old 12-26-2016   #12
jmpgino

I found a cheap rollinar, took out the viewing lens glass and got an optician to make me a plain glass replacement, cost $20
So it can be done. And glass can be easily ground down on a belt sander to any shape you want.
Cheers,
James.