Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Leicas and other Leica Mount Cameras > Canon Leica Screw Mount Film Rangefinders

Canon Leica Screw Mount Film Rangefinders For classic Leica Screw Mount Canon Rangefinders.

Canon P and 21mm Wide Angle
Old 11-30-2016   #1
nasmformyzombie
Registered

Canon P and 21mm Wide Angle

Can someone confirm that the M39 version of the 21mm Super Angulon will work on a Canon P.

I would also consider the Kobalux/Avenon 21mm, although it looks like it would block the viewfinder.

Lastly, I suppose there is the the Russar 20mm f/5.6 to possibly consider.

Old 11-30-2016   #2
johannielscom
Leica II is The One

And also a Voigtlander 21mm 4.0 that will surely fit and is easier to obtain.
Might be expensive through dealers outside the US (location?) though and CameraQuest will not send outside US, middle and South America anymore. But, eBay also offers them on a regular basis.

Old 11-30-2016   #3
dourbalistar

According to Dante Stella, the Kobalux/Avenon 21mm is incompatible with the Canon P:
http://www.dantestella.com/technical/canonp.html

Old 11-30-2016   #4
nasmformyzombie
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by johannielscom View Post
And also a Voigtlander 21mm 4.0 that will surely fit and is easier to obtain...
Thanks, but no real interest in the CV 21mm. My preference hands down is the SA. From a purely technical standpoint, there may be a better lens than the SA, but I really like how it draws.

Old 11-30-2016   #5
Robert Lai

Since the Canon P has no TTL metering, there should be no reason why your LTM SA won't work.

I don't know what your experience with the CV 21f/4 is, but I find it to be a very compact and good lens. It is better than my Nikon 20 3.5 AIS SLR lens. The SLR 20mm have barrel distortion and less sharpness wide open.

The CV 21 has no distortion and high contrast even wide open.
In comparison my ZM 21 2.8 in M mount has greater resolution wide open vs the CV lens. However you need to magnify the scans to 100% to see this.

Old 11-30-2016   #6
nasmformyzombie
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Lai View Post
Since the Canon P has no TTL metering, there should be no reason why your LTM SA won't work...
The rear element protrudes very far into the camera body. Not certain if this is an issue or not. According to Dante Stella the old Zeiss Biogon 21mm is not compatible with the Canon P.

Old 11-30-2016   #7
Fixcinater
Never enough smoky peat

I know you specifically mentioned 21mm options but if wider is ok and you can find/make a 17mm rectilinear finder, the Tamron Adaptall-2 17/3.5 would be an option as would the FD 17/4.

I have used both with scale focusing. FD mount for the Tamron, FD mount on the Canon and Canon's Lens Mount Converter B to go from FL/FD to LTM with infinity focus bang on.

Old 11-30-2016   #8
rfaspen

I don't have an answer for this (SA compatible with Canon P). But for sure, the deep rear is not going to hit the curtains, its just a matter of light baffles.

I don't own the SA, but it interests me. An LTM version slipped through my hands about a year ago.... It was the f4 version, but perhaps that's the only version that was made in LTM? The f/3.4 version looks like it handles better. But, if not LTM....

Old 11-30-2016   #9
michaelwj
----------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasmformyzombie View Post
Can someone confirm that the M39 version of the 21mm Super Angulon will work on a Canon P.

I would also consider the Kobalux/Avenon 21mm, although it looks like it would block the viewfinder.

Lastly, I suppose there is the the Russar 20mm f/5.6 to possibly consider.
I think it sounds like the perfect reason to buy an M2

I might remember rumblings of it not working on the M9, but it might? Also I remember similar rumblings about compatibility with the Bessa and Ikon's, I think in that case it was the shutter mechanism hitting.

No, I've no experience with the SA on a P. I use the M mount version on an M6. The rear element is so close to the shutter, that there is hardly any space between shots on the negatives due to the high angle of the light at the edges.

Old 12-01-2016   #10
nasmformyzombie
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixcinater View Post
I know you specifically mentioned 21mm options but if wider is ok and you can find/make a 17mm rectilinear finder, the Tamron Adaptall-2 17/3.5 would be an option as would the FD 17/4...
I have the CV 15mm in LTM, so what I'm looking for is 21mm. Love the S/A! I just don't want to get one and then have it damage the camera and or the lens when mounting it on the P.

Old 12-01-2016   #11
nasmformyzombie
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelwj View Post
I think it sounds like the perfect reason to buy an M2...
Regrettably, the M2 is not in the budget. I have two Canon P's that cost far less money than one M2. If I reaquire an M body it will be an M5, which means scraping together even more funds.

Old 12-05-2016   #12
nasmformyzombie
Registered

I PM'd a respected member here on RFF who has a website reviewing Canon LTM gear, and contacted via email a well regarded repair guy here in the US. One said the S/A will probably not work on the Canon P, the other said it should be no problem.

Anyone on the forum here have actual experience they can share?

Old 12-05-2016   #13
michaelwj
----------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasmformyzombie View Post
Regrettably, the M2 is not in the budget. I have two Canon P's that cost far less money than one M2. If I reaquire an M body it will be an M5, which means scraping together even more funds.
You should note that the f/4 SAs will not work on the M5, only the later f/3.4s will fit. Just in case you eventually get an M5...

Old 12-06-2016   #14
nasmformyzombie
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelwj View Post
You should note that the f/4 SAs will not work on the M5, only the later f/3.4s will fit. Just in case you eventually get an M5...
I'm aware that the S/A with serial numbers starting at 2473251 were modified to NOT bring up the M5 meter arm, and will therefore work on the M5.

Old 12-20-2016   #15
kb244

Back when I still had a Canon P a couple years ago, I had a CV Color Skopar 21/4 and I loved it more than the Super-wide Heliar 15/4.5 I also had. CV compared to the rest seemed to have no problems with my P be it the skopar, heliar, or the ultron.

Worked quite well (one of the shots I took : http://kbeezie.deviantart.com/art/Cu...urves-51395103 )

but I did have to use the viewfinder that came with the lens, and as others have mentioned the P doesn't have any kind of metering, so you have to do the metering separate from the camera.

Nutshell : The CV 21/4 is much less hassle and delivers good results unless you're not looking for that specific look.

Old 12-20-2016   #16
nasmformyzombie
Registered

Thanks for all of the responses.

I got rid of the P. If and when I get an S/A I will use it on a Leica M body.