Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Image Processing: Darkroom / Lightroom / Film > Film vs Digital

Film vs Digital Discussions about the relative advantages and disadvantages of Film vs Digital are important as they can help us understand our choices as photographers. Each medium has strengths and weaknesses which can best be used in a given circumstance. While this makes for an interesting and useful discussion, DO NOT attack others who disagree with you. Forum rules are explained in the RFF FAQ linked at the top of each page.

Would you do it? Cut loose of digital
Old 10-30-2016   #1
kshapero
goin' fishin'

Cool Would you do it? Cut loose of digital

Don't shoot for money anymore. Thinking of dumping all my digital stuff. Keep my film cameras and upgrade to an Iphone 7+. Why not?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kshapero

Cameras, Lenses and Photos

Old 10-30-2016   #2
JP Owens

Nah. Go for the Samsung. At least you can roast marshmallows with it when not shooting!

"Nothing exists beyond the edges of the frame."

Old 10-30-2016   #3
helenhill
Beauty in Shadow & Light

I think You recently got an M8 ...It's a Great camera for B&W

But I hear ya...
I am always disappointed after a shooting spree with Digi... Film suits me Fine
Never tried using my Iphone 6, just for selling gear gear here on RFf

As You say "Why not" , just be passionate, committed and have Fun !

A Lover of Leica M's...

Old 10-30-2016   #4
Ko.Fe.
Me. Write ESL. Ko.

No kids, no family, no friends, no volunteering ? Sure, iPhone will cover the rest.
But my family and friends are keep on borrowing digi camera and lenses from me

Old 10-30-2016   #5
kshapero
goin' fishin'

The iphone would just be for instant sending, nothing special in my mind. Leave the good stuff for film. Others may differ.
BTW never owned an M8.

Old 10-30-2016   #6
helenhill
Beauty in Shadow & Light

Ooops sorry Akiva....
Just the sweeet M4-2 !!

A Lover of Leica M's...

Old 10-30-2016   #7
kshapero
goin' fishin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenhill View Post
Ooops sorry Akiva....
Just the sweeet M4-2 !!
yes!!!!but many other fine film rigs.

Old 10-30-2016   #8
gb hill

I just finished developing a roll of B&W film I shot yesterday. Love to see those newly developed frames hanging to dry.

Just bought a C-41 kit to home process my rolls of color film, so easy.

I love to post on instragram so use my iphone to play with that. The only digital I really need. Using the filters are

Old 10-30-2016   #9
Darthfeeble
But you can call me Steve

Not until something more even efficient comes along. I like the total control and ease of digital as well as the image quality. Film isn't a bad thing, it's just that being able to handle everything on my desktop is much more appealing to me.

Old 10-30-2016   #10
Mackinaw
Think Different

I kinda-sorta work part-time with my photography, so I need digital for that, but there’s no doubt I get much more satisfaction when I use one of my old film cameras. Yesterday I shot a roll of Eastman-XX 5222 in my recently purchased Nikon F2. Now that was fun! And I love the time I spend processing film too. I just don’t get the same satisfaction downloading digital images to my laptop.

Jim B.

http://snowcountryphotography.com

My RFF Gallery:

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/phot...user=1453&sl=m

Old 10-30-2016   #11
ckuwajima
Celso

There are a few things to think about:
- high ISO color photograph is no go for analog
- handheld long lens is, afaik, a domain for image stabilized digital gear
- macro and architecture photography are no go for rangefinders

Old 10-30-2016   #12
zuiko85

That decision is so personal that it is down to your personal reasons, one way or another. I never really embraced digital in the first place so my advice would not be informative since I have little to no experience with digital. For myself only I just like mechanical things and mechanical cameras from the mid 60's to mid 70's are the pinnacle of camera design in my opinion. So I still use film because the cameras I like to fondle take film.

Old 10-30-2016   #13
kxl
Social Documentary

I have two iphones (6 plus and 7) -- one for personal use and the other issued by my employer and I hate using them as cameras-- just too awkward to handle.

I have A LOT of digital gear, and yes, I can see paring them down, but NOT to zero. If I absolutely had to, I can probably make do with one high end digicam in addition to film cameras. Thank goodness I don't have to.

"... I thought the only way to give us an incentive, to bring hope, is to show the pictures of the pristine planet - to see the innocence.” ― Sebastiao Salgado

Old 10-30-2016   #14
ktmrider

I just sold the M9 (which was my only digital camera). Am traveling for three weeks in the Philippines with M5 and HP5. Admit to caving at the last minute as I bought a FujiX70 for its color jpeg capabilities. But it is smaller then a couple of my Leica lenses.

Old 10-30-2016   #15
michaelwj
----------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshapero View Post
Don't shoot for money anymore. Thinking of dumping all my digital stuff. Keep my film cameras and upgrade to an Iphone 7+. Why not?
I don't see why you need the iPhone 7, any since the 4 is acceptable.

So yep. Cut the digital if it doesn't bring you joy.

I find digital too much like my day job, while shooting film is more relaxing, and developing is so peaceful. Scanning is the only downside IMO, but I have a process, and usually a beer or a wine or a gin...

Old 10-30-2016   #16
BlackXList

At this point, I couldn't, and wouldn't want to.

A couple of years ago all of my street work was on film, now, I feel guilty because almost none of it is.
I still feel an attachment to some of the film gear though, I'm not ready to fully abandon ship just yet.

Old 10-30-2016   #17
f16sunshine

Not a chance.
I love .... love to see my b&w film images.
That said, digital is here to stay and will always come back.
How many of us have wished for more or less dof or post processing flexibilty after relying soley on an iPhone capture.
Why get rid of digital gear when it's likelyhood of returning is so high?

Old 10-30-2016   #18
icebear

I have fully abandoned film this year. I traded 3 M film bodies plus cash in for a Leica Q. Not looking back. Just fondling cameras but not using them didn't make any sense. If you do film development and printing yourself, OK you are not at the mercy of any non-motivated lab tech who possibly ruins your negatives otherwise this was not acceptable to me and I can easily achieve results from my digital cameras than I wouldn't have been able to shoot with my film bodies. The ability to check the histogram in really difficult lighting situations is invaluable.

my gallery:http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...d=6650&showall

Old 10-30-2016   #19
Jamie Pillers
Skeptic

Just a balancing thought here... If you click that shutter as many times as I do in an outing, it might be worth your while to first assess the cost of going back to film. When I add up the cost of processing my color film, it easily costs me $75 every time I head out for a day of street photography. That adds up quickly. Some people will say yes, but the cost of switching digital gear every year or so adds up too. But I think the day is here where digital gear is mature enough to last years without feeling its 'not up to par'.

Fuji digital; Polaroid 250 (waiting for an 'art' project)

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Old 10-30-2016   #20
ChrisPlatt
Thread Killer

Quote:
Don't shoot for money anymore. Thinking of dumping all my digital stuff.
Keep my film cameras and upgrade to an Iphone 7+. Why not?
Exactly - why not!

Chris

Old 10-30-2016   #21
Pioneer

I could never get rid of film. It is far too enjoyable for me. I shoot a lot of film, maybe not as much as Tom but I'm not far behind.

With film, I switch sensors on a whim. I may not even totally finish a roll sometimes, just count the # of frames exposed and rewind for another day. Then I'll switch to something else.

Digital is so boring!! I am stuck with the exact same sensor for as long as I own the camera.

But I do keep a couple of digital cameras around for those times when their use makes sense. Like Polaroid in the past, there is a place for digital.

It is almost as good as a fast horse!
Dan

Old 10-30-2016   #22
Steve M.

It was an easy decision for me because I had one of the best Nikon digital SLRs at the time and an M3 w/ a 50 DR lens. The photos from the digital Nikon weren't even close to the same quality as the Leica film shots, and it wasn't all about the lenses either. Film just walked all over it (and still does), especially in colour saturation, tonal range, sharpness, everything you could measure. The B&W difference was even more extreme.

I was always shocked by how poorly the Nikon did w/ portraits too, so much so that I always ended up deleting them and reshooting w/ the Leica and a 90 Summicron. Nothing has changed, film is still far superior to digital, but digital is all about convenience and speed. My work is about quality, everything now is B&W, so the decision made itself. Like a lot of people, I keep one digital camera around so that I can photograph film gear to sell :]

Old 10-30-2016   #23
johnwolf

I would do it if I'd shot enough film recently to know I enjoy the workflow. Easy decision for me; I have and I don't.

John

Old 10-30-2016   #24
FrozenInTime

It would be nice to dump the iPhone and become free of the distraction of the always connected world.

I could live without digital.
It's the weird colour scheme that freaks me. Every time you try to operate one of these weird black controls, which are labeled in black on a black background, a small black light lights up black to let you know you've done it.

Old 10-30-2016   #25
Godfrey
somewhat colored

I've thought recently of doing the opposite. I haven't touched a film camera (other than a Polaroid or the Hasselblad SWC) in quite some time. The M-D typ 262 does everything I want in an M, and the SL typ 601 does everything else.

But I haven't yet.

G

Old 10-30-2016   #26
Scapevision
90% Film

I did it, it's great. No more blowing highlights. Full control.

Old 10-30-2016   #27
skopar steve

I like both film and digital. For the past few years its been 90% digital 10% film. Recently I've shot more film and started developing my film at home. If it were me I'd keep both and take a long break (min 1 year) from digital. At the end of the break you will know if it's a good idea or not.

Old 10-30-2016   #28
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Dedicated analog photography and veganism have some common ground in my opinion!

Old 10-30-2016   #29
jsrockit

I actually prefer digital. It suits my lifestyle at this point and allows me to photograph often and keep up with my output.

However, there's nothing wrong with going all film if that is what makes you happy. It's still photography and that is all that matters.

Old 10-30-2016   #30
Mark C

I've mostly done that, except never went all that digital anyway. It would be fun to mess with an M9 or later, and A7 would be handy for lens comparisons, but I love the film process and really don't enjoy the digital process. I also generally prefer film results. I also kind of like the limits of film, though am constantly pushing the low light limits.

Still, I don't intend to go without some sort of minimal functional digital outfit. The occasional magazine or other assignment shows up, or some favor for friends, or camera scanning for proof sheets. There's always something, but it doesn't take much to satisfy my needs there. My old Sony A57 and a few lenses does that with minimal investment, and there are many other simple, cheap options to keep that door open for emergencies.

Old 10-30-2016   #31
kshapero
goin' fishin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Dedicated analog photography and veganism have some common ground in my opinion!
with you on that except for the occasional fillet of rainbow trout or salmon.....just saying.

Old 10-30-2016   #32
BLKRCAT
99% Film

Contraty to popular belief I do have an M8 that sits and collects dust. Digital doesnt give me the fizz like film does. When you know you nailed the shot on film there's a level of confidence and control that is very rewarding.

I soup my own and as of the last month can print my own. Going full circle with film photography does take work. Those people who don't invest the proper amount of effort end up dropping out of film and blame quality or convenience.

It's a perfectly viable means of photography and can provide excellent quality if you are willing to invest in your images. If you can't think to spend 4 hours scanning and editing or in the darkroom printing your images after souping film then stick with the iphone.

Old 10-30-2016   #33
unixrevolution

Quote:
You should do what makes you happy. This would lead me to ask, what about your digital cameras makes you unhappy?

I love shooting film, but I have just as much fun on occasion shooting my Digital SLR, my mirrorless bodies with whatever glass happens to find its way there, and my digi compact. Not to mention the usefulness of a smartphone camera.

I don't think dumping my digitals would make me happier. Any more than dumping my screwdrivers would make me happier, because I love wrenches.

"I decided to stop collecting cameras and become a photographer."

Old 10-30-2016   #34
unixrevolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Pillers View Post
Just a balancing thought here... If you click that shutter as many times as I do in an outing, it might be worth your while to first assess the cost of going back to film. When I add up the cost of processing my color film, it easily costs me $75 every time I head out for a day of street photography. That adds up quickly. Some people will say yes, but the cost of switching digital gear every year or so adds up too. But I think the day is here where digital gear is mature enough to last years without feeling its 'not up to par'.
I quite agree. My K-5 is getting on in years (It's currently 6 going on 7, as far as the introduction date is concerned, and I am at least the second owner.) But it's reliable, does everything I ask it to...it's simply not to the point where I feel it needs to be replaced. Only the lure of a FF digital body for reasonable money can possibly draw me away. My digitals simply don't cost me much in the "upgrade game" because I tend to hang on to things. My K10D was nearly 8 when I loosed it to get a Graflex.

"I decided to stop collecting cameras and become a photographer."

Old 10-31-2016   #35
johnwolf

Quote:
Hold on there, Keith. This from a dedicated digital vegan photographer: Petapixel...Animal Parts

John

Old 10-31-2016   #36
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
Considering that the gelatin used to make film emulsion is made of purified, ground up cattle bone, I wonder where the common ground might be...?

Kodak used to have huge contracts with cattle ranchers all over the world, breeding and feeding just the right animals to get the best gelatin source material!

G

Old 10-31-2016   #37
JChrome
Street Worker

I only like to have a digital camera around for product photography or if someone asks me to shoot something for them aside from portraiture which I can take care of on my MF cameras.

But as the years go by and my free time becomes less and less (and with a little one on the way it's not going to be better) the whole convenience of digital is really appealing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk