Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > Argus RF

Argus RF Forum for Argus RF nuts. The American made Argus C-3 may be the most prolific rangefinder, with over 3 million cameras produced! While American RF nutz of the 1950's may have yearned for a Leica, Zeiss, Canon or Nikon, most of them used an Argus !

What other cameras have a rangerfinder like the Argus C3?
Old 10-07-2014   #1
eckmanmj

Thumbs up What other cameras have a rangerfinder like the Argus C3?

I am the proud owner of a couple of Argus C3s. One was a junk model that was in very poor shape, but I used it as a test mule to practice disassembling and lubing it. I managed to get it working in such good order, its almost worth shooting.

My other model is a 1958 Matchmatic in great shape. I did a full CLA and although I have no idea what these things felt like brand new, I think that I got this thing as good as new.

My question though, is that I love the rangefinder in the C3 where the focusing is done by aligning the top and lower halves of the window.

I own a Yashica Electro 35 GS, and a FSU Kiev 4 and both of those have a small image in the center of the viewfinder that you use to align.

I dont have the best eyes, and find that I am able to align the images on the C3 with the split view, as opposed to just a small center section of the view like in my other RFs.

So, my question is, are there any other RFs out there like the C3 where you align a top and bottom half of the view?

Old 10-07-2014   #2
ruby.monkey

The Agfa Karat 12 and 36 have horizontally-split R/F images.

If memory serves, the rangefinder Werras also have a non-overlapping R/F image, but only over a small area in the centre of the viewfinder.

Old 10-07-2014   #3
sevo
Fokutorendaburando

The Bessa RF would be another one. With a very soft edge, though.

Old 10-07-2014   #4
mbf4755
Matt Filippini

Kodak Medalist II.

Old 10-07-2014   #5
tunalegs
Pretended Artist

Virtually all American made RFs work like this. Amongst them my favorites are the Ciro 35 and its descendent the Graflex Graphic 35, both of which have a slightly larger VF than the Argus.
The Bolsey, Clarus, Perfex, and Kodak 35 RF also use split image rangefinders.

Old 10-07-2014   #6
Dwig

The Kodak 35 RF has a "true split image" rangefinder, rather than the more modern superimposed image type.

In general, you will find that the split image RFs faded from the market in the '50s as the superimposed image type proved more popular and is much easier to optically combine with the VF image.