Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Photography General Interest

Photography General Interest Neat Photo stuff NOT particularly about Rangefinders.

Kodachrome
Old 12-01-2010   #1
tedwhite

Kodachrome

I've just been offered 10 freezer-kept rolls of a mix of Kodachrome 64 and 25 for $1.00 per roll from a friend.

However, I seem to recall reading somewhere on RFF that you can't get it processed anymore in the US or Canada. Does anyone have information about this?

Ted

rangefinder forum gallery

Old 12-01-2010   #2
hteasley
Pupil

You have until Dec 30th to shoot them all, and send them to Dwayne's Photo in Kansas. Must be in their lab by noon on the 30th.

Old 12-01-2010   #3
skipjack

Dwayne's in Kansas will still process it but, you have to have it to them no later than 12/30. Here is the link: http://www.dwaynesphoto.com/

Old 12-01-2010   #4
tedwhite

Good grief! I'd have to shoot 360 pictures in 30 days (actually 25 days as I won't get them until Monday, December 6). So that would be 360 divided by 25 = 14.4 images each day. I could easily street-shoot that many frames every day, but I wouldn't want to do that with Kodachrome, for God's sake. I've always treasured that film and used it mostly for portraits and landscapes. Presently I don't have a portrait studio and, at this time in the high desert, everything is brown.

Wish I'd known a few months earlier that my DSLR buddy had this stuff in his freezer, but yesterday he saw me with my Bessa R and said, "Are you still shooting film? I guess you are, silly question, I've still got a bunch of that stuff in my freezer." I told him to take an inventory and send me an email. It never occurred to me that he had any Kodachrome.

How, sad, the passing of Kodachrome. The end of an era.

Old 12-01-2010   #5
raid
Dad Photographer

Send me a roll.

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...n.php?cid=7007

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 12-01-2010   #6
Darshan

Ask your friend to distribute the rolls here on RFF, that way you won't have to shoot 14.4 photos/day and I bet you will be very satisfied when the photos off those rolls are posted here.

p.s. I will take 5 rolls

my flickr
RFF feedback

Old 12-01-2010   #7
PollitowuzHere
street shooter

I'll happily take some rolls of Kodachrome home

Old 12-01-2010   #8
tedwhite

That's a good idea, Dan. I'll if my friend Dwight is up for it.

Old 12-01-2010   #9
KM-25

Wow...you can't shoot 10 rolls in a month...?...

I guess there is a big...no HUGE difference between a person who is a photo enthusiast or does it for a hobby than one who is an actual photographer or a professional.

In 1981, William Albert Allard shot over 1,500 rolls of Kodachrome mostly in Leica cameras in Peru over just 90 days. I shot 150 rolls in three weeks in Maine when doing stories on Acadia and Lobster fisherman last month.

I shot 14 rolls today of a world famous chef with his awesome staff working in the kitchen, some portraits, etc. I have 290 rolls left to last me 29 days, sure hope it is enough...

This is the number one reason we have lost Kodachrome, people simply did not use it. Pros used it by far the most for many years, amateurs before the 1HR lab craze.

No offense, but, at $110 for the film and processing, I would sure as heck find a way to shoot it, because once it is gone, it is gone my friend.

Old 12-01-2010   #10
Colin Corneau
Colin Corneau

Why not street shoot it, or at least some of it? Fred Herzog did some incredible work that way (Google his Vancouver series). I mean, at this point...what the hell. A buck a roll? Why not. Nothing wrong with forcing some extra-close attention to each frame, either.

I came into one last roll myself. Things in this part of the world are bitterly cold, monochrome white...just awful. I was in Beijing about 6 weeks ago and sure could have used it then!
I figure I'll use mine for portraits - nice tight ones done on one of the sharpest lenses around, the Nikkor 105 2.5. Nothing like a project to really get motivated! Best of luck to you.

Old 12-01-2010   #11
hteasley
Pupil

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedwhite View Post
I could easily street-shoot that many frames every day, but I wouldn't want to do that with Kodachrome, for God's sake.
Better shooting it with wild abandon in an afternoon on the street, than never being able to get it developed again.

Old 12-01-2010   #12
raid
Dad Photographer

Ten people @ one roll will make ten people happy.

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...n.php?cid=7007

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 12-01-2010   #13
PollitowuzHere
street shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by raid View Post
Ten people @ one roll will make ten people happy.
Better than have it waste away in a freezer.

Old 12-01-2010   #14
Eric L

I used up most of my dozen rolls in the summer in Asia. Herzog did indeed do some nice stuff with Kodachrome. Especially being a local, every time I pass by a certain location I think back to some of his pictures... "so that's what Chinatown looked like in the '50s." Colour pictures from that era give me a different feel than B&W maybe because it was just so rarely seen in publication until recently.

That said, I have 1/2 roll left and it isn't easy shooting ISO 64 film here where it's grey and rainy all day... where the sun doesn't rise until 8am and sets at 330pm.

Old 12-02-2010   #15
varjag
Eugene Zaikonnikov

On my last roll of KL.

You had to pay an arm and leg for it once it was discontinued, but now ebay is littered with it. Damn squirrels.

My Flickr

Old 12-02-2010   #16
charjohncarter

I like the divide it up option too. My son gave me a roll last month. Shot it and those Kodachromes are/were just great, too bad it is gone as 12/30/10:

Old 12-02-2010   #17
Brian Sweeney

Dwayne's just processed my last roll. I gave away two rolls last month to an RFF'r. Spread it around if you can't shoot it, have just enough time to mail it, shoot it, and get it in for processing.

Old 12-02-2010   #18
zuikologist

Anyone in the UK want a roll?