Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Leicas and other Leica Mount Cameras > Leica M Film Cameras

Converted-to-Black-Paint Leica M's, show 'em here!
Old 10-03-2010   #1
johannielscom
Ich bin ein Barnacker

Converted-to-Black-Paint Leica M's, show 'em here!

Thought I'd launch this thread to allow happy owners to show off their Converted-to-Black-Paint Leica's.

Enjoy!

I write vintage gear reviews on www.johanniels.com |

flickr | instagram |

Old 10-03-2010   #2
LeicaTom
Watch that step!

Johan, you need to do a "black out" Swedish M3 BP counter on your M3.....

I always liked this version of the M3 camera, part of a special batch of cameras that went to Sweden in 1958 in FULL BLACK PAINT form

Everything on the camera was painted Black, (cept the shutter button, accessory shoe rails and the lens flange) a very similar treatment like the Swedish Army Leica IIIF's and IIIG's got as well......seems these were used by some promi Swedish Photographers or the Swedish Army? ~ few survived.....

I think it's the koolest Black Painted Leica ever made

A handful of the MP Classic's had the "black out" film counter option a few years back, I don't know if the part is still available with Leica?

I'm staying with an "all chrome" Project M camera at the moment, after mine's back from it's revamp.....I can't see stripping off beautiful minty factory chrome parts for a Black Paint job, I still like the look though a M3 looks great both ways!

Tom

I'm a Retro PinUp Photographer using vintage M39/LTM Leica/ CZJ Sonnar/ Nippon Kogaku and Canon lenses for now on real film Leica M6.
I'm also a Vintage Volkswagen Collector, Driver and Enthusiast ~ I own a 1957 "Oval Window" Beetle named "Blauchen" (oV!Vo) Beep!

http://www.modelmayhem.com/118

Last edited by LeicaTom : 10-04-2010 at 00:11.

Old 10-03-2010   #3
flip
良かったね!

With an M2 purchase in my future and an M3 at present, I often ponder which would be more suitable for a paint-job. I suspect the M3 brasses more attractively, but fear that BP might make it harder to read the speed setting at night - when I typically use the M3. Grrr. Oh, well - not losing sleep. Looking forward to seeing more.

Old 10-03-2010   #4
Erik van Straten

This M3 started life as a chrome camera, but was in the early seventies converted to black by Leitz to match a Noctilux 50mm f/1.2.

Erik.

Old 10-03-2010   #5
menos

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeicaTom View Post
Johan, you need to do a "black out" Swedish M3 BP counter on your M3.....

Tom
Tom, thanks for this info, I was always wondering about your avatar and researched the black frame counter to no avail.

I love the looks of it, as I think, it might be much easier, to read in low light, than the chrome standard counter of my M6 and M7.

I would love to convert these.

A nice thread here - will follow it and might pick up on a "project", as I love BP Leicas. A Leica M8.2 actually got me hooked on it ;-)

Old 10-03-2010   #6
Paul T.

What a shallow bunch, people who believe cameras are like jewelery, where the finish applied to them actually matters. Pathetic.

Anyway, here's my old Shintaro BP M4. I miss it terribly. Next time round, though, I want a really knackered one so I don't worry about chips and dents.

Old 10-03-2010   #7
LeicaTom
Watch that step!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul T. View Post
What a shallow bunch, people who believe cameras are like jewelery, where the finish applied to them actually matters. Pathetic.
Finish matters when it looks like aligator skin, or like you used a spraycan.......most modern DIY paintjobs just look like hell, there's an art to getting a finish to look like the original Black Paint Leitz finish...... Shintaro's paintjobs aren't bad at all, BUT they are nicer than original and just a pain in the ass you have to wait TWO YEARS for a camera to come back, not practical when you NEED a user camera!

The original Leitz finish was really crappy, it's just that nice sheen and smooth texure I personally admire from the old paint, it didn't hold up worth a damm and I've seen quite a few BP M3's that sweat and temperature conditions have made the paint look like the backside of the moon......there's no jewelery there, that's most certain.

Outside of M's ~ I'll have the Major's camera soon a May 1945 IIIC K Grey which is going to be a *full-time* user, the "patina" will continue, original paint, painted vulcanite, original shutter curtain with it's "K" stamp and all, I'm not afraid of using that camera, it's Postwar US Army Signal Corps legacy will carry on and on........

Tom

I'm a Retro PinUp Photographer using vintage M39/LTM Leica/ CZJ Sonnar/ Nippon Kogaku and Canon lenses for now on real film Leica M6.
I'm also a Vintage Volkswagen Collector, Driver and Enthusiast ~ I own a 1957 "Oval Window" Beetle named "Blauchen" (oV!Vo) Beep!

Last edited by LeicaTom : 10-03-2010 at 07:51.

Old 10-03-2010   #8
LeicaTom
Watch that step!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik van Straten View Post
This M3 started life as a chrome camera, but was in the early seventies converted to black by Leitz to match a Noctilux 50mm f/1.2.

Erik.

Is that a 1966/7 camera? (REAL LATE M3) Or did they do a shell swap in the 1970's while it's got the M4 style lens release button, very kool!

Tom

Old 10-03-2010   #9
Flat Twin
Film Shooter

The last few M3 cameras were supplied without the lens release guard as per the M2 & M4. I believe that they are quite rare. My M3, serial number 1156XXX does not have the release guard.

Regards

Old 10-03-2010   #10
sc_rufctr
Leica nuts

Cool thread. I hope to do a black paint M4 to go with my chrome M3 although I have been tempted by the Classic MP.

Just one question and the biggest problem I can see.

How do you remove the chrome? Electrolysis and acid?

Adelaide, South Australia

Old 10-03-2010   #11
Rogrund
Antti Sivén

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc_rufctr View Post

How do you remove the chrome? Electrolysis and acid?
Check Johan's link in post #5!

My new RFF Gallery
My flickr

Old 10-03-2010   #12
Erik van Straten

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeicaTom View Post
Is that a 1966/7 camera? (REAL LATE M3) Or did they do a shell swap in the 1970's while it's got the M4 style lens release button, very kool!

Tom
The number is 1038265, so early sixties. I think they did a shell swap, but somehow they managed to mount black paint strap eyelets.
It is a silky smooth camera. It still has the "L"-seal of the repair department that carried out the conversions and restaurations. It differs from the normal production "L"-seal. The production "L"-seal is in positive relief, the repair "L"-seal in negative relief. Information from Lars Netopil.

Erik.

Last edited by Erik van Straten : 10-03-2010 at 09:12.

Old 10-03-2010   #13
Paul T.

Here's a good Thread started by Arron Benner on black paint, with info about electrolysis etc.

This thread features an especially nice camera by Mike Pryke, which he painted using paint developed for firearms. I hope he won't mind if I add his photo, below.

Here's another repaint, from the Leica Users' Forum.

Lastly, here's another good thread, with some useful tips by a chap at photonet who painted his M3 in hammerite.

Old 10-03-2010   #14
nobbylon

Here's mine which I did myself. When I bought it there was a dent on the top plate, left rear corner which, when I hammered out showed up the ruined chrome so I decided to turn it black. This was part of a set I bought with a collapsable elmar 50 and a 3 element elmar. In the box was the original sales receipt from 1962 so I decided to keep the set together. I've had and sold quite a few M's but this one's my keeper even if it doesn't get used at the moment.

Old 10-03-2010   #15
Paul T.

Definitely one of the best self-repaints I've seen. Congrats.

Technique??

Old 10-03-2010   #16
nobbylon

Not sure if you mean mine Paul but if you do then thanks. It took me a while! I used the reverse electrolysis method to remove the chrome and nickel using muriatic acid and a battery charger. I then used a clear sticker paint to aid adhesion of the black laquer I used. Baked in the oven after very light coats in the oven. Afriend has an original bp m2 so I matched the finish as close as possible. Earlier BP's have a more glossy finish than say m4's and mp's. The infill was done with white acrylic paint. It has worn naturally and although in photos looks nice and smooth, in parts looks worn and very like the original finish on the original bp m2 I used for reference.
regards john

Old 10-03-2010   #17
Flat Twin
Film Shooter

This is an inspiring thread! I have an M2 that I have been thinking about painting black for a little while, there is lots of info and inspiration here so its even more tempting!

I notice that not many people have bothered to paint the strap lugs or the film reminder dial, I just wondered why this might be, is it a lot of work or particularly difficult to paint these bits?

Regards

Old 10-03-2010   #18
Fraser

Here's mine.

Old 10-03-2010   #19
Fraser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat Twin View Post
This is an inspiring thread! I have an M2 that I have been thinking about painting black for a little while, there is lots of info and inspiration here so its even more tempting!

I notice that not many people have bothered to paint the strap lugs or the film reminder dial, I just wondered why this might be, is it a lot of work or particularly difficult to paint these bits?

Regards
The dial would have to be taken apart its held together by a rivet and the paint would wear off very quickly on the strap lugs.

Old 10-03-2010   #20
rlouzan

Hi Johan,

I know that camera strap!
How have you been?

Regards,
Robert
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4983170583_76430bfbbc_o.jpg (33.4 KB, 170 views)

Old 10-03-2010   #21
jsrockit

Quote:
Beautiful!

Another Robert J. paintjob.
Old 10-04-2010   #22
wjlapier

Another Robert J. paintjob.

And a Shintaro BP IIIf I no longer own.

Old 10-04-2010   #23
rlouzan

Johan,

No need to send a picture, , I've seen your Leica M3 / IIIa Flickr set.
Unfortunately, it looks likeThe olive braided strap didn't match the Granite covering. We will have to do something about it !

Best,
Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzardkid View Post
Hi Robert!

I think of you regularly, whenever I see those really nice straps you sent me!

That shot of the small Leica IIIa wearing the olive braided strap is still not made. I keep being unsatisfied with the shots that I get from that set, the digital camera I have is really kicking the bucket. Image quality is getting ugly... I promise I'll get that shot to you before Christmas, how's that?

The brown leather strap is such a nice match for the BP M3 DS, it's a match made in heaven for me! Thanks!

Old 10-05-2010   #24
ZoomP

Here's my Masa Saita repaint M2. More like matt black paint. Turned out to be my smoothest M body.

Old 11-09-2010   #25
MrDan

i'd really love to have a black paint leica. I have black chrome M6 and M8 but it doens't show that beautiful brassing!

Is a repaint service offered by Leica?

Old 11-09-2010   #26
sc_rufctr
Leica nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDan View Post
i'd really love to have a black paint leica. I have black chrome M6 and M8 but it doens't show that beautiful brassing!

Is a repaint service offered by Leica?
I don't think they do anymore.

Old 11-09-2010   #27
leicashot

This M3 is gorgeous

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalintrigue View Post
Here are a few I've done:

LEICAHUB on Facebook

Old 11-10-2010   #28
MCTuomey

Anyone know which craftspeople are taking orders for repaints? This thread is crave-inducing ...

My Flickr

Old 11-10-2010   #29
Renzsu

Every single one of these cameras looks amazing! Black paint is so nice, I don't care if it's no longer 'original' or not.

Old 11-10-2010   #30
-doomed-
film is exciting

This thread always make me want to buy another M3 and have it repainted black.

All These Are Beautiful -- Another One
Old 11-10-2010   #31
Jbig

All These Are Beautiful -- Another One

My M2 with a BP Summicron.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg blackpaintm2.jpg (105.9 KB, 247 views)

Last edited by Jbig : 11-10-2010 at 14:14. Reason: image didn't load-my bad

Old 11-11-2010   #32
RFluhver

How about just getting a black M4? Wouldn't those age more nicely?

Anyway, for those in Tokyo or are heading here, Mapcamera currently has this black M2 which I'm sure is a painted one (since it's quite affordable), as well as this M3.

Last edited by RFluhver : 11-11-2010 at 04:11.

Old 11-11-2010   #33
Matus

Never had a Leica M in hand, but should I ever decide to get one, it would get a black re-paint (the original black paint ones are collector items) for sure. But it seems to be a costly procedure (some 400 € by Luton guys).

The black ones indeed look amazing ...
... per camera: Olympus XA , Jupiter J3 , Rolleiflex T, Mamiya 6, Ricoh GRDIII shots

Old 11-13-2010   #34
RFluhver

Hey boys...I don't have my own repainted M2 or M3 to show off, but I was in Lemonsha today in Ginza and again I spotted a few repainted M2's.

Look at the bottom shelf. There are 3 black M2's there, all over 200k yen. Of course, I couldn't afford any of them so I just bought a grip for my M4-P instead!

Btw, in case you're wondering, this case is a mix of M4's, M2's, and M3's. Of course, this is not all the Leicas they have. That case continues on a bit further to the right where they have more recent M's.

Old 11-13-2010   #35
Jbig

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzardkid View Post
Jbig, is that Summicron a repaint as well? It matches the body really nice!
The Summicron is from an MP Classic kit. It matches the repaint, I agree. Previous owner of the M2 thought it was a Leica repaint, but have no way to know.

Old 11-13-2010   #36
karlori
Digital Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFluhver View Post
Hey boys...I don't have my own repainted M2 or M3 to show off, but I was in Lemonsha today in Ginza and again I spotted a few repainted M2's.

Look at the bottom shelf. There are 3 black M2's there, all over 200k yen. Of course, I couldn't afford any of them so I just bought a grip for my M4-P instead!

Btw, in case you're wondering, this case is a mix of M4's, M2's, and M3's. Of course, this is not all the Leicas they have. That case continues on a bit further to the right where they have more recent M's.
I would so go to jail for this... this is what jailbait really stands for.

Old 11-13-2010   #37
sepiareverb
genius and moron

Quote:
Definitely one of the best self-repaints I've seen. Congrats.

Technique??
I can attest to the quality of a repaint by John. I'm shooting an MP he did some paint work on. Beautiful. BYW John, I filled in the logo with white after I got it.

Old 11-16-2010   #38
MrDan

excuse my ignorance, but how do i get in touch with this Robert fella who does all these excellent re-paint jobs on Leica Ms?

Old 11-17-2010   #39
Flat Twin
Film Shooter

I also dropped Robert a note via PM here on RFF and had no reply! I was just enquiring about a potential repaint. So far no answer but thats ok, I'm sure that Robert has plenty of other things to do! I'll hang on for a while then maybe try again...

Simon

Old 11-18-2010   #40
sc_rufctr
Leica nuts

Damn this thread

I feel a DIY coming on.