Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Being a Photographer > Technique: How To Shoot It

Technique: How To Shoot It Ask questions about how to take pics, as well as share your own favorite shooting tips.

Vacation with 50mm only: is it possible?
Old 05-26-2010   #1
antiquark
Derek Ross

Vacation with 50mm only: is it possible?

For various reasons, I'd like to go on my next vacation with a single lens: a 50mm equivalent.

Has anyone ever gone on a vacation with a 50mm only? Did you miss many shots? Were you always able to "work around" the angle of view limitations to produce good compositions?

Thanks,
Derek.

Old 05-26-2010   #2
kxl
Social Documentary

All the photos in my Everyday Egypt gallery are from a a CV 35/1.2 on an Epson RD-1s.

"... I thought the only way to give us an incentive, to bring hope, is to show the pictures of the pristine planet - to see the innocence.” ― Sebastiao Salgado

Old 05-26-2010   #3
gilpen123
Gil

And my recent Hongkong family trip is likewise with RD1 and a Leica 35 2.0 V4.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge"

Old 05-26-2010   #4
antiquark
Derek Ross

Quote:
Originally Posted by kxl View Post
All the photos in my Everyday Egypt gallery are from a a CV 35/1.2 on an Epson RD-1s.
Thanks! It looks like you weren't limited by the focal length. Even some of the interiors have a bit of a "wide-angle" look to them.

Old 05-26-2010   #5
monochromejrnl

I trekked (850km over 30 days) across northern Spain twice with a M4P and 50HexanonM (and a bag of TriX) and it was fantastic. Liberating to have only one lens and body to choose from.

Do it!!!
here is the dilemma and the strength of photography... it is the easiest medium in which to be competent, but it is the hardest medium in which to have a personal vision that is readily identifiable... Chuck Close

we search for truth, sometimes we find beauty - Lisette Model

Old 05-26-2010   #6
robklurfield
eclipse

Having unloaded all my gear to afford an M8 a little more than a year ago, I was left with only a single lens, a 28 Elmarit, for a week in Paris. I've now rebuilt my kit, but I have no regrets about the shots I made while traveling with the single lens. My attitude is: work with what you have and enjoy yourself doing it. If you can move, you move to accomplish what you need to as far as framing with only one focal length. I had to step closer with the wide and you'll have to do the opposite. Not a big deal. It's much more fun to travel light anyway. Personally, when I have to select just one lens without knowing what I might encounter, I always tend towards the 28 or a 35, but that's just a personal preference.

blog: http://hemi-sphericalaberration.blogspot.com/

google +: gplus.to/robklurfield

"I'm sure it wouldn't interest anybody
outside of a small circle of friends." - Phil Ochs

"His photos are saturated with obviousness, mental inertia, clichés and bad jokes." -http://www.500letters.org/form_15.php

I point. I shoot. sometimes, I focus first.

Old 05-26-2010   #7
kxl
Social Documentary

Quote:
Originally Posted by antiquark View Post
Thanks! It looks like you weren't limited by the focal length. Even some of the interiors have a bit of a "wide-angle" look to them.
The nice thing about a 50 is the working distance, especially in deep but narrow spaces... in those indoor photos, a 35 or wider would have captured too much of the periphery.

"... I thought the only way to give us an incentive, to bring hope, is to show the pictures of the pristine planet - to see the innocence.” ― Sebastiao Salgado

Old 05-26-2010   #8
funkpilz

On my last vacation, I wanted to shoot myself in the head at least daily because I brought a 50mm and left my 35mm at home. I missed a lot of shots in Bruges, were the alleys are very narrow and you need a wide lens to actually get anything inside your frame.
I guess it really depends on where you're going.

Old 05-26-2010   #9
SolaresLarrave
My M5s need red dots!

I've taken trips with a single lens... and found it nice and invigorating. Suddenly, I had to think more about my shots and the limitations of the lens itself. But I learned...

Especially, I learned that I'm a 35mm man!

In any event, I am embarking on a trip and will take only one Leica body and one lens: my M4-2 and my Hexanon 35/f2.
My Nikon D700 Neophyte's Guide

Old 05-26-2010   #10
typhillips

I think funkpilz is right that the "ideal" focal length would depend on where you're going.

This blog entry chronicles my last two winter vacations to Sanibel Island. This year, although I technically traveled with more than one camera/lens, all of my keeper shots were with an M4-P/Hexanon 50 and Isolette II folder (50mm equivalent).
http://drasticdiversions.blogspot.co...or-winter.html

Old 05-26-2010   #11
scorpius73

Years ago I went to Puerto Rico with only a 50mm lens. Didn't think twice about it and just enjoyed myself. Today I would opt for a 35mm if I were only taking one lens. That's jus me though. Whatever you do. Enjoy yourself.

Leica M6 Classic Jupiter 8 50mm f2.0 Voigtlander 35mm f1.4 Classic
Konica 28mm f2.8, 35mm f2.0, 50mm f2.0, 90mm f2.8
Amadeo Adapter for Nikon S to Leica M Mount
Nikkor 50mm f1.4 Millenium

Old 05-26-2010   #12
dfoo

If I had to travel with just one lens it would be a 35mm. I just spent a month in Shanghai and I brought with me just a 21/35/50. Perfect setup if you ask me. I shot 90% of the shots with the 35mm

Some of my work - http://silverprint.posterous.com/

Old 05-26-2010   #13
Steve Bellayr

Went on vacation last year with a 35mm f2.0. I was completely satisfied.

Old 05-26-2010   #14
GrahamWelland

I just got back from a week in Istanbul. I took my M9 & 21/1.4, 35/1.4 & 90/2.8 but other than interior shooting in the mosques where the 21 lux was invaluable, I probably shot 95% of the time with just the 35mm. If it had been less of an urban location then I'm sure I could have got away with just a 50mm.

Old 05-26-2010   #15
chris00nj
Young Luddite

I agree that it depends on where you are going.

In Rome, I brought a 21/4, a 50/1.5, and a 135/4.5, but I used the 21/4 most of the time, and the 50/1.5 for inside churches when I needed the speed. I could have just used a 28/2 and been fine.

A 50 would be better for something with more landscapes. I went on an Alaskan cruise and brought a 35 and a 100, which was a nice combination, though most shot were with the 100mm.

Next trip I want to bring my Ikonta 6x9 and Bessa w/ 35/2. Two cameras, two films, and no lens changing.

Flickr

Blog

Last edited by chris00nj : 05-26-2010 at 17:50.

Old 05-26-2010   #16
scorpius73

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post
I just got back from a week in Istanbul. I took my M9 & 21/1.4, 35/1.4 & 90/2.8 but other than interior shooting in the mosques where the 21 lux was invaluable, I probably shot 95% of the time with just the 35mm. If it had been less of an urban location then I'm sure I could have got away with just a 50mm.
Thanks for the info. I'm headed there in October. I'm thinking of picking up a CV 15mm for the trip.

Leica M6 Classic Jupiter 8 50mm f2.0 Voigtlander 35mm f1.4 Classic
Konica 28mm f2.8, 35mm f2.0, 50mm f2.0, 90mm f2.8
Amadeo Adapter for Nikon S to Leica M Mount
Nikkor 50mm f1.4 Millenium

Old 05-26-2010   #17
Bob Michaels
nobody special

I believe there are two questions here: should you travel with only one lens and is 50mm "the lens" if you only have one.

I have personally no problems with a singular focal length for shooting all the time. I travel with two M bodies so I have a backup. And, I travel with two lenses also to have a backup. Since I don't duplicate focal lengths, they are a 28mm and a 35mm. Those are the focal lengths that work for me. But I only carry one to photograph all day.

Of course if your style at home is to constantly switch between a wide, a normal and a tele, you better take all three on vacation.

The second question "is 50mm the focal length" is a purely personal choice. Base it on what you use at home. Your style will not change when you go on vacation.

The "one body, one lens, no backup" is also a personal thing. If you are going on vacation where the vacation aspect is primary and photography is secondary you can live with an equipment malfunction. But if photography is the main reason you are going, don't risk being somewhere remote for an extended time period with no functioning camera.

Old 05-26-2010   #18
degruyl
Just this guy, you know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Michaels View Post
The "one body, one lens, no backup" is also a personal thing. If you are going on vacation where the vacation aspect is primary and photography is secondary you can live with an equipment malfunction. But if photography is the main reason you are going, don't risk being somewhere remote for an extended time period with no functioning camera.
If it is a vacation, and you don't want to carry extra gear, remember that disposable cameras are all over the place. That can be considered a back-up if photography is not the main goal.

On the other questions: I use 50mm on 35mm film (I use a 35mm equivalent on every other size of film, so take that with a heaping teaspoon of salt). I rarely use more than one lens with a particular camera. I have not been carrying a backup most short trips.

For long trips, I bring just about everything short of the 8x10 with me, and that might change the next intercontinental move.

Old 05-26-2010   #19
mooge

on my trip to Singapore/Malaysia/ Thailand last year, I brought a whole bunch of crap: a Minolta Hi-matic, a Canon FTb with 100, 50, 24, teleconverter... I ended up using the FTb with the 50mm the most. I just 'see' well with that lens. I guess it also helps that it's so hot there that you really don't want to bring that extra gear in a bag.

so on our little detour to Phuket, Thailand, I brought the FTb, the fifty, four rolls of film and a Gossen Lunasix. no regrets...

cheers.

Old 05-26-2010   #20
maddoc
... likes film.

I have made many short-trips to various cities and found the 50mm to be perfect, it is my "city/people" lens. When going hiking or camping, I leave the 50mm at home and bring a 21mm and 90mm.

flickr
pBase

Old 05-26-2010   #21
Bob Michaels
nobody special

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Michaels View Post
Clarification: when I travel to photograph, I leave every morning with just one body, one lens, pocket full of film and use it all day. The backup body and lens stays somewhere secure where I am staying at night. The backup almost always never gets unpacked.

Old 05-26-2010   #22
ampguy

I think it will be fine. I usually go with a 28 or 35 with the M8 and both are fine, so a 40 or 50 on film should be good for most stuff.

Old 05-26-2010   #23
BillBingham2

These days I'm living with a 28/1.9 quite happily. I think I could be quite happy with a 50. I started out serious photo life with a fixed 48mm and have to say I had a great time shooting trips and events and even a candid or two. Did I miss stuff, heck yes. But I got a lot of great stuff.

There is no single lens that will do everything well. You need to look at it not from what it will not do, but what it will do. A good 50 is a great lens that will allow you to do a lot of different things. Would carrying say a 25 with your 50 open up opportunities to you heck yes. But it might be worth the challenge to shoot just with a 50.

Go for it!

B2 (;->

Old 05-26-2010   #24
cnphoto

I think for my next trip, i'll be taking the M3 with a 50mm F2 and the XPan with 45mm.

that should cover most things, gives me a 'wide' (panoramic) and the 50mm for lower light shooting.

My partner will probably take the LX3 and carry that around with her, so that's kind of a digital backup for me too I guess. I might put the XA in her bag too, so she shoots some film and I have a faster wide-ish lens

Old 05-26-2010   #25
Morca007
Matt

Of course it's possible.

For example, I recently spent a month in Argentina with two 35mm cameras, each fitted with only 50s.

Old 05-26-2010   #26
shyoon

I spent 3 months traveling around Europe with nothing but a cheap Panasonic digital point and shoot which had a 24mm f2.8 equivalent lens. Obviously wasn't an ideal situation, but it sufficed. Got some decent pictures from it as well.

On future trips, I wouldn't hesitate taking only my M4 + 35mm Summicron.

Old 05-26-2010   #27
telemetre

Surely it is possible. Having only used 50mm lenses, here are my observations:

Confined spaces (narrow streets, building interiors) require something wider (35 or 28 maybe, no way to calculate).

Landscapes, especially mountains, require something longer (every time I've been in the mountains I wish I had a 90-135 lens, which my later calculations support). Anything else, medium sized things (humans) in medium distances, 50mm works fine for me.

Most of these were already mentioned but just wanted to share my experience.

Old 05-26-2010   #28
kossi008
Photon Counter

I did that on my very first vacation with a camera. I was in school and could only afford an AT-1 with a 50/1.8. It really helps your composition.

Nowadays, I'm more of a 35 mm guy when it comes to a single lens. Two lenses is 28/50 and three is 21/35/75 for me.

I leave the house everyday with my Zeiss Ikon and one single lens. It's always another of the above-mentioned 5 FLs, and I find it invigorating rather than limiting... But when I go on vacation, it's most likely going to be the two- or three-lens combo...

Last edited by kossi008 : 05-26-2010 at 23:25.

Old 05-26-2010   #29
Roger Hicks

Dear Derek,

An old friend, long deceased, always reckoned there was no point in taking a holiday unless he could take his camera. I'm inclined to agree. A lot depends on how serious you are about photography. There's no moral judgement there - plenty of people don't take pictures at all - but personally I can't imagine not taking a camera (or rather, I can imagine it, which is why I wouldn't do it).

As for which lens, here's another vote for 35mm: my pre-aspheric Summilux probaby accounts for 90% of my pictures. Like Bob, I always take a backup camera, and like Bob, I see no sense in duplicating focal lengths, but unlike Bob, I carry both: 35mm and 75mm.

Personally I'd normally carry a wide-angle (21mm, 18mm or 15mm) as well as those two, because it doesn't take up much space and it doesn't eat much.

But to answer your question, yes, I have travelled with one camera and one 50mm lens (Elmar on IIIa - it was many years ago) and no, I don't really think I 'missed' any pictures. You shoot with what you've got, after all.

Cheers,

R.

Last edited by BillBingham2 : 05-27-2010 at 05:36. Reason: Disrespectful comment

Old 05-27-2010   #30
wiedo

I did go to Japan with only several Yashica Electro's (45mm) (and a iPhone). It was good for almost all situations for me (except inside shots sometimes). It didn't feel as limited, because you just know your limits and you will get very creative experimenting inside those limits.

You can see the results on my website: http://wiedo.nl

Old 05-27-2010   #31
alan davus

I travelled for 7 years in the '70's with one camera and one 50mm lens. Looking at the Kodachromes after 30 odd years, did I miss out on anything by not not carrying more? Nup!!. If I was setting out today would I do any thing different ? Probably debate with myself whether to take a 35 instead of the 50 then take the 50.

Old 05-27-2010   #32
pvdhaar
Zoom with your feet!

I recently went skiiing with only a 25 and a 50. The 50 proved to be the most practical in the mountains and also saw the most use. What's more, after I got the prints back, I found that the pictures that came out best were all taken with the 50..

I'm seriously thinking about taking the 50 only with me during my summer holidays. Although I suspect that eventually I'll cave in and take both along; have the 50 on the camera, and the 25 in the bag for when I really can't fit the subject in the frame...

Peter

My Hexländer Gallery

Old 05-27-2010   #33
raid
Dad Photographer

Right now as I am visiting Cairo, I am mainly using a 5cm 1.5 but have with me a 25mm 4 lens that I sometimes use for a different perspective. It is a very good set of lenses to have. It covers fast and slow lenses, standard and wide perspectives. Both lenses are sharp and relatively light, when compared with SLR lenses. The 50mm lens allows me to get closer to people's faces without distortion. The 25mm lens allows me to include entire scenes and "life" around me when I take walks in narrow raods.

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...n.php?cid=7007

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 05-27-2010   #34
FrankS

Well of course it is possible. Whether or not it is desireable or not depends completely on the individual's style of shooting, expectations, etc.

For me personally, I would not go on vacation (which implies travelling a distance to a location that I normally do not get to) without 2 bodies. Two bodies gives you backup in case one fails, and flexibility to use different film (either B+W with colour, or fast/slow B+W) or the flexibility to use 2 different focal lengths without the need to switch lenses on a single body. With 2 bodies then, I naturally carry at least 2 different focal lengths, usually 3: 20/28/50, 21/35/50, or 28/50/100 depending on which camera system I choose to take. (Nikon, Leica, or Olympus)

Of course this is a personal choice, but this is what works for me. Find what works for you. If it is something different, then fine, no problem. I wouldn't try to force my choices onto others.

photography makes me happy

Old 05-27-2010   #35
peter_n
~

I've never done it, but it's entirely possible. I'd make sure the lens was fast so f1.4, and has a closest focus of 0.7M.

My RFF Gallery

Old 05-27-2010   #36
Steve M.

It's not only possible I would recommend it. I used to travel w/ an SLR and a medium range zoom, but one time took just a small Konica C 35 camera w/ a 38mm lens and those were the best travel photos ever. Think about it. When you're traveling, most of your shots are going to be of landscape or buildings. A zoom isn't the right lens for that. If you and the squeeze are in a bar, public square, or restaurant and want a photo of yourselves, the 50mm or wider is the lens you need.

When we travel now I just take a little digital P&S because of the obvious problem w/ travel photos. What looked new and exciting when you were there look old and uninteresting at home. We seldom if ever look at our travel photos, and I suspect most people don't. I prefer to remember being there I guess. It's more vivid.

Old 05-27-2010   #37
back alley
IMAGES

i would not want to.

i rarely head out with only one lens locally, if i'm heading out to to do some shooting.

i do carry only one lens as a daily carry camera, and that lens changes depending on mood.

Old 05-27-2010   #38
muser53
MUSER53

Ask the Ghost of HCB.

Old 05-27-2010   #39
Vics

In 2008 My wife and I took a long trip around France, and I had nothing but a Leica M3 and a 50mm collapsable 'cron. The good news is it's a very light way to travel and that it really frees you to concentrate on the picture. Best way to go!
Vic

Old 05-27-2010   #40
batterytypehah!
Lord of the Dings

I suppose you don't mean the question quite literally. Of course it's possible, it's what millions of families did for decades.

But then they usually couldn't afford more than one fixed-lens camera. That certainly has changed. Today, I'm with FrankS above. Two bodies minimum, for backup, film flexibility, minimizing lens changes. It's part of why I shoot RF. A modest two body kit is still less to carry than most SLRs with a zoom. At a minimum, I would throw in something like an Oly XA or Minox 35 to have a wider choice, at negligible extra bulk.

“Hair-splitting, of course. But hey, it's a LEICA. Probably there are those who get excited about the colour of the hairs you split.” – Roger Hicks

Contax IIa + Leica IIIf + M3 (project) + Zorki-1 (project) + Fuji GS645 + FED-2 + Vitomatic II + Revue 400SE + Olympus XA + more + still more