Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Gearhead Delights > Repair / Camera Care

Repair / Camera Care This is a good place to discuss the care and repair of your photo gear. You can share Do-It-Yourself repair and maintenance, as well as your recommendations for pro repairs. This new forum was created 4/1/07. PLEASE title your thread wisely, so others searching for a certain make of camera or repair person can find your thread easily!

Olympus OM2N Shutter Speed Issue
Old 06-05-2019   #1
Kumachrome

Olympus OM2N Shutter Speed Issue

Hello, I have an issue with my OM2N and I can't seem to find the issue. I'm by no means an expert, but I've removed the top plate and cleaned the viewfinders and prisms from a couple of them in the past and have done some minor soldering, but this one has me stumped.
Basically, when the camera is on manual mode, the shutter speeds work fine. However, in auto mode, the shutter speeds seems stuck on 1/60 or so. No matter what the meter readout is, it's always shooting at 1/60. I could put the camera in complete darkness while it's in auto mode and it'll still shoot 1/60.
Now, I know I could just keep shooting it in manual mode, but I bought the camera specifically for it's auto mode, so I'd like it to work.

Any ideas what the issue could be?

Old 06-05-2019   #2
kymar

Hmm. Interesting problem. In Auto mode, does the meter readout change with different lighting?

Old 06-05-2019   #3
Beemermark

My bet is the electronics are going bad. I have two Leica R3 cameras which are the same vintage as the OM. Now the R3 electronics are notorious for failing but the interesting thing is one works fine in AE but not manual, the other one fires at one speed in AE and works perfect in manual.

Go figure.

Old 06-05-2019   #4
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumachrome View Post
...No matter what the meter readout is, it's always shooting at 1/60. ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kymar View Post
Hmm. Interesting problem. In Auto mode, does the meter readout change with different lighting?
See above for your answer.

Old 06-06-2019   #5
David Hughes
David Hughes

Guessing less power needed for manual and so an HR - from corrosion somewhere - could be the cause.

Regards, David

Old 06-06-2019   #6
kymar

Just a really long shot here but do you have a hotshoe fitted? If yes then try removing it and see what happens.

Otherwise I've got nothing. I've had about 7 OM2 cameras in my time, most with varying issues but nothing like that.

Old 06-06-2019   #7
sreed2006

Even if the OM-2n mode switch is set to Off, the shutter will fire at 1/60 when the shutter release button is pressed. Perhaps the mode switch is not making proper contact in the Auto position? Does the Test position work?

My favorite question is "What does this button do?"