Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Image Processing: Darkroom / Lightroom / Film > Photo Software

Photo Software Discussions of all the photo software - except scanning software which is in the forum with scanners.

Adobe goes full evil
Old 05-15-2019   #1
sepiareverb
genius and moron

Adobe goes full evil

Old versions of Photoshop are now illegal? Seems to only be the CC software, but still. Muse has been removed from the CC suite, so perhaps the website I've been building in my free time over the last two years will never get finished. Suppose that is a good analogy for my career tho.

edit:
The Adobe Muse page says that it will continue to work, and they will continue to provide support through March 202, so maybe I'm safe for the next 10 months. Will see when I next sit down to work on it.

Old 05-15-2019   #2
nightfly

I saw this and was going to post. It's basically why I never bought into CC and have been using the last stand alone versions of Lightroom and Photoshop for the past several years. That and the fact that I think the software was mature several generations ago and none of the new enhancements really are significant for me.

Once Muse spits out the HTML, you should be fine. You just might need to find a new editor.

Old 05-15-2019   #3
peterm1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfly View Post
I saw this and was going to post. It's basically why I never bought into CC and have been using the last stand alone versions of Lightroom and Photoshop for the past several years. That and the fact that I think the software was mature several generations ago and none of the new enhancements really are significant for me.

Once Muse spits out the HTML, you should be fine. You just might need to find a new editor.
I agree and use the last stand alone issue of Lightroom. For more detailed edits requiring features not possessed by Lightroom (such as layers) I have swapped over to using Corel Paintshop Pro (PSP) which for my purposes is a "near-enough" equivalent of Photoshop and of course is also stand alone. I also make considerable use of Nik's suite of photo editing filters. Both PSP and Nik can be run under and "dropped into" from within Lightroom when required. The edits can then be performed and when those edits are saved, they are saved not to the disk, but are instead saved back into Lightroom to complete any further edits required in that editor. For me this is near perfect and allows considerable flexibility - basic RAW conversion and edits in Lightroom )and if that is all that is needed that is the end of processing) and complex editing and effects in PSP and Nik Suite.

Were I a professional who uses a photo editor every day and upon which my income depended (especially bearing in mind I could get a tax deduction for the cost of the monthly fee) I might be happy to pay a monthly fee. But for an amateur shooter like me it is simply not cost effective.

Old 05-15-2019   #4
Timmyjoe

I'm confused. I have Photoshop CS1, CS3 and CS6, all stand alone. Is Adobe trying to say that software is illegal? If so, they are welcome to pry it from my cold dead fingers, as they say. I don't believe it is legal for them to try to take away software we paid for, under the agreement in place back then, (which was, if you bought it, you own it).

Are they talking about software that people got when they started the subscription service, and now those people are no longer doing the subscription service?

Best,
-Tim

New Photo Books
Sturgis Stories
& Scenes From Sturgis
now available

Old 05-15-2019   #5
ptpdprinter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyjoe View Post
I'm confused. I have Photoshop CC1, CC3 and CC6, all stand alone.
Yes you are. If they are standalone, you have CS1, CS3, and CS6, all of which are fine.

Old 05-15-2019   #6
Timmyjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptpdprinter View Post
Yes you are. If they are standalone, you have CS1, CS3, and CS6, all of which are fine.
Realized that after I typed it. Thanks.

New Photo Books
Sturgis Stories
& Scenes From Sturgis
now available

Old 05-15-2019   #7
nightfly

I think it's the licensing agreement for CC. My understanding is it's the result of losing a patent case with someone who's IP is in earlier versions of CC.

It may also apply to the stand alone versions, but there's really nothing they can do in that case.

Also if you were to look around the web, there is a stand alone version of Photoshop 6 available via a bit of a hack which works. However I would never advocate software piracy.

The advantage to me of Photoshop 6 is that it's the first version that lets you use LUTs which is nice. I often open an image in Lightroom, edit in Photoshop, apply a Color Lookup layer, throw a LUT on, and then save the edit back into Lightroom.

Old 05-15-2019   #8
ColSebastianMoran

Well... At $10/mo for the photographer's package of LR and PS, I'm a happy camper. There are, of course, advantages to using the latest versions. New features are cool and happy to have updates.

Just hope they aren't doubling the price.

In Classifieds Now: Nikon DX Fisheye, photos in this Flickr album.
Use this link to leave feedback for me.

Named "Best heavy-game shooter in the Eastern Empire." Clubs: Anglo-Indian, Tankerville, and Bagatelle Card Club.
Sony E/FE, Nikon dSLR, and iPhone digital. Misc film.
Birds, portraits, events, family. Mindfulness, reflection, creativity, and stance.

Old 05-15-2019   #9
NickTrop

I read briefly about this earlier. It likely has to do with a legal squabble with a "third-party" probably Dolby.

"While Adobe won’t spill on which “third-party” might hold you liable for using old software, the company is currently being sued by Dolby for copyright infringement."

https://gizmodo.com/adobe-warns-usin...you-1834730149

Old 05-15-2019   #10
Godfrey
somewhat colored

I don't like having to subscribe to software, so when LR 6.14 dies its inevitable death on macOS, I'll be on something else. And the new system I'll purchase this year will never have LR or PS on it...

Already testing the alternatives.

G

Old 05-15-2019   #11
stompyq

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
I don't like having to subscribe to software, so when LR 6.14 dies its inevitable death on macOS, I'll be on something else. And the new system I'll purchase this year will never have LR or PS on it...

Already testing the alternatives.

G
I switched to CaptureOne early last year. Give it a go. It's the only alternative to LR that I found. Everything else is either too clumsy or very basic. It still can't do everything PS does however, So I keep a copy of CS6 on my computer for when I need it

Old 05-15-2019   #12
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

I learned how to take SOOC images good for prints, with next to none editing in LR 3.something.
I could still clone out few pimples with it.
I also recieved one of latest SA LR with M-E. This software was garbage, slow and crashing.

Old 05-15-2019   #13
Faintandfuzzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyjoe View Post
I'm confused. I have Photoshop CS1, CS3 and CS6, all stand alone. Is Adobe trying to say that software is illegal? If so, they are welcome to pry it from my cold dead fingers, as they say. I don't believe it is legal for them to try to take away software we paid for, under the agreement in place back then, (which was, if you bought it, you own it).

Are they talking about software that people got when they started the subscription service, and now those people are no longer doing the subscription service?

Best,
-Tim
You donít actually own it. You bought a right to use it. Very different

Old 05-15-2019   #14
Rob-F
Likes Leicas

I just use my Photoshop Elements once in a while. But I mainly rely on Aperture. I just use PSE when I want to do a perspective correction, since Aperture doesn't have that. Phooey on paying for a subscription!

Old 05-15-2019   #15
jawarden

Doesn’t sound evil to me. But I’m glad to hear that you have plenty of time to get your work out of that program and onto the next one.

Old 05-15-2019   #16
jarski

one year of Adobe CC photo apps costs roughly the same as permanent license of Capture One? besides that, one lives in permanent uncertainty how Adobe will change their pricing in future. I understand why companies are staying on Adobe's boat, but not why us hobbyists.

Old 05-15-2019   #17
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarski View Post
one year of Adobe CC photo apps costs roughly the same as permanent license of Capture One? besides that, one lives in permanent uncertainty how Adobe will change their pricing in future. I understand why companies are staying on Adobe's boat, but not why us hobbyists.

Capture One is $300 for a permanent license. Adobe charges $120 a year for the Photography plan (Photoshop and Lightroom). So, Capture One is actually about 2 and a half years of Adobe. If Phase One updates Capture One, they'll charge you to upgrade. Adobe doesn't. I don't think there's a real price difference.

The big difference to me is image quality, and Capture One just doesn't cut it. Especially for high-ISO work, Lightroom's sharpening and noise reduction are FAR better than Capture One's. Even if Adobe really were a lot more expensive, I'd still use it. In the end, image quality is everything, money is not.

Old 05-15-2019   #18
PRJ
Another Day in Paradise

If you are shooting completely digital, switch to Capture One. The quality of the color in Capture One blows away Adobe.

Old 05-15-2019   #19
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

I saw capture one mentioned. I had capture one that came with my M8 when I bought it ... a year later when I went to do an update they remotely disabled it and tried to sell me a different version. I trust them 'not 'and wouldn't put it past Adobe to do the same so I would advise anyone with a free standing version of photoshop to be sure to disable any auto update functions!

Old 05-15-2019   #20
PRJ
Another Day in Paradise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
I saw capture one mentioned. I had capture one that came with my M8 when I bought it ... a year later when I went to do an update they remotely disabled it and tried to sell me a different version. I trust them 'not 'and wouldn't put it past Adobe to do the same so I would advise anyone with a free standing version of photoshop to be sure to disable any auto update functions!
You probably updated it into the next version as a "trial" and didn't realize you did it.

Old 05-15-2019   #21
jarski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscrawfordphoto View Post
Capture One is $300 for a permanent license. Adobe charges $120 a year for the Photography plan (Photoshop and Lightroom). So, Capture One is actually about 2 and a half years of Adobe. If Phase One updates Capture One, they'll charge you to upgrade. Adobe doesn't. I don't think there's a real price difference. ...
I missed option of Lightroom CC only, which seems to be $9.99 month, so by going that route yes Adobe becomes cheaper (least at the moment). But methinks CaptureOne capabilities are closer to that of Photoshop, not Lightroom. am quite used to pay for upgrades, and do those at my own pace and needs.

Old 05-15-2019   #22
Archiver

This reminds me, I still want to buy the last standalone version of Lightroom, which I think is version 6? I've been running 4.4 for years now, but I have to convert newer camera files to DNG to edit them in LR 4.4.

Old 05-15-2019   #23
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Quote:
I missed option of Lightroom CC only, which seems to be $9.99 month, so by going that route yes Adobe becomes cheaper (least at the moment). But methinks CaptureOne capabilities are closer to that of Photoshop, not Lightroom. am quite used to pay for upgrades, and do those at my own pace and needs.

The $9.99 plan includes both Photoshop and lightroom. At least in the USA.

Old 05-15-2019   #24
jarski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archiver View Post
This reminds me, I still want to buy the last standalone version of Lightroom, which I think is version 6? I've been running 4.4 for years now, but I have to convert newer camera files to DNG to edit them in LR 4.4.
Yes LR 6 series ended in version 6.14, but even that has started shown signs of aging with latest MacOS.

Old 05-15-2019   #25
jarski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscrawfordphoto View Post
The $9.99 plan includes both Photoshop and lightroom. At least in the USA.
you could be right, following Adobe's material is quite confusing at times some plan options mentioning Lightroom only, different country sites behaving differently etc.

Old 05-15-2019   #26
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRJ View Post
You probably updated it into the next version as a "trial" and didn't realize you did it.

Not at all ... I emailed them and was told that they had decided to discontinue with the version I was using which was a basic raw converter that came with the first M8s. Shortly after this ACDSee included the Leica raw files into their Pro software system so I was fine.

I was unimpressed that attempting to update my raw converter effectively nobbled it ... and brought up a message on the interface telling you that the program was no longer functional and here was your option! At this point I had owned my M8 for less than a year from memory and Capture One had been supplied with the camera on disc in the Leica box with an activation code.

Old 05-16-2019   #27
NickTrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRJ View Post
If you are shooting completely digital, switch to Capture One. The quality of the color in Capture One blows away Adobe.
I use Capture NX-D. It's free. To me RAW is for basic adjustments. I have to laugh when RAW shooters claim they "want complete control over their vision"... then slap on some preset to their capture.

Old 05-16-2019   #28
seagrove
Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfly View Post

I also am still with Photoshop CS6 and I still use Adobe Pagemill () for updates to my website as archaic as it is.

Old 05-16-2019   #29
Ted Striker

I will never, EVER subscribe to software in perpetuity.

Adobe can rot for all I care.

Old 05-16-2019   #30
seagrove
Rich

Quote:
Yes LR 6 series ended in version 6.14, but even that has started shown signs of aging with latest MacOS.
I still use PS CS6 and kept an old Windows Vista machine to work my images. I know I am just an old fart who refuses constant change. But since I am no longer doing photography for work but just for self fullfullment, that is fine. I also am still using an old Epson R2400 printer that I converted to black&white using Jon Cone's Piezography inks.

Old 05-16-2019   #31
seagrove
Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterm1 View Post
Were I a professional who uses a photo editor every day and upon which my income depended (especially bearing in mind I could get a tax deduction for the cost of the monthly fee) I might be happy to pay a monthly fee. But for an amateur shooter like me it is simply not cost effective.

Well said, Peter!

Old 05-16-2019   #32
jawarden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
I will never, EVER subscribe to software in perpetuity.

Adobe can rot for all I care.
I will always, ALWAYS subscribe to software in perpetuity.

Isn't this fun?

Old 05-16-2019   #33
Steve M.

I'm 100% analog now, but in my scanning/inkjet printing days I used an old pirated copy of PS7 that my ex wife's son made for me. I can't figure out why anyone would need more than that? Unless I totally blew the shot, it gives way more editing controls than I could ever use or need.

And yes, I feel good that I deprived Adobe of money, Companies like them, Google, Facebook, etc are simply con jobs that extort money from people, and have the ethical principles of pirates and criminals. Anything I can do that contributes to their demise is a good thing.

Old 05-16-2019   #34
Ted Striker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M. View Post
I'm 100% analog now, but in my scanning/inkjet printing days I used an old pirated copy of PS7 that my ex wife's son made for me. I can't figure out why anyone would need more than that? Unless I totally blew the shot, it gives way more editing controls than I could ever use or need.

And yes, I feel good that I deprived Adobe of money, Companies like them, Google, Facebook, etc are simply con jobs that extort money from people, and have the ethical principles of pirates and criminals. Anything I can do that contributes to their demise is a good thing.

Replacing photoshop is easy. It's the organizational abilities of Lightroom that I need. I'm running LR5 right now. Once that breaks then I am off Adobe for good. Not sure what is best to replace LR with yet.

Old 05-16-2019   #35
Dogman

I keep getting messages that Lightroom--or maybe some parts of LR--will no longer work with the next version of the Mac OS. That despite a systems review that shows it's compliant with the planned future update.

There is no updating LR 6 so I may be dumping it in the future. Not sure right now what might replace it for me. I've been very happy with LR in the past. It replaced proprietary software I had been using from Canon and Olympus as well as Picasa and Apple's Photos. But I'm not too keen on Adobe's recent practices.

Fuji in conjunction with Luminar is offering a free download of Luminar 3 for Fuji. I think I'll give that try.