Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Being a Photographer > Photogs / Photo Exhibits

Photogs / Photo Exhibits This is the place to discuss a particular Photographer (work, style, life, whatever), as well as to post Gallery and Museum Photo Exhibitions and your own impressions of them. As we march on in this new digital world, it is often too easy to forget about the visual importance of the photographic print, as well as their financial importance to the photographer. It is also interesting to remember that some guy named Gene Smith shot with lenses that many lens test reading "never had a picture published in their life" amateurs would turn up their their noses at, as being "unacceptable."

Financial Times: Stephen Shore interviewed by Alec Soth.
Old 05-10-2019   #1
telenous

Financial Times: Stephen Shore interviewed by Alec Soth.

The Financial Times published a superb interview of Stephen Shore by Alec Soth. If you are interested in Shore's work there's lots of insightful information in there. Soth is in some ways a disciple of Shore (he broke out with large format, colour, documentaristic work) so he has a good understanding of Shore's sensibilities and some interesting things to ask. They both know each other, of course, as they are both members of Magnum. [Edit: That last bit seems to be wrong after all, as I can't find any evidence of Shore being in Magnum.]

(Link deleted)

(Shore is Photo London's Master of Photography for 2019; his work will be presented at the Fair in Sommerset House between the 16th and 19th of May.)

flickr
instagram

Old 05-10-2019   #2
Steve M.

Might want to change the link. It takes me to a subscription demand, and when I go to the home page and click on an article it brings me right back to that.

Old 05-10-2019   #3
telenous

Oops, sorry. I visited the site and read the interview as a guest and can't re-open the link to a live article myself now. I think guests are allowed one article per month or so. I'll delete the link. Just do a search for "Financial Times Stephen Shore" and it should come near the top.

flickr
instagram

Old 05-11-2019   #4
rangefinderlove123

Have you the URL to Shore's profile on magnum website? I can't find it anywhere... apologies

Old 05-11-2019   #5
telenous

I can't find anything either. I see there's a link to a Magnum square sale for one of his photos but not much else. I could swear he was the president of the agency a few years ago but can't find anything on that either. Maybe my memory plays tricks? Apologies if I made a mistake!

flickr
instagram

Old 05-11-2019   #6
charjohncarter

I'd like to read it too.

Old 05-11-2019   #7
olifaunt

You have to google it. And you can only read one article without subscribing, which is why other people's links won't work.

Old 05-11-2019   #8
telenous

Quote:
Originally Posted by charjohncarter View Post
I'd like to read it too.
John, just do a google search for "financial times Stephen Shore". (The full title of the article is "A Conversation with Stephen Shore".) The first thing that comes up is that article. If you click on the link, it should be possible to open the article once and read it. Further articles require a subscription. That's what I did and I read it without being a subscriber.

flickr
instagram

Old 05-11-2019   #9
sevres_babylone

Quote:
Originally Posted by telenous View Post
John, just do a google search for "financial times Stephen Shore". (The full title of the article is "A Conversation with Stephen Shore".) The first thing that comes up is that article. If you click on the link, it should be possible to open the article once and read it. Further articles require a subscription. That's what I did and I read it without being a subscriber.
Worked for me. Thanks so much for posting. It is a fascinating article.

Old 05-11-2019   #10
charjohncarter

Quote:
Thanks, I'll do it.

Old 05-11-2019   #11
Archlich

Awesome reading!

Old 05-11-2019   #12
Bingley

I also found it by googling “alec soth interview stephen shore” and it came right up. Fascinating read. Shore makes an interesting comparison between Instagram photos (I’ve been following his account for a couple of years) and the Polaroid SX70 photos of yore.

FS: Zeiss-ZM Planar 50 plus hood, Pentax MX, Voigtlander Ultron 40/2.0 SLII in Pentax K-mount, Takumar 100/2.8 and 35/3.5 lenses: See my ads in Classifieds

M3, M2, R2A, IIIc, IVSB2, & T, and assorted LTM & M lenses
Minolta XD11, Pentax ME Super, and assorted MD Rokkor and Takumar lenses, Rolleicord III, Rolleicord Vb, Rolleiflex Automat MX-EVS

My Flickr
My Gallery

Old 05-11-2019   #13
Papercut

Location: Westchester county, NY (and Chongqing whenever I can get there)
Quote:
... Soth is in some ways a disciple of Shore (he broke out with large format, colour, documentaristic work) so he has a good understanding of Shore's sensibilities and some interesting things to ask. ...
Perhaps better to say that Soth was a disciple of Joel Sternfeld, Soth's professor / mentor at Sarah Lawrence College. Sternfeld worked for a long time in large format, colour, doing documentary imaging -- see his most famous book, American Prospects, for example.

=========
Only connect.
=========

flickr photostream

Old 05-11-2019   #14
telenous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papercut View Post
Perhaps better to say that Soth was a disciple of Joel Sternfeld, Soth's professor / mentor at Sarah Lawrence College. Sternfeld worked for a long time in large format, colour, doing documentary imaging -- see his most famous book, American Prospects, for example.
Good point, Kevin. I have a copy of the original American Prospects publication and there is indeed a thread that connects Sternfeld's and Soth's work. I wasn't aware of the Sarah Lawrence connection, very interesting.

flickr
instagram

Old 05-12-2019   #15
helenhill
Chasing Shadows ... Light

Lots of giggles... OMG, secanols for his parents to sleep/such a heavy duty drug
his mother cooking breakfast for Nico & the band, the photos of his parents...
Crazy FUN and informative read
Thank You A