Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Image Processing: Darkroom / Lightroom / Film > Film / Developing / Chemistry

"Film photography alive as younger generation continues old artform in digital world"
Old 02-20-2019   #1
HHPhoto

"Film photography alive as younger generation continues old artform in digital world"

Hi,

film photography is alive and strongly kicking in down under :

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-02-...Bt_lec5Qtx7_E0

Cheers, Jan

Old 02-20-2019   #2
E.M

Thanks a lot for posting this , I really enjoyed reading this and the link to that story about the camera restorer Mr. Ben Vang , story by Jessie Davies . C i a o !!

Old 02-20-2019   #3
Austintatious

This is wonderful !
Perhaps there is still hope.
Thank you for posting this.

RF's : Bessa-R ,FED II, Olympus 35RC , Kiev 4AM,Argus C-3
Other :Minolta XD-11, Minolta SRT102, Pentax Spotmatic ,Nikon N80, Yashica-Mat 124G, Rolleicord Va
Digital :Nikon D7100, Sony NEX 6, Panasonic LX-5

Old 02-20-2019   #4
olifaunt

At my university (an average state university in the U.S.) I would estimate (since I am taking it) there are about 20 undergrads taking just the introductory film/darkroom course this semester, which I think is respectable.

Old 02-20-2019   #5
Arbitrarium

Our local college and uni both have darkrooms and I see students walking around town with K1000s all the time. Horrible kit zooms but you can't ask too much =P

Old 02-20-2019   #6
mbisc
Silver Halide User

My access to a darkroom is the local Community College's Studio Art class, and it has a wonderful darkroom with about a dozen enlargers that will do negs up to 4x5. The Photo 1 & II classes seem to be well attended (enrollment is at least large enough to not have classes cancelled).

----------------------------------------------------------------
Life is too short for cheap film

Flickr
----------------------------------------------------------------

Old 02-20-2019   #7
olifaunt

We had too high enrollment for the darkroom (a dozen enlargers) so the teacher had to scare away students (to drop the class).

Old 02-20-2019   #8
CharlesDAMorgan

I have had several experiences recently with younger people buying film cameras for the craft aspect as much as the art. Two young mothers met in camera shops or while out shooting have both recently taken up medium format and were keen to start developing. It's nothing huge, but certainly when out shooting my Rolleiflex and my Leica III the other day they got a huge amount of love.

Apart from that have a Rolleiflex 3.5F, the odd Minolta XD7, Hasselblad 500cm, a Topcon Super D and an Intrepid 5x4 large format (not the half of it but I am clearing them out, honest).

I do all my own black and white developing at home.

Old 02-20-2019   #9
littleearth

At the lab I work with everyone is in their 20's or 30's including the owners.
They now process between 200-300 rolls on a good day. Go ask them if film is dead !
It's interesting to see a younger generation so interested in film photography.

Old 02-20-2019   #10
Larry Cloetta

It would be great if this is not a youthful fad like tattoos and nose rings. Here’s hoping.

The most perceptive observation by the 23 year old in the referenced article, in talking about her digital camera was this: “"It doesn't have the same effect and you can take the same photo with an iPhone."

Exactly. A crystalline summation, and more to the point than several multipage threads I have waded through on film vs. digital.

Old 02-20-2019   #11
Ted Striker

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleearth View Post
At the lab I work with everyone is in their 20's or 30's including the owners.
They now process between 200-300 rolls on a good day. Go ask them if film is dead !
It's interesting to see a younger generation so interested in film photography.
What city is this where they process 300 rolls of film per day?

Old 02-20-2019   #12
retinax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Cloetta View Post
It would be great if this is not a youthful fad like tattoos and nose rings. Here’s hoping.
Tattoos and nose rings have been around longer than film... so there's hope, I guess.
On a more serious note, I'm under 30 (just) and use the half-dead darkroom at my university, and there are a few others that use it, but not a lot for a big uni. I otherwise see very little of film users, young or old, but I have to admit I don't get around much. Rarely I see the odd Canon AE-1 that turns the users right off of film cameras again.

Old 02-20-2019   #13
ka7197

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
... where they process 300 rolls of film per day?
You understand that '300 rolls of film per day' is your words, not littleearth's?

Old 02-20-2019   #14
Ambro51

Dwayneís? :-)

Old 02-20-2019   #15
HHPhoto

Quote:
All of the bigger labs in Germany for example. They have often even more.
Nation Photo, Paris, also said at last Photokina they have a similar amount, and their demand is increasing very fast.
The Darkroom in San Clemente, Richard Photo Lab in L.A. and Dwaynes are also in that league, in the summer they are even doing more daily. In Japan there are certainly also labs with similar size.

Cheers, Jan

Old 02-20-2019   #16
Bill Clark

I process 300 rolls.

Takes me at least 10 years!

Old 02-20-2019   #17
michaelwj
----------------

There is a strong film user community over here.
Lots of labs doing anything from bulk C41 to small run hand developed B&W and the numbers are increasing.
The number of places (and the variety available) to get film and chemicals is also increasing slowly.
It's good news.

Old 02-20-2019   #18
Richard G

Also in Australia, in Melbourne, we have a few new photo processing outfits that have started recently and there is a film and film camera sales, sometimes after in-house refurbishment, shop called “Film Never Die”.

Old 02-20-2019   #19
zuiko85

A convergence of increasing interest in film and the aging of film cameras is sure increasing film camera prices. Well that and regular inflation. In 35mm desirable bodies, especially backed up by extensive systems are now pushing the $100~$200 range, or more. But I ain't complaining, the increase in film users is keeping film alive and available for everyone.

Old 02-20-2019   #20
Ambro51

It’s not millennials trying film that will keep film alive.....only Hollywood can keep film alive.

Old 02-20-2019   #21
jawarden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambro51 View Post
Itís not millennials trying film that will keep film alive.....only Hollywood can keep film alive.
Hollywood is important, but not required for film to survive.

Old 02-20-2019   #22
Skiff

Quote:
Itís not millennials trying film that will keep film alive.....only Hollywood can keep film alive.
With all respect, but that is a myth. Spread for years by armchair experts with no knowledge of the industry. It has nothing to do with reality.
Fact is
- Ilford, Fujifilm, Foma, Adox, Agfa (Belgium) don't produce movie film for Hollywood. They don't need it, and of course they are not dependent on a product type they don't make.
- Eastman Kodak is the only producer of film for Hollywood. They were dependent on that in the past. But that has changed in the last years. Also because of the increasing demand for photo films they could continue in the future without cine film. It's more difficult without of course, but possible.

Old 02-20-2019   #23
CMur12

Quote:
It’s not millennials trying film that will keep film alive.....only Hollywood can keep film alive.
Hollywood is important to Kodak - how critically important I'm not sure. As far as I know, Hollywood isn't supporting any of the other film manufacturers.

- Murray

Old 02-20-2019   #24
michaelwj
----------------

Quote:
No one "trying" anything is going to keep it alive. It's an increase of people using film on a regular basis that will keep it alive.

Old 02-20-2019   #25
Archiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard G View Post
Also in Australia, in Melbourne, we have a few new photo processing outfits that have started recently and there is a film and film camera sales, sometimes after in-house refurbishment, shop called “Film Never Die”.
I'm keen to check out Film Never Die. They do have some rather pricey secondhand gear, apart from the whole film buying experience.

Old 02-21-2019   #26
CharlesDAMorgan

Just popped into the camera store in Plymouth. He is struggling to keep up with local demand from mostly 20-30 year olds for manual 35mm cameras and lenses. Lots of point and shoot cameras too (cheap ones). They are mostly students who buy things like the Pentax K1000 and are regularly in to buy film. He has just moved and has had a 20% increase in footfall and that is in February - later in the year should be bigger with tourists.

He's building a darkroom at the back of the shop and next month there will be a try it out day. He's also selling a lot more developing chemicals and hopes to start bulk buying from Ilford when he has the time.

Plymouth does have a photography degree course so that may well skew things, but the two young local girls in there trying out a Zenit were not in that category.

Apart from that have a Rolleiflex 3.5F, the odd Minolta XD7, Hasselblad 500cm, a Topcon Super D and an Intrepid 5x4 large format (not the half of it but I am clearing them out, honest).

Old 02-21-2019   #27
DominikDUK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiff View Post
With all respect, but that is a myth. Spread for years by armchair experts with no knowledge of the industry. It has nothing to do with reality.
Fact is
- Ilford, Fujifilm, Foma, Adox, Agfa (Belgium) don't produce movie film for Hollywood. They don't need it, and of course they are not dependent on a product type they don't make.
- Eastman Kodak is the only producer of film for Hollywood. They were dependent on that in the past. But that has changed in the last years. Also because of the increasing demand for photo films they could continue in the future without cine film. It's more difficult without of course, but possible.
You are actually only partially right Fuji and Agfa still make release or archive Stocks. The latter is also used for long term storage of digital movies. :-) But I agree their survival is not linked to the movie industry Kodak on the other hand.
In the last two years I've seen more and more under forties with analogue cameras I've also seen quiet a few film photography cooperatives pop up.

Old 02-21-2019   #28
littleearth

Quote:
The city of Valencia (Spain) where I live. https://www.instagram.com/carmencitalab/

Old 02-21-2019   #29
Scope79

My daughter asked me today if I can develop film for her classmate who shot film for the first time. Honestly, I start to believe that film is coming back for real!

Old 02-21-2019   #30
Dogman

Maybe what's causing the uptick in film use is the number of excellent old film cameras available in huge quantities at very low prices.

Whatever, it's nice that film use is continuing even though I personally never shoot it anymore.

Old 02-21-2019   #31
MIkhail

Quote:
Originally Posted by olifaunt View Post
At my university (an average state university in the U.S.) I would estimate (since I am taking it) there are about 20 undergrads taking just the introductory film/darkroom course this semester, which I think is respectable.
About 10 years ago I have taken courses in photography in local college for two years straight - it gave me an access to an excellent dark room and plus I wanted to learn the tool the right way. And it was cheaper than any other alternative.
Anyway, the point is: in each group that I took part of (which was 6 semesters I think ?) I was about the only person who took it for shear interest. The rest of people took it as one mandatory course of choice, presumably easier one than alternatives.
So... there is reality and there is wishful thinking, and they are not the same things :-)

Old 02-22-2019   #32
olifaunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkhail View Post
The rest of people took it as one mandatory course of choice, presumably easier one than alternatives.
So... there is reality and there is wishful thinking, and they are not the same things :-)
As taught here, it is a very time-consuming course with many hours weekly in the darkroom, not at all easy. It is also expensive in materials. Probably half or more of the students in my class are non-arts majors who have an interest in making art (and some are excellent at it).

Old 02-22-2019   #33
olifaunt

I was photographing some young skateboarding guys (probably around 18 years old) doing jumps in a city square. When one asked me what I was shooting, I answered that I was doing candid people and city scenes. He then said no, what he meant was what film... And we started talking about the films we liked and labs, etc.

Old 02-22-2019   #34
CharlesDAMorgan

Quote:
I was photographing some young skateboarding guys (probably around 18 years old) doing jumps in a city square. When one asked me what I was shooting, I answered that I was doing candid people and city scenes. He then said no, what he meant was what film... And we started talking about the films we liked and labs, etc.

Yes, I was in my favourite coffee shop and the guy serving was early 20s with a ginger beard etc, he asked about my Voigtlander, said he shot film too, and then we had a good chat about film, local darkrooms, the film camera dealer etc.

Old 02-22-2019   #35
MIkhail

Quote:
As taught here, it is a very time-consuming course with many hours weekly in the darkroom, not at all easy. It is also expensive in materials. Probably half or more of the students in my class are non-arts majors who have an interest in making art (and some are excellent at it).
Same was with me, and all these kids were complaining: "I took this course to avoid the difficult one, and it turned out really tough, what the hell..."
Teachers loved me there :-) I was about the only one in groups who was really interested in practicing and spent tons of time in darkroom... plus I was closer to their age than to age of students :-)
I guess I don't blame those kids, they had a degree to work toward, I was just there for fun.

Kind of like Rodney Dangerfield in "Back to School" ;-)

Old 02-22-2019   #36
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Where I'm most of the colleges, if not all of them, have their darkrooms closed for good by now.
And labs as well.

Old 02-22-2019   #37
MIkhail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko.Fe. View Post
Where I'm most of the colleges, if not all of them, have their darkrooms closed for good by now.
And labs as well.
I was lucky - the college withing two miles from my house, and excellent lab.
Don't know what it is now...

Interestingly, while in college, I won an "all paid" trip to Rochester NY to visit Eastman house and Rochester institute of Technology, and while on tour in institute, they were showing the darkrooms, etc. and at that time were telling us that it's probably last years of analog, they about to close it, old teachers retiring, etc.

Old 02-22-2019   #38
davidnewtonguitars
Family Snaps

I just did a street fair, I have a guitar table, and my son & myself bring our cameras since a street fair is great people shooting. Plenty of interest, but mostly because of hipster fashion, and "can you still buy film?" One girl told me she buys disposable cameras at Walgreens and returns them there to be processed, who knew?

Old 02-22-2019   #39
olifaunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko.Fe. View Post
And labs as well.
That's too bad. In my area a good number of colleges and universities within a 50 mile radius offer film darkroom courses. A film darkroom is designed into the new arts building that they are going to construct at my university, so it isn't going away.

We have lost the holiday and baby snapshooters, as well as day to day journalism, but we are gaining back a certain class of weddings, some fine-arts documentary photography (e.g., a lot of people documenting a (sub-)culture in a slower way), and if you subscribe to any magazines or newsletters featuring new or emerging fine arts photographers - they are practically all working in film, and doing some really interesting new things with it.

Old 02-23-2019   #40
Skiff

Sorry, double post.