Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Leicas and other Leica Mount Cameras > Leica M10, 240 family, M-P, M60

M10-P ASC The wailing and gnashing of teeth begins again
Old 02-11-2019   #1
Larry Cloetta

M10-P ASC The wailing and gnashing of teeth begins again

Leica presents the world with yet another excuse for some people to denigrate other people’s life choices, while reveling in their own purity.

https://petapixel.com/2019/02/11/lei...ematographers/

And no, I don’t want one. Too shiny.

Old 02-11-2019   #2
ptpdprinter

Just stirring it up, eh?

Old 02-11-2019   #3
Larry Cloetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptpdprinter View Post
Just stirring it up, eh?
Yeah, sorry.

Old 02-11-2019   #4
Larry Cloetta

But that pot is going to come to a rolling boil even without my help. Always does.

Old 02-11-2019   #5
rfaspen

This is embarrassing for those of us who like "normal" Leica stuff.

Its been discussed ad nauseum here before -- "good for Leica to exploit the luxury market if it keeps them afloat". Ahem, but have we heard of "good taste" or "class"? Some of these novelties are just plain embarrassing!

... and don't get me (or plenty of others here) started on the pricing of these things...

Old 02-11-2019   #6
B-9
Devin Bro

why is everything blacked over!? lol

The cine modes sounds cool and the live view framing.

Wonder if they will offer it to other users as a pay to play update.

RangefinderGuy @ Instagram

Old 02-11-2019   #7
retinax

The frame lines in different aspect ratios are a great idea that I'd appreciate in standard models, should I ever be in the market for a digital M. But a part of the fan base complains about every feature that they don't use but can safely ignore, so leica can't win this..

Old 02-11-2019   #8
Timmyjoe

Having spent a dozen or so years in the film industry from the late 1980's to the early 2000's, I think the concept is really good. I can see DP's and directors being interested in a camera that can use PL mount lenses, has adjustable aspect ratios, and even the gimmicky "film looks". Not sure Leica would be their first choice though. And the gold & black look, kinda cheesy.

I can see this as a gift to a director or DP after he/she has finished a film that made the studios lots of money.

Best,
-Tim

I could see this concept being a much better fit with the new Nikon Z camera line.

New Photo Books
Sturgis Stories
& Scenes From Sturgis
now available

Old 02-11-2019   #9
rfaspen

I overlooked the special PL mount adapter. Were these available before (as 3rd party)?

Not knowing much about lenses in PL mount, how would the angle of view be affected when mounting on an M10. In other words: Is there a crop factor of some kind?

I still find this a limited novelty. I think some of the recently announced limited edition lenses have much broader appeal and utility. I'm a born complainer.

Old 02-11-2019   #10
LCSmith
arbiter elegentiae

It doesn't really bother me, these special edition pieces. Some investment banker will buy one for his wife for Valentine's Day and who knows, maybe it will save their marriage.

Old 02-11-2019   #11
Timmyjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfaspen View Post
I overlooked the special PL mount adapter. Were these available before (as 3rd party)?

Not knowing much about lenses in PL mount, how would the angle of view be affected when mounting on an M10. In other words: Is there a crop factor of some kind?

I still find this a limited novelty. I think some of the recently announced limited edition lenses have much broader appeal and utility. I'm a born complainer.
The majority of lenses used in the Motion Picture industry are PL mount. It's the default industry standard. Having a camera that allows you to use PL mount lenses gives a director or DP (director of photography) the ability to see exactly how the lenses they will be using in production will render a scene. Most of the high end "director's viewfinders" are set up in PL mount for that very reason.

Best,
-Tim

New Photo Books
Sturgis Stories
& Scenes From Sturgis
now available

Old 02-11-2019   #12
ptpdprinter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyjoe View Post
The majority of lenses used in the Motion Picture industry are PL mount. It's the default industry standard. Having a camera that allows you to use PL mount lenses gives a director or DP (director of photography) the ability to see exactly how the lenses they will be using in production will render a scene. Most of the high end "director's viewfinders" are set up in PL mount for that very reason.
So how are you going to see what a PL lens sees with a rangefinder? Live view on the back screen?

Old 02-11-2019   #13
Timmyjoe

That's what the copy says on the article Larry linked to.

This is also why I think it would be much better to do something like this with a mirrorless camera like the Nikon Z line.

In fact, we used to do something similar to this, with a PL mount adapter and the Panasonic Lumix GH-1 camera when it first came out. There was a group who hacked the software. I used to mount Cooke Speed Panchros (cinema lenses from the 1950's & 60's) on that GH-1 (with the PL mount adapter) and it made some very nice images, and video too. There was talk of shooting an entire film with one of those cameras and cine lenses, but I'm not sure anything ever came of that.

I agree with you, it's kind of an odd thing to do with a rangefinder camera, but the live view allows it to function properly. Again, I think this is going to be used as a premium from certain studios to give as gifts to directors & DP's who bring in lots of cash.

Best,
-Tim

New Photo Books
Sturgis Stories
& Scenes From Sturgis
now available

Old 02-11-2019   #14
splitimageview

Yes, this doesn’t appear to be a practical tool, it’s a limited edition collectible/corporate studio gift. Otherwise why bother with the lens at all, let alone a blingy gold one?

Old 02-11-2019   #15
lynnb

Look for it in the next re-make of 007 Goldfinger.
Flickr

Old 02-11-2019   #16
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Actually Leica did something impossible for them.
They put film filter preset and added crop version on top of this Goldie.
It is huge progress for them. Before it was all for exterior. Inferior

Old 02-11-2019   #17
Huss

Why isnt everything gold? And where is the fake film wind lever?

Old 02-11-2019   #18
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Amusing but not to my taste.

G

Old 02-11-2019   #19
NickTrop

Very strange product -- even as a collectors edition. Its feature set looks like Leica was serious about positioning this camera with DPs to shoot video. However, no DP would ever use some in-camera "film look" mode. They shoot in a special low contrast "flat" color profile designed for shooting video and do color grading in post. If Leica did not include a flat profile -- or if there's no way to add such a profile, this camera is of no use for professional video production.

Old 02-11-2019   #20
dave lackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Cloetta View Post
Leica presents the world with yet another excuse for some people to denigrate other people’s life choices, while reveling in their own purity.

https://petapixel.com/2019/02/11/lei...ematographers/

And no, I don’t want one. Too shiny.
Bring it in! The more the better IMO!!!

If you're gonna go, go bold!

Dave

Old 02-11-2019   #21
JeffS7444

Sure, why not another special edition? "Serious" shooters just aren't buying new cameras anymore.

Old 02-11-2019   #22
farlymac
PF McFarland

No...........

PF

Old 02-11-2019   #23
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Wim Wenders will have one for sure!

Old 02-11-2019   #24
Contarama

Make it crop super 35...a limited edition 28 lens that matches followed by a set (of course you must own a set of Cooke's before you can own these)....and wait for it...CCD and a trick shutter. Special monochrome mode.

Alas Leica never listens to muses

New Canons supposed to be good...lol

Old 02-13-2019   #25
Bike Tourist

I really like the special editions. They make my ordinary stuff seem like bargains!

Stock Portfolio:
http://www.shutterstock.com/g/biketourist

Old 02-13-2019   #26
Archiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyjoe View Post

In fact, we used to do something similar to this, with a PL mount adapter and the Panasonic Lumix GH-1 camera when it first came out. There was a group who hacked the software. I used to mount Cooke Speed Panchros (cinema lenses from the 1950's & 60's) on that GH-1 (with the PL mount adapter) and it made some very nice images, and video too. There was talk of shooting an entire film with one of those cameras and cine lenses, but I'm not sure anything ever came of that.

I agree with you, it's kind of an odd thing to do with a rangefinder camera, but the live view allows it to function properly. Again, I think this is going to be used as a premium from certain studios to give as gifts to directors & DP's who bring in lots of cash.
There's a whole niche of independent/lower budget film making going on with the Panasonic GH cameras, usually with people adapting Canon or Sigma glass, but some use Kowa or Bell and Howell anamorphics.

Independent film Upstream Color (2013) was shot entirely on the Panasonic GH2 which had been hacked for higher bitrates, and used native glass from Voigtlander and adapted glass from Samyang/Rokinon before they started to make cinema lenses like the Xeen line. Another film called Musgo was shot on the GH2.

Nowadays, we've got the GH5 and GH5s, the latter of which has been approved for EU broadcasting standards.

Man, I'd love to see what Cookes look like on a GH camera. I shoot the GH4 with Voigtlanders and can only imagine what the Cooke look could be.

As for this Leica, I think the 'gimmicks' like cinema aspect ratio framelines and film looks are very cool. It looks gorgeous, too. I don't know whether I'd buy one, because that kind of money could easily go into actual working gear. But I agree that it would make a great present to a director or cinematographer upon completing a big movie.

Old 03-16-2019   #27
JPSuisse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
Why isnt everything gold? And where is the fake film wind lever?
I am with Huss. I guess, sort of.

Glad they got rid of the rewind lever. Again, an embarrassment for anybody who actually uses Leica gear.

Old 03-16-2019   #28
Pherdinand
the snow must go on

Will make a great oresent to any dictator.
Sorry, director.

Old 03-16-2019   #29
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Doesn't bother me at all. For the buyers, it's their money, their choice and I don't know why I should judge it. For Leica, as long as they make some money from it, why should I care?

If people would just keep their nose out of everybody else's business, the world would be a saner place.

G