Thorsten Overgaard's 7A 50 1.1 review
Old 02-01-2019   #1
Huss

Thorsten Overgaard's 7A 50 1.1 review

Some may find Overgaard as a little, umm, pretentious, but he still has lots of great info on his site.
And this review of the 7Artisans is very honest, with some really nice photos of what it is for and capable of included.

http://www.overgaard.dk/7artisans-fo...er-report.html

Old 02-01-2019   #2
Larry Cloetta

Thanks, that was interesting.

Old 02-01-2019   #3
ajtruhan

What’s his story? Does he work for Leica?

Old 02-01-2019   #4
raid
Dad Photographer

He nearly convinced me to sell our home and to order a Noctilux! It is the lens that brings to you happiness and spiritual heaven and "lots of good stuff".

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...n.php?cid=7007

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 02-01-2019   #5
gnuyork

Cool lens. I'd buy one if I had a digi M.

Old 02-01-2019   #6
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

I quit on repetitive shots of Asian female. According to Trousen photos or whatever his name is, lens is garbage.
Sorry, Huss. I'm not wearing blinds, in other words, I don't own this lens to constantly find excuse for owning it.
I own J-3.

Old 02-01-2019   #7
bayernfan

I forgot about him and I was happy, and then this popped up. Thanks a lot Huss!

Old 02-01-2019   #8
Richard G

This was his first non-Leica lens. He dismissed consideration of Voigtlander lenses. Maybe he will eventually try some Zeiss lenses, like the C Sonnar 1.5. That would be an education worth having.

Old 02-01-2019   #9
peterm1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko.Fe. View Post
I quit on repetitive shots of Asian female. According to Trousen photos or whatever his name is, lens is garbage.
Sorry, Huss. I'm not wearing blinds, in other words, I don't own this lens to constantly find excuse for owning it.
I own J-3.
No he did not say the lens is garbage. This is his conclusion:

"Yes, you will like the 7artisans 50mm f/1.1 ... and it will keep you dreaming of the real Noctilux once you’ve fallen in love with its bokeh, its unreal dreamy look and the possibility of using its extremely selective focus. So get one, and then start saving up for the real Noctilux, because that’s the way it will go. The 7artisan might be the poor man’s Noctilux, but nobody wants to stay poor forever."

Overgaard is a Leica-phile. He owns every Leica you could ever wish to own. Including the Noctilux. Of course he is going to say it is a better lens - technically, he is perfectly correct, it is. Just like a Rolls Royce is technically better car than your average Hyundai. But of course not everyone aspires to own (or more to the point realistically expects to own) a Rolls. And this is where I depart from Overgaard. He seems to think everyone does and can.

Old 02-01-2019   #10
Richard G

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterm1 View Post
No he did not say the lens is garbage. This is his conclusion:

"Yes, you will like the 7artisans 50mm f/1.1 ... and it will keep you dreaming of the real Noctilux once you’ve fallen in love with its bokeh, its unreal dreamy look and the possibility of using its extremely selective focus. So get one, and then start saving up for the real Noctilux, because that’s the way it will go. The 7artisan might be the poor man’s Noctilux, but nobody wants to stay poor forever."

Overgaard is a Leica-phile. He owns every Leica you could ever wish to own. Including the Noctilux. Of course he is going to say it is a better lens - technically, he is perfectly correct, it is. Just like a Rolls Royce is technically better car than your average Hyundai. But of course not everyone aspires to own (or more to the point realistically expects to own) a Rolls. And this is where I depart from Overgaard. He seems to think everyone does and can.
Peter, Ko.Fe says it's garbage, from examining the posted photographs. Ko.Fe is rarely wrong.

Old 02-02-2019   #11
Archlich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard G View Post
Peter, Ko.Fe says it's garbage, from examining the posted photographs. Ko.Fe is rarely wrong.
I wonder if a Noctilux could transmute the said photos into something inspiring...?

Old 02-02-2019   #12
E.M

I didn't read the text , only looked at the photos and don't like the image quality . I would rather save up for a summilux , plenty fast enough for me ...

Old 02-02-2019   #13
jonmanjiro

- The price of the 50mm Noctilux ($10,500) is completely fair. In fact, it’s a miracle - as well as a gift to mankind - that one can even buy a piece of NASA space technology in a retail store. Things of this nature, things that can do what the Noctilux can do, things that can bend the light and bring it back on track, are so far-out and so unbelievable that you would think they don’t exist. But it does, and you can buy one. - T.O.

NASA space technology??? Fo' real???

Very dubious description of purple fringing too lol

Old 02-02-2019   #14
Peter Wijninga

Quote:
NASA space technology???
I prefer earth technology at a much lower price point.

Old 02-02-2019   #15
johannielscom
Ich bin ein Barnacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajtruhan View Post
What’s his story? Does he work for Leica?
No, for L. Ron Hubbard's disciples.

He's always aiming at the high-end clientele (most expensive gear, excessively expensive workshops) because that's where you rake the most money in for Scientology.

I write vintage gear reviews on www.johanniels.com |

flickr | instagram |

Old 02-02-2019   #16
Archlich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard G View Post
This was his first non-Leica lens. He dismissed consideration of Voigtlander lenses. Maybe he will eventually try some Zeiss lenses, like the C Sonnar 1.5. That would be an education worth having.
Don't think so. He chose the 7Artisan exactly because: it generated lots of attention and debate; it's on the far lower end of the price spectrum. By putting his 2 cents in he'd surely be able to: get part of that attention; make a safe judgement, that this lens is, as expected, inferior to its Leica counterpart.

A Volkswagen is "inferior" to a Rolls Royce for sure. But what about a Toyota Century? He'd be having a hard time assuming that superior position when judging a CV or a ZM lens.

Old 02-02-2019   #17
DominikDUK

The lens rendering is quiet beautiful, the out-of-focus rendering is sometimes not that great just like with every other lens incl. the Noctilux. Would like to see results on film as I believe that's the place where the lens would really shine

Old 02-02-2019   #18
Larry Cloetta

I don’t know. I looked at the pictures, saw the differences, and the various renderings in various situations of both lenses, and learned something. Maybe not a lot, but something. Just more data points I can keep tucked away somewhere, that I will likely not ever put to practical use. A little bit of knowledge I haven’t seen elsewhere, not exactly. That’s not a bad thing.

Old 02-02-2019   #19
Emile de Leon

I like that Artisan F1.1 lens a lot in rendering..but probably not enough to buy it as I already have the Noctilux F1.0 I got on the cheep a long time ago..

Old 02-02-2019   #20
Huss

But this is about the lens, which he makes a point of showing its value and how he has been impressed that something so cheap can make such nice images.
And I agree with him, the images do reflect what this lens is capable of. I mainly use it on film, as on digital unless you convert to B&W there is magenta color smearing on the edges.

And KoFe, I have had the J3 and much much prefer the 7A. The J3 has harsh bokeh wide open, is less sharp than this lens , suffers from focus shift, is less resistant to flaring, is built to a lower standard, and you cannot adjust it for focus correction if it is needed (mine did not).
I like it so much I bought two, even though I have lenses like the Summilux Asph etc. The 7A wide open really does create special glowy images that people have paid big $$ for in other lenses.

Either way this was a link to provide another point, and one that illustrates the lens' characteristics with actual images instead of brick walls, fire hydrants, a bottle in a bar that other online testers use to illustrate their photography.
The subject matter here is the lens, not someone's personal beliefs.

Old 02-02-2019   #21
Huss

7A on film

on digital:

Old 02-02-2019   #22
CharlesDAMorgan

Thanks for posting this Huss, I enjoyed seeing the images and what the lens was capable of. I really like the look, as the author found it seems a lot of lens for the money.

Apart from that have a Rolleiflex 3.5F, the odd Minolta XD7, Hasselblad 500cm, a Topcon Super D and an Intrepid 5x4 large format (not the half of it but I am clearing them out, honest).

I do all my own black and white developing at home.

Old 02-02-2019   #23
DominikDUK

Thanks for the photographs, looks to me like the lens is a more than decent performer. Especially at this price point

Old 02-02-2019   #24
peterm1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
7A on film

on digital:

Luscious colors, nice rendering, sharp enough to do what it has got to do.....I can see very little that is wrong with any of these images. If I did not already own the Voigtlander 50mm f1.1, I would be seriously tempted. I may be tempted in any event one day. I use a lot of classic lenses and have long learned that a lens does not have to be perfect (if there is ever such a thing) to be good or even excellent at least for some photographic tasks.

Old 02-02-2019   #25
maigo

The OOF on this lens gives me vertigo and makes me want to vomit. See the lady feeding dog photo for example.
All his models look like they want to fall asleep. Even the ones on the swings.
I guess this is the perfect lens for the instagram-wedding DSLR look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 02-02-2019   #26
Taipei-metro

Quote:
Originally Posted by maigo View Post
from magio;
'the OOF on this lens gives me vertigo and makes me want to vomit...'
Nonsense! you should see a doctor Immediatly!!

Old 02-02-2019   #27
maigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taipei-metro View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by maigo View Post
from magio;
'the OOF on this lens gives me vertigo and makes me want to vomit...'
Nonsense! you should see a doctor Immediatly!!
Doctor? Do you mean a man of Science?

I'm not convinced that the OOF background on this lens (or any other with such a large aperture) when used for portraiture is an improvement over a studio backdrop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 02-03-2019   #28
maddoc
... likes film.

Obviously, science and Scientology are two different things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonmanjiro View Post
- The price of the 50mm Noctilux ($10,500) is completely fair. In fact, it’s a miracle - as well as a gift to mankind - that one can even buy a piece of NASA space technology in a retail store. Things of this nature, things that can do what the Noctilux can do, things that can bend the light and bring it back on track, are so far-out and so unbelievable that you would think they don’t exist. But it does, and you can buy one. - T.O.

flickr
pBase

Old 02-03-2019   #29
michaelwj
----------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonmanjiro View Post

If you really want that NASA technology, go get yourself some Velcro, something actually developed for, and used by NASA. Or a space pen, or an Omega Speedmaster... Lots of NASA related stuff you can buy in a store that's been used since the 60's for a whole lot less than a Noctilux.

Old 02-03-2019   #30
David Hughes
David Hughes

Four lines down in the review I read this:-

"In this test, the conclusion is simply, “Yes, the 7artisans 50mm f/1.1 is worth having”."

So there you have it in a nutshell...

Regards, David

Old 02-03-2019   #31
Pherdinand
the snow must go on

Overgaard praises it for portraits and talks about how the closest eye has to be in focus.
I cant help noticing that most if not all portraits show a focus on the cloth of the person...
Kind of credibility loss i'd say
Or is that the je-ne-sais-quoi mysterious quality about this lens he meens? Missing focus?

Old 02-03-2019   #32
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hughes View Post
Four lines down in the review I read this:-

"In this test, the conclusion is simply, “Yes, the 7artisans 50mm f/1.1 is worth having”."

So there you have it in a nutshell...

Regards, David
Haha, yes... anything else is about GAS.

Old 02-03-2019   #33
David Murphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterm1 View Post
Luscious colors, nice rendering, sharp enough to do what it has got to do.....I can see very little that is wrong with any of these images. If I did not already own the Voigtlander 50mm f1.1, I would be seriously tempted. I may be tempted in any event one day. I use a lot of classic lenses and have long learned that a lens does not have to be perfect (if there is ever such a thing) to be good or even excellent at least for some photographic tasks.
Nice shots - very cool, and beautiful models. The lens is obviously quite excellent in use, especially for the price.
Canon L1, Leotax S, Bessa R2C, Konica Autoreflex, Canon FX, Pentax Spotmatic, Minolta SRT-101, Nikon F, Exakta VX, Miranda Automex II, Leotax K3, Yashica Mat LM, Leotax S, Pen FT, Rollei 35S, Ricoh Singlex TLS, Kowa Six, Pentax K1000, Canonflex, Praktina, Voigtlander R2C

http://legacycamera.wordpress.com