3d printing lens hoods
Old 10-19-2018   #1
Michael I.

3d printing lens hoods

Hey guys,

I lost the hood to my 35\2 v2 summicron a while back and thought how come no one (that I could find anyway) 3d printed replacement hoods to replace 12504 12585 ones?

Once we at it, what about one for the Summar as the historical ones are clumsy and have a lot of collector value?

Old 10-19-2018   #2
BillBingham2

While I haven't stood up and started talked about starting an RFF-3D printer library of designs for stuff like enlarger negative carriers, flash reflectors, and grips. I wonder about lens hoods with the screw pitches, but it would be fun to try. There are a lot of older (read not standard) stuff out there that might be fun to use.

B2 (;->

Old 10-19-2018   #3
Steve M.

You can buy a very nice Summar metal hood on eBay for $5-$10. It screws right into the front threads. I had one and loved it. I'm sure you could buy a similar one for your Summicron lens.

Old 10-19-2018   #4
Shac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M. View Post
You can buy a very nice Summar metal hood on eBay for $5-$10. It screws right into the front threads. I had one and loved it. I'm sure you could buy a similar one for your Summicron lens.
Yes you can buy them (39mm) for your Summicron and they work equally well for 2.8 Summarons - I have them

Old 10-19-2018   #5
Michael I.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shac View Post
Yes you can buy them (39mm) for your Summicron and they work equally well for 2.8 Summarons - I have them
I had a couple and both vignetted

Old 10-19-2018   #6
B-9
Devin Bro

I’m sure if someone spent the time to draw a hood out it wouldn’t be very cheap.

I have been working on a set of special “hoods” in fusion360 and I can tell you after hours drawing it’s still a pain to wait 7hrs for a print to be wrong.

Not such an easy alternative to the original.

RangefinderGuy @ Instagram

Old 10-19-2018   #7
BillBingham2

No doubt the number of iterations it takes to get a product right is usually high. But once you have it and share it others can build off what you have. That's where the magic happens.

With Open Source software it's about building and having others use your stuff and often make improvements to it, create something different but based upon what you do, it's fun.

I think it would be a hoot to design a MF camera that takes easy to find lenses from years ago and give you different preset points of focus and take a generic rollfilm back. A plastic crown graphic replacement. No RF, keep it simple, sports finder (wire frame).

The key is sharing ideas rather than selling something.

B2 (;->

Old 10-19-2018   #8
lukx

Yeah, this is an interesting topic.
I have indeed found a very cool lens hood online:
https://www.shapeways.com/product/SZ...on-m-canon-ltm

Sadly, it is not for sale currently (and hasn't been in some time).

While there are no current photos on the site, the wayback machine snapshot of this product page includes photos of it:
https://web.archive.org/web/20161107...on-m-canon-ltm

That thing would be pretty much perfect for my little canon 35 ltm f2 and also your summicron.

I wrote the guy who designed it a couple months back and he told me that apparently the plastic that he used for the shade was discontinued (by shapeways? I'm not sure). Until there is a substitute, production is on hold. Maybe if you write him as well he'll take it as an increase in demand and provide a solution...