Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Leicas and other Leica Mount Cameras > Leica M Lenses and Images

Lenses that benefit from the high mag m3 and 0.85 finders?
Old 08-25-2018   #1
GarageBoy

With which lenses do you guys find the high mag helpful?

Old 08-25-2018   #2
pyeh

Garageboy, for sure any 50mm or longer lens is better on a high-magnification viewfinder rangefinder. On a 0.85 the 50mm lines are close, but not too close, to the VF perimeter, if you wear glasses as I do. It makes for quick and easy composition. For longer lenses high-mag is pretty much essential I reckon. They really should not have bothered putting 135mm lines in the 0.72 finder.

Old 08-25-2018   #3
Livesteamer

Fast lens's with thin depth of field wide open like the Noctilux or 75mm f1.4 Summilux. The .85 finder will be more accurate in focusing. I use my M6 .85 for 50mm and longer and my M6 .72 for everything else. Joe

Old 08-25-2018   #4
jonmanjiro

I dont know which lenses benefit from the high mag finders, but my eyes certainly do when shooting 50mm or 85mm (which is the longest focal length I have for RF cameras).

Old 08-26-2018   #5
GarageBoy

Thanks, I feel at some point I should get a 0.58 and 0.85 or m3... I do love the m4, though

Old 08-26-2018   #6
NaChase

You can always get a magnifier attachment for your M4!

RF Cameras: Leica M2, Leica M3, Leica M5, Leica M6, Mamiya 7II,
RF Lenses:
75mm Summilux, 50mm DR Summicron, 50mm "Millennium" Nikkor, 35mm Zeiss Distagon 1.4, 35mm 2.8 Summaron, Mamiya 43mm, Mamiya 80mm, Mamiya 150mm

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/
http://www.flickr.com/groups/film_is...ong_live_film/

Old 08-27-2018   #7
presspass
filmshooter

The 75 1.4 almost requires a magnified finder but I shot it for years, up close and wide open, with a .72 M6 and rarely had a problem. My eyes were a lot better then, however. The only problem with the attachable magnifiers is the reduced brightness. I have, and have used, the Leica 1.25 and another after market one and rarely take them out of their boxes. The only trouble with the high magnification finders comes when you try to use a wide angle lens. Even the 35 is problematic if you wear glasses.

Old 08-27-2018   #8
Huss

I have the Leica 1.4X magnifier that I used on my M240, M7, M5 etc.
But I found that there was no difference in focus accuracy. What was important was for the camera's RF to be properly aligned! I did find that I hated the way it sticks out and pokes me in the eye.
So I do not use mine anymore.
No problems focusing my 50 1.4 Lux Asph, 50 1.1 Nokton etc wide open. What is important is realising that slight movements of your body (swaying too and fro) will cause OOF pics.

I do have a couple of M3s, and what is really nice about them is that 'naturally' they are great for fast lenses. But I did not get more in focus pics than with an M7/.72 etc as long as the RFs were all aligned. Because of that my favourite mag is .72, as it is the most versatile.