Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Gearhead Delights > Repair / Camera Care

Repair / Camera Care This is a good place to discuss the care and repair of your photo gear. You can share Do-It-Yourself repair and maintenance, as well as your recommendations for pro repairs. This new forum was created 4/1/07. PLEASE title your thread wisely, so others searching for a certain make of camera or repair person can find your thread easily!

Leica CL circuit board
Old 06-21-2018   #1
Atle Andersen

Leica CL circuit board

Does anyone have some insight into getting to the circuit board in the least intrusive manner possible. The + lead from the battery has disintegrated beyond the point where it can be solderet/cut and extended. My only option is to de-solder at the circuit board and replace the entire wire. Thoughts would me much appreciated.

Ohh. I should mention that I have the service manual in printed form. besides a diagram, it does not deal with the circuit board at all.

Atle

Old 06-21-2018   #2
farlymac
PF McFarland

This might give you a good idea of what you need to do:

https://www.thephoblographer.com/201...tion-november/

You could also get a Voigtlander VC meter II.

F

Old 06-21-2018   #3
santino
eXpect me

Great cAmera with meter issues.
Mine does get current but the cell seems to be dead. Is there something I can do about it?

Old 06-21-2018   #4
BillBingham2

Quote:
Originally Posted by santino View Post
Great cAmera with meter issues.
Mine does get current but the cell seems to be dead. Is there something I can do about it?
Find a donor.

Stephen's guy(s) used to repair FTn finders I think. If you could find a donor cell they might be able to do something. It's a real different beasty the CL with a cell that moves vs static sell in the FTn head.

Perhaps DAG has an idea.

B2 (;->

Old 06-21-2018   #5
VictorM.

This picture shows the wires that go from the battery (lower left) to the circuit board (under the viewfinder window):

https://www.flickr.com/photos/animau...7651499688413/

I wish I had a service manual!

Old 06-21-2018   #6
Steve M.

Repairing circuit boards is not at my skill level, but usually it's the meter cell that goes bad on these. I would think that any good electronic repair person could do your wire repair, but would that fix the meter? It can be fixed at no small expense by Sherry Krauter and probably others, but it won't be cheap. If you can't fix it, you do have options. Sell it as it is and get a working camera (this is probably considerably cheaper than repairing yours if you send it out), get the VC meter as mentioned, or just use an inexpensive but accurate hand held meter. The last suggestion is the route I took, and it was the most inexpensive and simplest.

My CL had a non working meter, but the strap lugs were much more aggravating than that problem. However, there are half cases on eBay that allow the camera to hang in a normal manner. I bought one and loved shooting that little thing.

Old 06-21-2018   #7
farlymac
PF McFarland

Another option is to just calculate your exposures using the Sunny-16 method. Doesn't cost a penny, and you won't be fumbling around with a meter hanging from your neck. I'll be reverting back myself when the Wein cell finally dies.

PF