Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Leicas and other Leica Mount Cameras > Leica M Lenses and Images

First 7Artisans 35mm f/2 Lens Review
Old 04-19-2018   #1
Chuffed Cheese

First 7Artisans 35mm f/2 Lens Review

I've only just perused the article but figured some here might be interested in some more info on this upcoming lens. Looks promising, and after the stellar reception of their 50mm 1.1 I'm guessing a lot of people will be interested in this lens.

https://emulsive.org/reviews/gear-re...clusive-review

A small bit in the opening paragraph may bother some of you so proceed with caution if you are prone to being upset.

Old 04-20-2018   #2
grouchos_tash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuffed Cheese View Post
A small bit in the opening paragraph may bother some of you so proceed with caution if you are prone to being upset.
I thought you must have been referring to the 'sorry for the crap photos' bit. There was a thread about gear reviewers being poor photographers recently haha

Really intrigued by the lens though, thanks for the review!

flickr

www.garyharding.website

Old 04-20-2018   #3
zuikologist

I suspect the price might be less than the 50/1.1, just because that was a flagship lens in some sense. Interesting to see a modern Sonnar in action - there aren't many around.

Old 04-20-2018   #4
Chuffed Cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuikologist View Post
I suspect the price might be less than the 50/1.1, just because that was a flagship lens in some sense. Interesting to see a modern Sonnar in action - there aren't many around.
lower price is always better, lol, so let's hope for that.

Old 04-20-2018   #5
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Even from single and so-so income, big family budget perspective, I'm not sure why price has to be less than 50 1.1, which was already next to for free in terms of M mount lenses pricing.
If this 35/2 will not suffer from focus shifts, it might be good alternative for my 35 2.5 ASPH (which is super lens on M-E) to keep this 35/2 on film M as the only lens.
Yes, distortions are very visible close to the edges, but to me it is not big deal. I like provided examples.
It looks like modern classic M lens, with ergonomics for RF photography. And they kept calibration part. I admire them for all of it.
RF coupling DIY adjustment is new standard. It shows right away what 7A has nothing in common with "CC" mentioned in the article.

Old 04-20-2018   #6
xayraa33
rangefinder user and fancier

I liked the sample photos taken with that lens, they have a 1950s lens bokeh quality to them.

Old 04-20-2018   #7
filmtwit
Desperate but not serious

What's it like on a digital camera like M10 or even the m240?

The Flickr Stream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/filmtwit/

The Blog (Boring Sidney, Boring)
http://jeffthomasallen.blogspot.com/

Old 04-20-2018   #8
Chuffed Cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmtwit View Post
What's it like on a digital camera like M10 or even the m240?
Not really those models and it's a pre-production sample:

https://www.35mmc.com/18/11/2017/7ar...sample-photos/

Old 04-20-2018   #9
Huss

"..Build quality is solid and compared to my Leica and Voigtlander lenses it feels somewhere between both, although closer to Voigtlander. I’ve no M-mount Zeiss lenses to compare, sadly."
Owning all those brands, Zeiss Cosina is no better than CV. Which makes sense as they are made in the same factory.
I agree with your rant, and like my 50 1.1 so much that I bought one in each finish. I did get them both used, which helped. It's my go to 50 even though I have others from Leica, Zeiss etc. One of them had the focus so far off I think that's why the owner sold it, and I also think it's because he tried to adjust it and failed.. It takes just a teeeny bit of movement to make a change.

Your photo of the close up of the Enfield gas tank with the bicycle in the back ground really is excellent. I'd get this lens if I didn't have as many 35mm lenses as I already do..

Old 04-24-2018   #10
geoffnik

Mine was delivered today - Build quality seems no different to my VM 35/1.7 - solid, smooth damped focus and no slight wobble aperture ring that Emulsive has.

Old 04-24-2018   #11
karateisland

This lens is making me wish there were an easy way to use a 35mm on a CLE. Oooof.

Old 04-24-2018   #12
Archlich

I assume the lens barrel is made from brass? At 320 grams (per official literature) it's quite heavy for a 41mm long lens with a 43mm filter ring.

The 7 elements, 5 groups lens diagram looks extremely similar to the ZM C-Biogon 35/2.8 and CV Color-Skopar 35/2.5, which means it's a (prewar Sonnar-derived, not the symmetrical retrofocus one from the 1950s) Biogon. Performance should be good, especially on a digital M, as neither of the other two lenses suffer from focus shift.

Old 04-24-2018   #13
Chuffed Cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffnik View Post
Mine was delivered today - Build quality seems no different to my VM 35/1.7 - solid, smooth damped focus and no slight wobble aperture ring that Emulsive has.
where'd you get it?

Old 04-24-2018   #14
Scapevision

Quote:
Originally Posted by karateisland View Post
This lens is making me wish there were an easy way to use a 35mm on a CLE. Oooof.
There is. Guesstimate the framelines. I did it. You'll get used to it eventually.

Old 04-24-2018   #15
taemo

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffnik View Post
what's the retail price?

Old 04-24-2018   #16
brbo

Looking at the Emulsive review sample shots - distortion seems to be... (looking for a proper word) massive.

Maybe if you shoot digital and you correct for distortion anyway, but on film... it would drive me nuts on a carry-always semi-fast 35mm lens.

Old 04-24-2018   #17
bayernfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by brbo View Post
Looking at the Emulsive review sample shots - distortion seems to be... (looking for a proper word) massive.

Maybe if you shoot digital and you correct for distortion anyway, but on film... it would drive me nuts on a carry-always semi-fast 35mm lens.
several of the samples i've seen have made me think the same thing. the barrel distortion really stands out in certain circumstances.

Old 04-24-2018   #18
geoffnik

35mmc.com and £220 - one of the first batch of 20 which Hamish had ordered.

Old 04-24-2018   #19
dourbalistar

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayernfan View Post
several of the samples i've seen have made me think the same thing. the barrel distortion really stands out in certain circumstances.
Does it look better or worse than the CV Nokton 35mm f/1.4? They don't share the same design, but the CV is often mentioned in compact, budget (i.e., less expensive) 35mm lens discussions. It also exhibits some obvious barrel distortion.

flickr

Old 04-25-2018   #20
krötenblender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taipei-metro View Post
I love distortion, but I don't shoot film, I'm going to get one w an m to m4/3 adapter, my camera correct distortion thou...
If you are referring to a µFT camera, it won't correct distortion for this lens, since it doesn't know the lens...

Old 04-25-2018   #21
presspass
filmshooter

Two quick questions. First, is it available in the United States? If so, what's the price? Thanks.

Old 04-25-2018   #22
geoffnik

Heres a pic on the MP
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7161s.jpg (178.0 KB, 145 views)

Old 04-26-2018   #23
ACullen

Despite preferring 35mm over 50mm I have far more of the latter than the former. I've a 35mm ZM Biogon f2 and an LTM Canon 35mm f2. The Zeiss is dead sharp if a little larger than I'd like whereas the Canon is tiny, image quality is poor until f4. I might therefore be tempted by this new Chinese offering as it's clearly pretty small, has character yet is sharp enough centrally. I'll be all ears for the opinions of others as it gets into more hands.

Old 04-26-2018   #24
brbo

My Canon 35/2 LTM is as sharp as it gets (for non-asph lenses) wide open in the center. Distortion is nowhere near as bad and it costs less or the same as 7Artisans 35/2. It's got character, too.

But (there always is a "but"), MFD is 1m!

Old 04-26-2018   #25
ACullen

Quote:
My Canon 35/2 LTM is as sharp as it gets (for non-asph lenses) wide open in the center. Distortion is nowhere near as bad and it costs less or the same as 7Artisans 35/2. It's got character, too.

But (there always is a "but"), MFD is 1m!
As far as I understand it the Canon 35mm f2 varies , mine is dreamy wide open with smeared edges. At f2.8 centre is good with edges good by f4. Edges continue to sharpen to f8. So for me it's a fair weather day or stopped down on a tripod. I've had some nice near IR shots one Retro80s using the Canon.

Old 04-26-2018   #26
Dante_Stella
Rex canum cattorumque

Hey, Pavlov's Dogs -

Just because something is a "Sonnar-type" doesn't mean that it is good.
  • Sonnars were a workaround for a lack of coatings in the day. That they disappeared with the advent of modern coatings should tell you something.
  • Sonnars are normal- to long-length lenses, and there is a reason that modern wideangle lenses use highly corrected aspherical, retrofocal, and/or symmetric designs. The shortest mainstream "Sonnar," as I recall, is the 40mm for the Tenax.
  • Sonnars have some appeal for people pictures not because they are good but because within certain parameters, they are bad. The the shorter they get the more distortion they have.
  • Sonnars (real ones) don't have great bokeh unless they are seriously uncorrected like the ZM.
By the way, this actually looks more like a design, ahem, homage to the UC Hexanon.

Is it interesting? Yes. Is it compelling? Who knows. The sample pics were nothing to Internet home about.

Old 04-26-2018   #27
davidnewtonguitars
Family Snaps

I agree the sample pictures don't impress.
My Canon 3.5 f2 is sharp.

Old 04-28-2018   #28
Archlich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante_Stella View Post
Hey, Pavlov's Dogs -

Just because something is a "Sonnar-type" doesn't mean that it is good.
  • Sonnars were a workaround for a lack of coatings in the day. That they disappeared with the advent of modern coatings should tell you something.
  • Sonnars are normal- to long-length lenses, and there is a reason that modern wideangle lenses use highly corrected aspherical, retrofocal, and/or symmetric designs. The shortest mainstream "Sonnar," as I recall, is the 40mm for the Tenax.
  • Sonnars have some appeal for people pictures not because they are good but because within certain parameters, they are bad. The the shorter they get the more distortion they have.
  • Sonnars (real ones) don't have great bokeh unless they are seriously uncorrected like the ZM.
By the way, this actually looks more like a design, ahem, homage to the UC Hexanon.

Is it interesting? Yes. Is it compelling? Who knows. The sample pics were nothing to Internet home about.
I don't think it paid any homage to the UC-Hexanon, which is a modified Xenotar.

It looks like a modern, retrofocal design.

Old 05-10-2018   #29
agoglanian
Reconnected.

Hamish secured another batch so I decided to try one out. I had the Canon 35 previously and I liked it but I didn't love it. The price-point is under $300 which I think is pretty incredibly for a newly-manufactured f/2 lens in Leica M mount.

I'm looking forward to trying it out, I'm sure it's not perfect, but when I need perfect I will use my Summilux FLE.

M-A | M10 | 500CM | P67II

Instagram. | Website.

Old 05-10-2018   #30
Dante_Stella
Rex canum cattorumque

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archlich View Post
I don't think it paid any homage to the UC-Hexanon, which is a modified Xenotar.
By external design, not optical formula. Right down to the filter size.

Dante

Old 05-26-2018   #31
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

On eBay it is scheduled to ship in June 1st. And they still have it listed as 320gm Leica mount lens.
389 USD....
And another ebay seller has for under 300 and it is 205 gm. And already shipping.
At Amazon it is 285$ and shipping on June 12. Weight is 195 gm. And it has distortion, vignetting and something else charts.

Old 06-03-2018   #32
LeicaFoReVer
Addicted to Rangefinders

Even AliExpress can ship it now for 300 bucks. I am tempted as I have been looking for a 35mm f2. I actually got an SLR lens, 35mm f2 zuiko which I expect to be awesome lens. What would you say folks? Not a great combo to compare but I wonder as I just bought the zuiko.
Canon 50mm f/1.2 LTM
Voightlander Color Skopar PII 35mm f2.5
Contax G2 + 45mm & 28mm
Contax RX + Zeiss 50mm f1.4
Olympus OM-4 + 24mm f2.8 + 35mm f2
Fed 3 + jupiter-12
Sony NEX 7

websites:
http://www.blurb.com/user/store/aykutkaraca
http://flickriver.com/photos/2851236...r-interesting/
http://sites.google.com/site/aykutphoto/Home
http://aykutkaraca.webs.com

Old 06-04-2018   #33
RainDance

The prices on eBay vary a bit. From which store is it best to order?

Old 06-04-2018   #34
Deardorff38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scapevision View Post
There is. Guesstimate the framelines. I did it. You'll get used to it eventually.
There is.... 35mm accessory finder.

Old 06-16-2018   #35
agoglanian
Reconnected.

Mine should be here in a couple days from Hamish. It's going through customs in Los Angeles presently.

M-A | M10 | 500CM | P67II

Instagram. | Website.

Old 06-16-2018   #36
raid
Dad Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by agoglanian View Post
Hamish secured another batch so I decided to try one out. I had the Canon 35 previously and I liked it but I didn't love it. The price-point is under $300 which I think is pretty incredibly for a newly-manufactured f/2 lens in Leica M mount.

I'm looking forward to trying it out, I'm sure it's not perfect, but when I need perfect I will use my Summilux FLE.
How do I contact Hamish?

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...n.php?cid=7007

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 06-16-2018   #37
John Lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by raid View Post
How do I contact Hamish?
Try contacting him through his website:

https://www.35mmc.com/contact-me/

John

Old 06-16-2018   #38
raid
Dad Photographer

Thanks, John. I just emailed Hamish. Maybe he has a lens left for me.

Old 06-16-2018   #39
raid
Dad Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDance View Post
The prices on eBay vary a bit. From which store is it best to order?
It is $289 shipped. Almost all sellers ask for this amount.
from Hongkong: https://www.ebay.com/itm/7artisans-3...EaTMhjF1U_zbig

Old 06-16-2018   #40
jbharrill1

I read somewhere that it is not compatible with any Leica made in Canada. I've got an m4-P and was highly considering it until saw that.

Any idea what the issue is? I've seen the obvious issues with the CL and M5 with mounting certain collapsible lenses, but never any lens restrictions for the M4-P/M4-2.

*EDIT*
Here is a review and the first photo is this lens on an M4-P. https://www.thephoblographer.com/201...ed-on-sony-fe/

BUT here an amazon link stating that it isn't compatible. (Well it actually lists it as compatible but then contradicts itself) https://www.amazon.com/7artisans-35m...sans+35mm+f2+m
"Available for Leica M Mount with A Rangefinder Coupling. Works with Leica M2 M3 M4-2 M5 M6 M7 M8 M9 M10 M4P M9p M240 M240P ME M262 M-M CL and Voigtlander M Mount Cameras. NOT compatbile with Leica M4 Cameras manufactured in Canada. Works great with Leica M4 Cameras that are manufactured in other Countries"