Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > SLRs - the unRF

SLRs - the unRF For those of you who must talk about SLRs, if only to confirm they are not RF.

canon F1...heavy
Old 04-06-2018   #1
back alley
IMAGES

canon F1...heavy

awhile back i picked up some old canon slr film gear, put it into a storage domke bag and pretty much left it there till last night.
from nowhere came the urge to figure out what model f1 it was/is...
from online comparisons and descriptions i am pretty sure that it's the original f1, mercury battery and all. it's also a very glossy paint on it and i think the other later models were flat black paint.
it really is a beautiful old camera...but so heavy. i have to chuckle when i hear people complain about the size of modern gear...i could feel my arm tiring last night after playing with it for awhile.
i should really take it out for a spin and see if she still works as well as she looks.

canon F1
Old 04-06-2018   #2
cloud worlds

canon F1

I've just got my original F-1 back from Ken Oikawa. I intend to use it with the Power Winder FN this summer, it'll improve my upper body strength.

Old 04-06-2018   #3
zuiko85

I was working in a camera store in Chicago when those were introduced. It was the first time Canon made a serious challenge to Nikon's F and F2 series. I remember how we all marveled at how compact it was compared to a F with a big FTn metering head on it. Canon's meter was built into the body. I always thought it was a good looking camera but was invested in Olympus's Pen F system (I figured if you are going to have a postage stamp sized neg why not go all the way.) I was enamored of the small size and light weight of my kit.
When Olympus introduced the OM-1 I bought in to that system for the same reason.
(Well, the viewfinder had something to do with it to.)

Old 04-06-2018   #4
Spavinaw

back alley- The first F-1 had a metal wind lever, the second model (unofficially F-1n) looked almost the same and had a plastic tipped wind lever, the third model (officially "New F-1"/unofficially F-1N) had a quite different looking top plate.

Old 04-06-2018   #5
Mackinaw
Think Different

Look at the Canon Museum website for pics and info on the F-1.

Jim B.

My RFF Gallery:
http://www.rangefinderforum.com/phot...user=1453&sl=m

Old 04-06-2018   #6
lynnb

I think the original F-1 in black is a beautiful camera.. more so than the Nikon F (I know, heresy - speaking as an original F owner ). Canon made some *very* nice FD lenses too - which ones do you have, Joe?
Flickr

Old 04-06-2018   #7
Dogman

The Canon F1, along with the Nikons of the time, were built to "hockey puck" standards. They could stand up to ungodly abuse and environmental exposure and keep on working.

I personally recall a working Saturday on which I shot a college football game in a driving rainstorm with a pair of Nikon F cameras. Afterwards, I returned to the office, stripped both cameras of backs and prisms and put them in a film drying cabinet to get the moisture out. That night, I took them to a bowl game and shot in the rain and splashing mud, repeating the drying process later. I ruined a rain suit and a pair of boots that day but both cameras functioned perfectly and survived without any ill effects.

You had to respect the build of the top tier Canons and Nikon of that era but carrying them and using them was an upper body workout, especially with motor drives and long lenses.

Old 04-06-2018   #8
Timmyjoe

In 1994 this was my "work" camera.

I was covering the Achilles Track Club (a group of differently-abled athletes) for a weekly paper in Queens. The athletes were competing in the New York City Marathon. I ran 9 miles, backwards, that day, covering their wheelchair journey through the 5 boroughs, with this monster held up to my eye. My arms ached for a week.

Loved the camera though.

Best,
-Tim

Old 04-06-2018   #9
Ronald M

Marty Foresher ran a very pro oriented camera repair business in New York City. First class ++ all the way.

He referred to Pro Nikons and Canons as "buit like a hockey puck." I have since collected 4 Nikon F2 and two Nikkormats along with my Leicas. I originally thought Nikkormatts were consumer junk. I have since learned the guts are Nikon F, just some pro features are missing. Compared to my FE2, which is light as a feather and a consumer camera, early Nikkormats were hockey pucks .

I had some Pentax stuff late 60`s. I dropped a lens from around 18" onto my bed. Diaphragm got all screwed up. This happened with more than one lens. This is called consumer junk. A Nikon lens fell out of my pocket to CEMENT. One nick in the focus ring was the only damage. Shock tests are part of military specs which is why you see Hassy and Nikons in space and used by NATO.

Old 04-06-2018   #10
presspass
filmshooter

In the late 1970s and through the 80s I carried two of them, both with motor drives, and four breach mount lenses - 20, 35, 85, and 200. They all fit in an original Domke bag. I still have the original non-padded canvas divider that came in the bag but the rest is long gone. Those cameras held up under miserable conditions and, except for one motor drive's battery compartment, never failed.

Old 04-06-2018   #11
back alley
IMAGES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spavinaw View Post
back alley- The first F-1 had a metal wind lever, the second model (unofficially F-1n) looked almost the same and had a plastic tipped wind lever, the third model (officially "New F-1"/unofficially F-1N) had a quite different looking top plate.
the wind on mine is completely plastic from end to end.

the image posted above looks like the paint job on mine.

Old 04-06-2018   #12
back alley
IMAGES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post
Look at the Canon Museum website for pics and info on the F-1.

Jim B.
i did but still could not be sure...i wish heir pics covered the backs of the camera.
my camera's battery cover (inside) says 1.3v

Old 04-06-2018   #13
back alley
IMAGES

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnb View Post
I think the original F-1 in black is a beautiful camera.. more so than the Nikon F (I know, heresy - speaking as an original F owner ). Canon made some *very* nice FD lenses too - which ones do you have, Joe?
for the f1 i bought a 24 and a 100 lens, both look new...
i also have 200 (2.8) iirc...and 5.6 300mm...and another that escapes me atm.

Old 04-06-2018   #14
xayraa33
rangefinder user and fancier

The original F1 was a beautifully constructed rugged tank of a machine, better internal part finishing than on the Nikon F or F2, very typical Canon way of doing things on pro level gear.

This thing is on par with the Leicaflex as being overbuilt.

Old 04-06-2018   #15
zwicko

Canon F1, beautiful cameras. I love mine.
Left the F1 new (3rd version), right the original (1st) version.

Old 04-06-2018   #16
back alley
IMAGES

Quote:
Originally Posted by zwicko View Post
Canon F1, beautiful cameras. I love mine.
Left the F1 new (3rd version), right the original (1st) version.
one on the right looks like mine...has light gathering panel (for meter) on the body, not on the pentaprism. need to double check the film advance lever. no hot shoe on mine. mine has a self timer.

Old 04-06-2018   #17
Timmyjoe

The F1 I pictured in my post above was the 2nd generation, similar to the one on the right in zwicko's picture but with the film advance lever having a plastic end, not the sculpted metal one. Where the lever attaches to the body is the same, and it is metal, just the part your thumb presses on is plastic. Very similar to how they added the plastic to the advance lever when the went from the Nikon F to the Nikon F Apollo.

Best,
-Tim

Old 04-06-2018   #18
Dwig

Quote:
Originally Posted by back alley View Post
one on the right looks like mine...has light gathering panel (for meter) on the body, not on the pentaprism. need to double check the film advance lever. no hot shoe on mine. mine has a self timer.
Actually, the original F-1 and its tweaked "n" updated brother had "hot shoes", just not ISO standard shoes. Like the Nikon F & F2 they had a shoe at the base of the rewind with an electrical contact(s). By putting it there it could be screwed solidly to the body casting ("hockey puck" school of camera design). Both Nikon and Canon sold adapters for their proprietary shoes that would allow mounting of ISO standard accessories in addition to some dedicated flash accessories that fit directly.

Old 04-06-2018   #19
back alley
IMAGES

i'll take a few shots over the weekend and post them here to help id the model.

Old 04-06-2018   #20
Mackinaw
Think Different

Quote:
i'll take a few shots over the weekend and post them here to help id the model.
What's the serial number? If it's above 500,000, you have a F-1n (second generation model). If it less than 500,000, you have a first generation F-1.

If there's no film in the camera, look at the date code stamped in ink in the film cassette chamber. That will tell you the year and month it was made.

Jim B.

My RFF Gallery:

Old 04-06-2018   #21
back alley
IMAGES

Quote:
What's the serial number? If it's above 500,000, you have a F-1n (second generation model). If it less than 500,000, you have a first generation F-1.

If there's no film in the camera, look at the date code stamped in ink in the film cassette chamber. That will tell you the year and month it was made.

Jim B.
i will check all that when i get home.

Old 04-06-2018   #22
Roger Hicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald M View Post
Marty Foresher ran a very pro oriented camera repair business in New York City. First class ++ all the way.

He referred to Pro Nikons and Canons as "buit like a hockey puck." . . . .
Not exactly. I spent quite a few happy hours with Marty Forscher (not Foresher) and he certainly said that Nikon Fs were built like hockey pucks, but I never heard him say the same about other Nikons or any Canons, nor have I seen references to his saying this.

As for breaking a Pentax lens by dropping it 18 inches onto your bed, all I can say is that you must have been very unlucky indeed. Pentaxes were quite widely used professionally in the early 60s, before Canon learned how to make professional SLRs.

Many reckoned too that Pentax quality declined when they moved factories in about '67. I started to work professionally as an assistant in the 1970s and people I worked with (up to 30 years older than I) certainly didn't regard screw-mount Pentaxes as "consumer junk".

Cheers,

R.

Old 04-06-2018   #23
Dogman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwig View Post
Actually, the original F-1 and its tweaked "n" updated brother had "hot shoes", just not ISO standard shoes. Like the Nikon F & F2 they had a shoe at the base of the rewind with an electrical contact(s). By putting it there it could be screwed solidly to the body casting ("hockey puck" school of camera design). Both Nikon and Canon sold adapters for their proprietary shoes that would allow mounting of ISO standard accessories in addition to some dedicated flash accessories that fit directly.
The only downside to this placement of the hot shoe is that it prevents verification that the film is loaded properly and is being transported properly. That rotating rewind dial confirmed this at a glance. When you couldn't see it, you could be in for a surprise. Please don't ask me how I know this.

Old 04-06-2018   #24
peterm1

May I correct the title of this thread to "Canon f1....heavy.....and beautiful"

Old 04-06-2018   #25
Roger Hicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterm1 View Post
May I correct the title of this thread to "Canon f1....heavy.....and beautiful"
Dear Peter,

Well, if you're going to be like that, why not make it "..heavy.....and beautiful . . . and not as reliable as a Nikon F (because almost nothing is).

All of my Fs work fine. My only F1 intermittently refuses to acknowledge the existence of slow speeds.

Cheers,

R.

Old 04-06-2018   #26
drew.saunders

Original F-1: http://global.canon/en/c-museum/product/film78.html (max ISO 2000)
F-1 "later model" (often called F-1n, but not by Canon): http://global.canon/en/c-museum/product/film95.html (max ISO 3200)
New F-1 (often called F-1N, but also not by Canon): http://global.canon/en/c-museum/product/film105.html

I've had an F-1 "later model" and New F-1. The older one was great, but having to find mercury batteries was a problem (and the original owner had jammed their thumb into the titanium shutter, which didn't bother the shutter, but it might eventually fail), so I moved to a New F-1. I liked shutter priority AE, but it just didn't feel as simple or solid as the older one. The prism-top hot shoe thing adaptor for the old F-1 was a bother to deal with.

Old 04-06-2018   #27
back alley
IMAGES

pretty sure that this one is mine...http://global.canon/en/c-museum/product/film78.html

Old 04-06-2018   #28
Nokton48

I had two original F1's with the MF Motor Drives, mine were refurbished "Olympic" models Canon had loaned out to Pros during the Olympics a few years earlier. Mine came from "Swallens" in Cincinnati I guess they bought a big lot of "Olympic" stuff from Canon. Later on I worked for a couple of years in the Swallens camera department, we carried an impressive amount of pro quality gear. Also their pro audio department was similarly impressive. They had all the biggest names in the business.

Now I have two Minolta SRM's which are similar in heft and size.

Old 04-06-2018   #29
raid
Dad Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew.saunders View Post
Original F-1: http://global.canon/en/c-museum/product/film78.html (max ISO 2000)
F-1 "later model" (often called F-1n, but not by Canon): http://global.canon/en/c-museum/product/film95.html (max ISO 3200)
New F-1 (often called F-1N, but also not by Canon): http://global.canon/en/c-museum/product/film105.html

I've had an F-1 "later model" and New F-1. The older one was great, but having to find mercury batteries was a problem (and the original owner had jammed their thumb into the titanium shutter, which didn't bother the shutter, but it might eventually fail), so I moved to a New F-1. I liked shutter priority AE, but it just didn't feel as simple or solid as the older one. The prism-top hot shoe thing adaptor for the old F-1 was a bother to deal with.

I have an F1n and two F1N bodies. I have sold my motordrive. These cameras are rock solid (they weight as much as a large rock)!

For many years my lenses were limited to a 50/1.4 plus 80-200/4 plus 28-50/2.8, and an "exotic" 24mm/2.8 wide angle lens. It was a wonderful set for travel.

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 04-06-2018   #30
Saul
fighting inertia

I have the Thorium (sp?) 35mm mounted on my F-1n.
A great "pre-filtered" lens for B/W!

Old 04-06-2018   #31
raid
Dad Photographer

Has that "Canon Glow" in the dark!

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 04-06-2018   #32
Steve M.

I used to shoot one w/ a FD 135 2.5 lens (the "beer can", and a very, very good lens). When I would hand it off to admirers, they all said the same thing...wow, it looked heavy, but it's even heavier than it looks!

Old 04-06-2018   #33
charjohncarter

The Canon F-1 weighs 795 gms, body only, the new F-1 with a f 1.4 is 1030 gms. So heavy; my Spotmatic from 1969 weigh 642 gms body only. But size (and a little bit weight) was the sales killer for me.

But the Canon 5D iii weighs 950 gms so maybe the F-1 felt light by comparison.

Old 04-06-2018   #34
Timmyjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nokton48 View Post
I had two original F1's with the MF Motor Drives, mine were refurbished "Olympic" models Canon had loaned out to Pros during the Olympics a few years earlier. Mine came from "Swallens" in Cincinnati I guess they bought a big lot of "Olympic" stuff from Canon. Later on I worked for a couple of years in the Swallens camera department, we carried an impressive amount of pro quality gear. Also their pro audio department was similarly impressive. They had all the biggest names in the business.
OMG I bought my first "real" camera at Swallens in Cincinnati, at the Tri-County Shopping center in 1976, a Canon TX. That's the camera I started amassing lenses for which eventually led to the purchase of the F1.

Small world.

Best,
-Tim

Old 04-06-2018   #35
Spavinaw

The flash coupler/adapters for the F-1 and F-1n all slip around the rewind knob. Model D had a simple hot shoe. Model L had a hot shoe and a light for the meter in the viewfinder. Model F also attached at the base of the rewind knob, but the hot shoe was positioned on top of the prism. It's bracket also attached around the finder eyepiece.

Old 04-06-2018   #36
Mackinaw
Think Different

Quote:
pretty sure that this one is mine...http://global.canon/en/c-museum/product/film78.html
You can supply a serial number?

Jim B.

My RFF Gallery:

Old 04-06-2018   #37
mdg137

I recently picked up a new old stock F1n.
I grew up admiring my dad’s ever present FTb, and I lusted for the top of the line beast.
Surprisingly, shutter speeds are dead on. Light seals and mirror foam need some attention, but I picked up replacements.

Maybe I'm just different................
Old 04-06-2018   #38
Tim Murphy

Maybe I'm just different................

Dear backalley,

But I don't see the Canon F-1 as heavy?

I obviously did this before I started typing, but I held in one hand a Canon F-1n with the power winder F and a 28-80 zoom. In the other hand I held a Nikon 8008S with a 24-135 zoom.

If they differ in weight by more than 2 or 3 ounces I'll be amazed. I swear the Nikon 8008S body weighs as much as a Canon EOS 1DMK3, body for body.

I shoot wildlife pictures almost exclusively. I'm used to a 150-600 zoom hanging off my digital bodies. I'm sure my Canon F-1n with the motor drive MF and my Vivitar 120-600 weighs more than my Canon EOS 1DMK3 with a the 150-600. However, neither feel crippling to me.

It might help that I'm a gigantic Neanderthal but I grew up with an F-1 so it will always be the standard by which I judge when comparing camera's weight and dimensions.

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Harrisburg, PA
Then they wrote it all down as the progress of man.

Old 04-06-2018   #39
back alley
IMAGES

Quote:
You can supply a serial number?

Jim B.

Old 04-06-2018   #40
back alley
IMAGES

Quote:

Jim B.
code is p639