Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > Zeiss Contax

Zeiss Contax Forum for the classic Zeiss Contax I, II, III, IIa, IIIa , G series, and if you want to push it, the nice Contax point and shoots. Some spill over from the Kievs, the Soviet copy of the Contax II/III can also be expected. Plus the ONLY production camera ever made in classic Zeiss Contax Rangefinder mount WITH TTL metering ... the Voigtlander Bessa R2C.

GA-1 Adapter with long lenses.
Old 02-23-2018   #1
PaulCooper

GA-1 Adapter with long lenses.

I use the G system quite often. sometimes, though I miss the long reach lens with my G2, to isolate detail. Anybody had some experience with longer lenses with GA-1 adapter on G camera?

Old 02-24-2018   #2
Bill Jones
Contax Lens User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulCooper View Post
I use the G system quite often. sometimes, though I miss the long reach lens with my G2, to isolate detail. Anybody had some experience with longer lenses with GA-1 adapter on G camera?
Paul,

It's not worth it. I've have had the adapter for the past 20 years and use it rarely. It only works with C/Y lenses whose filter diameter is 55mm or less.
Also larger lenses block the rangefinder as do most Contax lens hoods on 55mm filter size lenses.

This leaves you only the C/Y Sonnars f2.8 85mm (the G's f 2.8 90mm is better) and f2.8 135mm, for "longer" lenses.

The viewfinder will not show the field of view for the lens so you need an auxiliary viewfinder with the matching focal length view in the shoe. Same as we use on the old Contax rf cameras.

It works in manual focus only. Also a typical rf camera range finder is focus challanged by any lens longer than 135mm and by 135mm f2.8's.

Bill Jones

Last edited by Bill Jones : 02-24-2018 at 13:11. Reason: omission

Old 02-24-2018   #3
f16sunshine

Years ago, I checked it out in the shop when I had a G1 and already a full stable of C/Y SLR kit.
Was not worth the effort for the way I use Longer focal lengths (Portraits, details).
Scale focus for 85-200mm on 135 format...??
The C/Y reflex bodies do a better job with those C/Y lenses.
Today C/Y bodies are inexpensive making them an even better option for those great lenses.

Old 02-24-2018   #4
PaulCooper

Thanks. I think I'll abstain.