Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Fuji X Series > Fuji X Series

xe3 amazing little camera
Old 02-08-2018   #1
back alley
IMAGES

xe3 amazing little camera

i am loving this camera the more that i use it.
it's nice and small yet feels comfortable in the hand no matter which lens is mounted on it. i have used the 55-200 with the same ease as the 27! honestly...
i do have a third party grip on it but that only makes it more comfortable...but the camera does not require a thumb rest or even a soft touch shutter button...
i carry it every day and everywhere i go...with the 27 mounted it looks like a toy and has to be the least threatening camera out there.

Old 02-08-2018   #2
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

"365" is the proof of it!

But honestly, I like every small camera ever made with VF in the corner.

Old 02-08-2018   #3
Darthfeeble
But you can call me Steve

I got the factory grip when I got mine and like you, it's a constant companion with either the 27 or mostly the 18.

Old 02-08-2018   #4
dp13

Ditto on the factory grip...makes a nice difference for my hands... as did programming ISO to the rear dial. I use the 18/2, 23/2, or the 35/2 mostly on it for a very nice small street kit. Love the joystick! Seems like the poor man's X-Pro2.

Edit... wish they had left the flash and the D-pad from the X-E2s in it.

Old 02-08-2018   #5
back alley
IMAGES

i don't miss the d-pad at all...the joystick does most things easily and with extra thumb room. sometimes i put the tiny supplied flash on the body and hardly know it's there.

Old 02-08-2018   #6
j.scooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko.Fe. View Post

Plus 1
Really enjoying the 365, keep it up

Old 02-08-2018   #7
back alley
IMAGES

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.scooter View Post
Plus 1
Really enjoying the 365, keep it up
thanks!

Old 02-08-2018   #8
back alley
IMAGES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko.Fe. View Post

But honestly, I like every small camera ever made with VF in the corner.
thanks...i also like small cameras especially the older i get!

Old 02-08-2018   #9
Archlich

Sold my XE-3, bought a X-Pro2 and regretted. I strongly feel the former is the better camera, despite its slightly more plastic build quality.

Old 02-08-2018   #10
Jamie Pillers
Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archlich View Post
Sold my XE-3, bought a X-Pro2 and regretted. I strongly feel the former is the better camera, despite its slightly more plastic build quality.
Curious why. Can you tell us more? Thanks.

Fuji X-H1; X-Pro1; XF10; Polaroid 250 (waiting for an 'art' project)

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Old 02-08-2018   #11
fireblade
Vincenzo.

Some tog blogger on youtube says with the same image quality as the XPro2, it is way better value.

Edit:... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjCjp-6lhcA&t=320s

"No place is boring, if you've had a good night's sleep and have a pocket full of unexposed film."

Old 02-08-2018   #12
Archlich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Pillers View Post
Curious why. Can you tell us more? Thanks.
Having used both the X100F and X-Pro2, I found the OVF to be redundant. You blame yourself and try to compensate for parallax manually when shooting with a M, but you know the camera could do better when using an X. I understand it's the defining feature of the X cameras, but the sophistication they managed with the finder just doesn't appeal to me (they used to look really nice on paper, until I spent time with one). I feel I'm the type that would fall in love with a simpified EVF-only X100.

The X-E3 is smaller, has Bluetooth (not very useful for now) and USB charging (a deal breaker for me). The EVF is marginally larger than the X-Pro2's.

The X-E3 ergonmoics is further down the evolutionary road, while the X-Pro2 still carries traits from previous X cameras. The shallow Q and AF-L button on the thumb rest and the hard-to-press rear dial could testify to this.

Being weather sealed, the X-Pro2 does have superior build quality - my X-E3 would squeak with the front panel being pressed hard and its operations feel (more precisely, sound) less snappy than the flagship. But again it's so much cheaper, smaller and lighter...

It's like comparing the Nikon F100 to the F5. In the end I sold all and bought a Q (which I sold quickly as well, but that's another story). I think I'd get a X-T2 so I have a complete story to tell...

Old 02-09-2018   #13
willie_901

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireblade View Post
Some tog blogger on youtube says with the same image quality as the XPro2, it is way better value.

Yes, all aspects for rendering IQ will be essentially identical for both cameras. Most importantly, they both use dual, conversion-gain sensor technology.

However value propositions are highly subjective since we value different things. I paid extra for the X-Pro 2 because I value using the OVF/virtual rangefinder. I paid a premium for the X100T (compared to a XE-2 with the 27mm lens) for the same reason.
Basically, I mean, ah—well, let’s say that for me anyway when a photograph is interesting, it’s interesting because of the kind of photographic problem it states—which has to do with the . . . contest between content and form.
Garry Winogrand
williamchuttonjr.com

Old 02-09-2018   #14
JoeLopez

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireblade View Post

"Some tog blogger"
Ted puts out some great content

Other gear: Minolta X-570, Nikon F3/T, N90s & D750, Fuji X100T
Nikkor 50mm f1.8, 28mm f2.8 E, Voigtlander 40mm f/2.0 Ultron SL, Minolta 45mm f2 & 50mm f1.7

My Flickr | My ebay | Instagram

Old 02-09-2018   #15
fireblade
Vincenzo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeLopez View Post
"Some tog blogger"
Ted puts out some great content
lol...that's him.
Yes, he does.

"No place is boring, if you've had a good night's sleep and have a pocket full of unexposed film."

Old 02-09-2018   #16
benlees

Probably better off comparing the x-e3 with the Sony a6300/6500 than the X pro2...

Old 02-09-2018   #17
Requin

What about the xe-3 picture quality?

Old 02-09-2018   #18
Brian Atherton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requin View Post
It has the same sensor as the X-Pro2 and X-T2 etc. Job done.

"Maintenant, mon ami !"
http://www.asingulareye.wordpress.com

Old 02-10-2018   #19
willie_901

Quote:
What precisely is your concern?
Basically, I mean, ah—well, let’s say that for me anyway when a photograph is interesting, it’s interesting because of the kind of photographic problem it states—which has to do with the . . . contest between content and form.
Garry Winogrand
williamchuttonjr.com

Old 02-10-2018   #20
Dogman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archlich View Post
Having used both the X100F and X-Pro2, I found the OVF to be redundant...
Actually it's the EVF of the X100 and XPro that are redundant for me. I never use it.

I've grown to like EVF in other Fuji models for some purposes but the OVFs of the X100 and XPro models is the reason I own and use those cameras.

Why buy a camera with an OVF when you want an EVF? There are Fujis with EVFs that have the same image quality and almost the same handling characteristics.

Old 02-11-2018   #21
Requin

My concern is colour reproduction compared to DSLR cameras like Canon or Nikon with a 24 MP sensor.

Old 02-11-2018   #22
Dogman

Quote:
My concern is colour reproduction compared to DSLR cameras like Canon or Nikon with a 24 MP sensor.

???

Old 02-11-2018   #23
jsrockit

Quote:
Specific concern?

Old 02-11-2018   #24
willie_901

Quote:
One of FUJIFILM's business groups develops and manufactures color-filter array film materials (link). I assume they use the highest quality materials in their cameras and fully leverage their technical expertise to optimize in-camera JPEG color rendering algorithms.

This could be why in-camera JPEG color rendering is perceived as one of FUJIFILM's strengths. Comparison with other brands is highly subjective. I don't use in-camera JPEGs, so I can't say anything else.

The potential for raw-file color rendering is high. I find the raw files to be flexible. Specifics depend highly on the software platform use to render the images. While I happen to be pleased with the 24 MP, Trans-III's raw-file color rendering. However, my post-production color rendering workflow and parameter choices are very different than I used with Nikon.
Garry Winogrand
williamchuttonjr.com

Old 02-11-2018   #25
Requin

Tell me more, willie plz

Old 02-11-2018   #26
Archlich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogman View Post
Actually it's the EVF of the X100 and XPro that are redundant for me. I never use it.

I've grown to like EVF in other Fuji models for some purposes but the OVFs of the X100 and XPro models is the reason I own and use those cameras.

Why buy a camera with an OVF when you want an EVF? There are Fujis with EVFs that have the same image quality and almost the same handling characteristics.
"Why buy a camera with an OVF when you want an EVF?" That's an excellent question. Personally - it's because I didn't know. Having shot with rangefinders for years and had never used a (modern) EVF before, I went without hesitation for the cameras that have the OVF, and found instead the EVF do work well after all.

The same question applies to the maker. Why MAKE the camera that have BOTH if you only want one, so we end up with redundant features like the EVF (in your case) or the OVF (in my case)? Like I said before, I'd happily buy a X100 with only the EVF (and had bought the Q, the closest thing); I'd also buy maybe two copies if they'd ever make a X100 with only the OVF. Knowing it's not gonna happen any time sooner, I ended up with some M and a Hexar - no complain on those whatsoever.

I wish (vainly, I know) as the X100 and X-Pro cameras carry the defining character of the X series, they could come with more characteristics, be more eccentric, and focused. Like how the Nikon Df should have been - a real digital FM, not just the styling. Not the hybrid something (hats off to their effort though) that couldn't decide which way it should go. I mean Fuji already have the do-it-all X-T for the working pros right?

Old 03-25-2018   #27
jsrockit

Ok, I’ve done a 180 on this camera. I think I will sell my X-T2 and get one. All in with RF shaped bodies.

Old 03-25-2018   #28
taemo

^on the fence of jumping back to Fuji again, especially the X-E3.
have a XC 16-50 II on its way and Joe's X-E1.

Debating on selling my Loxia 21mm to fund a X-E3 and maybe a XF 23mm for my digital need, will be keeping the A7 for my FF need with my legacy lenses.

Old 03-25-2018   #29
back alley
IMAGES

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
Ok, I’ve done a 180 on this camera. I think I will sell my X-T2 and get one. All in with RF shaped bodies.
suprising...i look forward to hearing your impressions.

X-e3
Old 03-25-2018   #30
tajart

X-e3

I had a chance to handle one in the store a couple weeks back, with the grip. I was thoroughly impressed with it in hand.

Old 03-25-2018   #31
tbhv55

Quote:
Interesting... care to explain why? Is it only the RF shape, or is there something more to it than that?

Old 03-26-2018   #32
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by back alley View Post
suprising...i look forward to hearing your impressions.
You know my current deal... could be months! ;(

Old 03-26-2018   #33
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbhv55 View Post
Interesting... care to explain why? Is it only the RF shape, or is there something more to it than that?
Hmmm, nothing more than emotional feelings really. I prefer the X-Pro2 and X100F to the X-T2 ... the 3 cameras I currently use. I'd like a small ICL body, so that leaves me with the X-T20 or X-E3. The X-T20 just feels like a smaller X-T2 and I kind of fell in love with the simplicity of the X-E3 back. I just prefer my cameras to be shaped like a bar of soap... I hate grips. The X-H1 is the wrong direction for me... its release made me realize what I want from Fuji even more.

Old 03-26-2018   #34
back alley
IMAGES

Quote:
You know my current deal... could be months! ;(
i have time...

Old 03-26-2018   #35
Dogman

I have a question for those who have the X-E3 as well as the XT models--X-T1 and/or X-T2. Please advise on the size of the image and brightness and sharpness of the image in the EVF of the X-E3 in comparison. Has the EVF improved over the previous cameras in the XE series?

I was never very hot on EVFs until I bought an X-T1. The size, the sharpness, the brightness and the overall look of things through it sold me on EVF utility. I have an X-E2S that I keep as a backup for my main X-Pro1 cameras. I don't use the X-E2S much because the EVF is nowhere nearly as bright and sharp as that in the X-T1 and I prefer the X-T1 for that reason.

Old 03-26-2018   #36
tbhv55

Quote:
Hmmm, nothing more than emotional feelings really. I prefer the X-Pro2 and X100F to the X-T2 ... the 3 cameras I currently use. I'd like a small ICL body, so that leaves me with the X-T20 or X-E3. The X-T20 just feels like a smaller X-T2 and I kind of fell in love with the simplicity of the X-E3 back. I just prefer my cameras to be shaped like a bar of soap... I hate grips. The X-H1 is the wrong direction for me... its release made me realize what I want from Fuji even more.
Thanks - I agree. I'm finding that the "simplicity" thing is playing an increasing role in my approach.

However, it seems that many (most?) manufacturers are stuck on the track of more-and-more features. I presume that they see it as the best - perhaps, only - way to grab their share of the market.

Old 03-26-2018   #37
f16sunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogman View Post
I have a question for those who have the X-E3 as well as the XT models--X-T1 and/or X-T2. Please advise on the size of the image and brightness and sharpness of the image in the EVF of the X-E3 in comparison. Has the EVF improved over the previous cameras in the XE series?

I was never very hot on EVFs until I bought an X-T1. The size, the sharpness, the brightness and the overall look of things through it sold me on EVF utility. I have an X-E2S that I keep as a backup for my main X-Pro1 cameras. I don't use the X-E2S much because the EVF is nowhere nearly as bright and sharp as that in the X-T1 and I prefer the X-T1 for that reason.
I'm curious to hear feedback on this topic as well.

The Xt1/2 has that higher VF magnification which really can't be beat if that's what one is looking for.
If only XE3 had it as well !

Old 03-27-2018   #38
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbhv55 View Post
However, it seems that many (most?) manufacturers are stuck on the track of more-and-more features. I presume that they see it as the best - perhaps, only - way to grab their share of the market.
Yeah, there is a huge segment of the market who want pure specs even if they do not use them... if they don't have them, they feel that the purchase is inadequate. Go to a forum like dpreview and its full of people upset that a particular camera doesn't have a particular little feature. Also, they compare every camera to the perceived king of the mountain (which changes every time a new high end camera is released)...it is tiring. As if photography couldn't have been done with equipment from 5 years ago, now people NEED 42mp and F1.2 lenses that are SHARP.

The other side of the coin is those that are upset that last years model is no longer the king of cameras and has depreciated by half. Makes you wonder if they use the camera...or just talk about it.

Old 03-27-2018   #39
doitashimash1te

Quote:
The other side of the coin is those that are upset that last years model is no longer the king of cameras and has depreciated by half. Makes you wonder if they use the camera...or just talk about it.
I totally agree.

Old 03-27-2018   #40
tbhv55

Quote:
Yeah, there is a huge segment of the market who want pure specs even if they do not use them... if they don't have them, they feel that the purchase is inadequate. Go to a forum like dpreview and its full of people upset that a particular camera doesn't have a particular little feature. Also, they compare every camera to the perceived king of the mountain (which changes every time a new high end camera is released)...it is tiring. As if photography couldn't have been done with equipment from 5 years ago, now people NEED 42mp and F1.2 lenses that are SHARP.
I completely agree... and "tiring" is a good word to describe dpreview. I'd had enough of it, a long time ago, and I'd almost forgotten that it exists.