Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > TLR Forum - Twin Lens Reflex

TLR Forum - Twin Lens Reflex another alternative to the dreaded SLR way of seeing, this forum for all format TLR cameras

CiroFlex ground glass dim/Replacement?
Old 01-18-2018   #1
dave lackey

CiroFlex ground glass dim/Replacement?

Well, it seems that I am enjoying a little break from the pace we set last Spring. Eschewing the digital world for a little bit, I am having fun with my remaining film cameras using Double X!

A few days ago, I took the CiroFlex viewfinder off and pulled the ground glass to clean it and also, I cleaned the fogged mirror and the lens. It is still half as bright as my Hassy 503cxi, though.

Indoors, it is barely possible to focus so I tried a spare Hassy screen and it brightened it up so much, I was quite excited. However, the focus needs the screen to sit higher, much higher, like 1/8" or 3/16" or more above the original screen. I am not opposed to using the Hassy screen with its smaller footprint, but shimming is not something I am experience with...

So, is there a source for a new ground glass screen that would replace the one in my CiroFlex? The camera takes great pictures (when I remember to wind on after taking a shot!). It would be cool to be able to use it as it fits in my Billingham Leica bag perfectly and is light, light, light!

Any ideas are appreciated in advance!

Dave

Old 01-18-2018   #2
charjohncarter

I have problems with these viewfinders too. I got a bright new one for $80 from Rick Oleson. It was for my Rollei, I also bought one from him for my Ricoh Diacord G. You might check his website to see if he has one for your CiroFlex. I like a split screen finder but he didn't have one for either of my cameras.

http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-175.html

Old 01-18-2018   #3
dave lackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by charjohncarter View Post
I have problems with these viewfinders too. I got a bright new one for $80 from Rick Oleson. It was for my Rollei, I also bought one from him for my Ricoh Diacord G. You might check his website to see if he has one for your CiroFlex. I like a split screen finder but he didn't have one for either of my cameras.

http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-175.html
Cool! Interesting and yes, I will check with him!

Thanks so much!

Dave

Old 01-18-2018   #4
f16sunshine

The mamiya “A” screen for rb/rz67 is excellent.
It’s thin and so can be shimmed to focus perfectly on most tlr’s with a few strips of tape.
The screen is for a 6x7 making it a large enough piece of stock to get any 6x6 focus screen from.
Just trim it to fit and use your old GG on the film gate to match focus perfectly (tutorials online).
Ricks Screens are bright but I find them a bit too coarse for critical focus.
My eyes are shot too so take that with some salt.
Many like the screens from RO very much.

Old 01-18-2018   #5
dave lackey

Email sent to Rick!

Thanks!

Dave

Old 01-18-2018   #6
dave lackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by f16sunshine View Post
The mamiya ďAĒ screen for rb/rz67 is excellent.
Itís thin and so can be shimmed to focus perfectly on most tlrís with a few strips of tape.
The screen is for a 6x7 making it a large enough piece of stock to get any 6x6 focus screen from.
Just trim it to fit and use your old GG on the film gate to match focus perfectly (tutorials online).
Ricks Screens are bright but I find them a bit too coarse for critical focus.
My eyes are shot too so take that with some salt.
Many like the screens from RO very much.
Thanks, Andy! Having fun today playing around, but I really would prefer a Rolleiflex, LOL!!

Dave

Old 01-18-2018   #7
Pentode

In my Ciroflex I found that the silvering on the mirror was deteriorating and found a replacement on Ebay for $7. It made the viewfinder image much brighter.

As far as focus adjustment is concerned, the viewing lens on mine is easily adjusted to correct focus; a simple locking ring and a threaded lens mount. I expect there’s more than enough travel there to compensate for a different focus screen thickness.

Old 01-18-2018   #8
dave lackey

Update:

Rick emailed some information back and YES! he can supply a screen for the CiroFlex. Reasonable prices, IMO...

For now, I got the Hassy screen in, focus dialed in as best I can do indoors at night and it will do for awhile. Tomorrow, I will fine tune the focus in the sunlight.

One problem, the screen needs to be fixed semi-permanently in the WLF. There is no provision for the screen to use the original spring retainers because the original ground glass is on 1mm thick. Right now I have it taped in.

Maybe I can use some window caulk/permatex/etc. but I am looking for hacking ideas.

Update 2: The focusing is really nice with the Hassy screen...however, there is just no good way to fix it in place. So, after discussions with Rick, I shall now proceed to set up a slush fund to buy a brightscreen from him... Not too hard to do with PBJ sandwiches and water for a month! LOL.... I just put the old ground glass back in (minus a stupid spring I lost in the process) and will go shoot a few rolls. The camera really does have a nice lens and if it warms up I will see just how nice after too long a sabbatical.

Dave

Old 01-19-2018   #9
Fixcinater
Never enough smoky peat

While you are saving up, I'd recommend buying a new mirror on eBay. It has made a significant difference even in cameras that seemed to have a fine mirror. Less hazy view, better contrast and brighter.

Old 01-19-2018   #10
dave lackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixcinater View Post
While you are saving up, I'd recommend buying a new mirror on eBay. It has made a significant difference even in cameras that seemed to have a fine mirror. Less hazy view, better contrast and brighter.
Yeah, good point...and a new spring! Thanks!

Dave

Old 01-19-2018   #11
dave lackey

I found this on ebay for replacement mirrors of all types:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Standard-TL...4383.l4275.c10

Dave

Old 01-19-2018   #12
dave lackey

...just finished a roll of HP5... that was fun!

TriX next and then I will get my chemicals out, check the dates and refresh next week. I am motivated to develop some film after our redneck "blizzard" in these parts (3" snow) shut down everything for two days, LOL..... I have cabin fever!

Dave

Old 01-19-2018   #13
Fixcinater
Never enough smoky peat

That's the vendor I have used for my mirrors. He's very good with communication so you can make sure he knows what the mirror is going into, he might have the exact shape.

Old 01-19-2018   #14
dave lackey

Quote:
That's the vendor I have used for my mirrors. He's very good with communication so you can make sure he knows what the mirror is going into, he might have the exact shape.
One question, how does one actually remove the existing mirror? I forgot to look at that with the WLF off!

Dave

Old 01-20-2018   #15
Fixcinater
Never enough smoky peat

I used this site, everything not covered is pretty self-explanatory.

http://pheugo.com/cameras/index.php?page=ciroflex

The one I worked on (for my friend) needed internal viewing lens cleaning as well as removing the funky haze that had built up on the exterior of the rear element. I did the lens cleaning first, checked the view and it made quite a large difference.

It also needed the shutter cleaned (ran slow and stuck at slow speeds), the taking lens cleaned, the focus cam de-greased and re-lubed, the winding knob cleaned and re-greased. Basically everything that site said it might need, it needed.

Nice cam after the work, if I was just starting in TLRs and wasn't sure if I'd like it, I'd definitely seek one out. So simple and straightforward.

Old 01-20-2018   #16
dave lackey

Quote:
I used this site, everything not covered is pretty self-explanatory.

http://pheugo.com/cameras/index.php?page=ciroflex

The one I worked on (for my friend) needed internal viewing lens cleaning as well as removing the funky haze that had built up on the exterior of the rear element. I did the lens cleaning first, checked the view and it made quite a large difference.

It also needed the shutter cleaned (ran slow and stuck at slow speeds), the taking lens cleaned, the focus cam de-greased and re-lubed, the winding knob cleaned and re-greased. Basically everything that site said it might need, it needed.

Nice cam after the work, if I was just starting in TLRs and wasn't sure if I'd like it, I'd definitely seek one out. So simple and straightforward.
Maybe I am missing it... is the mirror glued or screwed down somehow?

Dave