Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Image Processing: Darkroom / Lightroom / Film > Photo Software

Photo Software Discussions of all the photo software - except scanning software which is in the forum with scanners.

Adding Film Metadata In Lightroom 6
Old 12-20-2017   #1
Moto Mark

Adding Film Metadata In Lightroom 6

Right up front I think there's not a way to do what I'm after but here goes...

I've got back into shooting film recently and have been scanning my negatives and editing them in Lightroom (version 6.14). I would like to add the camera/ lens and exposure info, similar to my field notes, to the metadata when I import the images.

I've gone into the presets panel in LR but there's not a category that fits what I'm after.

The workaround I have come up with is to create a template in Text Edit and copy/paste the info to the 'Caption' section of each image after they are imported. That works, and the metadata stays with the image when they leave LR, but it there another way that I can use that's a bit more automated ?

Does anyone else have a similar situation I'm in ?

Old 12-20-2017   #2
Doug

I use Marc Rochkind's little Mac application ExifChanger. It can edit the EXIF metadata in the image file, and is able to do this on a batch basis as well as individual files.
http://basepath.com/new/detail-ExifChanger.php

Old 12-20-2017   #3
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
I use Marc Rochkind's little Mac application ExifChanger. It can edit the EXIF metadata in the image file, and is able to do this on a batch basis as well as individual files.
That looks very useful! Thanks!

Old 12-20-2017   #4
Moto Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
That looks very promising, I’m going to check it out.

Old 12-20-2017   #5
shimokita
白黒

I am using 'ExifTool', in my case on a windows platform in command mode (line editor). Works in batch mode and I have set up some command lines for common edits.

Old 12-21-2017   #6
willie_901

Why not use keywords? Keywords can be exported in XMP sidecars. With OS X I see the keywords in the IPTC fields for exported JPEG files. There is no separate XMP file.

Or, under IPTC you could use (repurpose) the "Categories" and "Other Categories" Fields.
Basically, I mean, ah—well, let’s say that for me anyway when a photograph is interesting, it’s interesting because of the kind of photographic problem it states—which has to do with the . . . contest between content and form.
Garry Winogrand
williamchuttonjr.com

Old 12-21-2017   #7
j.scooter

I use keywords on import to my main machine. When I copy the files to my backup drive the keywords do not transfer over. But I am probably doing something wrong....
I would like to have the keyword data become exif data. Will look at the options above.

Old 06-20-2018   #8
webOSUser

There is an ExifToolGUI that I have found to be useful. It is a GUI frontend to ExifTool that is easy for me to use.

Steve W

Old 06-20-2018   #9
jbhthescots

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.scooter View Post
I use keywords on import to my main machine. When I copy the files to my backup drive the keywords do not transfer over. But I am probably doing something wrong....
I would like to have the keyword data become exif data. Will look at the options above.

To keep the keywords, you first need to create in Lightroom a catalogue and regularly update it - then, if needed on a new machine or HD, you can unpack it along with the photos and everything will be there. Works for me - but there may be an easier way someone else knows of.