Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Leicas and other Leica Mount Cameras > Leica M -- Leica CL / Minolta CLE - Film

Leica M -- Leica CL / Minolta CLE - Film This forum is about all things Leica CL and Minolta CLE, remarkable compact M film cameras

Anyone Try This 7Artisans 50mm f/1.1?
Old 12-17-2017   #1
the.ronin

Anyone Try This 7Artisans 50mm f/1.1?

Link to thread in the lenses forum: click here

I've currently got a Summi 40, 90mm Elmar, and CV 21mm and I really wouldn't mind getting a fast lens with at least some capability for indoor shots. Just can't get decent low light shots with the lenses I have (maybe with the 40 if I'm lucky).

Curious if anyone's used this on their CL and how they feel about it?

Old 12-18-2017   #2
jbharrill1

I was really curious about this a while back as well and the conclusion I came to is that yes it will mount on the cl body but thats about it. The lens is too big and will block the rangefinder window making it almost impossible to focus (maybe zone focus if you absolutely had to.) Also the CL can't accurately focus 50mm with an aperture wider than 1.4 due to the short effective base length.

There is a web page somewhere showing the EBL's of most popular rangefinder bodies and when they become inaccurate with certain focal lengths. I'll try to find it, I know I just came across it a week or two ago on here.

Old 12-18-2017   #3
jbharrill1

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...QgY/edit#gid=0

Here she is. I guess it's not all popular rangefinder's but probably the ones that you would question. If it's red stay away is my understanding.

Old 12-18-2017   #4
Huss

It's too fat for the CL and CLE and will block the rf window.
Also, it is too deep for the CL and will collide with the meter stalk. Same reason why it cannot be used on the M5.

Old 12-18-2017   #5
Bille

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.ronin View Post
I've currently got a Summi 40, 90mm Elmar, and CV 21mm and I really wouldn't mind getting a fast lens with at least some capability for indoor shots.
Why not the Nokton 1.1? It doesnīt have a lot of character but itīs much faster than what you have and probably better in construction than this "7fartisans"...

Old 12-18-2017   #6
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bille View Post
Why not the Nokton 1.1? It doesnīt have a lot of character but itīs much faster than what you have and probably better in construction than this "7fartisans"...
I have both the Nokton 1.1 and the 7fartisans. You obviously have never used the 7fartisans, it is very nicely made, so much so that if you use it you will definitely get GASsy.
Either way, the Nokton 1.1 is even larger and will not fit. It completely blocks the rf finder.

Old 12-19-2017   #7
the.ronin

Yes, I had also come across some reading that said the CL rangefinder base made it ineffective beyond 50mm 1.8 I think it was. Too bad because I do like the pictures it captures at the price point.