Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > SLRs - the unRF

SLRs - the unRF For those of you who must talk about SLRs, if only to confirm they are not RF.

My D700 appears to have died.
Old 11-30-2017   #1
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

My D700 appears to have died.

Unbelievable .... I always assumed that this would be the last digital camera I would ever have trouble with but to day I picked it up to take a pic and the shutter jammed and the viewfinder went black and also showing error on the top LCD. Occasionally it bursts back into life for a few frames then locks up again and is getting worse the more I attempt to use it.

I'm gutted ... this is my go to camera that I always have nearby at home with a 24-120 zoom on it for photographing those unpredictable moments that seem to happen regularly around here. The thing wouldn't have much more than twenty thousand shutter actuations so I am somewhat surprised!

And probably not worth repairing I would imagine!

Old 11-30-2017   #2
Pioneer

Sorry to hear about your camera troubles. My Pentax Q serves exactly the same function and I would be equally lost without having it handy for those every day shots.

Hope you find a replacement.

It is almost as good as a fast horse!
Dan

Old 12-01-2017   #3
lynnb

You wouldn't expect this to happen with around 20k actuations Keith. Very disappointing. Is it insured, or perhaps covered in your home contents insurance?
Flickr

Old 12-01-2017   #4
Stelios

Weren't these rated for 150k frames?
Just speculating but Nikon could replace the shutter. Alternatively there are plenty of D700 out there, someone will have a spare shutter (assuming for the price, it's worth replacing). They are cheap at the moment. Mine (touch wood) has probably over 30k at the moment.

Old 12-01-2017   #5
Freakscene
Deregistered user

Get it fixed Keith - they are still on Nikon's pro repair list. I have one at work that has over 100k actuations and is still going fine, so it would be worth it unless the repair quote is more than another camera of equivalent condition.

Marty

Old 12-01-2017   #6
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnb View Post
You wouldn't expect this to happen with around 20k actuations Keith. Very disappointing. Is it insured, or perhaps covered in your home contents insurance?

No recourse ie insurance or similar unfortunately. It just seems to run out of power and the mirror stays up then it comes back to life a few seconds later and repeats the process. It's an old camera in many ways now and I do have my D4 so I'm not without a good DSLR ... but the size of the D700 was nice and the D4 is a bit of a behemoth as good as it is.

The thing did get pretty wet a couple of times a while ago so maybe that has been a factor. I can live without it but I was pretty attached to it having had it since they first came out many moons ago.

Old 12-01-2017   #7
michaelwj
----------------

If it got wet it's probably toast. As far as repair, a quick look online and you could probably pick up a used one for about A$500. A D700 still might be the last digital camera you own, maybe just not the first one you bought!

Old 12-01-2017   #8
zuikologist

Possibly a dud battery?

Old 12-01-2017   #9
Fraser

I would leave it without a battery for at least 24 hours then try it again with a fully charged original Nikon battery, you never know it may work.
good luck.

Old 12-01-2017   #10
JoeLopez

Good advice above. I would not expect insurance to cover this issue, unless it was dropped, damaged, etc.

Do you use third party batteries? Good tip above about charging up an OEM battery and trying again.

I'd certainly contact Nikon about sending it off to repair. Good used bodies seem to go for $750-$1000 or so depending on condition.

Other gear: Minolta X-570, Nikon F3/T, N90 & D7100, Fuji X100T
Nikkor 50mm f1.8, 28mm f2.8 E, Voigtlander 40mm f/2.0 Ultron SL, Minolta 45mm f2 & 50mm f1.7

My Flickr | My ebay | Instagram

Old 12-01-2017   #11
Bille

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post

And probably not worth repairing I would imagine!
Send it to Nikon and tell them you are disappointed with the shutter breaking at only 20k. Maybe they will replace it for free.

Old 12-01-2017   #12
Roel

I really love mine and i am still photographing marriages with two D700s. Would be really disappointed if these were to stop working.

Hope you get it fixed!

Old 12-01-2017   #13
splitimageview

Wait, what? oh by the way, it was dunked? Lol

Old 12-01-2017   #14
blumoon

Don't know if this would fix it, but have you tried reinstalling the up dated firmware.
I acquired a used Nikon D70 which was giving me the E (error). I reinstalled the firmware and it's been working fine.

Old 12-01-2017   #15
Timmyjoe

Sorry to hear about your D700 Keith. Up until last month I was using a D700 as part of my work kit. Picked it up in 2009. Every other year, during slow season, I'd send it in to Nikon for a check/tune-up. It did get caught in a rainstorm a couple years ago, and that caused a little fog on the rear screen, but it keeps chugging along. If you can afford it, and really love the camera, you might look into sending it to Nikon for a check.

You could also replace it with something like a D750, but I don't think the build of the D750 would match the old D700. Or you could use this as an excuse to save up for a D850, which would give you a major jump in megapixels.

Best,
-Tim

New Photo Books
Sturgis Stories
& Scenes From Sturgis
now available

Old 12-01-2017   #16
p.giannakis
Pan Giannakis

Quote:
Originally Posted by blumoon View Post
Don't know if this would fix it, but have you tried reinstalling the up dated firmware.
I acquired a used Nikon D70 which was giving me the E (error). I reinstalled the firmware and it's been working fine.
Try that. Worked with my old Coolpix 8400.

The Monochrome Archives
Instagram

Old 12-01-2017   #17
Rob-F
Likes Leicas

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitimageview View Post
Keith didn't say it was dunked. The D700 is said to have good weather sealing, I believe.

I like the suggestion to let it sit a while with the battery out. I cured a wet (dunked) Olympus Stylus film camera by sealing it in a ziplock bag with a lot of silicon desiccant packs. You know, the stuff you're not supposed to eat. I left it in there for a couple of weeks. When I put the battery back in, it worked.

Old 12-01-2017   #18
ozmoose

Keith, you should get a quote from your local reputable camera repair shop. This will cost you a few dollars but may well be worth it. Most good repair shops credit the quote fee to the repair job if you go with it, but even if you don't get the 'fix' you will at least know what ails your beloved D700.

If you decide to buy again, many good camera shops have low mileage D700s available at reasonable prices. Mine in Melbourne (Camera Lane in Hardware Lane, CBD, if any want to know) is highly reliable and recently had an as new D700 with about 15,000 on the mileage clock, for about A$800. I bought mine from them in 2012 and it has reached 175,000 exposures without needing any repair other than a quick clean to remove two spots from the shutter, which I had done in Singapore. When it finally bites the bullet, I will either buy another used D700 or go the whole hog on a new D610, which isn't really in the same league but appeals to me for nostalgic/sentimental reasons, as it may be my last DSLR in this lifetime.

I hope your D700 will return to life and give you good service for a long time to come, but if not, you have options galore.

Old 12-01-2017   #19
BillBingham2

Keith, sorry to hear but as Miracle Max said "... It just so happens that your friend here is only MOSTLY dead. There's a big difference between mostly dead and all dead."

I think the suggestions about battery, reloading firmware, letting her sit for a bit are all good. I'm wondering if there is a factory reset combination you could try.

Play a bit yourself before you send it in, a brand new OEM battery might be just the trick. Pull the memory cards and battery out, take the lens off and put on a plastic body cap while it sits. You never know which 1 has turned to 0 inside.

Keep us in loop and good luck.

B2 (;->

Old 12-01-2017   #20
02Pilot
Malcontent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob-F View Post
I like the suggestion to let it sit a while with the battery out. I cured a wet (dunked) Olympus Stylus film camera by sealing it in a ziplock bag with a lot of silicon desiccant packs. You know, the stuff you're not supposed to eat. I left it in there for a couple of weeks. When I put the battery back in, it worked.
If you don't happen to have desiccant packs lying around, the low-tech version is rice. A week or so in a bag of rice and any moisture will be long gone, no matter how deep it got.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

Old 12-01-2017   #21
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Keith,

Earlier this year I dropped off a Linhof for service at Nippon Camera Clinic. They are the factory authorized service center for Linhof currently.

While I was there I took notice that on the bill-Let-ton board I saw a Nikon recall, and I noticed an official Nikon recall notice for faulty shutter. As I remember I think it was for the D-700. I know for sure it was a recent Nikon digital camera that had the recall.

Check into this.

All the best.

Cal

Old 12-01-2017   #22
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Keith,

The shutter recall notice I saw likely was for the D750.

Not in the know of the differences between the cameras, but I surely would contact Nikon. If the official recall does not extend to your D700 I would still contact Nikon and plead for some "Good Will."

I would also peddle how active you are here online and are not only highly regarded, but also well known. Basically make Nikon know it is in their best interests to repair your camera. Good Will is their own best interests, and they have a reputation to promote and protect.

Best of luck.

Cal

Old 12-01-2017   #23
Jack Conrad

You may have already done it, but the first thing I always do when electronics get wonky is clean the contact points on the battery and inside the battery compartment.

Old 12-01-2017   #24
Timmyjoe

One other thing Keith, are you sure you battery is still good? The original ones were made in 2009 or there abouts, and you may just have a cell that's going bad.

Best,
-Tim

New Photo Books
Sturgis Stories
& Scenes From Sturgis
now available

Old 12-01-2017   #25
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitimageview View Post
No not dunked ... just got rained on steadily one day for about fifteen minutes while photographing a billboard with a tripod.

If I had dunked it I would understand totally if it gave out at some point.

Old 12-01-2017   #26
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Thanks for the help people ... I will try a couple of the suggestions such as battery removal for a day or so and reinstalling/updating fiirmware etc. I have never updated the firmware as I never felt the need to ... how do you make the perfect DSLR better? lol

I'll be back!

Old 12-01-2017   #27
BillBingham2

Quote:
.....I have never updated the firmware as I never felt the need to ... how do you make the perfect DSLR better? lol ....
It's not so much that you are trying to make it better. I'm thinking there's a bit or two that are flipped the wrong direction somewhere I hope in the yards of code that make up the various programs that run your little friend.

B2 (;->

Old 12-01-2017   #28
Anthony Harvey

Try the simplest thing first - the battery. My D700 did the same thing but in my case it was only the battery, which I thought was all right since the camera indicated that it had power and I had no other sign that something was wrong. When batteries have reached their limit they start doing funny things. I put in my spare battery and everything worked normally.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you - I know just how much one can love this camera!

Old 12-01-2017   #29
blumoon

Have you looked down into the compact flash slot with a flashlight?
Maybe a pin or two are bent and hitting each other.

Old 12-01-2017   #30
nobbylon

A shame for such a low count camera. Mines done about 25k and I’ve gone back to using it after selling the M9.
The good news is there’s plenty of them with low miles out there to buy if you find yours is finished.
It does sound like something simple like a contact though. I’ve heard of 700’s going to 250k with no issues!

Old 12-01-2017   #31
x-ray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bille View Post
Send it to Nikon and tell them you are disappointed with the shutter breaking at only 20k. Maybe they will replace it for free.
How do you know it's the shutter. It could just as easily be an electrical issue or component failure on one of the boards. These are old cameras now and corrosion could be the problem. Assuming it's the shutter is a big assumption.

I'd send it to Nikon for an estimate.

Old 12-01-2017   #32
farlymac
PF McFarland

Try some of the home remedies first, Keith. I know how you feel about that camera, but like others have said, there are plenty of them available if all else fails.

BTW, I use only OEM batteries in my cameras after some charging issues with off-brand stuff.

PF

Old 12-01-2017   #33
SolaresLarrave
My M5s need red dots!

Keep us posted! I have a D700 with a low count that never got rained on... maybe just a little wet on drizzle but that's about it.
My Nikon D700 Neophyte's Guide

Old 12-03-2017   #34
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

I haven't addressed the D700 issue as yet but what I have done is use my D4 in it's place for the odd daily pic. That sensor in the D4 is really a gem ... I can see why the DF is so highly regarded for it's IQ ... having the same sensor.

Old 12-04-2017   #35
Fraser

The Df is the only reason I sold my d700!

Old 12-04-2017   #36
Timmyjoe

Quote:
I haven't addressed the D700 issue as yet but what I have done is use my D4 in it's place for the odd daily pic. That sensor in the D4 is really a gem ... I can see why the DF is so highly regarded for it's IQ ... having the same sensor.
I just picked up a black Df when B&H finally got one in stock after about six months. I love to use my old Nikkor pre-AI glass, and while I was able to focus them very well on my D700, I wanted the better sensor from my D4. But for some reason, I was never able to focus the old manual Nikkors very well on the D4 focus screen. The Df has solved the problem perfectly, the sensor I love from the D4, and the ease of focusing the manual Nikkors I had with the D700.

Best,
-Tim

New Photo Books
Sturgis Stories
& Scenes From Sturgis
now available