Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Being a Photographer > Travel

Travel This is the place you ask for travel advice, or share your own tips. Topics include destinations, sight seeing, and best / smartest ways for traveling with a camera.

Coast to Coast Amtrak 2017
Old 11-02-2017   #1
Hogarth Ferguson

Coast to Coast Amtrak 2017

Last year, the wife and I did a coast to coast, San Francisco to Chicago to Baltimore, which you can read about here. We decided, after the Trans-Mongolian we did this year that we would do another Amtrak trip. We opted for the southern route, Baltimore-New Orleans-LA-Seattle with stops for Joshua Tree and Crater Lake. Hurricanes changed our routes, though. I wrote all about it if you'd like to read it.

Here ya go All together it was just around 4000 miles on the rails between 3 trains, 17 hours, 65 hours, and the last was 28 hours.

I brought along my Hasselblad 501cm and Fuji GF670w

.... by Hogarth Ferguson, on Flickr

Old 11-02-2017   #2
Hogarth Ferguson

Old 11-02-2017   #3
Hogarth Ferguson

Old 11-02-2017   #4
Hogarth Ferguson

Old 11-02-2017   #5
Hogarth Ferguson

Old 11-02-2017   #6
Hogarth Ferguson

Old 11-02-2017   #7
Brad Bireley

Nice! Looks like fun. What's a trip like this cost?

Old 11-02-2017   #8
Hogarth Ferguson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Bireley View Post
Nice! Looks like fun. What's a trip like this cost?

So, tough to say exactly. I flew from Seattle to Alaska at the end of the trip to go fishing with my dad, gramps, and brother, so the flight there and then back home was 600 extra bucks, my wife's flight home was about 175 or so.

We had to change trains the day before we left, so they honored our price from one leg (New Orleans to LA) for our change (Chicago to LA). That train was $584 and it included our room. When you get a room you get meals with the room, which is awesome. LAX to Klamath falls with a room was $384, and then from Klamath Falls to Seattle without a room was $116

Rental cars were 35 bucks (Los Angeles) and 75 bucks (Klamath Falls) for the day each.

We had National Parks pass, so those were taken care of.

Hotel were 130 bucks in LA and 120 in Klamath Falls. In Seattle for the night it was at a friends.

So, if we added the actual price of the points trip, would be around 1500 dollars for both of us, and 350 or so for hotel and cars. Then plane home at say 200 each. Total around $2100 for both of us.

Old 11-02-2017   #9
oftheherd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogarth Ferguson View Post
So, tough to say exactly. I flew from Seattle to Alaska at the end of the trip to go fishing with my dad, gramps, and brother, so the flight there and then back home was 600 extra bucks, my wife's flight home was about 175 or so.

We had to change trains the day before we left, so they honored our price from one leg (New Orleans to LA) for our change (Chicago to LA). That train was $584 and it included our room. When you get a room you get meals with the room, which is awesome. LAX to Klamath falls with a room was $384, and then from Klamath Falls to Seattle without a room was $116

Rental cars were 35 bucks (Los Angeles) and 75 bucks (Klamath Falls) for the day each.

We had National Parks pass, so those were taken care of.

Hotel were 130 bucks in LA and 120 in Klamath Falls. In Seattle for the night it was at a friends.

So, if we added the actual price of the points trip, would be around 1500 dollars for both of us, and 350 or so for hotel and cars. Then plane home at say 200 each. Total around $2100 for both of us.
For what you did I would say that was a bargain. Not that everyone would want to spend that much these days.

Old 11-02-2017   #10
Paulbe

Hogarth--great photos! Thanks for sharing!
I particularly liked number four in the third set--the fellow walking between the cars--and the interior shot of the diner. And 2100.00 for ALL that adventure sounds reasonable to me! Thanks again!
Paul

Old 11-02-2017   #11
Beemermark

Only bummer about Amtrak is that Congress found out how much they were losing on the snack car and they had to raise the beer prices -. Still a lot cheaper than the airlines though.

Old 11-02-2017   #12
Hogarth Ferguson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulbe View Post
Hogarth--great photos! Thanks for sharing!
I particularly liked number four in the third set--the fellow walking between the cars--and the interior shot of the diner. And 2100.00 for ALL that adventure sounds reasonable to me! Thanks again!
Paul
Thank you so much, that is actually my favorite photo, too.

Old 11-02-2017   #13
BillBingham2

Nice stuff, great story, Thank You!!

B2 (;->

Old 11-02-2017   #14
Rayt

I would love to ride through the Southwest this way in a two person sleeper.

Old 11-02-2017   #15
ornate_wrasse

I enjoyed reading about and seeing the images from your trip. I've often thought of taking a cross country trip on Amtrak to visit my relatives on the East Coast. I may actually get to go Glacier National Park next September taking Amtrak from Portland, OR to Glacier.

I'm curious, how did you find the sleeping accommodations?

Thanks for sharing.

Ellen

www.pbase.com/ornate_wrasse

Leica M9, Leica M6, Leica M3 - 21mm 3.4 Super Angulon, 28mm 2.8 Elmarit, 35mm Summicron, Nikkor SC 50mm 1.4, Carl Zeiss Jena 50mm 1.5, CV 75mm 2.5, Nikkor 8.5cm 2.0

Mamiya 6 - 50mm f4, 75mm f3.5, 150mm f4.5

Fuji X-Pro1 - 16-55mm f/2.8, 27mm f/2.8

Old 11-03-2017   #16
robert blu
quiet photographer

For sure an experience I would like to do with my wife, maybe one day...
robert

my quiet photographer's blog

My RFF photos and my albums on RFF

Old 11-03-2017   #17
valdas

Great to see some train travel photos from US. It does not show up very often. It is probably explained by the fact that trains are not very popular mean of transport in US compared to Europe. I have read some a bit outdated statistics:

"European railways served 426 billion passenger kilometres in 2013, compared to America’s 27.6 billion passenger-kilometres (one passenger-kilometre is one passenger travelling one kilometre by rail)."

Anyway - it's great and would love to see more...

Old 11-03-2017   #18
css9450

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogarth Ferguson View Post
Old Santa Fe diner. That car is 60+ years old! Nice to see they are still around.

Old 11-03-2017   #19
Rob-F
Likes Leicas

I love every one of the shots of the train and the stations. Outstanding!

Old 11-03-2017   #20
MikeMGB

A wonderful series of photographs. I travel on Amtrak between St. Louis and Chicago frequently, my wife and I have been talking about doing a trip like this for a while, this shows we should just get on and do it!

Old 11-03-2017   #21
Hogarth Ferguson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob-F View Post
I love every one of the shots of the train and the stations. Outstanding!
Thank you so much

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMGB View Post
A wonderful series of photographs. I travel on Amtrak between St. Louis and Chicago frequently, my wife and I have been talking about doing a trip like this for a while, this shows we should just get on and do it!
I'd highly suggest it. I've done a few routes now and each has their charm, just make sure to get a room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by css9450 View Post
Old Santa Fe diner. That car is 60+ years old! Nice to see they are still around.
Yah, I think they have 4 of them, I was pretty excited we were on a route with one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by valdas View Post
Great to see some train travel photos from US. It does not show up very often. It is probably explained by the fact that trains are not very popular mean of transport in US compared to Europe. I have read some a bit outdated statistics:

"European railways served 426 billion passenger kilometres in 2013, compared to America’s 27.6 billion passenger-kilometres (one passenger-kilometre is one passenger travelling one kilometre by rail)."

Anyway - it's great and would love to see more...
The train here is sort of a sad shell of what we should have. Any opportunity to take the train, I do. It is a great way to see the country.

Old 11-03-2017   #22
Hogarth Ferguson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ornate_wrasse View Post
I enjoyed reading about and seeing the images from your trip. I've often thought of taking a cross country trip on Amtrak to visit my relatives on the East Coast. I may actually get to go Glacier National Park next September taking Amtrak from Portland, OR to Glacier.

I'm curious, how did you find the sleeping accommodations?

Thanks for sharing.

Ellen
We plan on doing that route next year. There are two separate "roommettes" depending on the trains you ride. Any train going into New York is a single level and that allows the rooms to be a little bigger. The top bunk also has a window, until the cars are rebuilt, they also have a toilet/sink in the room.

The double decker are smaller with much less room. I find them comfortable, though. It is 10x better than having a seat. Would highly suggest it.

Old 11-03-2017   #23
Prest_400
Multiformat

Fantastic! I really like the shot of the station and the guy walking on the platform between trains and the 3 shots above it; lovely golden/blue hour and chrome reflections.

There's something romantic about train travel and in Europe it's actually a great way to get around on shorter routes. Sleeper trains went Dodo mostly though around here. Used to have a night train that stopped on next town and went to Madrid. Also, when I arrived/departed commuting to college, I often saw the Night train to/from Paris which was fantastic. Sadly both discontinued because High Speed trains.

If I'm back again on Scandinavia, I will give the thought of taking an Arctic bound night train. Still, as unglamurous air travel may be, I love its shorter travel time for short trips!

Old 11-03-2017   #24
Hogarth Ferguson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prest_400 View Post
Fantastic! I really like the shot of the station and the guy walking on the platform between trains and the 3 shots above it; lovely golden/blue hour and chrome reflections.

There's something romantic about train travel and in Europe it's actually a great way to get around on shorter routes. Sleeper trains went Dodo mostly though around here. Used to have a night train that stopped on next town and went to Madrid. Also, when I arrived/departed commuting to college, I often saw the Night train to/from Paris which was fantastic. Sadly both discontinued because High Speed trains.

If I'm back again on Scandinavia, I will give the thought of taking an Arctic bound night train. Still, as unglamurous air travel may be, I love its shorter travel time for short trips!

We did Istanbul to London a few years back, two sleeper trains on that route. Was a great time.

Old 11-03-2017   #25
sepiareverb
genius and moron

Love it. I did NYC to Albuquerque in ‘95 with my wif3 and 6 month old son. Som3 familiar images

Old 11-03-2017   #26
Bingley

Really liking your series. And it sounds like it was a great trip. Thanks for posting.

FS: Zeiss-ZM Planar 50 plus hood, Pentax MX, Voigtlander Ultron 40/2.0 SLII in Pentax K-mount, Takumar 100/2.8 and 35/3.5 lenses: See my ads in Classifieds

M3, M2, R2A, IIIc, IVSB2, & T, and assorted LTM & M lenses
Minolta XD11, Pentax ME Super, and assorted MD Rokkor and Takumar lenses, Rolleicord III, Rolleicord Vb, Rolleiflex Automat MX-EVS

My Flickr
My Gallery