Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Digital Cameras > Digital Compacts

GR as only vacation camera?
Old 05-26-2017   #1
MarkoKovacevic

GR as only vacation camera?

I'm heading to Indonesia later next month and was considering leaving my mirror less at home and just going with the GR. I was wondering if anyone's done this and your thoughts on it. Sometimes restrictions make you more creative.

Old 05-26-2017   #2
Archlich

You'll be awesome.

Old 05-26-2017   #3
sevres_babylone

When I went to Vietnam for 2 weeks in January, the GR II was my primary camera, but I also brought an Olympus OM-1 with a 50mm and 85mm, in part for nostalgia reasons (it was the 40th anniversary of my last trip to southeast Asia, and I used an OM then.)

That said, I didn't use the 85mm as much as I thought I would. I used the GR more than 80% of the time. I do use the crop mode on it, more frequently the 35mm than the 47mm, but sometimes the latter; I had an R-D1 so 6mp doesn't scare me.

The GR is my favorite camera. I keep it in a pouch on my belt, and with snap mode can get ready to shoot quickly.

But I've always carried a back-up or second camera, even going back to film days. I would take a second camera of some sort. If something went wrong, I wouldn't want to have to scout out or pay for a second camera in Indonesia.

I did have a problem with my original GR early last year, where eventually the lens got stuck in an open position and wouldn't retract and the shutter wouldn't work. There was a discussion of this on DPReview and on Flickr (where I described my experience in the thread):
https://www.flickr.com/groups/ricohg...7655664854300/
(Just re-read that thread, and I see someone got theirs fixed in Yogyakarta!)

i bought a used X100T, but missed the GR so much that I bought a used GR II here on RFF, and when it came time to decide which camera to take on my trip had no hesitation taking the Ricoh.

Old 05-26-2017   #4
jsrockit

If you like to be up close to everything that you photograph and like a 28mm perspective, it'll be fine of course. Most of the world now uses 28mm to photograph.

Old 05-26-2017   #5
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Cameras with 28mm or wider were common film P&S in eighties to nineties period. They were easy to made. Only two focus positions were required - close and else. My family used one for family pictures and on trips.

I would take small rocket bower and small micro-fiber towel to keep GR clean during the trip.

Old 05-26-2017   #6
craygc

All I ever use for 90% of what I shoot in Indonesia is a 28mm, and I've frequently only used the GR. All this is Indonesia with the GR; or Asia in general with the GR

Old 05-26-2017   #7
Stuart John

Well, I used just an X100 for a trip to Barcelona, having just one camera with a fixed lens was great in many ways as it free me up from thinking about gear but these day I would prefer something like a Panasonic GM1 with the small kit zoom. I actually had a GM with kit zoom but sadly I lost it, I used it for a few trips, the GM1 was great because it was so small and the zoom was really useful. I won't buy another to replace it so it's back to the X100 for travelling light.

Canonet QL17, Canonet 28, Zorki C

Old 05-26-2017   #8
jsrockit

Yeah, sometimes I travel with a X100(t or f) only as well. Depending on the country and how narrow the streets are, a GR or a X70 would be fine. If photography is the main reason for travel, then I bring a nice zoom. None of these options would suffer in the quality department which is the advantage.

Old 05-26-2017   #9
raid
Dad Photographer

Should work very well. Don't worry about "issues".

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 05-26-2017   #10
BlackXList

I spent two months using only the GR abroad a little while back.

Had a full frame DSLR with me, but it never left the house because the GR is so good.

Old 05-26-2017   #11
dogberryjr
[Pithy phrase]

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
Most of the world now uses 28mm to photograph.
This is an interesting claim (and I'm not asking you to back it up). I tend to think (envision) in 50mm, but that might be an artifact of coming to photography in the 80s. My second prime lens--in 1987--was a 28mm, and I have yet to become comfortable with the perspective.

Old 05-26-2017   #12
ColSebastianMoran
( IRL Richard Karash )

Sony A6000 with the kit lens 16-50 zoom for a recent vacation. This did a fab job, given that I didn't want to carry a larger camera.

On a 2006 trip to Japan, took only a Panasonic LX-1. Yup, LX-1. Great photos.

The best camera for any shot is the one you have with you.

In Classifieds Now: Nothing.
Use this link to leave feedback for me.

Named "Best heavy-game shooter in the Eastern Empire." Clubs: Anglo-Indian, Tankerville, and Bagatelle Card Club.
Sony E/FE, Nikon dSLR, and iPhone digital. Misc film.
Birds, portraits, events, family. Mindfulness, reflection, creativity, and stance.

Old 05-26-2017   #13
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogberryjr View Post
This is an interesting claim (and I'm not asking you to back it up). I tend to think (envision) in 50mm, but that might be an artifact of coming to photography in the 80s. My second prime lens--in 1987--was a 28mm, and I have yet to become comfortable with the perspective.
Cellphones are the most popular cameras supposedly. They are generally 28mm. I'm a 50mm fan as well... it's the most comfortable for me.

Old 05-26-2017   #14
ColSebastianMoran
( IRL Richard Karash )

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogberryjr View Post
I am liking the iPhone 7 Plus a lot. Two lenses 28 and 56mm. Not a zoom, not digital zoom, but two built-in cameras.

28 is a great general use focal length for most everything except portraits. 56 isn't long, but much better for portraits.

In Classifieds Now: Nothing.
Use this link to leave feedback for me.

Named "Best heavy-game shooter in the Eastern Empire." Clubs: Anglo-Indian, Tankerville, and Bagatelle Card Club.
Sony E/FE, Nikon dSLR, and iPhone digital. Misc film.
Birds, portraits, events, family. Mindfulness, reflection, creativity, and stance.

Old 05-26-2017   #15
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColSebastianMoran View Post
I am liking the iPhone 7 Plus a lot. Two lenses 28 and 56mm. Not a zoom, not digital zoom, but two built-in cameras.

28 is a great general use focal length for most everything except portraits. 56 isn't long, but much better for portraits.
Yes, I was interested in the iPhone 7 plus and thought maybe it could be a cell phone camera that I actually would use (I have the 6 plus). However, it seems that you always have to choose the camera app and then hit 2x to get to 56mm. I was hoping that I could just hit the app and be at 56mm permanently. Why does this extra button push matter? Because I will miss photos that I generally can make with my regular camera.

Old 05-26-2017   #16
sepiareverb
genius and moron

I took nothing but the GR and an underwater P&S to st John this winter. Did fine.

Old 05-27-2017   #17
infrequent

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
Yes, I was interested in the iPhone 7 plus and thought maybe it could be a cell phone camera that I actually would use (I have the 6 plus). However, it seems that you always have to choose the camera app and then hit 2x to get to 56mm. I was hoping that I could just hit the app and be at 56mm permanently. Why does this extra button push matter? Because I will miss photos that I generally can make with my regular camera.
Yes the secondary (56mm) lens is only engaged if you choose the Portrait mode but in practice if its engaged, it typically stays in that mode until you change it back. For example if you picked Pano option and shot one, the next time you invoke the camera app it is in Pano mode. Presumably this will hold true until the app state memory is cleared or the phone is switched on/off.

Old 05-27-2017   #18
infrequent

There is a certain freedom with travelling with just one camera, one lens. I find that my x100s is a great option for travel purposes and I usually supplement it with my iPhone. Sevres_Babylone's thoughts above sound very familiar to the observations of most folks I have seen or heard.

Old 05-27-2017   #19
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by infrequent View Post
Yes the secondary (56mm) lens is only engaged if you choose the Portrait mode but in practice if its engaged, it typically stays in that mode until you change it back. For example if you picked Pano option and shot one, the next time you invoke the camera app it is in Pano mode. Presumably this will hold true until the app state memory is cleared or the phone is switched on/off.
That hasn't been my experience with the iPhone's camera, but maybe I don't use it frequently enough for it to remember. Of course I tested the 7 plus in the store and it wouldn't even remember the 2x function when I hit the home button and immediately went back into the app. Really, I wanted it to work for me.

Old 05-27-2017   #20
Henry Schimke

Quote:
Originally Posted by infrequent View Post

Perhaps a nitpick but: this is not true.
The secondary lens is engaged during two situations: when the camera is set to "zoom 2x", and when the camera is in "portrait mode". The functions of the two situations are different. During "Portrait Mode" both lenses are used and the software pretends to create blurred, out-of-focus areas behind the main subject (which it guesses at). The results really aren't bad, but you have to know what they are (given the size of the sensor and the fixed aperture basically everything is in focus). When any of the camera modes are selected besides "Portrait Mode" and the zoom is set to "2x" then the secondary lens is used alone. Only the primary lens has image stabilization built in, so in 2x mode this isn't available.

Old 05-27-2017   #21
infrequent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Schimke View Post
Perhaps a nitpick but: this is not true.
The secondary lens is engaged during two situations: when the camera is set to "zoom 2x", and when the camera is in "portrait mode". The functions of the two situations are different. During "Portrait Mode" both lenses are used and the software pretends to create blurred, out-of-focus areas behind the main subject (which it guesses at). The results really aren't bad, but you have to know what they are (given the size of the sensor and the fixed aperture basically everything is in focus). When any of the camera modes are selected besides "Portrait Mode" and the zoom is set to "2x" then the secondary lens is used alone. Only the primary lens has image stabilization built in, so in 2x mode this isn't available.
Yes...you are correct.

Old 05-27-2017   #22
Aristophanes

I bought the GR as my travel unit. So far, so good. Video is done on an iPhone.

Old 05-30-2017   #23
silent1

I used my GR alone on several trips and never regretted it.
It's my favorite trip photo setup.
With an Eye-Fi SD card, I can even upload some photos on social media for instant gratification.

Old 06-04-2017   #24
Tati

Ricoh also has a 21mm conversion lens for the GR. You do need to buy the adapter. The image quality is excellent. It changes the GR with additional size and weight but it isn't bad. An amazing, versatile combo in a tiny package. Also, depending on print size, the GR has 35 and 47 mm options. Less pixels. I think 10 and 6, but plenty depending on your final output.

Old 06-04-2017   #25
Landberg

The GRII has been my only camera in New York x2, London x3, Greece, Spain and so on! Works great!

Old 06-04-2017   #26
Archiver

The only thing I would miss about only having the GR is the ability to shoot decent video. For this reason, my primary pocket camera is the Panasonic LX7, despite having a smaller sensor, and loving the GR so much. GR video is pretty bad compared with what other cameras can produce.

If video isn't a concern, and you are happy with 28, 35 and 47mm - thanks to crop mode - the GR would be a superb one-camera holiday solution. But it would be prudent to have a small backup camera just in case the GR fails during the trip.

Someone mentioned the 21mm adapter, and I second that. It's a great addition and will allow you to take photos that would be otherwise impossible with the GR alone.

Old 06-04-2017   #27
ktmrider

Don't have the GR but have no problem using my Fuji X70 as my only travel camera. There is something totally liberating about a small camera with fixed focal length.

So, I usually carry a X70 or M2/M5 with a 50 depending on my mood.

Old 10-23-2017   #28
jazzwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkoKovacevic View Post
I'm heading to Indonesia later next month and was considering leaving my mirror less at home and just going with the GR. I was wondering if anyone's done this and your thoughts on it. Sometimes restrictions make you more creative.
Hi Marko,
I believe you finished your trip to Indonesia.
Would you share with us some pictures and experiences of use Ricoh GR only during this trip

~ron~

Last edited by jazzwave : 10-23-2017 at 22:33. Reason: .

Old 10-23-2017   #29
Chris101
summicronia

GR or any camera is at its best if it is the only camera you have. In the same vein, having a single camera along on a vacation will result in your enjoying your time much more, as well as having fewer photographic decisions to make. This will result in your taking better pictures than you would if you spend your time making decisions about "which camera/lens to would be (slightly) better".

Old 10-24-2017   #30
JoeLopez

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkoKovacevic View Post
You will be fine. My Nikon Coolpix A and X100 cameras have served me very well while travelling

Other gear: Minolta X-570, Nikon F3/T, N90s & D750, Fuji X100T
Nikkor 50mm f1.8, 28mm f2.8 E, Voigtlander 40mm f/2.0 Ultron SL, Minolta 45mm f2 & 50mm f1.7

My Flickr | My ebay | Instagram

Old 11-09-2017   #31
MarkoKovacevic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzwave View Post
Hi Marko,
I believe you finished your trip to Indonesia.
Would you share with us some pictures and experiences of use Ricoh GR only during this trip

~ron~
Hey Ron,

For sure! I'm still in the process of editing through but I will post soon.

Old 05-15-2018   #32
Archiver

Bumping this thread. Marko, how did it go with the GR in Indonesia as your only camera?

Old 05-16-2018   #33
Gary Sandhu

Mine broke - lens stuck. I’d recommend you take a back up.

Old 05-23-2018   #34
Landberg

GR is the best travel camera.

Old 05-23-2018   #35
nightfly

GR is great and I would take it over any APS-C or mirrorless alternative. I take mine on every trip. I once sold mine and tried a Fuji XE-2 with a 28 and regretted it. Fought with the metering the whole trip and sold it immediately on return and bought another GR.

However, I still find that I don't get as much satisfaction from shooting with it or from the photos I take with it as my M9. So if possible I bring them both.

Old 04-25-2019   #36
novum

I was trying to find some nice pictures to show a friend that highlighted the performance of a Canon L zoom. I was surprised to find that most of the pictures I thought were taken with a full-frame DSLR were in fact taken with my wife's GR II. These were the "best" of our travel pictures. I use the Ricoh at least as much as she does.

I bought the GR II for her because I accidentally bounced her GRD III off of a granite rock. The flash door got cracked and didn't pop up correctly anymore, so I superglued it shut. She was not pleased, hence the upgrade.

Just noticed I'm a year late. :/

Last edited by novum : 04-25-2019 at 11:18. Reason: a little extra anecdote

Old 05-26-2019   #37
Archiver

Mysteriously, @MarkoKovacevic made his last post in this thread, saying he was editing his photos from Indonesia and would post soon. That was almost two years ago...

The GR is one of only two cameras I've found that comes close to the M9 in both sharpness/detail and colour. The other is the Ricoh GXR-M module. The GR has even better highlight retention than the M9 as well, although it lacks the very fine gradation of colours that I see in the M9. As an everyday camera, it's more than excellent if you like 28mm.

Old 05-26-2019   #38
emraphoto

For my needs, the GR is about as perfect as I can find. Exceptional prints, fantastic interface etc etc. The same could be said about a lot of cameras today. As Archiver has already demonstrated.

The question then becomes relative to the focal length. Is 28mm for you? For me, it works so well i use it (or the relative version) in 4x5 and 120

Old 09-03-2019   #39
Archiver

I just wish my Ricoh cameras were more reliable. All have developed faults sooner than I would like. My first Ricoh GXR body bricked itself one day. It just wouldn't power up. GRD III lens block malfunctioned and had to be replaced, and is starting to play up again. GR shutter now gets stuck when the camera turns on.
If I was a going on a trip, I'd definitely take a backup if the GR was the main camera. At this time, it would be a Panasonic LX10 for the extra wide angle, zoom, and superb video.

Old 09-03-2019   #40
taffy

I'm very fortunate that my GR2 has not failed me yet. As a vacation camera, I can recommend it. Some photos from a vacation: