Oly Epic a collector ?
Old 01-18-2017   #1
lawnpotter

Oly Epic a collector ?

So strange. Oly epics selling on ebay for $300.00 cdn. There is one on my craigslist for $295. I have 3 of them and 2 are in boxes with manuals. Does any one know if the ones made in Japan have more value than the ones made in china?

Old 01-18-2017   #2
btgc

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnpotter View Post
So strange. Oly epics selling on ebay for $300.00 cdn. There is one on my craigslist for $295. I have 3 of them and 2 are in boxes with manuals. Does any one know if the ones made in Japan have more value than the ones made in china?
$300 - listed or really selling?

Seems money is coming to an end of being mean of trade.....

Old 01-18-2017   #3
lawnpotter

Good point. Maybe no one will ever pay $300. I felt guilty buying a new one for $80.00 8 years ago

Old 01-18-2017   #4
p.giannakis
Pan Giannakis

Good cameras but a no-no for me for anything above £60. I had two and i liked them. To put money into perspective, cameras like the Nikon F90x and F801s, Canon EOS5 or Minolta 700si sell for usually half that price.
For £300 I could get Nikons F5, F4 or F3, some F2's and Canons EOS 1 series etc....
Stylus Epic? No way for that money...

The Monochrome Archives
Instagram

Old 01-18-2017   #5
btgc

Quote:
Good point. Maybe no one will ever pay $300. I felt guilty buying a new one for $80.00 8 years ago
New Epic was my first real camera and no, it weren't cheap. But it were well worth its cost.

300 or what, but their prices sporadically fetched high mark. I haven't watched ebay for a couple of years so can't help any more with this, but yes, sometimes we mortals spend way more on something than it seems to be logical.

If yours are boxed this is a bold plus. People tend to spend extra if old camera comes in old box with old papers.

Old 01-18-2017   #6
sevo
Fokutorendaburando

People have long been offering them for ridiculous prices - presumably kids that have no other reference beyond pricing them relative to a new Lomo LC-A. But there simply are too many offered for much less to sell at such a price - the going rate appears to be less 1/10 of that price for users, and even mint in box does rarely reach the 60€ mark...

Old 01-18-2017   #7
valdas

Quote:
You never know what some people might pay for a brand new boxed camera, but in general - still plenty of Mju II on the market (so why collect something that is not rare), going rate on ebay now seems to be between $30-100 depending on condition (looking at sold items). I bought a few of them a couple of years ago - paid 20 EUR.

Old 01-18-2017   #8
nukecoke
⚛Yashica

Are we talking about Mju 2 here? They can be quite expensive these days.

I bought mine for $7 at the local second hand store. The battery inside it costs more. A real lucky find since the resourcefulness of second camera market is very, very low at where I live.

flickr(abandoned)

About Film Cameras

Old 01-19-2017   #9
Prest_400
Multiformat

Quote:
Originally Posted by valdas View Post
...going rate on ebay now seems to be between $30-100 depending on condition (looking at sold items). I bought a few of them a couple of years ago - paid 20 EUR.
I should take a look, my impression was that price priced hovered around 80-100€ but I haven't looked at the sold listings rather, ongoing auctions.
A couple of weeks ago I found a Mju I listed with a couple more generic compacts, sadly came too late, just 10€.

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.giannakis View Post
Good cameras but a no-no for me for anything above £60. I had two and i liked them. To put money into perspective, cameras like the Nikon F90x and F801s, Canon EOS5 or Minolta 700si sell for usually half that price.
For £300 I could get Nikons F5, F4 or F3, some F2's and Canons EOS 1 series etc....
Stylus Epic? No way for that money...
Except they are not compacts.
I too have seen that midrange (pushing towards pro level) AF SLRs are low priced. For 40€/£30 there are cameras like those, and with a bit of patience they can be found with a kit lens (28-80 type) . I got a Nikon F80 for that price.

On another level are the Contax T's (T3?), incredibly expensive.

Old 01-19-2017   #10
nukecoke
⚛Yashica

The price of T3 has been boosted further since last year because some Korean popstar uses it and happened to show it during some events...

flickr(abandoned)

About Film Cameras

Old 01-19-2017   #11
Gregm61

Quote:
Silly money for an $80 camera....

Old 01-19-2017   #12
David Hughes
David Hughes

Hi,

From time to time everyone seems grabbed by some camera and the price climbs steadily at first, then rapidly and then down it comes; sometimes slowly and sometimes quickly. Look at the Olympus Trip 35, f'instance.

Also, a lot of people throw caution to the wind at Christmas and treat themselves to some fancy/fancied camera and bidding wars start.

And whilst that is happening the cameras still appear in charity shops for a pound or two.

So you pays your money and makes your choice, as we say.

Regards, David

Old 01-19-2017   #13
David Hughes
David Hughes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregm61 View Post
Silly money for an $80 camera....
True but look what people will pay for a Leica IIIa and Summar that only sold originally for forty three pounds (172 USD at the time)...

The number surviving and demand and inflation mostly account for it.

Regards, David

Last edited by David Hughes : 01-19-2017 at 23:35. Reason: Brain fade

Old 01-19-2017   #14
ChrisPlatt
Thread Killer

Perhaps too many hipsters have Googled all those old RFF threads praising what was once an affordable P&S?

Chris

Old 01-19-2017   #15
jsrockit

A quick look at the sold auctions on ebay shows prices all over the place from next to nothing to hundreds of dollars.

Old 01-25-2017   #16
John Bragg

The most I have paid for one is £36 for an absolutely pristine example. The prices on ebay are getting out of hand and even the Mju I or Stylus Infinity is no longer the bargain that it once was. In some ways, fast lens excluded, the Mju I is the better user experience. I bought a pristine one for £3 and now many go for £50 or so. There are faults and foibles with the Mju ii. It has a habit of the af failing in a somewhat unpredictable manner and frame spacing can be random, especially if left with a part used roll inside for any length of time. It has however produced some stunning shots for me and has a certain charm, chiefly its ability to always be there ready when needed. Similarly the Mju I.

Old 01-25-2017   #17
Michael Markey

I've had a number of them over the years and never paid more than £30
I've recently acquired another and was surprised at the high price (x5)
I was told in part it's because some photographer has recentyhad a successful exhibition , using a Mju

Old 01-25-2017   #18
David Hughes
David Hughes

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Bragg View Post
The most I have paid for one is £36 for an absolutely pristine example. The prices on ebay are getting out of hand and even the Mju I or Stylus Infinity is no longer the bargain that it once was. In some ways, fast lens excluded, the Mju I is the better user experience. I bought a pristine one for £3 and now many go for £50 or so. There are faults and foibles with the Mju ii. It has a habit of the af failing in a somewhat unpredictable manner and frame spacing can be random, especially if left with a part used roll inside for any length of time. It has however produced some stunning shots for me and has a certain charm, chiefly its ability to always be there ready when needed. Similarly the Mju I.
Hi,

I've had several over the past few years and not experienced anything like this. It might be worth getting yours checked, as they are nice, neat and very practical cameras.

Regards, David

Old 02-13-2017   #19
John Bragg

Just had a casual look at ebay and even the zoom models which you couldn't give away recently are starting to fetch good money. Symptomatic of the uneducated casual bidder thinking that the zoom models are the same. The whole reason for wanting one is the fast lens. Yes the zoom model is called Mju ii as well, but there the similarity ends.

Old 02-18-2017   #20
2wenty

Sell me one of your extras at a reasonable price . For real, Ill buy it.

Ive been looking at film cameras almost everyday for a few years and its within the last 4-6 months that the Epic/MJU II, Contax T2 and T3 have gone absolutely retarted. Contax T3 pricing is now at $1000-1600.

I think its all these instagram pages that show cameras and these online reviewers.

I dont think the Epic will be a collectors camera for the most part. Wasn't there like a million made? Plus the pricing is all over the place. I seen a brand new one in the box sell the other day for $150 buy it now. Im kind of kicking myself for not getting it, but I would feel bad to beat up a new camera so I didn't get it.

Still on the look out for getting another one, but in all honest $200+ is not worth it. Thats Contax territory.

In all honesty though, the lens on the Epic/MJU II really is up there with the best of them. It just lacks a bunch of features that would take it to the next level.

Old 02-18-2017   #21
DanskDynamit

Quote:
the listing prices does not mean they are sold for that money. It is true that they have gotten more and more expensive over the years but you can still find them for around $100 US.

Old 02-19-2017   #22
gavinlg

I've noticed this too. I've been through 2-3 of them and never paid more than $100 for a new in box one a few years ago.

The lens, metering and simple operation make this camera superb, but theres no way I'd pay over (say) $100aud for a mint one. As said above, most have spacing issues and don't last that long under constant use.

If olympus put that lens into a TC-1 style metal bodied compact camera with manual control it would be a contax killer IMO. The lens is truly great.

Old 02-19-2017   #23
David Hughes
David Hughes

Hi,

Some of you may think I'm joking but I look at cameras in charity shops and do my best to pay less than a cup of coffee's price and I've I bought and played with almost everything but the Nikon thing with the two meter dials.

Anyway, comparing the prices charged for (say) a Zenit SLR, an auto everything plastic SLR and a large lumpy P&S and a ΅-I or II I'm convinced that they weigh them and base the prices on that. The Zenit was £15; the Pentax auto SLR £10; the lumpy P&S's £5 and the small compacts like the Pentax mini, ΅-II and even an XA were £2 to £3. That's UK pounds by the way, but I doubt if the symbol will appear...

FWIW, I've given away a lot of them, and some lenses, to people saying those prices are impossible in their country.

Regards, David

Old 02-19-2017   #24
sevo
Fokutorendaburando

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hughes View Post
Hi,

Some of you may think I'm joking but I look at cameras in charity shops
Provided you live in a part of the world where charity shops exist. Hereabouts, there is no such thing (short of posh Oxfams selling used high fashion brands), and flea markets are your best bet. While the 1€ compact is pretty common there, you must travel fast to find them the first hour in the morning, or they will be completely wasted - after a day out in the rain in a cardboard box of mixed bits, greasy used motor parts and rusty nails, cameras generally are of little use any more unless you are digging for internal spare parts...

Old 02-19-2017   #25
David Hughes
David Hughes

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevo View Post
Provided you live in a part of the world where charity shops exist. Hereabouts, there is no such thing (short of posh Oxfams selling used high fashion brands), and flea markets are your best bet. While the 1€ compact is pretty common there, you must travel fast to find them the first hour in the morning, or they will be completely wasted - after a day out in the rain in a cardboard box of mixed bits, greasy used motor parts and rusty nails, cameras generally are of little use any more unless you are digging for internal spare parts...
Hi,

That's sad and I've noticed shop prices in your part of the world are high too, even when the pound was (fairly) strong I was shocked when looking in camera shops. And I've seriously thought about buying that Japanese version of Agfa film for a pound a cassette and exporting at your country's prices...

Regards, David

Old 02-19-2017   #26
DanskDynamit

I bought my mju2 for 70€, 3 years later it developed light leaks from the rubber sealing around the back door.
After detailing the problem very very well including photos of negatives (I might have been the first ever eBay seller to show the negatives produced by a second hand camera for sale) a young spanish woman was willing to pay 100€ for it and so she did.

Old 02-19-2017   #27
2wenty

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanskDynamit View Post
the listing prices does not mean they are sold for that money. It is true that they have gotten more and more expensive over the years but you can still find them for around $100 US.
They are selling over $200 on eBay. I just got out bid and lost on 2 for $150 and $160. Camera only.

Old 02-19-2017   #28
DanskDynamit

well, I see many in "buy it now" for 80€-100€ but I have no doubt that mine, without that light leaking problem would have been sold for around 150€ but then I would have not sold it because its a good camera that I loved to use.

Old 02-20-2017   #29
pvdhaar
Zoom with your feet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanskDynamit View Post
I bought my mju2 for 70€, 3 years later it developed light leaks from the rubber sealing around the back door.
After detailing the problem very very well including photos of negatives (I might have been the first ever eBay seller to show the negatives produced by a second hand camera for sale) a young spanish woman was willing to pay 100€ for it and so she did.
Given how fashionable light leaks are (check out lomography.com), that's no surprise..

Peter

My Hexlδnder Gallery

Old 02-20-2017   #30
Sid836

You know how it goes on ebay. I got my mju-II for 35€. I can see at least three of them for less than 50. The funny is that by many, probably people that know nothing about it, sell the zoom models at equally high prices.

Old 02-20-2017   #31
Arbitrarium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikos72 View Post
You know how it goes on ebay. I got my mju-II for 35€. I can see at least three of them for less than 50. The funny is that by many, probably people that know nothing about it, sell the zoom models at equally high prices.
You get that with Olympus XAs too. People list XA2, 3 or even 1 at £100, presumably after the 'bay suggested "similar" items went for that price.

Or they're thinking "It's an XA2, surely that's an upgrade on the XA!" or something.

I ended up finding a Mju II on Preloved for £5 listed as "compact camera". One of the benefits of the Mju is that sometimes people ignore the name because at a glance it looks like a bunch of random symbols. Sold it off because autofocus doesn't do it for me.

And David Hughes, I swear the price of Trip 35s is still climbing. Too much bandying about the word "cult".

Old 02-20-2017   #32
Prest_400
Multiformat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbitrarium View Post
I ended up finding a Mju II on Preloved for £5 listed as "compact camera". One of the benefits of the Mju is that sometimes people ignore the name because at a glance it looks like a bunch of random symbols. Sold it off because autofocus doesn't do it for me.

And David Hughes, I swear the price of Trip 35s is still climbing. Too much bandying about the word "cult".
Just returned from the city and I was able to get a Sekonic L308 for 60€. The meters value actually has held very well for quite a lot of time. A few months ago I got a Nikon 50mm 1.8D for 65€ too off ebay listed by a second hand shop. For being rather common, the listings for that lens aren't low priced!
Secondhand stores and the such can be a great place for equipment here, seconding private/classifieds. eBay for some items is actually not cheap.

A month ago there was a guy listing an Infinity Stylus for 10€; I was puzzled to find the next day when he replied that he actually sold it (overnight?). I was suprised, my town isn't the kind of place where this sells off locally quickly.

Cult and renaissance does seem to have an impact. I was a bit dormant around the period of 2015 but now I do watch Instagram et al and there is excitement for film and gear. Youtube has channels of young people showing film and gear.

Old 02-20-2017   #33
wjlapier

I can't believe the prices asked for the Oly zooms now. I went on a buying spree several years ago and bought three different zoom ranges--two about $10, one from the goodwill for about $4.00. They do have very good lenses and if you know how they work they take great photos. I use them outside on sunny days with the flash off.

Old 03-29-2017   #34
loftedspace

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjlapier View Post
I can't believe the prices asked for the Oly zooms now. I went on a buying spree several years ago and bought three different zoom ranges--two about $10, one from the goodwill for about $4.00. They do have very good lenses and if you know how they work they take great photos. I use them outside on sunny days with the flash off.
What's being asked for them? I used to keep an eye out for fixed-lens point-and-shoots when I would visit thrift stores, and I'd get excited when I'd see any Olympus, and it was always a zoom. They were stickered at $8-$10.

Old 03-31-2017   #35
David Hughes
David Hughes

What gets me is the people who think any camera that isn't a/an SLR is a RF and the people that buy them worry me too...

It's a pity ebay don't police them properly. People could do it better than software; people would look at the photo of the camera and decide.

Regards, David

Old 01-19-2018   #36
lawnpotter

I just went to ebay.ca and there are no black ones available. Does any one know if the black ones are more sought after ? I have 3 black ones

Old 01-19-2018   #37
skucera

It sure seems to be a bubble for the Stylus Epic. I got one about a year ago, and it does take nice pictures, but I don't see it being worth $300, or especially $700 that I saw one listed at on eBay a few minutes ago. Pure speculative mania, and I bet it's unsustainable too. I wonder what will happen when people realize that it is just a bubble....

Scott
1969 Canon New Canonet QL17-L
1976 Konica Autoreflex T3n
1977 Canon 110ED 20
1979 Minox 35 GL
1979 Olympus XA
1980 Pentax Auto 110
1987 Polaroid Spectra
1996 Canon EOS Elan IIe

Old 01-19-2018   #38
rfaspen

That's why I want to sell now! Kinda like the stock market, eh?

Old 01-19-2018   #39
WyattMacMaurer

I LOVE my Stylus epic and have taken some of my favorite photos with it.

The lens is pretty great though maybe a bit boringly modern, but the real reason I love it is because it is genuinely pocket able and not too expensive so I don't have to worry about babying it too much. I can take it out and about with me and get stellar candid photos of friends and family. It also is pretty unassuming as a camera(maybe even to the point of looking like a toy lol), so people act a little more candid around it. It has an awesome flash as well if you can get over the red eye issues.

If anyone has any they don't want I'll definitely pay $60 for them feel free to PM

I'm also interested in trying out an Olympus XA as it seems to be the spiritual predecessor to the Stylus epic.

Old 01-20-2018   #40
David Hughes
David Hughes

I'd love a digital version of any of those small cameras with a very good to excellent prime lens; plus the size and simplicity.

Regards, David