Soft releases that work?
Old 12-22-2016   #1
daveywaugh
Blah

Soft releases that work?

I used to love the Artisan and Artist soft releases but can't find them anymore - I see they have one still for sale, but with some silly gem stone in the middle... bit bling for me :-) Tried 2 x Artisan Obscura releases but each one has lasted me a couple of days before I lose them... the o-rings never fitted with my M4. Annoying and expensive. The most recent one just didn't fit properly either and I am sure was faulty - won't buy them again. I'd love a nice large convex soft release - any ideas? Thanks very much. Happy shooting over Christmas to all too :-)

Old 12-22-2016   #2
Bille

Try Match Technical

Old 12-23-2016   #3
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Have you tried the Tom Abrahamsson Soft Releases? I own several of them and they worked great when I used Leicas. I still use them on other cameras I own.

http://rapidwinder.com/the-abrahamss...assic-and-mini

Old 12-23-2016   #4
daveywaugh
Blah

Thanks very much. They both look great. I didn't that Tom's were still available.

Old 12-23-2016   #5
peterm1

I had the one shown on this page below which looked like a ladybug. (Called a "bug" I believe.) It fell from my camera and I lost it but would love another if I could find one locally. It looked grand (being red it set off nicely the red Leica logo on the camera body)and it was small - requiring a finger point to use. This helped with a smooth release. I have various others which I use from time to time but the bug is my preferred one. (It is a question of personal preference solely I believe). The one I like next best is Tom Abraham's convex shaped stainless one which again works because it allows you to fire the button with the tip of the finger alone.

http://www.matchtechnical.com/Pages/...tReleases.aspx

The above link is to the latest version of Match Technical's releases and I like the 'O' ring which helps by using friction to stop it from coming off accidentally as happened with me.

Old 12-23-2016   #6
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveywaugh View Post
Thanks very much. They both look great. I didn't that Tom's were still available.

Cameraquest, owned by Stephen Gandy, the owner of Rangefinderforum, has the Abrahamsson softies in stock:

Regular size soft release

Mini Soft Release

Old 12-23-2016   #7
glchua

I buy mine locally from De Camera Consultant. I think they ship internationally.

http://www.decameraconsultant.com/de...r-release.html

Old 12-23-2016   #8
kshapero
Press the Shutter

Tom A. are my fav's. Match Technical also very good.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kshapero

Cameras, Lenses and Photos

Old 12-23-2016   #9
BLKRCAT
99% Film

X3 on Tom. I use large black ones on all my Ms

Old 12-23-2016   #10
presspass
filmshooter

Another fan of Tom A's. They fit well and work perfectly. A tiny drop of the least aggressive Loctite - use the kind that allows the thread to be unscrewed - on the threads will keep them from unscrewing themselves while allowing you to remove them when you want to. An alternative is to train your hand to tighten the soft release when you pull the camera out of the bag.

Old 12-23-2016   #11
Timmyjoe

Yeah, Tom A's are the best IMHO. Have them for all my film cameras (Leica, Nikon, Canon), the small size works for me.

New Photo Books
Sturgis Stories
& Scenes From Sturgis
now available

Old 12-23-2016   #12
BLKRCAT
99% Film

Quote:
Originally Posted by presspass View Post
Another fan of Tom A's. They fit well and work perfectly. A tiny drop of the least aggressive Loctite - use the kind that allows the thread to be unscrewed - on the threads will keep them from unscrewing themselves while allowing you to remove them when you want to. An alternative is to train your hand to tighten the soft release when you pull the camera out of the bag.
I'm a perpetual tightener. I would be quite disappointed to know that the one feature that enhances my leica experience might just fall off. Luckily if it ever happened it could easily be replaced but still...

Old 12-23-2016   #13
BillBingham2

I used a Nikon AR-9, but I grew up with an AR-1 (both are innies, where as TA's an outtie).

B2 (;->

Old 12-23-2016   #14
jsrockit

I've used them all in the past, but these days I use several of the soft releases from here (believe or not) with luck:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Rangefinder-...A&_ssn=jiozhou

They come in small, medium, and large and they work on my Fujis well enough that they don't become loose but if I do lose one, they are cheap. All the other soft releases mentioned are great, but these are offered in many colors and aren't super expensive (and aren't as crappy as the typical ebay chinese soft releases).

Old 12-23-2016   #15
Archlich

The Chinese ones are nice no-frills little buttons. They come in big and small, concave and convex, with loads of colors, all lacquer on brass.

Dirt cheap as well: sometimes they go on sale in China and you can get one for as low as 1.2 yuan (17 cents). Won't be afraid to lose one of these!

Old 12-23-2016   #16
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archlich View Post
The Chinese ones are nice no-frills little buttons. They come in big and small, concave and convex, with loads of colors, all lacquer on brass.

Dirt cheap as well: sometimes they go on sale in China and you can get one for as low as 1.2 yuan (17 cents). Won't be afraid to lose one of these!
The ones I've mentioned feel a little better than the typical Chinese versions. Sure, nothing special, but they feel good and the threads are precise. However, for $0.17, you could change them every day! (waste aside)

Old 12-23-2016   #17
sepiareverb
genius and moron

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLKRCAT View Post
X3 on Tom. I use large black ones on all my Ms
Me three or five or whatever were up to now.

I had one fall off my 667W two weeks ago in Boston, I noticed it missing when I stopped in at Bromfield for a roll of film and a little warm up (it was really windy and cold that day). I backtracked and found it on the sidewalk about two blocks away. A few folks seem to have walked on it, but it threaded right back on and remains there today.

I've not lost one from an M, and I've been using them for ten years at least now. I also have some jiozhou eBay versions, brightly colored in painted brass that are also quite nice, and two bright chrome ones from Luigi. I use the small Tom A ones on my Rolleis as well.

Old 12-23-2016   #18
Godfrey
somewhat colored

I've not found any soft releases that work for me at all. In fact, when I try one, I tend to produce more ruined exposures due to camera shake than when I don't because I cannot roll my finger onto the release from the finger guard or surrounding surface of the camera body. Holding my finger above a release button and pressing down without the surround support is much less steady and tends to jiggle the camera.

G

Old 12-23-2016   #19
sepiareverb
genius and moron

I keep the tip of my index finger in the middle of the shutter speed dial, and release with the middle section of my index finger by squeezing rather than pressing. I can reliably shoot at 1/15 without too much effort, 1/8 or 1/4 occasionally if I can spend a few frames in trying.

Old 12-23-2016   #20
Dogman

I use Lensmate soft releases and thumb rests on all my Fuji cameras. They are the only cameras I own that can fit a standard screw-in soft release. While the thumb rests are camera specific, the soft releases fit threaded shutter releases.

https://lensmateonline.com/collections/fujifilm-x-e2s

Old 12-24-2016   #21
presspass
filmshooter

I"ve used the trick Bob describes and, as he says, it works wonderfully. Right now, I'm looking for a Nikon AR-1 to try on my IIIc just so I can shoot it with gloves on.

Old 12-24-2016   #22
zuiko85

Seems to be two schools of thought on a soft release. Those that use them and those who don't. I'm with Godfrey and Bob, I use the ball of my finger, take up the slack, then a 1/2 mm movement for release. A person standing three feet away, if they didn't hear the shutter release, could not see my finger move or know I'd released the shutter. Even with my Oly RC, a high tension, 'trapped needle' (the shutter button travel sets the selected aperture) I can take up the slack, and release the shutter with the last 1mm of travel at the exact moment. Sometimes, if I don't want to attract attention, I'll take up the slack with the camera held at the side, then raise, frame, release in one smooth movement and then quickly lower camera.

Old 12-24-2016   #23
Dwig

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuiko85 View Post
Seems to be two schools of thought on a soft release. Those that use them and those who don't. I'm with Godfrey and Bob, I use the ball of my finger, take up the slack, then a 1/2 mm movement for release. A person standing three feet away, if they didn't hear the shutter release, could not see my finger move or know I'd released the shutter. ...
+1

With a properly designed shutter release (Leica Ms, Nikon RF, most Nikon SLRs, and many others) there is a collar around the release button that stands around 1mm higher than the level of the release button at the point of the shutter release. With these, you simply cover the whole collar with the pad of your finger and release the shutter more by increasing pressure than by any real movement of your finger. This works far far better for me than any "soft release" I've ever tried.

BTW, the Nikon AR-1 was not marketed by Nikon as a "soft release". It was designed as a shutter release extension, primarily for the F with Photomic finders attached where the shutter speed dial connection made reaching the release button somewhat difficult for some users, particularly when wearing heavy gloves. As such, it is also a good solution for the OP's issue with his Barnack.

Old 12-24-2016   #24
Archlich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwig View Post
+1

With a properly designed shutter release (Leica Ms, Nikon RF, most Nikon SLRs, and many others) there is a collar around the release button that stands around 1mm higher than the level of the release button at the point of the shutter release. With these, you simply cover the whole collar with the pad of your finger and release the shutter more by increasing pressure than by any real movement of your finger. This works far far better for me than any "soft release" I've ever tried.

BTW, the Nikon AR-1 was not marketed by Nikon as a "soft release". It was designed as a shutter release extension, primarily for the F with Photomic finders attached where the shutter speed dial connection made reaching the release button somewhat difficult for some users, particularly when wearing heavy gloves. As such, it is also a good solution for the OP's issue with his Barnack.
That being said, there are shutter releases that were not properly designed. I have to use a soft release (Tom's work best) to improve the handling of my GF670W (same for the GF670), on which the shutter button I consider a weak design. It's too soft and inaudible with almost zero feedback. It's does not extend much above the film advance knob around it either.

Old 12-24-2016   #25
Dwig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archlich View Post
That being said, there are shutter releases that were not properly designed...
Quite true. There are probably many many more poorly designed shutter releases that those that are well designed. Still, the best results will come from a release technique that involves the least movement of your finger, absolutely no movement of any other part of you hand, and with enough control that you don't bottom out the release's travel.

Old 12-24-2016   #26
peterm1

You know the thought occurs that with the latest technology a conventional shutter release should not be required in all circumstances. Why not, for example, a voice activated one or for those moments when a silent activation is needed, an eye activated one perhaps? After all, many cameras already sense eye movements and use this to switch from LCD to EVF. Years back Canon experimented with eye controlled focus points within the finder of some of their DSLRs. I recall it working pretty well even then though many seemed not to like it. Other options might exist too - for example a lens mounted release (operated on the principle that squeezing the thumb and forefinger against the diametrically opposing sides of the lens produces less disturbance than pushing down with a forefinger.) Silly? Maybe but lots of ideas sound silly till suddenly they don't and then become accepted.

Old 12-24-2016   #27
sepiareverb
genius and moron

Quote:
Originally Posted by faberryman View Post
There has to be a button to press.

I must agree. With softie or without, the button is imperative. Otherwise what would my hand do?

Old 12-25-2016   #28
Fraser

I've always used an ar9 on my df and its never fallen off, sometimes ar1 on my nikon rf but it has a tendency to fire the camera when its in your bag or pocket never bothered on my leicas

Old 12-25-2016   #29
Out to Lunch

Soft releases...not exactly a rocket science product. A few years ago, I bought some 'no name' ones from amazon.de and they are still on my cameras.

Old 12-27-2016   #30
jsrockit

Maybe I'm a little different, but I don't use a soft release because it'll let me shoot at a lower shutter speed. I use them because I just like the way it feels.

Old 12-27-2016   #31
sepiareverb
genius and moron

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
Maybe I'm a little different, but I don;t use a soft release because it'll let me shoot at a lower shutter speed. I use them because I just like the way it feels.
I take the extra stop or two as a bonus, I also much prefer the handling of the camera with the soft release. I usually shoot at 1/30 or above anyway.