Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Image Processing: Darkroom / Lightroom / Film > Film / Developing / Chemistry

Color-film trials, Fujicolor Industrial 100 (& Industrial 400)
Old 02-25-2016   #1
znapper

Color-film trials, Fujicolor Industrial 100 (& Industrial 400)

I heard you people were complaining about film getting more expensive.
- It is

But here's a lesser known ISO 100, 35mm color-film from Fuji.

Cost $3,90 per 36 exp roll.

Not a bad film either

Have a looksie on my blog if you like: http://helino-photo.blogspot.no/2016...00-trials.html

Old 02-25-2016   #2
Volver

Nice review!

A really good film, that you can buy on a Japanese yahoo market for USD 2.6-3 for sets of 100 to 10 x 36.

The more remarkable film for me is Fujicolor Industrial 400, faster but with almost same grain as ISO 100 film, which is slightly expensive, i bought a set of 20x36 for USD 70.

These films are far better than cheap superia xtra films.

Here are some examples (portraits), also note that films were self developed at home:

Fujicolor industrial 400, Contax T3

Fujicolor industrial 100, Summicron Rigid

Fujicolor industrial 100, Konica M-Hexanon 28/2.8

Old 02-25-2016   #3
Sarcophilus Harrisii
Brett Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by znapper View Post
I heard you people were complaining about film getting more expensive.
- It is

But here's a lesser known ISO 100, 35mm color-film from Fuji.

Cost $3,90 per 36 exp roll.

Not a bad film either

Have a looksie on my blog if you like: http://helino-photo.blogspot.no/2016...00-trials.html
Some people might have been complaining, not all of us. There are film photographers who prefer to simply get on with the business of shooting it, enjoy the medium, and try to be good ambassadors for it by talking it up, not down. Nobody is, as far as I'm aware, forcing anyone to shoot with film, personally I wish those who want to use it would just use it and as much as they can—if complaining about the cost online is more important than photographing then, perhaps they should consider alternative imaging options because it would probably be a win/win for all parties. Comments not directed at any particular person, more, a response to years of moaning and whinging on the web by people who tend, on the whole, to get in the way of the rest of us who love film, wish to see it do as well as possible, and just want to keep on using it.

Having said that it's always great to see images from an unfamiliar (to me) film that look so good. Thanks for sharing these. What formats are they available in? 35mm and only 35mm?
Cheers
Brett

Old 02-25-2016   #4
jonmanjiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volver View Post
Nice review!

A really good film, that you can buy on a Japanese yahoo market for USD 2.6-3 for sets of 100 to 10 x 36.

The more remarkable film for me is Fujicolor Industrial 400, faster but with almost same grain as ISO 100 film, which is slightly expensive, i bought a set of 20x36 for USD 70.

These films are far better than cheap superia xtra films.

On the side of a single film box is printed "この商品は業務用にセットされたもので、単体では販売しておりません" which translates to "This product is packaged in bulk for business use, and is not for sale on its own." so I've always assumed that the Fujifilm ISO 100 and ISO 400 記憶用/業務用 films are just Fujicolor 100 and Fujicolor Superia X-TRA 400 repackaged in simple packaging for bulk selling to businesses at a lower price than the standard package versions. I don't remember seeing any official comments by Fujifilm about it, but that seems to be the general consensus in Japan too. I've used both these "for business use" versions and the standard packaged versions and have never noticed any difference between them, not that I was looking for any differences though. I'd be very interested to hear about the differences you see?!

As a side note, the packaging does indeed look kinda industrial but in this case "for business use" is a more accurate translation of 業務用 than "industrial" IMO, despite what its called on some Japan-based reseller websites.

Old 02-25-2016   #5
znapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcophilus Harrisii View Post
Having said that it's always great to see images from an unfamiliar (to me) film that look so good. Thanks for sharing these. What formats are they available in? 35mm and only 35mm?
Cheers
Brett
35mm only.
It's the only 100 ISO color film from Fuji in 35mm at the moment.
I was initially looking at http://www.japanexposures.com/shop/ , but they sell packs of 100 _only_

This is too much for me, so I looked around for a place where you can buy a lower amount and ended up buying 25 rolls from
http://camerafilmphoto.com/

100 rolls is way too much

Old 02-25-2016   #6
znapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonmanjiro View Post
On the side of a single film box is printed "この商品は業務用にセットされたもので、単体では販売しておりません" which translates to "This product is packaged in bulk for business use, and is not for sale on its own." so I've always assumed that the Fujifilm ISO 100 and ISO 400 記憶用/業務用 films are just Fujicolor 100 and Fujicolor Superia X-TRA 400 repackaged in simple packaging for bulk selling to businesses at a lower price than the standard package versions. I don't remember seeing any official comments by Fujifilm about it, but that seems to be the general consensus in Japan too. I've used both these "for business use" versions and the standard packaged versions and have never noticed any difference between them, not that I was looking for any differences though. I'd be very interested to hear about the differences you see?!

As a side note, the packaging does indeed look kinda industrial but in this case "for business use" is a more accurate translation of 業務用 than "industrial" IMO, despite what its called on some Japan-based reseller websites.
That is a very interesting analysis, I have no experience with Fujicolor 100 and X-TRA 400, so I really cannot tell myself, although I suspect the film to be something similar to Freestyle's repackaged 'EDU' and "premium" type films. (which proved to be Foma and Tri-X), maybe aimed at education or similar.

I do think that the Industrial-films are consumer-level type films though.

When compared to my old scans from Fuji Reala, it was remarkable how different they were in the grain characteristics.
I guess I came into the game too late to have anything else to compare the 'Industrial' with

Old 02-25-2016   #7
Volver

Quote:
I'd be very interested to hear about the differences you see?!
I've never used Superia 100 to compare the films, but "business use" 400 had much less grain in comparison to Superia xtra 400 i've been using. Also, Superia 400 had higher contrast and pinched reds.

Old 02-26-2016   #8
GarageBoy

Everytime I try and move beyond 35mm color negative - someone posts results like these... I need to learn to edit

Old 02-26-2016   #9
btgc

What are edge codes of industrial business film?

Old 02-26-2016   #10
znapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by btgc View Post
What are edge codes of industrial business film?

Old 02-26-2016   #11
znapper

Quote:

Fujicolor industrial 400, Contax T3
Wow, that's very impressive for 400 ISO.....hmm, maybe I should pull the trigger on the 400 too? ^^

Old 02-26-2016   #12
Finglas

Impressive images, thanks for this thread as I never heard of this film before and I'm using Fuji film for over 30 years.

It's not often I post in RFF (but I read it 4-5 times a week) so I have to give thanks here to the contributors and those that posted the links. I will need to try find some of this film - so many thanks guys for all the info here.

Old 02-28-2016   #13
jonmanjiro

Quote:
Taken from the Fujicolor 100 data sheet available here. Close, but not quite the same.... very interesting indeed!

So curiosity got the better of me Same films? I'll find out soon!
Interestingly, all these films are the same thickness - 0.14 mm thick.

Old 03-10-2016   #14
jonmanjiro

Quote:
So curiosity got the better of me Same films? I'll find out soon!
The results are in for the ISO 400 films.

Fuji Business/Industrial 400 (top) and Fuji Superia 400 X-TRA (current Japanese version - bottom) have the same latent image barcode = same film!!!

Interestingly, the latent image barcode shown in the data sheet for Superia X-TRA 400 (downloadable here) doesn't match what's actually on the film!

Old 03-10-2016   #15
Volver

Quote:
Thanks for the survey!

I found out that importers import no more Fuji Superia 400 to Russia, only C200 or "pro" films like Pro400H and slides. The last superia 400 that i've used was in 2012. By the way, i like "Industrial" for great colors even more than Kodak Portra and Fuji Pro400H that have subdued color palette.

Old 03-10-2016   #16
Huss

Quote:

Fuji Business/Industrial 400 (top) and Fuji Superia 400 X-TRA (current Japanese version - bottom) have the same latent image barcode = same film!!!

Interestingly, the latent image barcode shown in the data sheet for Superia X-TRA 400 (downloadable here) doesn't match what's actually on the film!

Excellent sleuthing! Kinda funny that some think it's a different/better/special film.
All these films are great. They are just packaged/marketed differently.

Old 03-10-2016   #17
nukecoke
⚛Yashica

There was a hype for this 業 film in Chinese networks several years ago. Since people who showed the results all used different scanning methods, there were lots of "oh this film looks quite different from..", as you could imagine .

One debunking post I read said that it's re-branded Fujicolor C100.

Some users reported the price for this film in Japan was $1.54 per roll. That's 3 years ago though.

flickr(abandoned)

About Film Cameras

Old 03-10-2016   #18
jonmanjiro

Quote:
Thanks for the survey!

I found out that importers import no more Fuji Superia 400 to Russia, only C200 or "pro" films like Pro400H and slides. The last superia 400 that i've used was in 2012. By the way, i like "Industrial" for great colors even more than Kodak Portra and Fuji Pro400H that have subdued color palette.
The current Japanese version was released in August 2011, so I'd say there's a good chance the Superia 400 you used in 2012 was a previous version of the film, which would account for the differences you're seeing. I too quite like the subdued colors of Industrial 400/current version X-TRA. And the film scans so nicely!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
Excellent sleuthing! Kinda funny that some think it's a different/better/special film.
All these films are great. They are just packaged/marketed differently.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukecoke View Post
There was a hype for this 業 film in Chinese networks several years ago. Since people who showed the results all used different scanning methods, there were lots of "oh this film looks quite different from..", as you could imagine .

One debunking post I read said that it's re-branded Fujicolor C100.

Some users reported the price for this film in Japan was $1.54 per roll. That's 3 years ago though.
Wow, prices have more than doubled since then! Yodobashi Camera sells the ISO 100 業 film in boxes of 100 rolls for 36,380 yen, which works out to about US$3.22 a roll. A single roll of Fujicolor 100 135-36 film, which is (most likely) the same stuff in different packaging, from Yodobashi Camera is now 810 yen (US$7.15) !!!!!!!!

Quote:
Here's the second photo in the Fuj Business/Industrial 400 film strip above!

Old 03-11-2016   #19
Alpsman

Thanks to znapper for this interesting thread.

Seems to be the same with Ilford Pan 100 & 400 which is here in Europe only available for business and industry but looked like FP4 & HP5. I've read some discussions in the net if it is the same or not.

Old 03-11-2016   #20
jonmanjiro

The results are in for the ISO 100 films now, too! Same as with the ISO 400 films, Fuji Business/Industrial 100 (top) and Fujicolor 100 (current Japanese version - bottom) have the same latent image barcode = same film!!!

And just like Fuji Superia X-TRA 400, the latent image barcode shown in the data sheet for Fujicolor 100 (downloadable here) doesn't match what's actually on the film!

Old 03-12-2016   #21
znapper

Ha! That's funny! ^^

Thanks for doing the checking jonmanjiro, cool that you were actually able to identify it

I've updated my blog to refer back to this thread, as it contains a lot of cool information =)

Old 03-12-2016   #22
analoged

I just bought the 100 iso in Shinjuku, for 184 yen 24exp roll, 2 months ago. Actually I go to the same little shop every time I visit and pick up a brick.

Old 03-13-2016   #23
jonmanjiro

Quote:
Ha! That's funny! ^^

Thanks for doing the checking jonmanjiro, cool that you were actually able to identify it

I've updated my blog to refer back to this thread, as it contains a lot of cool information =)
It was fun checking

Quote:
Originally Posted by analoged View Post
I just bought the 100 iso in Shinjuku, for 184 yen 24exp roll, 2 months ago. Actually I go to the same little shop every time I visit and pick up a brick.
Yodobashi in Shinjuku? Yodobashi's website lists the ISO 100 24 exposure box of 100 rolls for 21,890 yen. I guess you must have gotten your film tax free? A very nice advantage of buying as a tourist (I wish I could swing that ).

Old 03-15-2016   #24
analoged

Jon, Wasn't Yodobashi, but it's really close to. It's a corner store where you can make prints. Can't really remember the name, they have a bin with this film right by the entrance. I didn't use the tourist tax exemption.

Old 03-18-2016   #25
znapper

The Industrial 400 is now listed as discontinued at japanexposures
http://www.japanexposures.com/shop/f...-100-pack.html

And out of stock at Camerafilmphoto
http://camerafilmphoto.com/all-produ...-36-japan-ver/

Not quite sure where else one might get hold of some.

The 400-Xtra should be possible to get hold of, bought me 5 rolls just 14 days ago at a local shop

Old 03-24-2016   #26
RFluhver

I don't know if this film is discontinued or not, but you can still buy these films from Yodobashi in a box of 100 rolls!

Old 04-06-2016   #27
jonmanjiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by analoged View Post
Found it yesterday! Too bad its not 36 exp film...

Old 04-07-2016   #28
David Hughes
David Hughes

Hi,

As I scrolled down the picture I thought it was your shopping trolley for a few seconds!

Regards, David

PS What my wife would say if I came home with that lot to go in her fridge doesn't bear thinking about...

Old 05-22-2016   #29
zenza

Bumping an old thread a bit! Anyone know if you can buy this somewhere in Kyoto? I don't remember seeing it at Yodobashi when I was there last month...

Old 05-22-2016   #30
jonmanjiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenza View Post
Bumping an old thread a bit! Anyone know if you can buy this somewhere in Kyoto? I don't remember seeing it at Yodobashi when I was there last month...
Yodobashi Kyoto may not have it in stock but you can get them to order it for you. But boxes of 100 rolls only. Try Kitamura Camera for smaller lots. Kitamura has several stores around Kyoto.

Old 05-22-2016   #31
analoged

Yep thats it Jon. I agree 36exp would be nice! I'll be back in a month!

Old 05-23-2016   #32
zenza

Quote:
Yodobashi Kyoto may not have it in stock but you can get them to order it for you. But boxes of 100 rolls only. Try Kitamura Camera for smaller lots. Kitamura has several stores around Kyoto.
Awesome, thanks for the info! 100 rolls is a bit much, wish I could get a box of 50! I'll give Kitamura Camera a peek.

Old 06-01-2016   #33
RFluhver

As it turns out, you don't need to buy a box of 100; you can buy a brick of 10. There's a small shop in Ueno that sells bricks of 10 of the ISO400. I bought such a brick from there a few weeks ago.

Like this

Old 07-24-2016   #34
V3nzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFluhver View Post
As it turns out, you don't need to buy a box of 100; you can buy a brick of 10. There's a small shop in Ueno that sells bricks of 10 of the ISO400. I bought such a brick from there a few weeks ago.

Like this

Hi, do you still remember the shop's name from where you buy these? Thanks

Old 02-28-2017   #35
Mvbennett

Sorry to be late on this but the store most of you guys seemed to be using was Camera Kitamura. The shinjuku and Kawasaki locations both definitely carry the 100 ISOs. The 400 is a bit more hard to come by and I didn't see it in Shinjuku today. I know a reaaaaaally small shop that seeks it with a bit of markup in Yokohama if anyone really needs it that bad, but I've seen it at many small shops. Osawa Camera near Ebisu station should be a good bet for it too.

Old 02-28-2017   #36
sara

The photo shop I work at sells this, but 400 + 24 exp and it's more expensive than Fuji Superia 400 36 exp. I've seen a lot of people use it. Apparently the reds pop out in this film.

Old 02-28-2017   #37
jonmanjiro

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sara View Post
The photo shop I work at sells this, but 400 + 24 exp and it's more expensive than Fuji Superia 400 36 exp. I've seen a lot of people use it. Apparently the reds pop out in this film.
Hi Sara, FYI I compared the latent image bar codes of Industrial 400 and Superia 400 on the film itself, and they were identical. Fuji Industrial 400 and Fuji Superia 400 are the same film.

Old 02-28-2017   #38
dourbalistar

Quote:
Originally Posted by V3nzy View Post
Hi, do you still remember the shop's name from where you buy these? Thanks
Back in July 2016, Yaotomi Camera Shop in Osaka had bricks of 10 for the 400 ISO film. I regret not buying a brick, as I wasn't able to find any in Tokyo later on my trip.

Yaotomi in the basement of the JR Osaka Umeda Station, near the entrance to the South Gate building. Hammerhead Shark's blog has a post about how to get there.

Old 02-28-2017   #39
sara

Quote:
Hi Sara, FYI I compared the latent image bar codes of Industrial 400 and Superia 400 on the film itself, and they were identical. Fuji Industrial 400 and Fuji Superia 400 are the same film.
I guess it's more of a marketing thing then ��
But yeah I haven't tried it out myself. My colleague has shot it and claimed then it was slightly more red.

Old 04-05-2018   #40
dourbalistar

The Fujicolor Industrial 100 is a great, inexpensive film!

2018.01.20 Roll #140-001079350027.jpg
by dourbalistar, on Flickr

I found it at Kitamura in Shinjuku thanks to analoged and jonmanjiro. Bought a bunch, and immediately loaded a roll in the Olympus XA2 that I had with me.

2016.07.28 Roll #083-25800002.jpg
by dourbalistar, on Flickr

flickr