Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Leicas and other Leica Mount Cameras > Leica M Film Cameras

I need a strap for my new MP :)
Old 09-19-2016   #1
v.kapoor

I need a strap for my new MP :)

Hey RFF!

It's my first post on the forum. I'm the proud new owner of a Leica MP.
I'm looking for a solid strap. This camera is much heavier than my Zeiss Ikon was, so I'm considering a leather one. A couple questions:

Leather vs Cloth
Luigi vs Cub and Co?
Artist & Artisan silk or acrylic cloth?

Thank you!

Make your own - better & cheaper
Old 09-19-2016   #2
alfredian

Make your own - better & cheaper

Hi, and welcome to RFF. I make most of my own straps. Strapworks.com has a nice array of colors in Nylon straps, half-inch or 3/8", plus either plastic (black or white) or metal (wide variety of colors/finishes) sliders. For split-rings ("O" or "D") you're on your own, but they are available on-line. For under USD$5.00 you can have a nice cloth (Nylon) strap, your color choice, your length choice.

My experience is that the plain colors, especially Silver/grey, Black or Brown are the softest & most flexible feel. The silver/grey is great for chrome cameras. For lightweight gear (Nikon S2, for example) I can go with a 3/8" wide strap & black plastic sliders. Heavyweights (Leica M5 or Nikon F) I put onto a 1/2" width - to spare my neck.

Check them out - shipping is a bit pricey, but only if you don't buy much (fixed-rate, up to a point). Enjoy - and be master of your fate.--alfredian

Old 09-19-2016   #3
bayernfan

The strap I use on all of my cameras (other than compacts):

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...Anti_Slip.html

It's seriously that good.

Old 09-19-2016   #4
v.kapoor

Alfredian- your link doesn't work.

Bayernfam- which cameras do you use it on?

Thanks!

Old 09-19-2016   #5
taemo

my vote goes to the A&A cloth strap
before actually trying one I couldnt understand why some liked it, for me it's the soft texture and also cloth strap spreads the camera weight better than the silk cord.

used the cloth strap previously on the M240, X-E2 and now X-T2
I also have a Lance silk cord camera strap that I used previously on the M9.
not a big fan of leather straps.

Old 09-19-2016   #6
SolaresLarrave
My M5s need red dots!

I've used the Leica and it didn't do it for me when I take the camera for long walks. After a while, the strap sinks into your shoulder and starts hurting. My recommendation is the Domke gripper sold by B&H.

Pros: inexpensive, comfortable, tough and long-lasting.
Cons: not big in the cool factor (but then, you shoot Leicas, don't want to be noticed), not a large variety of colors. They're also backordered, which will tell you something about them...

I also have my M5s with Op/Tech straps... but they're not as tough as the Domkes.

Take care!
My Nikon D700 Neophyte's Guide

Old 09-19-2016   #7
Darthfeeble
But you can call me Steve

The Domke 1.5" with swivels, run it through the washer a couple times and it's the most comfortable strap out there.

Old 09-19-2016   #8
KarlG

I use a braided Annie Barton strap with my MP.

Check out https://www.barton1972.com/camerastrap (I bought from an Australian retailer, so not sure about pricing / shipping etc, as they appear to be in Hong Kong)
Website | Flickr | Instagram

Old 09-19-2016   #9
BLKRCAT
99% Film

I use a Domke gripper on all of my cameras. M bodies, p67 and Fuji g690.

My only qualm with the gripper straps is the eyelets they use. But the strap itself is magnificent.

They are there at ...
Old 09-19-2016   #10
alfredian

They are there at ...

I just Googled Strapworks and the site came up - www.strapworks.com. I have a couple of M4 bodies, an M5 and several of the Nikon S2/S3 family on the nylon straps. I even have a Rolleiflex T on one, but you have to be "creative" with the attachment to the camera. They cater to the sailboat trade so they have a lot of the "round" Dacron, etc. materials used on halliards and other nautical tasks. --alfredian

Old 09-19-2016   #11
bayernfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by v.kapoor View Post
Bayernfan - which cameras do you use it on?
Leica M4, Leica M2-R, Nikon F3

Old 09-19-2016   #12
v.kapoor

Thanks everyone!

Domkes are cool, but the quick release stuff is just too much gadgetry for me.
Anyone have experience w Luigi's straps or Cub and Co?

Old 09-19-2016   #13
back alley
IMAGES

lance...non adjustable with quick release....
best damn strap out there!

Old 09-19-2016   #14
Archlich

Personally for a "user" camera I prefer polyster and acrylic over leather, as they are comfortable, come cheaper, require less care, handle moisture better/ can be washed. Not as beautiful as the more luxurious leather straps though.

The A&A/Voigtlander acrylic straps are excellent.

Old 09-19-2016   #15
aizan

for a well finished leather strap, look at jnk/arte di mano or artisan & artist. so many companies are cutting corners, it's just not worth it.

i like a&a cloth straps, especially the acam-104, and upstraps.

Old 09-19-2016   #16
presspass
filmshooter

Another vote for the A&A cloth strap. If you want one that will stay on your shoulder and is flexible, google the Upstrap. They stay put better than the Domke grippers, don't loose tiny pieces of rubber as they age, and are much more flexible than the the Leica brand ones. They sell models for everything from a Leica M to the heavy pro-level DSLRs. I use them on Ms as well as Canon digitals. Great straps and a great company to deal with.

Old 09-19-2016   #17
Chubberino
-

Cecilia Leather strap. These are on all f my cameras.

http://www.shopcecilia.com/products/...her-2-5cm-neck

Old 09-19-2016   #18
Jockos

I have two Luigis for my M3s, they are very good. I also have a full case, which I like very much, it's really soft.

The quick release fasteners are not so good, one of them broke on me - no damage to the camera.

Da gallery

Old 09-19-2016   #19
v.kapoor

Jockos- which model Luigi straps do you have? Any pics?

Thank you!

Old 09-19-2016   #20
michaelbialecki

As a general rule, I try to stay away from any straps that have metal parts on them (except where they connect to the strap lugs). I have been using the original Leica strap that comes with Leica M's, after awhile the rubber nubs wear off the neck "pad" and the strap tends to slip, so then I buy a new one. I also use a cloth A & A strap on one of my Leica's and I love it. As far as "quick releases" go and all of the other gadgets, I don't find them really necessary but you might think different.

A good friend of mine just acquired a mint Black Paint MP3, so I ordered him a strap from Luigi that doesn't have any metal on it at all (weave the leather through the holes), it hasn't arrived yet so I can't speak of the quality, but from what I have heard, he makes excellent products.

Cheers,
Michael

Old 09-19-2016   #21
v.kapoor

Michael- you must be referring to Luigi's "Essential" strap. Would love to hear how it looks/feels once you get your hands on it. Thanks!

Old 09-19-2016   #22
Dikaiosune01

I've gone through so many straps, I thought I would chime in.

My favourite strap is the Cub and Co, leather and adjustable strap. I would get more for my other cameras, but they are a bit pricey. (Shipping is expensive too)

I like leather more than cloth because the cloth just seems to wear and become more abrasive over more use. Additionally, where I am, it is extremely humid and the sweat gets into the cloth and can get kind of disgusting. Where it ages the leather quite nicely.

When I'm not using the Cub and Co strap, I have the standard leica carry strap. They are so easy to attach. They don't have any weird dangling bits hanging around. The shoulder strap holds very securely. it is a very nice strap. On one of mine (I have two of the leica straps) it has begun to fray around the plastic buckles that secures the D-Rings.

Both the cup and Co Strap and the Leica strap can be easily malleable where I can wrap the strap around my wrist and use it like a wrist strap.

I never liked the domke Gripper, it grips to everything. My jacket, my arm. My bag. It makes it extremely difficult to easily swing the camera round. I'd have to make sure the strap is not in actual contact with any other surface first. The Gripper lives up to its namesake. it grips.

I steered away from the annie Barton Straps because they weren't adjustable. And the leather needs a lot of work before they are pliable enough to be wrapped around the wrist. Then again, these straps were never designed to be wrapped around the wrist like how I use the leica strap, or the Cub and Co.

I also used the Artisan and Artist leather straps for a brief while. Things are too short. The camera rides too high on my chest, and knocks off my glasses every time I try to remove the strap from my neck. It is like a T-Shirt with a neckline that is too small. And the strap isnt' adjustable. I seriously regretted that purchase.

Old 09-20-2016   #23
Jockos

Quote:
Jockos- which model Luigi straps do you have? Any pics?

Thank you!
Ordinary Deluxe straps, not the new style!

I can get another picture when I get home if you'd like!

Da gallery

Old 09-20-2016   #24
v.kapoor

Dikaoisune- that was very helpful, thanks!

Jockos- sure, would love to see another pic!

Old 09-20-2016   #25
Deardorff38

Harry Benz makes great straps
I use one on my MP with Leicavit
harrybenz.com

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Old 09-20-2016   #26
jbhthescots

Quote:
Hey RFF!

It's my first post on the forum. I'm the proud new owner of a Leica MP.
I'm looking for a solid strap. This camera is much heavier than my Zeiss Ikon was, so I'm considering a leather one. A couple questions:

Leather vs Cloth
Luigi vs Cub and Co?
Artist & Artisan silk or acrylic cloth?

Thank you!

Easily the best strap for an MP is the Leica strap that came with the M3 - better still, just leave the M3 on the strap and sell the MP!

Old 09-20-2016   #27
sepiareverb
genius and moron

There is only one strap, the Domke Gripper. Available in regular or wide. But wide sucks.

Old 09-20-2016   #28
MikeChong
oldskhool

Cub & Co all the way. The simple and elegant adjustable sling strap. Black for stealth or brown for a real classic look. You will not regret it. Quality is unsurpassed.

Old 09-20-2016   #29
cparekh

I use Tamarkin's leather straps on all my rangefinders. They are simple, attractive, and made of Horween leather.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Old 09-20-2016   #30
Canyongazer
Canyongazer

V., I agree on both counts which I why my Domke Grippers are the version without quick release.

Fuji X Pro2
Fuji X E2
Fuji X100s
Panasonic GX1 w/ 20mm F1.7
Nikon D800E

introspection.zenfolio.com

Old 09-21-2016   #31
Ken Ford
Refuses to suffer fools

Quote:
Thanks everyone!

Anyone have experience w Luigi's straps or Cub and Co?
I use Domkes on everything, but only the non-QD versions. I seriously dislike QD straps.

Leica: M-P Typ 240 - M6 - Leicavit M - RapidWinder - Motor M - 21 Super-Elmar - 28 Ultron - 35 Summicron ASPH - 40 Summicron - 75 APO-Summicron ASPH - 75 Summarit-M - 75 Color-Heliar - 90 Elmar-C
Nikon RF: S2 - S3 2000 - 35/2.5 - 50/2 - 50/1.4 Millennium - 105/2.5 - 135/3.4
X-Pro2, X-M1, X100s, NEX-7, dp0 Quattro, N1V1, N1V2, oodles of other stuff

Old 09-21-2016   #32
maddoc
... likes film.

I use a couple of A&A acrylic tape straps (ACAM-103N) with all my Leicas since a couple of years. No detectable wear, works well with a heavy lens (Noctilux or similar) mounted on the camera and I can sling it around my wrist and use it as a wrist strap.

flickr
pBase

Old 09-21-2016   #33
unixrevolution

Leather straps are great, but I like to be comfortable while shooting, and the straps that work best for me are the Made-in-USA OP/Tech straps. I have op-techs on everything from my M to my 6x7, and many others.

https://optechusa.com/straps.html

Not expensive or particularly pretty, so if you're looking for jewelry probably not that helpful, but I like them.

"I decided to stop collecting cameras and become a photographer."

Old 09-21-2016   #34
brennanphotoguy

Slim Domke Grippers for life.

Old 09-21-2016   #35
philipus
ʎɐpɹəʇɥƃıɹq looɟɹəʇƃıɹq

I've used the Barton Composer straps on all my Leicas and find that they are well made, durable and worth their (very reasonable) price. I've removed the strap lug protectors at each end and the shoulder pad which basically turns it into a simple leather strap. Works great. One can have the with the "raw" side to the shoulder for more grip or upside down to make the camera slide more easily (useful when carried across the body).

Camera position: In general as shown in Fig. H and J, but according to requirements other positions are also possible or more practical.

Old 09-21-2016   #36
SaveKodak

I have a strap on order for my M4. It's called the Ultra Precision Artisan Series XV Anti-Gravity Strap. It's made from hide sourced from specially raised Caribou that were born in Florida. It can only be weaved by Tibetan monks who are ironically pro China and have renounced their religion. They live in Williamsburg Brooklyn and run a Dunkin Donuts (But like, a really nice one). It costs about $2500 dollars and there is a 3 year waiting list. I'm really excited.

While I wait for THAT, I would recommend the thin Domke gripper strap.

Old 09-21-2016   #37
froyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayernfan View Post
The strap I use on all of my cameras (other than compacts):

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...Anti_Slip.html

It's seriously that good.
I'ma big fan too, though the Leica log is regrettable. It's very eady to adjusts and the pad is pretty grippy. Sometimes I wish the shoulder pad were not fixed in place, but the fixed position helps the camera hang beside my body without slipping. when I lean one way or the other.

Another benefit is that at the rather short length that I like to set it to, it forms a wrist-strap-sized loop that I can use if I don't want the camera hanging from my neck.

Old 09-21-2016   #38
froyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaveKodak View Post
I have a strap on order for my M4. It's called the Ultra Precision Artisan Series XV Anti-Gravity Strap. It's made from hide sourced from specially raised Caribou that were born in Florida. It can only be weaved by Tibetan monks who are ironically pro China and have renounced their religion. They live in Williamsburg Brooklyn and run a Dunkin Donuts (But like, a really nice one). It costs about $2500 dollars and there is a 3 year waiting list. I'm really excited.

While I wait for THAT, I would recommend the thin Domke gripper strap.
Is this the strap that improves focus accuracy by 25%, allows you to hand-hold down to 1/2 sec, and boost your creative vision tenfold?

Old 09-21-2016   #39
Tom A
RFF Sponsor

[IMG]Sony A7 Macro Planar 50mm f2.0 Kentique Design strap by T&T and Mr B Abrahamsson, on Flickr[/IMG]
I have been using a T34 strap from www.kentiquedesign.com/ on my MP for a bout a year. It has several advantages, the leather is superbly prepared, very soft and subtle and it does not tangle up. It is also wide, which relieves pressure on the neck with heavier lenses - and it does have protective pads for the strap-lugs. The marks on the camera comes from previous straps!

Old 09-21-2016   #40
giganova

I have one Artist & Artisan but it is way too short. Using Gordy straps on all my camera now.