Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Photography General Interest

Photography General Interest Neat Photo stuff NOT particularly about Rangefinders.

iPhone 7, who's getting it?
Old 09-08-2016   #1
marcr1230

iPhone 7, who's getting it?

My yearly survey of iPhone upgraders

I want to try the 7+ dual sensor camera
But I prefer the 7's size

Home button does not move - home dutton used to be a dimple
Now flat ( for fingerprint reader) and next week - doesn't depress

Water restistance is a good thing

Better screen but not AMOLED

Better battery life

Who's in?

Old 09-08-2016   #2
Jdi

Nope, too big.

Old 09-08-2016   #3
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Still happy with my iPhone 6.

The new wireless EarPods are on my list, however. I'll get a set of those as soon as they're available.

G

Old 09-08-2016   #4
jsrockit

Still a happy 6 plus user... and very happy that for once, after 2 years, my phone still works great.

Old 09-08-2016   #5
brennanphotoguy

I'm pretty happy with my 6 on iOS 10 but I'm gonna get a pair of the new AirPods though. I'm gonna wait till the redesigned iPhone comes out in 2017 before I upgrade. I like the size of my iPhone 6 but I could still be tempted to go for the bigger size depending on the features of the redesign.

Old 09-08-2016   #6
nikonhswebmaster
reluctant moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
Still happy with my iPhone 6.

The new wireless EarPods are on my list, however. I'll get a set of those as soon as they're available.

G
They won't work with your 6, they use a new form of Bluetooth, that while backwards compatible, is not in the 6.

Old 09-08-2016   #7
css9450

Only if my employer provides one for free (we're always a couple generations behind the curve).

Old 09-08-2016   #8
Timmyjoe

Nah, I upgrade my phone every four years or so, and just put my iPhone 4S to rest and picked up an SE. I also like the smaller phone size, so none of those new ones would work for me.

New Photo Books
Sturgis Stories
& Scenes From Sturgis
now available

Old 09-08-2016   #9
back alley
IMAGES

still using my iphone 5...i just can't keep up anymore...

Old 09-08-2016   #10
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikonhswebmaster View Post
They won't work with your 6, they use a new form of Bluetooth, that while backwards compatible, is not in the 6.
Don't be silly. Check the Apple website, AirPods page, and compatibility listing:
http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MMEF2AM/A/airpods

G

Old 09-08-2016   #11
taemo

no plan for me either.
i've owned a 6+ twice and 6s+ once, all times didn't last very long as the device is too big to carry around all the time.

happy with the 6s right now as the main thing I cared about the new s line was 12MP.
now a days i'm also moving back to shooting with a fuji camera primarily and then transfer it to the iphone or ipad afterwards.

Old 09-08-2016   #12
enasniearth

Water resistant / weatherproof

Only reason

Old 09-08-2016   #13
B-9
Devin Bro

I'll likely upgrade from my 5s to a 6 now that used prices will be taking a drop

RangefinderGuy @ Instagram

Old 09-08-2016   #14
MikeMGB

I have two phones, currently a 5S and a 6. I'm getting the 7 Plus and will rotate out the 5S.

Old 09-08-2016   #15
ronnies

Quote:
Originally Posted by back alley View Post
still using my iphone 5...i just can't keep up anymore...
Ditto

Ronnie

Old 09-08-2016   #16
sara

I have a 6 already and it'll be fine for a few years...
and besides I just bought a lens so...

Old 09-08-2016   #17
nikonhswebmaster
reluctant moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
Don't be silly. Check the Apple website, AirPods page, and compatibility listing:
http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MMEF2AM/A/airpods

G
Ah silly me!

Reviews of the buds have been saying they will of course work -- but are not fully compatible. They will not automatically pair and stay connected. It is not clear if they will register over iCloud with iPads, Apple Watches and Macs, unless the devices recognize the W1 chip.

My experience with multiple pairing of bluetooth has not been all that good. Multiple Apple wireless keyboards used with several devices easily become "confused" and will not sync, until all are deregistered. The W1 chip registration should end this issue. Hopefully. I may be a little fussy about what constitutes compatible. Keeping bluetooth synced is a PITA, at least for me.

The no daisy chain connector on the wired earphones seems shortsighted also, since using lightning headphones when charging is now impossible. Fortunately there are several external batteries with female lightning ports. The doc can be used at home to listen and charge with standard mini jack headphones, but does not have a lightning port at this time. Hopefully Apple or Belkin will work out a daisy chain headphone adapter for charging.

Old 09-08-2016   #18
taemo

Quote:
Originally Posted by enasniearth View Post
Water resistant / weatherproof

Only reason
i've been snowboarding, going to the beach, walk in the rain since the Iphone 4 and never had any issues.

Old 09-08-2016   #19
nikonhswebmaster
reluctant moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by taemo View Post
i've been snowboarding, going to the beach, walk in the rain since the Iphone 4 and never had any issues.
it is the back-pocket-toilet where the danger lies. Eww!

Old 09-08-2016   #20
squirrel$$$bandit

My contract's up, and I'm using the plus size already, so I'm gonna go for it. Excited to try the camera, especially the simulated shallow DOF feature. Very curious how this works, if it's all software, or if they're blurring the 28 equivalent while focusing the 56 equivalent. Also surprised it isn't shipping with this feature...

Old 09-08-2016   #21
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

It will be nice to be able to afford it, I hope, at sometime.

Old 09-08-2016   #22
kshapero
Press the Shutter

Maybe in six months. Like to see them get the bugs worked out.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kshapero

Cameras, Lenses and Photos

Old 09-08-2016   #23
Talus
pan sin sal

Not a fan of losing the headphone jack. I have been known to charge the phone and listen to my headphones at the same time. Former iPhones had the jack on the top of the phone, which I think would have been the way to go if internal space allowed. Then again, with the billions in fines that Apple is facing for tax evasion, I can see why they'd want their customers to have to purchase new proprietary headphones that are compatible with their phone.

Also, my 6 works great.

Old 09-08-2016   #24
gavinlg

Nice to see they've finally caught up with the rest of the tech world and implemented water proofing

Old 09-08-2016   #25
nikonhswebmaster
reluctant moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavinlg View Post
Nice to see they've finally caught up with the rest of the tech world and implemented water proofing
Not much is waterproof (only the Samsung Galaxy S7), our cameras are the worst offenders.

There still is no fully waterproof phone, only water resistant. Don't take them diving.

Old 09-08-2016   #26
jarski

Am on market for new phone, but no phone is worth 700usd/eur to me personally. Most likely it's OnePlus 3 or iPhone SE.

Old 09-08-2016   #27
squirrel$$$bandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talus View Post
Then again, with the billions in fines that Apple is facing for tax evasion, I can see why they'd want their customers to have to purchase new proprietary headphones that are compatible with their phone.

Also, my 6 works great.

I'm not a partisan for this or any other company, but Apple is not being fined for tax evasion. They followed Irish tax law to the letter and do not owe the country money according to its laws. But the EU is making a case that Ireland's tax policy violates EU guidelines, so that in fact Apple was undercharged.

Old 09-08-2016   #28
Talus
pan sin sal

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarski View Post
Am on market for new phone, but no phone is worth 700usd/eur to me personally. Most likely it's OnePlus 3 or iPhone SE.
Another strong contender is the Note 5. I use that when I'm traveling. The stylus comes in handy more than I imagined. It is a bit of a transition from using the iPhone at home though...

Old 09-08-2016   #29
f16sunshine

IOs 10 has Raw camera support.
That's more exciting than the new phone.

I'll stay with an "old" 6plus for now.
I like wired headphones and have several and a extra dongle is not appealing.

Old 09-08-2016   #30
willie_901

I will probably in January when my iPhone Upgrade Program eligibility renews. This assumes the monthly leasing fee will not increase. Time will tell. I would order the Jet Black finish.

My motivation is more storage, faster CPU, longer battery life and the camera image stabilization system. I welcome killing the headphone jack. I hate wires. I don't plan to buy the $160 ear buds though (well... in the unlikely event they fit me perfectly I may spurge). Bluetooth and AirPlay streaming are fine.
Basically, I mean, ah—well, let’s say that for me anyway when a photograph is interesting, it’s interesting because of the kind of photographic problem it states—which has to do with the . . . contest between content and form.
Garry Winogrand
williamchuttonjr.com

Old 09-08-2016   #31
gavinlg

Quote:
Not much is waterproof (only the Samsung Galaxy S7), our cameras are the worst offenders.

There still is no fully waterproof phone, only water resistant. Don't take them diving.
Samsung, Sony and Motorola are the main ones. I can vouch for both the Sony and the Motorola both being pretty resilient - one survived a few seconds submersion in a jug of beer, the other spent 30 minutes in a backpack that a milk carton had exploded in, while I was on a motorcycle. After those incidents I swore I'd never but a non water-resist phone again.

Old 09-08-2016   #32
willie_901

Quote:
Originally Posted by f16sunshine View Post

Linear TIFF files are possible with several apps right now. I record these with the excellent 645 Pro app using my 6S. 645 Pro calls these "dRAW TIFF"s. Lossless LZW compression is an option. Of course "dRAW TIFF"s really aren't raw files.

I read the OS 10 raw files are DNGs, so this would be another reason to upgrade... the same raw format Leica uses!
Basically, I mean, ah—well, let’s say that for me anyway when a photograph is interesting, it’s interesting because of the kind of photographic problem it states—which has to do with the . . . contest between content and form.
Garry Winogrand
williamchuttonjr.com

Old 09-08-2016   #33
nikonhswebmaster
reluctant moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by f16sunshine View Post

It is 2 inches long, you could put shrink tubing or tape on it if you are a careless type like me.

http://www.theverge.com/circuitbreak...cement-pricing

Old 09-08-2016   #34
sevo
Fokutorendaburando

Quote:
There actually are quite a lot of water resistant smartphones around. There was a water resistant version of the Samsung S4, the entire S5 range (including S5 edge and S5 mini) were water resistant, and it reappeared on the S7 and its variations. So are many Sony models (Z3 and up, the M aqua series, M5, ZR, and probably some more).

Quote:
The Sonys are IP68, submersion proof for unlimited amounts of time (rather than the IP67 half hour of Samsung and iPhone). But the IPx8 classification does not certify for any water pressure, so it won't be safe to drop them in the swimmer's pool! Besides, all makers explicitly state that their phones should not be operated under water, so they are at the very best a beach camera, and perhaps not even that.

Old 09-08-2016   #35
valdas

So Apple wants me to buy a new Sennheiser? Nope.

Old 09-08-2016   #36
Baby of Macon

I've no interest in phones for photography or anything else other than texts, mails and voice calls, so not for me.

Old 09-08-2016   #37
aizan

only if it has a histogram and i can take a photo one-handed while adjusting focus and exposure. the ergonomics are still terrible.

Old 09-08-2016   #38
Roger Hicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyjoe View Post
Nah, I upgrade my phone every four years or so, and just put my iPhone 4S to rest and picked up an SE. I also like the smaller phone size, so none of those new ones would work for me.
I upgrade my 'phone the same way I upgrade most things: when they wear out or stop working...

Cheers,

R.

Old 09-08-2016   #39
nikonhswebmaster
reluctant moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevo View Post
There actually are quite a lot of water resistant smartphones around. There was a water resistant version of the Samsung S4, the entire S5 range (including S5 edge and S5 mini) were water resistant, and it reappeared on the S7 and its variations. So are many Sony models (Z3 and up, the M aqua series, M5, ZR, and probably some more).
I have not made a study of Android phones, but as I recall SONY has had some bad press on just how water resistant their phones are?

I dried out girlfriend's totally immersed iPhone, freshwater, it came back to life. I had one which was badly fogged in cycling shorts, it also recovered. The main problem is the iPhone has a water detector in it.

There is hope after toilet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post
I upgrade my 'phone the same way I upgrade most things: when they wear out or stop working...
You would not be a good customer for iPhones, I have had four, and even the first one, now 12 years old, still works. I replace the batteries myself, about $15.

Old 09-08-2016   #40
mpaniagua

Quote:
I have not made a study of Android phones, but as I recall SONY has had some bad press on just how water resistant their phones are?

I dried out girlfriend's totally immersed iPhone, freshwater, it came back to life. I had one which was badly fogged in cycling shorts, it also recovered. The main problem is the iPhone has a water detector in it.

There is hope after toilet.

You would not be a good customer for iPhones, I have had four, and even the first one, now 12 years old, still works. I replace the batteries myself, about $15.
Just droppped by phone into the toilet (fortunatly empty, the toilet I mean). So lets see if I will need a new phone after it get dry . Problably then I will answer the topic question.