Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Leicas and other Leica Mount Cameras > Epson R-D1 Leica M mount Digital Rangefinder

Epson R-D1 Leica M mount Digital Rangefinder A dedicated forum to the first Digital Leica M mount rangefinder camera.

Ten Years After
Old 07-19-2016   #1
nemjo

Ten Years After

It was on 13th of July in 2006 when I got my RD-1s from Robert White. Sometime I feel it was extremely long ago, sometime as it was yesterday.
I used the camera exclusively for years. Became somewhat disloyal in 2012 as I bought a Sony Nex 7. To be sincere it was not the camera on it's own right what made me change, but the possibility to use the Contax G lenses - they are wonderful to be honest.
As the 10th anniversary came I thought more about the Epson and planned to celebrate it. Unfortunately the weather was brutal here these days, so nothing to photograph. Today I couldn't resist. Took the 28 amd 35 Ultrons along with the 50 Nokton. Sure, they are wonderful too. Now it is very possible that the good old Epson gets a second chance.

Ultron 28

Ultron 35

Nokton 50

nemjo

ps.: How are yours?

Old 07-21-2016   #2
aldobonnard

Hi nemjo,
Good to see those wonderful epson R-D1 colours !

Old 07-21-2016   #3
robert blu
quiet photographer

Great! The camera and the photos!
robert

my quiet photographer's blog

My RFF photos and my albums on RFF

Old 07-21-2016   #4
rbelyell

if that camera could shoot only 2-3 frames per second i would still be using it every day! love the clarity and colors. love the simplicity.

Old 07-21-2016   #5
shadeofpale

Still use my Epson (not every day), and it has got some siblings.

Old 07-21-2016   #6
BLKRCAT
99% Film

one of the cameras I regret selling. I dont mind my M8 now but there's something about the RD-1 that I preferred to the M8.

Old 07-25-2016   #7
nemjo

The weather is still against me. So a B&W now with the Heliar 75.

nemjo

Old 07-25-2016   #8
bennyng
Benny Ng

Although it was the first digital rangefinder camera ever created, it's still an all time favourite for me. Despite the 6mp sensor, it's still a bucket of fun every time.

Cheers,

Old 07-25-2016   #9
Mr_Flibble

Bought mine in 2009, when it was already 4 years old.
It's been my main digital RF since then.

It's developed the nasty habit of shooting blank frames every once in a while.

Old 07-25-2016   #10
nemjo

When it happens to me - and it happens quite often - I think, that was the photo of my life.
But that also means that all of my photos of life wanted to come through the RD-1

nemjo

Old 07-25-2016   #11
kertong

Wow, this thread was a fun read. Looks like I'm not the only one to have moved on to newer and "greater" cameras only to miss the R-D1.

I sold my R-D1 in 2009 or so and "upgraded" to a leica M8, and eventually went to the M9-P. While the resolution and clarity/detail is obviously improved, and the lower crop factor (and full frame in the M9P) was nice, the images always came out looking a bit flat compared to what I was used to getting from the R-D1. I'd crank vibrance/contrast and fiddle with white/black points in post trying to recreate the R-D1 look, but I just can't. The R-D1 had a very lush, natural saturation to its images that I haven't found anywhere else (other than some well exposed slide film). The way it handled color along with the rich inky blacks - such a lovely look.

Almost tempted to get another RD1.... on top of the image characteristics, I absolutely loved the handling and feel of operating the camera. digital with a manual shutter crank, dials to set ISO, analog needles, and that lovely 1x viewfinder.... it was absolutely perfect with my 40mm nokton 1.4!

Old 07-26-2016   #12
Lss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Flibble View Post
It's developed the nasty habit of shooting blank frames every once in a while.
My R-D1 started shooting some blanks as well a few years ago. I got rid off the battery I used when this happened, and never experienced the issue again. Cure or coincidence.

Old 07-27-2016   #13
nemjo

Ha! That's an other phenomenon! Fortunately I've never seen that personally. What I ment is simly take a picture of the lenscap (left on).

nemjo

Old 07-27-2016   #14
Mr_Flibble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lss View Post
My R-D1 started shooting some blanks as well a few years ago. I got rid off the battery I used when this happened, and never experienced the issue again. Cure or coincidence.
I'm hoping it is a battery issue. But I have tried several different batteries. From what I can tell it's the shutter failing to fire.
The chance of it happening seems to be greatly reduced with shooting in JPG instead of RAW

I've had some low-capacity batteries before that would send the camera to sleep mode after taking a photo. That's annoying as well.

Apart from the issues I still love the R-D1. I know it's never happening but I'd love to see an up-sensored version of it..

Old 08-29-2016   #15
frieri

Hi to you all.
I still use an Epson R-D1, one of my favorite camera ever.
I'm part of a Facebook group dedicated to the R-D1: https://www.facebook.com/groups/epsonrd1/?fref=ts (sadly, not one of the most popular group for photographers)
Well, I'm not the only one here... ;-)

Old 08-29-2016   #16
Jamie Pillers
Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by frieri View Post
Hi to you all.
I still use an Epson R-D1, one of my favorite camera ever.
I'm part of a Facebook group dedicated to the R-D1: https://www.facebook.com/groups/epsonrd1/?fref=ts (sadly, not one of the most popular group for photographers)
Well, I'm not the only one here... ;-)
I went to your facebook group and found it to be locked. Are there photos there that you'd like us to look at? Thanks.

Fuji X-H1; X-Pro1; XF10; Polaroid 250 (waiting for an 'art' project)

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Old 08-30-2016   #17
frieri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Pillers View Post
I went to your facebook group and found it to be locked. Are there photos there that you'd like us to look at? Thanks.
I’m not the group admin, and yes, the group is closed, but anyone who has a Facebook account can ask to join or be added or invited by a member.

Old 08-30-2016   #18
leica M2 fan

Never had an RD-1 but have enjoyed the color and rendering through photos posted here. Wonderful stuff!

TONY
Leica M2 l Nikon D 700 l Sony A7 I

MyGallery

Old 09-08-2016   #19
Bille

Quote:
Originally Posted by kertong View Post
Wow, this thread was a fun read. Looks like I'm not the only one to have moved on to newer and "greater" cameras only to miss the R-D1.

I sold my R-D1 in 2009 or so and "upgraded" to a leica M8, and eventually went to the M9-P. While the resolution and clarity/detail is obviously improved, and the lower crop factor (and full frame in the M9P) was nice, the images always came out looking a bit flat compared to what I was used to getting from the R-D1. I'd crank vibrance/contrast and fiddle with white/black points in post trying to recreate the R-D1 look, but I just can't. The R-D1 had a very lush, natural saturation to its images that I haven't found anywhere else (other than some well exposed slide film). The way it handled color along with the rich inky blacks - such a lovely look.

Almost tempted to get another RD1.... on top of the image characteristics, I absolutely loved the handling and feel of operating the camera. digital with a manual shutter crank, dials to set ISO, analog needles, and that lovely 1x viewfinder.... it was absolutely perfect with my 40mm nokton 1.4!

Nice cinematic look to these.

Old 09-08-2016   #20
Darthfeeble
But you can call me Steve

Bought one, loved it but sold it to finance an M8. Didn't love that, sold it to finance another RD1, loved it but sold it to finance an M9. Did love that but missed my Epson, bought another and you will have to pry it from my cold, dead hands.

Old 09-08-2016   #21
Jamie Pillers
Skeptic

The image quality from that 'old' technology is excellent!! Have you made prints from RD1 files? If so, what's the largest print size you can make with those files and have a print that looks like the images you've shown here? Thanks.

Fuji X-H1; X-Pro1; XF10; Polaroid 250 (waiting for an 'art' project)

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Old 09-08-2016   #22
frieri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Pillers View Post
The image quality from that 'old' technology is excellent!! Have you made prints from RD1 files? If so, what's the largest print size you can make with those files and have a print that looks like the images you've shown here? Thanks.
Up to A2 and roll (mostly fine art papers) with my Epson desktop printers (Pro and Stylus Photo).

Old 09-09-2016   #23
Benjamin Marks

I owned one of these for a couple of years, and enjoyed using it. But backlash in the RF system made focusing fast lenses wide open dicey and I, like many here, sold it to purchase an M8, which in turn was sold to make way for an M9, which I do prefer over the RD-1.

For those who pine for the RD-1, I have a question: do you think it was the imaging chip or the "haptics" that made the camera a classic for you? I ask, because when I have become nostalgic for the RD-1 IQ, I have thought about purchasing a Nikon D100 used. Same chip and all that. Surely, a RAW file from the Nikon could be tweaked to match the response of the RD-1. No?

So how about it RFC: what has stopped you from from dropping $80 on a used D100 to revisit the magic of the RD-1's IQ? Interested to hear from you all. Or is it the general sense that there was something about the handling of the camera or the qualities of the lenses used on the RD-1 that has kept you all from this approach?

Old 09-10-2016   #24
frieri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Marks View Post
... what has stopped you from from dropping $80 on a used D100 to revisit the magic of the RD-1's IQ?
They are two completely different tools.

Old 09-16-2016   #25
silent1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kertong View Post
it was absolutely perfect with my 40mm nokton 1.4!

Absolutely stunning!
Please share more photos!

RD-1 10 years later.
Old 09-17-2016   #26
Alex Shishin

RD-1 10 years later.

I got my RD-1s in July 2006. It has worked faithfully over the years. I've used it intermittently. Still, it was used heavily when it was in service. The rubber covers stretched and oozed off. I sent it to Cameraletter for Griptack. I later managed to reshape and reglue the rubber rear grip, which is essential for the camera's stability.

It remains a solid camera.

The last time I used it was in late 2014 to shoot a photo essay which was not published (without feedback or reply to my inquiry in early 2016). I have not used it since. I would like to.

The RD-1 has been surpassed. It remains a excellent picture taker.

still going on
Old 03-28-2017   #27
nemjo

still going on

Spring is here. 50mm Heliar at 8 (perhaps).

nemjo

Old 03-28-2017   #28
Archiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Marks View Post
For those who pine for the RD-1, I have a question: do you think it was the imaging chip or the "haptics" that made the camera a classic for you? I ask, because when I have become nostalgic for the RD-1 IQ, I have thought about purchasing a Nikon D100 used. Same chip and all that. Surely, a RAW file from the Nikon could be tweaked to match the response of the RD-1. No?
In-camera raw generation aside, you'd also need to be able to put M-mount glass on the Nikon D100. That's not going to happen.

There are times that I regret not buying a R-D1s that I held in my hands in Map Camera in Tokyo, 2010. Threads like this don't help.

Old 03-28-2017   #29
Mr_Flibble

I said goodbye to my R-D1 last year, I'm letting a friend borrow it for undetermined time. Switched to the Leica M-E.

Now, some 6 months on I still miss the ergonomics and IQ of the camera.

Old 03-29-2017   #30
jarski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archiver View Post
In-camera raw generation aside, you'd also need to be able to put M-mount glass on the Nikon D100. That's not going to happen.
on the balance, you have lots of classic Nikkor's to put on D100 instead.

there was RD1 for weeks on offer in local auction site. think it finally sold around 200-300euros. while following the sell, the buy-and-try curiosity almost got me, but then it passed

Old 03-29-2017   #31
willie_901

The CCD bloom artifact from the lamp in the first image makes me nostalgic.
Basically, I mean, ah—well, let’s say that for me anyway when a photograph is interesting, it’s interesting because of the kind of photographic problem it states—which has to do with the . . . contest between content and form.
Garry Winogrand
williamchuttonjr.com

Old 03-29-2017   #32
back alley
IMAGES

https://www.flickr.com/photos/back_a...57614738057877

Old 05-22-2017   #33
shadeofpale

My R-D1 still stays with me (in use). Can’t give it away and fortunately it's not necessary financially

Old 05-22-2017   #34
froyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadeofpale View Post
My R-D1 still stays with me (in use). Can’t give it away and fortunately it's not necessary financially
Maybe in the EU, but in the US these relics go for $900 or more regularly. They have held their price remarkably well over the last several years and after the initial sharp decline that affects most digital cameras.

I know because despite my predilection for the 35mm FOV, the R-D1 is a camera I am hoping to try one day, and I check the used prices frequently.

75mm
Old 05-22-2017   #35
nemjo

75mm

From the beginning I have troubles with focusig anything longer than 50mm. So time to time I force myself to practice it with the 75mm Heliar. Framing is not an issue, the lines for 50 are close enough.

nemjo

Old 05-24-2017   #36
shadeofpale

The new frogprince- a shot from today with the little Color Skopar 28/ 3,5.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg New frogprince.jpg (58.3 KB, 28 views)

Just make the thread live
Old 11-27-2017   #37
nemjo

Just make the thread live

Ultron 28mm

nemjo

Old 11-28-2017   #38
Scrambler

Makes me want to go shooting straight away.

Re sensor (q from 2 years ago): thats not the secret sauce. I have a Pentax K100d with the same sensor. Colours are quite different and I suspect the software in the Epson has some magical power. What I really think is that Epson's approach to coding the sensor data into a colour image is particularly good. I dunno if Nikon nailed it but Pentax, while good, dont quite get it to sing as well. Mind you the sensor glass messes up my wides. They do much better on film.

Old 11-28-2017   #39
willie_901

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrambler View Post
..What I really think is that Epson's approach to coding the sensor data into a colour image is particularly good. ...
The light transmission properties of the R, G and B filters in a sensor's color-filter array assembly heavily influence color rendering.

DIfferences in CFA materials are likely responsible for the color rendering aesthetic you mention.

Differences in coding are typically found in in-camera raw data demosaicing algorithms rather than the algorithms that simply write the analog-to-digital converted output to in-camera memory.
Basically, I mean, ah—well, let’s say that for me anyway when a photograph is interesting, it’s interesting because of the kind of photographic problem it states—which has to do with the . . . contest between content and form.
Garry Winogrand
williamchuttonjr.com

Old 11-28-2017   #40
Darthfeeble
But you can call me Steve

My third camera was getting me worried as it was an older first gen camera. I decided to buy an R-D1x, NOW we're talking some serious money. Finally found one from Japan at a more reasonable price and have put #3 into semi retirement. It sits on the shelf with a CV28/2 ready and willing to participate. I'll take it out today. The x gets regular use these days. Egad, I talk like they were children!